closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Upgrade from Plasma TV

Upgrade from Plasma TV

I have an old Panasonic P42X20 Plasma and looking to upgrade to something with built in apps (Netflix/Amazon Prime etc).

I am looking for something a similar size (40"-46") but finding it difficult to see anything that actually looks any better.

It needs to have great black levels and excellent motion response.

Still tempted to pick up an older Panasonic plasma, something like the GT60 but they are well out of warranty.

There does not seem to be any mid-high end smaller tvs any more. HDR looks interesting but the reviews of panels in this size seem to have issues with light bleeds and/or not great colour.

I've had a look in John Lewis but its so hard to gauge the quality with such terrible source material.

Master
    Why not just plug a FireTV stick into it?

Craftsman
    You are far better off with an external media player for "smart TV" features than you are with a built in player. The outboard devices are much easier to keep up to date, both for the streaming partners and as a hardware device. Roku, AppleTV, and Amazon Fire all good choices.

I am looking for a new TV rather than a plugin, I already have the apps on the PS3 but would like a new TV anyway.

I'd recommend either some research on www.avforums.co.uk or call into a branch of Richer Sounds. I've always found their staff very helpful and they have access to a huge range on Tv's and some great deals. If you sign up for their VIP e-mails you can get a longer guarantee included on the TV that you buy

Craftsman
    OLED TVs are offering the best picture right now, better even than your plasma. But, they still command a large premium over LCD sets, and the smallest sizes are 55".

The "Quantum dot" LCDs are the next best, still a huge premium over standard LED TV sets.

"Full Array Local Dimming" also a feature that matters, some premium sets have it, some don't, it definitely allows these super bright TVs to also show dark content just as well.

4K on the other hand, not too important for TVs this size. There is very little 4K content, most of what you will watch will need to be upsampled to fit the screen, a process which does nothing to improve the picture. The best TVs all have 4K, so there's no avoiding it, its just not the reason to buy one.

Top choices include the B6 series of OLED from LG, the new P series sets from Vizio (I'm not certain Vizio is available in the UK), and Sony'x X930D and X850D TVs.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/best-tv...smart-hd-4k-tv

You'll find it difficult to get the quality of your plasma, unless you get OLED. None get the black levels of plasma which is why I'll hang onto mine till it packs up. Hopefully OLED will get cheaper over time.
    I've yet to see a set that comes close to mine, and I've a good education on TV's to tell a good from average picture from over 30 years of courses with the top companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I've yet to see a set that comes close to mine, and I've a good education on TV's to tell a good from average picture from over 30 years of courses with the top companies.
    Rod, what's your opinion of general broadcast content? I have a decent Sony TV and can set it up with really good reference content to look pretty good (to my eyes anyway), with good blacks and still have detail in the shadows, highlights etc. But a lot of programmes are really variable in how they look, blacks looking grey, poor detail, colour levels varying.

Is that right and am I chasing a dream thinking I can find a setup that always looks good?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    You'll find it difficult to get the quality of your plasma, unless you get OLED. None get the black levels of plasma which is why I'll hang onto mine till it packs up. Hopefully OLED will get cheaper over time.
    This is my problem, having being used to wide viewing angles, low black levels and excellent motion response of Plasmas pretty much most of the new 4K screens look so dissapointing. They seem to miss out on the natural colours as well.

The more I research, the more a used P42GT60 seems my best option.

^I've got a Panasonic P42GT60 which I bought 3 years ago with a 6 year Panasonic warranty. Once it was burned in I set it up with a Disney WoW disc and I haven't touched it since. The picture is so natural with no judder, blur or ghosting. The only minor issues are that the on screen apps aren't that good (I use a Fire Stick) it only has 4 HDMI ports and the 3D is defunct.
    As with all slim TVs the speakers are nothing special and I added a Panasonic Speakerboard which is a big improvement. Apart from that I'd certainly recommend it.

My pioneer kuro 500krp is gong no where. I've even thought of buying spare

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Rod, what's your opinion of general broadcast content? I have a decent Sony TV and can set it up with really good reference content to look pretty good (to my eyes anyway), with good blacks and still have detail in the shadows, highlights etc. But a lot of programmes are really variable in how they look, blacks looking grey, poor detail, colour levels varying.

Is that right and am I chasing a dream thinking I can find a setup that always looks good?
    Generally, most HD transmissions are of good quality but, as in photography, varying light levels affect picture quality and detail. As long as you set the picture up on a good live HD transmission like you have, you will get varying levels of quality. I prefer CH4HD's quality over the BBC and if you set it up on a live news studio broadcast, thats the best you can do, or buy a DVD picture set up disc.
    When I see TV pictures in friends homes, I usually find the contrast and colours whacked up too high (like you see in stores). I turn off all picture enhancements, turn down sharpness controls to minimum and check black detail in dark areas.
    So to answer your question yes you are chasing a a dream, but when you get a good broadcast in HD it can be very good and you'll notice it.

Got to agree with the comments already made. The Panasonic plasma is hard to beat, mine is going nowhere until it dies. If you want apps get an external media source, keep the plasma!

My current Panasonic tx50cx802b is fantastic and have had no issues with the native os and apps. Did have to sign up online at Panasonic as for some odd reason as they don't work without this but the to is excellent, upscaling is great and the picture to my eyes is very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this in a previous what tv thread but just got a Samsung ks8000 55" for my sons bedroom and although 4K looks stunning, some of the HD channels look ropey and SD looks pretty dire. Was left pretty underwhelmed by the TV, seems that the manufacturers are leaping ahead so that they can advertise new features even though nothing is really ready for 4K.

Another happy Plasma Panasonic owner.

The best tech purchase I ever made, bar none.

M.

Can you still buy Plasma TV"s or is OLED taken over now ? , had a quick look and does"nt seem to be much around

Cheers

Wayne

I have a Pro Series Panasonic Plasma as well and OLED is the only thing tempting me away

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Can you still buy Plasma TV"s or is OLED taken over now ? , had a quick look and does"nt seem to be much around

Cheers

Wayne
    Production has finished with all manufacturers now. OLED is the next technology.

Thanks Rod
    Seems to be worth paying the extra for an OLED ?

Cheers

Wayne

Craftsman
    Love my Panasonic ZT60.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Thanks Rod
    Seems to be worth paying the extra for an OLED ?

Cheers

Wayne
    OLED is stunning when playing 4K content, HD is acceptable, just but any SD content will look awful. This is my own personal experience and what has been holding me back from purchasing an OLED.

Yes true i suppose , and there is a lot of SD content still being broadcast as well !