closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling Aerospace F65362 (Repetition Minutes) Battery

Breitling Aerospace F65362 (Repetition Minutes) Battery

After not wearing my aerospace for a while I thought I'd get it out of the box and give it some wrist time. I picked it up and the battery is dead, so now I need to decide if I continue with the breitling service history or get it done privately.

What are peoples thoughts....

Thanks
    Fish

I've done it myself. I needed to buy a case back press (£6) to refit the case back but other than that the harder part was resetting the time and getting the hands to agree with the digital display.

Mine went to Breathing for a full service a few years ago but now just goes to a decent watch repairer and costs about £50 inc new seals. One thing thy did tell me this time is to not wear it in water at all as the water resistance on Aerospaces in optimistic and sorting out a flooded watch is no fun with the old quartz movements.

I've often had a notion to pick up an Aerospace for travel watch duties, but the conflicting reports of the "real" WR have always deterred me. Are the current crop any better?

Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    Mine went to Breathing for a full service a few years ago but now just goes to a decent watch repairer and costs about £50 inc new seals. One thing thy did tell me this time is to not wear it in water at all as the water resistance on Aerospaces in optimistic and sorting out a flooded watch is no fun with the old quartz movements.

that sounds like they're not very confident on their expensively fitted new seals, what are you getting for your money over the £6 battery change my local place does?

For my Breitling I got the "Battery for life" deal that FW Hinds were doing for £9 a few years ago. Tucked the receipt away safe and sound

Had a new battery fitted last year. Not worried about how waterproof it is as it doesn't go near water.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    that sounds like they're not very confident on their expensively fitted new seals, what are you getting for your money over the £6 battery change my local place does?
    I think it's probably because it's a Tornado F3 Aerospace and water ingress would make a mess of the irreplaceable dial so not worth the risk rather than lack of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    It's nothing to do with confidence in their seals it's more to do with the fact they have absolutely no control over what happens to the watch once it's out of their sight. All it takes is one bang on the crown or case (that the wearer may not even be aware of doing) and the water resistance could be compromised. That's bad enough with a current watch where parts are available, but lunacy with an out of production watch where parts are difficult if not impossible to source.

I gave Breitling a call today and they are currently on a 3 week for a minor and 6 weeks for a full service. Not sure it would be worth doing the full service but at £140 I might just take it local.

It never goes near any water, unless it's raining that is.

Fish

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    It's nothing to do with confidence in their seals it's more to do with the fact they have absolutely no control over what happens to the watch once it's out of their sight. All it takes is one bang on the crown or case (that the wearer may not even be aware of doing) and the water resistance could be compromised. That's bad enough with a current watch where parts are available, but lunacy with an out of production watch where parts are difficult if not impossible to source.
    Hum. You could say that about a brand new Breitling Aerospace but they do guarantee for 2y the wrt properties.

On the the second point - Last time I checked the Aerospace is a current model.

You get the newest iteration of the movement HEQ thermocompensated movement on service. But newer Aerospace are SQ anyway. Also they stock parts for at least 30years for out-of-production watched which is longer than Rolex (so I have heard).

anyway - to OP - I’d do it myself for £6 - as long as you take care of the tiny screws.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Hum. You could say that about a brand new Breitling Aerospace but they do guarantee for 2y the wrt properties.
    I was talking generically, not specifically but does a brand new Aerospace have years of wear on the metal of the crown and crown tube sealing surfaces?

From memory (which could well be wrong) I was under the impression that if/when the digital display sections failed they wouldn't be able to replace them any longer.

Fish

So I finally got around to sending my aerospace off for a service. I received my quote back yesterday and almost fell off the chair.

Price for the service £493.02

Page 2 was saying that the crystal needs to be replaced due to light scratches on the anti-reflective coating.... price for this was another 97.85

Total £590.87 for a watch that was purchased on the 30th Dec 2000 for £1100

Needles to say I told them to return the watch as I'll not be having anything done!

Fish

Can’t harm having a go yourself. If you fail, take it to a decent independent. I had a full Breitling service on an older aero recently (last of the 40mm versions) and paid about £400, but it needed quite a few marks and dings addressing. It came back very close to new - although they also suggested a crystal replacement (did not need it!) and a new bracelet due to a bit of stretch...... £550 or something
    I think they were the only ones stretching it there!

I knew I wanted to flip the watch, so got the Breitling service for this reason. Had I been keeping it, I would definitely have just changed the battery myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk