closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Time for a SOTC for my 1000th post!

Time for a SOTC for my 1000th post!

I thought it would be a good way to "celebrate" my 1000th post by sharing a few photos of my collection. Don't expect to see any PP, AP, JLC, Lange etc. here (I wish).

There are many different styles as I recognise there is no recurrent theme to the collection. I'm simply a watch addict. I buy what takes my fancy as and when I can afford to and within the constraints of family expenses. I like variety in my watches, seldom wearing the same watch two days running, and as I nearly always research my purchases carefully, and often dither for ages before buying, I NEVER sell any.

By now you'll all think I'm weird! :-) Oh, and I also prefer to purchase brand new, so I think only the T-Touch, INOX and Alpha were bought used (from SC of course)!

Some of you will be thinking "if he sold 90% of that lot he could afford to buy something decent". Well generally speaking I get almost as much pleasure from wearing some of my "cheaper" watches as I do wearing the Breitlings or Omega for instance. Some of my watches were gifts from my family so have sentimental value, most are relatively inexpensive compared to many worn on this forum (although not necessarily inexpensive to me), but I simply wear watches for my own pleasure (and I do get a lot of pleasure from my modest collection).

There's nothing rare or unusual in this lot, but I hope some of you enjoy looking at them.

Ian

Some dressy ones to start with -

A mixture of divers -

Some with special sentimental value, including 25th and 30th wedding anniversary presents from my lovely wife (Stowa and Hamilton) -

Some Seikos -

A real mixture here, including my 75p Seiko on blue perlon -

Some of my favourites in this tray, a couple of Eddie's finest, a very well finished Ball (!) and three great Germans -

Various, including a couple of G-Shocks, a couple of Chinese, a couple of Smiths and a Rotary inherited from my late uncle -

Some more with sentimental value (five of these were gifts from the family) -

Master
    Congratulations. On a watch purchased per post basis, I think you are doing well there!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    I NEVER sell any.
    And that’s why you are a collector and I am not. I go off things and then I don’t feel inclined to own them any more. Maybe this has something to do with buying vintage or used, as most of my purchases have been. Perhaps buying new can be more of a special event, and the memory of that adds something to ownership.

Or maybe I just want a new watch!

Out of yours, if I could only have one, I’d have the Speedbird.

That's not a collection, that is a shop window full. Some stunning watches in there and plenty of variety as well.

A few themes going on here, blue dials, Orient etc and I like that Paul Newman Chrono.

Great collection - well done.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's an impressive collection! Some real variety there.

Master
    That's a collection and half, lots I would quite happily own and very few that I do. It's good to see such a variety of more affordable pieces that shows this doesn't have to be a very expensive hobby.

Grand Master
    thats quite a collection!
    liking that Hamilton.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

A very nice variety , very impressive .

Congratulations, beautiful presentation, beautiful watches and great variety.
    They are all in magnificent shape and look like brand new, do you wear them or just look at them?

Thanks for posting. Collections like that make me feel like I don't have a problem :)
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Great to see them all Ian!

Good to see that my old Alpha lives on too

Ian

Craftsman
    Wow, cant say anything other than wow!

How long has this haul taken to get under one roof ?

Craftsman
    Wow, that is some collection. How do you decide what to wear

Lovely collection, nice to see such variety in one place.

Master
    I like the Orient selection in the first pic, I'm feeling inspired for another Orient dress watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a great collection...
    But I would say that as I have a similar taste in watches to you.
    Don't worry about selling to buy that one fantastic watch. The enjoyment is the ability to change when you like
    Wear a monster with a suit or dress watch with your speedos!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 14th September 2016 at 20:43.

Banned
    Brilliant collection, you are a true enthusiast.

Master
    Very nice, a real WIS collection

A great, diverse collection Ian. Nice to see my old T-Touch still looking good! Congratulations on 1000 posts

Wow- love how eclectic your watch boxes are. As others have said, makes me feel I don't have any problem at all. Saying that there're 2 Stowas I would like to try...

Thanks for all the great comments! I wasn't sure how this would be received as there are no high-end stunners like in some collections here, so it's really pleasing to read so many nice responses.

Quote Originally Posted by tanatron View Post
    Congratulations, beautiful presentation, beautiful watches and great variety.
    They are all in magnificent shape and look like brand new, do you wear them or just look at them?
    I've got to admit I really look after my watches and hate scratches and marks on them. When I took the B-1 (ten years old this month) in for a battery change a little while ago the guy I deal with in Goldsmiths said it's like new still and wondered if I wear it. In actual fact it's the one watch I probably wear most often, but I'm just really careful. OK, so I'm a bit paranoid ....

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Great to see them all Ian!

Good to see that my old Alpha lives on too

Ian
    Thanks Ian. Yep, Duncan sorted out a little issue with the Alpha timing and it's now on a nice RIOS strap, looking good still and keeping great time.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    Wow, cant say anything other than wow!

How long has this haul taken to get under one roof ?
    Thanks for that! I started with the digital Seiko in 1978. Wore it every day until my wife bought me the Seiko chrono alongside it in the box (SDWB24P1) in 1997, which I wore all the time until I got the Navitimer with an inheritance in March 2006. The rest of the collection have accumulated since then, in the past ten years. The Navitimer had always been my "grail" watch (if there is such a thing) but I found that instead of being happy with one really nice watch I was still looking longingly at others, and there the addiction started!

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpaul View Post
    Wow, that is some collection. How do you decide what to wear
    That becomes more and more difficult as the collection grows!

Quote Originally Posted by rushroon View Post
    A great, diverse collection Ian. Nice to see my old T-Touch still looking good! Congratulations on 1000 posts
    Thanks Jim. Your T-Touch was the first watch I bought second-hand (although as you'll remember it was as good as new). It still looks just as good now and funnily enough it's the watch on my wrist as I type this.
    Last edited by Ian_O; 14th September 2016 at 22:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Wow- love how eclectic your watch boxes are. As others have said, makes me feel I don't have any problem at all. Saying that there're 2 Stowas I would like to try...
    Thanks. I can't recommend Stowa highly enough. They're lovely watches and the company are good to deal with too.

Master
    Thats a varied collection for sure, more choice than I could face on a daily basis and keep my sanity.

Really like the 3 Orients in the first picture.

What a lovely collection - although I would go absolutely crazy with so many to choose from! My favourites are the two 'trekkie' Seagulls (I used to own the black one, still miss it sometimes) and I would love to get a Stowa someday.

Very nice collection, think if I owned that many watches my wife would kill me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice collection OP :)

What are the top left and top right watches in the first pic?

Steve

"Thanks Jim. Your T-Touch was the first watch I bought second-hand (although as you'll remember it was as good as new). It still looks just as good now and funnily enough it's the watch on my wrist as I type this."

Glad you still have it and enjoying it Ian. They are great watches. I always like to have one in my collection so now own the Expert solar. Perhaps a bit big size wise and with hands on the short side - it's still a brilliant watch - well worth a try if you get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    Nice collection OP :)

What are the top left and top right watches in the first pic?

Steve
    Thanks Steve. They are the two different styles of a Watchuseek forum watch (see here http://forums.watchuseek.com/f502/ex...h-1069351.html ). They're powered by a hand wind column wheel chrono Seagull movement. They're very well finished for the price. There was one for sale on SC recently.

Quote Originally Posted by rushroon View Post
    Glad you still have it and enjoying it Ian. They are great watches. I always like to have one in my collection so now own the Expert solar. Perhaps a bit big size wise and with hands on the short side - it's still a brilliant watch - well worth a try if you get the chance.
    I'm not familiar with that one, but I'll keep a look out for it, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hark1812 View Post
    Very nice collection, think if I owned that many watches my wife would kill me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine often encourages me. I think I'm lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    What a lovely collection - although I would go absolutely crazy with so many to choose from! My favourites are the two 'trekkie' Seagulls (I used to own the black one, still miss it sometimes) and I would love to get a Stowa someday.
    Did you notice that the cream dial "trekkie" has the logo reversed?! There were three (I think) out of the whole batch which were made like it and I had the option to return it for exchange, but decided to stick with it as it's unusual.

Did you notice that the cream dial "trekkie" has the logo reversed?! There were three (I think) out of the whole batch which were made like it and I had the option to return it for exchange, but decided to stick with it as it's unusual.
    Interesting, although I have to admit I didn't notice it! Lovely rarity or poor quality control, depending on your point of view. ;) Like you, I would have kept it!

Thanks Steve. They are the two different styles of a Watchuseek forum watch (see here http://forums.watchuseek.com/f502/ex...h-1069351.html ). They're powered by a hand wind column wheel chrono Seagull movement. They're very well finished for the price. There was one for sale on SC recently.
    Very nice indeedy! I would say if you wanted to flip one let me know but that obviously won't happen!

Steve

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    Very nice indeedy! I would say if you wanted to flip one let me know but that obviously won't happen!

Steve
    That's a shame as I recently sold my cream Trekkie 1963 Seagull. :(

Thanks for the post - interesting to see the variety (and quantity!)

I like your watches boxes as well - what make is the 8-slot box?

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    Thanks for the post - interesting to see the variety (and quantity!)

I like your watches boxes as well - what make is the 8-slot box?
    Thanks! The five ten-slot boxes are Mele (about £40 from Amazon), the two six-slot trays are just that, trays which sit in drawers and are Stackers I think. The other box with the five slots across the centre was a gift about eight years ago and I'm afraid I don't know what make it is.

EDIT: I just looked underneath the five-slot box and that one's actually Mele too.
    Last edited by Ian_O; 15th September 2016 at 19:23.

Master
    wow, just wow

great collection. nothing wrong with a few stowas

I think we're all a bit weird in how we collect watches - like yourself i rarely sell and to be honest it makes choosing watches a bit more satisfying. Any idea where you want to go next or continue with finding the lower value gems?

Craftsman
    Interesting and varied collection. Do you wear in rotation or favour a select few as your regular every day watch?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I think we're all a bit weird in how we collect watches - like yourself i rarely sell and to be honest it makes choosing watches a bit more satisfying. Any idea where you want to go next or continue with finding the lower value gems?
    Well the next was going to be a Nomos Orion 38, but redundancy put paid to that for the time being!

Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    Interesting and varied collection. Do you wear in rotation or favour a select few as your regular every day watch?

Whatever suits the mood of the day really. The B-1 gets worn more often than any of the others as it's so versatile and still makes me smile when I wear it, but apart from that they all get fairly equal wrist time. It does make that morning decision quite tricky sometimes though. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    wow, just wow

great collection. nothing wrong with a few stowas
    Thank you!

Master
    Very nice collection, something you should be proud of. And well done for not going down the predictable route but rather going where your heart tells you to go.

Blog Entries
    Blimey.... That's a mighty collection!!!

Nice variety and some nice bits and bobs too!

Well the next was going to be a Nomos Orion 38, but redundancy put paid to that for the time being!
    Yep, know how that feels, I've accepted my watch buying days are now in semi retirement....

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Yep, know how that feels, I've accepted my watch buying days are now in semi retirement....
    Hopefully things will return to normal soon.

Lovely varied collection / hoard.

What is the second from the right, on the bottom row in the first picture? That's a lovely lovely blue dial.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As has been said before 'wow' - you can never be short of something to wear!

Thanks for sharing

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    Lovely varied collection / hoard.

What is the second from the right, on the bottom row in the first picture? That's a lovely lovely blue dial.
    Yes that dial really looks good when the light catches it. It's a Vratislavia Conceptum Formmeister (Miyota 9130 auto movement with power reserve) on a dark blue Hirsch Modena.

Details here - http://vratislavia-watches.com/en/?page_id=7

Ian