closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Mountain bikers on here?

Craftsman

Any Mountain bikers on here?

For the past few year's I've been riding a full sus MTB, I've decided the bike is looking tired so instead of upgrading I'm gonna buy a new hardtail, It's a bloody minefield. Looked at one the weekend with 29" wheels, big ain't they? does anyone own a bike with 29's? what do you think, if you were buying again would you for for the same size wheel, stick with 26 or go for 27.5's?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    For the past few year's I've been riding a full sus MTB, I've decided the bike is looking tired so instead of upgrading I'm gonna buy a new hardtail, It's a bloody minefield. Looked at one the weekend with 29" wheels, big ain't they? does anyone own a bike with 29's? what do you think, if you were buying again would you for for the same size wheel, stick with 26 or go for 27.5's?
    I do a lot of mountain biking and I had a full sus with 26" wheels and a couple of months ago I got a new full sus bike but I went with the 27.5" wheels as to me the 29's are just a bit too big and it knocks out the bike sizing as well.

Master
    I've been a keen mountain biker for over 25 years now and had a fair selection of bikes during that time and tend to keep a passing interest in what is happening in the industry.

I would agree that for someone coming new into the market for a bike it is a bit of a minefield at the moment with countless "standards", wheel sizes, tyre setups (26, 26+, 27.5, 27.5+, 29, 29+, and "fat"!) and evolving technology, but on the plus side it also means there is a world of choice to suit you. Also there are not that many bad bikes any more so it's hard to go wrong.

I would also say there is a monumental amount of BS spouted about which wheel size is best and 650b is good for this and 29 is best for that and blah blah blah! The bottom line in there have been some big developments in geometry in the past few years so we now have a crop of new bikes that with any given wheel size are immensely capable, fun, stable, good to ride on various different types of terrain etc.

The key thing is to decide what sort of use you want the bike for, and the types of trails you are riding now and where you might want to progress in the future. Then read some reviews, test ride a few bikes in your price range with different wheel sizes and decide what YOU like. Also if you are either very tall or very short then it might have some influence on your decision as some manufacturers are starting to tailor bike wheel sizes at the extreme ends of sizing.

Personally, (and this is just my view) I would be wary about spending a lot of money on a 26" wheeled bike. Not that there is anything wrong with them but I think the longer term future of parts like forks, wheels etc would put me off.

FWIW, I have three 29ers, and I love them. My full suspension 29er I've ridden all over the UK as well as in the Alps, Sierra Nevada in Spain and it is way more capable than I will ever be. I have a "trail" focused 29er hardtail which I tend to use in the winter but I wouldn't hesitate to ride everything on it that I would on the full suss.

Also, might be a good idea to consider the budget you are looking at and maybe people could chip in with some options?
    Last edited by warns74; 19th September 2016 at 19:00.

Craftsman
    Personally I think wheel size depends on where & how you ride .
    Unfortunately not many manufacturers offer the 26 inch option these days , although there are plenty of second hand frames / bikes available on places like http://www.pinkbike.com/.
    27.5 seems to be the std size to go for , go test ride a few & see how they feel , most decent shops have a good demo fleet .

Edit .....totally agree with the wheel size BS as mentioned by warns
    Last edited by spanner monkey; 19th September 2016 at 19:03.

Grand Master
    Wheel size for me is about performance for certain terrains, contours and so on, once they get up to speed the bigger they are the more efficient they should be, but reality is that for normal folk just going out and about at weekends on local hills, wheel size doesn't really matter.

Personally i've just stuck with 26", future wheels/tyres might be limited in a few years, but i just think it looks proportionate to the frame as i'm only 5'7" so have small or medium frames, if i were buying new now though, i'd probably think about 27.5", but i'd have to scan the market to make sure that 27.5 is here to stay, a couple of years ago they were talking about it being the betamax of wheels as the likes of specialized and others just did 29", but i guess if they're still going strong then there might be a bit of longevity there.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies!

To answer some of your questions, I will be doing mainly trail riding as opposed to 'hard core' mountain biking. My current trusty steed is a Santa Cruz Superlight which I built myself almost 10 years ago, in that time most of my riding companions have fell by the way side, mates, who became fat, my lad, who discovered women and my current partner who proclaimed on our last outing "I ain't going up another fucking hill!" With the new 2017 models coming out I'm looking to pick up a bargain with 'last years model' and my budget is a maximum of 1200 quid, taking full advantage of the cycle to work scheme

I went to Evans cycles last week in Birmingham and tbh they didn't carry much stock. I looked at a couple of bikes with 29" wheels and was surprised how big it made the bike look, hence my original post. With the increase in size does it effect the handling? I'm willing to listen to advice as to which make model is the best for my budget.

As a footnote, work permitting I'm off to the NEC this weekend to the cycle show, so with everthing under one roof I should find something that suits!
    Last edited by Tone; 20th September 2016 at 21:19.

Master
    You could also contact a few of your nearest local bike shops and see what they have in their demo fleets. Somewhere like Cannock Chase might have some or these guys might be in your general neck of the woods?

http://www.bikechase.co.uk/demo-bikes-19-w.asp

I have a Whyte 729 HT with the 29 wheels. All in all a good looking bike, but the wheels do look a bit comical at first when compared to its smaller diameter counterparts. That said a large or extra large frame helps the visuals somewhat. I think they look a tad silly on the smaller frames personally.

The 29 wheels help over rough terrain and once up to speed are quicker. My favoured local loop was slower on the 26 bike it replaced......one gully hill section in particular I could never complete with the smaller wheels, but rarely have any issues now.

I do notice I'm slower on the 29er if I'm on anything technical requiring quick changes of direction. I just can't seem to get the same lines with the same confidence.

In an ideal world I'd have a 27.5 full suspension for the dedicated trails like Glusburn and keep the 29 HT for my cross country rides, but with a road bike in the garage, it isn't going to happen. My other half has a Whyte 802 and that's a lot of fun.

I'd find a demo day somewhere and ride a few to see what works for you. My local independent now lets you demo bikes for a few days at a time for a very modest fee which I think is something I will e doing when I'm ready to change or upgrade.

I'd go with a 29er hardtail, or a 27.5 Full Suss.

I've no problem with the larger wheel sizes having been used to road bikes.

Craftsman
    These look good value & within your budget , never heard anything bad about them & good spec too.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOODEED...-mountain-bike

Blog Entries
    Just upgraded my hardtail went from 26 to 29s , no regrets yet.

Master
    Nice steel Hardtail like an Orange P7 would see you in good stead. Normally 1500 ish but last years bike blah blah. I would echo 27.5 as current "favourite " . I run two bikes both 26" and they outclass me. When my riding pal had a 29 er I couldnt stay with him on or off road, the speed difference was so striking.

+ one for the orange P7! I've got a P7 pro from a few years back. Alternatively check out the Cotic Soul or Cove handjob - if memory serves, they were my other options!

Craftsman
    The whole MTB industry is full of BS right now. Im sticking with 26" wheels on my FS but im tempted by a hard tail like your self.
    Cotic Soul, Orange P7/Crush and then Ragley are all in contention tbh. Im 6,1 so fit into either 29er or 27.5 is best BS.

Can you get a test ride from a local dealer? Orange list them on the website so worth checking out

Craftsman
    You are all obviously far younger than me. I grew up on no suspension, went through the era of front forks and then full sus. I am not going back! I love full suspension and 29er's (Spec enduro comp 29 for me and it's here to stay).

I'm a bit of a retrohead, so sticking with 26".
    I'm sure all the others are the dogsbollocks etc, but they look wrong to me.
    Some of it is just fad. Those bike companies have got figure out away of getting you to part with a few grand every couple of years.
    I suspect like many things, they'll come back to 26" in time. The retro market is usually huge money. Think vinyl, film is now back, watches (look at all the retro releases-Apple watch did well!!!).
    Anyway, British built titanium (Orange & Raleigh Dyna Tech) hardframes for xcountry/trails....oh and v brakes!!!!

Craftsman
    Thanks for the replies!

Did the bike show at the NEC yesterday, had to keep my hands in my pockets, could have emptied my bank account! If I'm honest I was dissapointed with the show, bike snobbery seems to be the name of the game nowadays, "Oh I say that's a nice Santa Cruz, how much did you pay for that?" "6 grand, is that all, I paid 7 for my Yeti" You could buy a car for that! And 'electric mountain bikes, whats that all about?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    I'm a bit of a retrohead, so sticking with 26".
    I'm sure all the others are the dogsbollocks etc, but they look wrong to me.
    Some of it is just fad. Those bike companies have got figure out away of getting you to part with a few grand every couple of years.
    I suspect like many things, they'll come back to 26" in time. The retro market is usually huge money. Think vinyl, film is now back, watches (look at all the retro releases-Apple watch did well!!!).
    Anyway, British built titanium (Orange & Raleigh Dyna Tech) hardframes for xcountry/trails....oh and v brakes!!!!

This. I ride a Kona HeiHei ti frame built up with a mix of XT/XTR, Mavic wheels. No suspension, Pace RC31 carbon forks, V brakes. 8 speed is plenty with a triple but I have been looking at a double 10 or 11 speed set up when the bits wear out. The shifters are Suntour XC Pro, no index on the front mech, bombproof. The frame is nearly 20 years old now, still riding beautifully and looking good. Here's a pic from several years ago, cleaned up with slicks on for a jaunt to Alpe d'Huez.

F.T.F.A.

Thanks for the replies!

Did the bike show at the NEC yesterday, had to keep my hands in my pockets, could have emptied my bank account! If I'm honest I was dissapointed with the show, bike snobbery seems to be the name of the game nowadays, "Oh I say that's a nice Santa Cruz, how much did you pay for that?" "6 grand, is that all, I paid 7 for my Yeti" You could buy a car for that! And 'electric mountain bikes, whats that all about?!?!

Indeed, you can buy the latest and shiniest, but the bottom line is miles in the legs. Nothing else counts.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I built a new bike a little while ago:

I went for 27.5 as it seems mostly future proof at the moment, lots of wheel and tyre options from all of the maufacturers. The truth is that i absolutely can not feel any difference that relates to wheel size at all, but my bike is very different to my previous ones (about 30 all of which were 26 inch wheels) so if the wheels make a difference, it is hidden in the geo and travel differences of my new bike.

My bike has adjustable travel from 120mm to 180mm on the front and geo difference of 5 degrees, these settings which are adjustable on the move with a button press, are VERY noticeable. I use the bike for everything from flat open fields in Essex, bedgebury in kent and trail centres in wales. It is "too much bike" most of the time but i dont care, i love the way it rides on everything and the people with an opinion on how much travel is appropriate tend to live on forums and standing next to their posh estate cars in trail centre car parks in immaculate matching shorts and jerseys who claim to know the difference between different types of steel tubing on hand welded git bikes.

I almost always recommend a FS bike to people. The idea that one should learn basic skills on a HT is an old notion from the days when cheap FS bikes were awful. Cheap FS bikes now are really rather good. Those who tend to spout that information, will have been good riders on HT back in the day and the reason they think a HT experience has improved their FS riding is because they actually spent time riding at all, not the type of bike. Spend years riding any bike and you will get better at it (although quite what "better " is is subjective and judged by Strava types)

Most people will agree that getting the best out of a FS requires a different approach to riding a HT so i always think that you might as well start on the type of bike you will end up on and develop yourskill set in the right place.

Ultimately, if you like riding a HT, buy the best for the type of riding you will do. If you like riding a FS, do the same.

Master
    I ride a Cannondale Trigger 27.5" having switched from a 26" Canyon about a year ago. Wheel size doesn't feel noticeably different but strata times suggest the new bike is quicker. The best thing is the adjustable travel - the Trigger switches from 85mm for climbing to 140mm for descending with a flick of a switch. It's a real do-it-all machine. Also, they were very cheap on paulscycles.co.uk last Autumn so have a look on there.

Master
    After a looooooing lay off, I'm getting back into MTBing.

Currently I ride a Pace RC129 (no longer made I don't think). I bought it prior to my lay off and so its barely been used.

I'm 6'3" and I do like the 29er sizing.

IF I get bitten by the bug again properly and feel like I am using the Pace a load, I might treat myself to more shiny things....I've already started a list.

I've a ruined, old sore back and need to work up gradually. I did the TransWales event in 2007....but am some way off that level of fitness.... :(

Back on topic, I don't know :). not ridden any 27.5ers yet. as I say, 29er sizing works for me, so I am going to stay with it.

Craftsman
    I have a Canyon 26" and don't feel the need for anything else. The larger wheels will have some effect, that's physics, but whether or not it makes a noticeable difference to the average rider I doubt it. When I've ridden at slower more technical places like Gisburn Forest the 29's have certainly struggled more with maneuverability but I didn't see the advantage to them in other areas.

For me it was just the manufacturers having to come up with something new. Unfortunately they didn't account for the vanity involved and the 29's can look a bit odd so they didn't sell as well as perhaps they thought. So as not to admit the sales pitch of 29 being the be all and end all of MTB was b*ll***s, they didn't go back to 26 but went down the middle at 27.5. I don't see it being much more than that really.

It reminds me of some old MTB magazine I used to have when handlebars were getting narrower and narrower. It raved on that these super narrow handlebars had much better handling on tracks through woodlands etc. The exact opposite of what they say about handlebars today!

I'd suggest setting a budget, having a few test rides and pick the one you like the best.

I also maybe somewhat biased but Canyon usually have a slightly better spec for the equivalent money from other manufacturers. They come direct from the factory so can take out the middle man putting his mark up on them.

ps save up for a good dropper post. It's the best thing I put on mine.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=poppy;4095449]I built a new bike a little while ago:

That looks awesome but it doesn't have enough gears for me. I'm not sure of the advantage of fewer gears other than you struggle more. I can use all 30 when out on a ride but that's probably down to fitness and strength as I know lads who ride single speed in the same places.

One of my favourite things to do is get out on one of my mountain bikes, I am firmly still in the 26" wheel camp, which would make getting tyres fun, if I had not got a stock pile of them.

I have ridden a few 29 ers, the earlier ones felt awful to me, not snappy enough through the twisty bits, I get they roll over stuff easier but I like the edge of the seat handling without going stupid speeds. I think that the 29 ers have improved and much better now, I would not want one but have no problem with them.

The 650 b or 27.5 felt much better, I have ridden two recent ones, they were both cool and a better tide in my opinion to the 29 er.

I think at some stage I may when I get my next frame, have to go down the 27.5 route due to forks, wheel and tyre avalibilty, but happy with what I have to ride at the moment.

I will post some pictures when I get chance later.

I would like to have a go on a fat bike one day, they look fun and different, I would like to Dartmoor on the snow on one, but not keen to buy one. Been tempted with a few that look nice, but useage for me could be limited.

Master
    agreed about the dropper post. single best upgrade you can make to a bike (apart from a skills course for the rider)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post

That looks awesome but it doesn't have enough gears for me. I'm not sure of the advantage of fewer gears other than you struggle more. I can use all 30 when out on a ride but that's probably down to fitness and strength as I know lads who ride single speed in the same places.
    it has all the gears I need at the moment. the largest gear on the back is very low and allows me to plod along all I have ridden so far.

biggest advantage for me is the simple set up and easier gear changing when caught out on a climb. I've never found front mechs to be very well behaved when shifting under pressure whereas this set up allows me to keep grinding away nd drop a lot of gears with one single throw of the shifter.

a more skillful rider would anticipate the gradient changes further in advance but I like not having to think too hard and allow the bike to do its job underneath me.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    This. I ride a Kona HeiHei ti frame built up with a mix of XT/XTR, Mavic wheels. No suspension, Pace RC31 carbon forks, V brakes. 8 speed is plenty with a triple but I have been looking at a double 10 or 11 speed set up when the bits wear out. The shifters are Suntour XC Pro, no index on the front mech, bombproof. The frame is nearly 20 years old now, still riding beautifully and looking good. Here's a pic from several years ago, cleaned up with slicks on for a jaunt to Alpe d'Huez.

Nice!!! Proper bike and proper forks. I have amix of Pace RC35 and Rockshox SID's Never felt the need for for more then 65-80mm travel, weight has always been important- Less fatigue (IMHO).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    it has all the gears I need at the moment. the largest gear on the back is very low and allows me to plod along all I have ridden so far.

biggest advantage for me is the simple set up and easier gear changing when caught out on a climb. I've never found front mechs to be very well behaved when shifting under pressure whereas this set up allows me to keep grinding away nd drop a lot of gears with one single throw of the shifter.

a more skillful rider would anticipate the gradient changes further in advance but I like not having to think too hard and allow the bike to do its job underneath me.

I agree regarding front mechs I just recently got a new Whyte 130TS and it only has the one front chain ring and what a difference it makes I wouldn't go back to having a front mech and the rear sprocket is designed with a single chainring in mind so the gearing is spot on and all you will need as you just don't need 28 gears!

Here are mine.

Craftsman
    Mine are both 26" wheels:

Master
    some very good looking bikes there.

although fs is my favourite ride, I think there are some stunning looking ht bikes.

e bike

Thanks for the replies!

Just bought an e MTB, wanted to have some exercise (and give the dog some) and worried about fitness. I tried a few, round the block, and thought the e-bike was just what I needed - seemed fun.

I had all of the issues with wheel size and which bike in general, from reading, speaking with bike shop staff and trying a few I decided that the bosch system was the one for me with the top motor/battery combo.

I couldn't tell from short rides which would be best and given that forestry tracks and green lanes is my main target, with the dog, settled on 29er even with a small frame - much of the choice was spec v price and what I could obtain locally. Being novice, old and unfit and don't think nuances came into it too much and took advice on 29 inch.

So far so good, dog loves running along, one of the first few outings had me worried seemed to be going down hill for at least 3 miles and was not looking forward to the return trip. The e-assist worked great though and it didn't seem like it was all up hill on the return leg

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I agree regarding front mechs I just recently got a new Whyte 130TS and it only has the one front chain ring and what a difference it makes I wouldn't go back to having a front mech and the rear sprocket is designed with a single chainring in mind so the gearing is spot on and all you will need as you just don't need 28 gears!
    Agreed, I've got a 1x10 set up with a Hope T-Rex expander on the Trek. I'll be putting a similar set up on the Orange.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    Here are mine.

Nice handjob ;)

Craftsman
    It all depends on what type of riding you do. Some of the lads I know ride single speed and will tell you 1 is enough, you just don't need 11! As it happens I ride a lot on the road on the loops I do around my way and in a couple of places can be doing 45mph down the steep hills. I don't know the ratios of a 1x11 but I doubt I could reach that sport of speed with a 1x11 set up.

Master
    It all depends on what type of riding you do. Some of the lads I know ride single speed and will tell you 1 is enough, you just don't need 11! As it happens I ride a lot on the road on the loops I do around my way and in a couple of places can be doing 45mph down the steep hills. I don't know the ratios of a 1x11 but I doubt I could reach that sport of speed with a 1x11 set up.
    Well my previous mtb had three chain rings and I can assure you I can hit the same speeds and ratios with my 1x11 as I could with me previous setup and I much prefer the 1x11 so maybe try one out to see what you think and as for 45mph down hills if it is a steep hill the gravity will take you to that speed, I did a 31 mile mainly off-road ride yesterday and old steep short descent was onroad and I hit 40mph without even trying and if it wasn't for a Jeep coming the opposite way I would have easily hit 45mph

I went from an old Cannondale F1000 to a Boardman Pro 29er (both hard-tails)

Totally love the 29er & wouldn't go back.

Craftsman
    Well my previous mtb had three chain rings and I can assure you I can hit the same speeds and ratios with my 1x11 as I could with me previous setup and I much prefer the 1x11 so maybe try one out to see what you think and as for 45mph down hills if it is a steep hill the gravity will take you to that speed, I did a 31 mile mainly off-road ride yesterday and old steep short descent was onroad and I hit 40mph without even trying and if it wasn't for a Jeep coming the opposite way I would have easily hit 45mph
    Out of interest what are the sizes front and smallest rear?

Master
    Out of interest what are the sizes front and smallest rear?
    Crikey I have no idea but I can certainly check if you want.

Craftsman
    i run 1x10 on my Lapierre Spicy
    32 at the front and 36-11 at the rear does me for pretty much everything.

When i have done uplift days i change the 32 over to 34 just to give me a little bit more. I know the expanders go upto 42t IIRC?

Craftsman
    Crikey I have no idea but I can certainly check if you want.
    Yeah just interested although I'm offline for the next few days so I'll have to keep myself in suspense.

Master
    Yeah just interested although I'm offline for the next few days so I'll have to keep myself in suspense.
    No problem leave it with me.

Master
    I'm running 32 42 at the moment and it suits me fine. I'm not very fast downhill and it is low enough for a plod uphill.

I'm using sram gx drive train and think it is the best I have used. for the price performance ratio I couldn't see the point in a swankier groups etc and it has performed flawlessly.

Craftsman
    Just a quick update:

If I'm honest I were adamant that I were going to stick with what I know best and spend a bit of money on my old Superlight. I would also buy a 29er for the purpose of communting to work only and maybe take in a little cross country on a weekend! My first ride on the 29er and I was sold, it's like shit off a shovel!