closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A little computer help please

A little computer help please

I switched on my ASUS laptop (with Windows 10) and a message came up it needed to restart to complete updates, with the choice 'restart now' which I clicked. It restarted and I began to work on a Word document. After about 15 minutes the screen suddenly went blank without warning and then the 'restarting' message with the spinning dots appeared.

It has been like that for 15 or 20 minutes; I've tried ctrl, alt del and esc which have no effect. If I shut it down with the power switch, when I switch it back on it just restarts with the 'restarting' screen.

I guess it is stuck in some sort of loop. I really need to get on with some work, anybody any suggestions what I can do?

Can you restart it in 'safe mode' i.e. as soon as you power it up repeatedly press f8? Then you could try 'system restore' from a previous date. This would enable the update to go on properly.
    I'm not sure if you leave it overnight it may sort itself.... it's possible.

Master
    On Windows 10 you can uninstall updates - I think its in settings>updates>advanced

Or you could roll back using system restore

If you get it going ok it might be best to then go back to settings>updates>advanced and defer upgrades

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I switched on my ASUS laptop (with Windows 10) and a message came up it needed to restart to complete updates, with the choice 'restart now' which I clicked. It restarted and I began to work on a Word document. After about 15 minutes the screen suddenly went blank without warning and then the 'restarting' message with the spinning dots appeared.

It has been like that for 15 or 20 minutes; I've tried ctrl, alt del and esc which have no effect. If I shut it down with the power switch, when I switch it back on it just restarts with the 'restarting' screen.

I guess it is stuck in some sort of loop. I really need to get on with some work, anybody any suggestions what I can do?
    leave it alone, windows updates on a laptop can take hours, I have seen one in a restart position for 8 hours, leave it overnight and see how it goes, and make sure its plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Can you restart it in 'safe mode' i.e. as soon as you power it up repeatedly press f8? .
    It won't have it, just restarts with the 'restarting' screen, ignores F8

Quote Originally Posted by BDStevens View Post
    On Windows 10 you can uninstall updates - I think its in settings>updates>advanced

Or you could roll back using system restore

If you get it going ok it might be best to then go back to settings>updates>advanced and defer upgrades
    I can't get into anything, it is competely blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    leave it alone, windows updates on a laptop can take hours, I have seen one in a restart position for 8 hours, leave it overnight and see how it goes, and make sure its plugged in.
    Guess I'll have to do this, no choice.

Thanks everyone.

Master
    Leave it alone - get it to the restart point where it responds with something - leave it plugged in and go to bed.

Welcome to the anniversary update

B

A little tip - consider saying goodbye to Windows and buy a Mac.

What he said M K, plus the advantage of being less susceptible to viruses and all sorts of nasties.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    ^^^^This some of the Windows 10 updates are monstrous.

I've had to roll back Windows a couple of times on my wife's Samsung laptop. I had to do a cold reset to get out of the 'restarting' message loop. On her machine it meant holding the power button down for 15-20 seconds before powering back up otherwise it just went into a sort of hibernation mode. Another option would have been to disconnect the power and remove the battery before restarting. You might have tried these but I thought it worth mentioning.

My only other suggestion would be to defenestrate the damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post
    ^^^^This some of the Windows 10 updates are monstrous.
    Yes this, happened lately on 2 of my computers. Hours of black screen and the little circle spinnning in the middle. Must have been a huge update.
    Also keep an eye on the hard disk led if it's stuck, not blinking, it's not a good sign, as during the huge and long update it should blink like mad.
    Last edited by tanatron; 12th September 2016 at 06:28. Reason: typo

12 hours later and it's still 'restarting'. The hard disk light is flashing once every few seconds, not blinking like mad. I'll try the battery out idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Another option would have been to disconnect the power and remove the battery before restarting...
    You are a star, give yourself a big pat on the back. Battery out and back in again did the trick.

Many thanks for all the help.

Journeyman
    Turn off laptop, pull out battery and mains power, press the power button for 10secs (to drain any residual power in the laptop), pop battery (or mains power) back in and power it up.

EDIT: Just seen this fixed it, sorry.

Master
    With any Pc holding the power button for more than 10 seconds swiches it totally off, also with windows 10 F8 wont work as safe mode is run another way.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    You are a star, give yourself a big pat on the back. Battery out and back in again did the trick.

Many thanks for all the help.
    Standard advice from every IT Helpdesk in the mid-90s, 'switch it off and switch it back on again', which is effectively what you've done here.

Good to see that little changes.