closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Sevice Centre Experience - gone downhill?

Master

Rolex Sevice Centre Experience - gone downhill?

My LV is in for a service and comparing it to last time I had a watched serviced by them I feel the experience has gone downhill...

I had my 79090 serviced and used the cover letter for that as a basis. Usual stuff, light polish only, leave the dial, date disc etc.

During that service I got a price for a new 91350 bracelet and they refurbished the original and sent it on.

They did a fantastic job in line with what I asked.

This time I have asked for a replacement bezel insert and bracelet, along with the usual light polish etc.

There has been a bit of to-ing and fro-ing to clarify what they are doing and I am a bit surprised.

New bracelet is on exchange basis. This is odd as I can get a new bracelet for the same price through the AD and they will refurbish the old one if I don't buy a replacement at service.

They said the case will be refinished in line with Rolex specifications, so I asked if that is that the signature case edge bevel or will this mean polishing out any marks. I said I do not want the case to be over polished, just a light polish only. I want to retain as much material as possible. They responded with the case will be re-polished to Rolex specification and there is no way of knowing at this stage how much material will be lost.

I asked if it is possible to get a bezel insert on a non-exchange basis? As the price quoted seems to be a complete bezel and insert, can they advise the price of the bezel only should I retain the original insert. They respond with, no all parts are on an exchange basis. A new bezel and insert is necessary.

Maybe I am being difficult or expecting to much in wanting to keep the originality of the watch? Has anyone else had similar or better service recently?

Mini rant over...

Blog Entries
    Only has good experience from RSC St James. I can only guess their policy is to not return exchanged items.

This thread may make you chuckle. http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...re-what-a-Joke!!!!!

Master
    Who have you spoken to? Rolex directly or are you going through your AD?

Banned
    If you don't like it, then get someone else to do it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just curious - why are you getting a new bracelet on a fairly modern Rolex? Is the original a bit knackered?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Only has good experience from RSC St James. I can only guess their policy is to not return exchanged items.

This thread may make you chuckle. http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...re-what-a-Joke!!!!!
    I was super impressed with them before, just seems a bit meh now. And the prices of bezel inserts... WTAF!

Haha, you would almost think that a lug hole bracelet was fitted by mistake and sent in for rectifiction...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Who have you spoken to? Rolex directly or are you going through your AD?
    Its through and AD aquaintance I have been buying from for a number of years, who has also commented that they have gone downhill.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    They used to be very good, and I might have just got a bad egg this time. The point is they should be the best and at the end of the day, I am not going to lie, I like the correspondence, the service papers, 2 years warranty and knowing its a kosher LV.

I have used Rolex approved in the past also and went back to RSC this time because I recalled a better service than the approved repairers.

Master
    Had my sub c serviced a few months ago br rsc and had no complaints

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Just curious - why are you getting a new bracelet on a fairly modern Rolex? Is the original a bit knackered?
    It's a 13 year old watch and the bracelet has stretched as they do.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Its through and AD aquaintance I have been buying from for a number of years, who has also commented that they have gone downhill.
    Perhaps things would be easier if you could talk to Rolex direct, a phone call may be a good idea. There may be some problems/misunderstandings that have arisen because you have gone through the AD.

Grand Master
    Why o why don`t you send the watch to a Rolex accredited independent?.....you'd avoid all this hassle. You talk to the guy who's actually doing the work and ensure you're both in agreement. Far more chance of getting things right.

As a general rule in life, I avoid communicating via third parties. If I want something fixing I want to talk directly to the guy who does the work, whether it's car service, having my fence mended, having my garden wall rebuilt or having a Rolex serviced. I don`t service my own Rolexes for reasons I've outlined many times, I entrust them to a highly regarded independent who I know and trust.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 8th September 2016 at 22:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Yes you are correct. Rolex will not allow you to keep the old bits because of the risk that it may be sold on to build a frankenwatch.

If they keep the old bits, they get destroyed.

It seems a very good policy.

Mick

Master
    Blog Entries
    I agree with walkerwek. I wouldn't dare to let RSC loose on my Rolex. There's no way I would want them carrying out work which was not to my specification nor keeping any of my property if any parts were replaced

Master
    It doesn't always have to be on an exchange basis, as this is unenforceable when parts like bezels, inserts, crowns and even bracelets do get lost. However, the price you pay for a part on an exchange basis is significantly discounted (however little it feels like it) from the full price of the part, if supplied on a non-exchange basis. Some would refer to this as paying a premium for a non-exchange supply of the same part, but that would be splitting hairs.

They are, it must be said, happier to supply some parts than others without an exchange.

H

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    It doesn't always have to be on an exchange basis, as this is unenforceable when parts like bezels, inserts, crowns and even bracelets do get lost. However, the price you pay for a part on an exchange basis is significantly discounted (however little it feels like it) from the full price of the part, if supplied on a non-exchange basis. Some would refer to this as paying a premium for a non-exchange supply of the same part, but that would be splitting hairs.

They are, it must be said, happier to supply some parts than others without an exchange.

H
    Greetings Haywood

I know you are in the trade and I am not but about a year ago I was having dinner in London with some chaps, one of whom worked for Rolex.

This was about the time I had bought a 1655 and he told me that if I put it in for service, I could expect it to come back looking like new but Rolex would keep the old bits such as the bezel and lens. I sort of dropped a hint that could he do me a favour by side stepping the system and unfortunately he said it would be more than his job was worth.

Regards

Mick

Master
    Blog Entries
    You only need to look at the vintage Rolex market to see that Rolexes which have had dials & hands etc. replaced & cases polished during services are devalued in the eyes of a potential buyer. Originality is a very good selling point

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Yes you are correct. Rolex will not allow you to keep the old bits because of the risk that it may be sold on to build a frankenwatch.

If they keep the old bits, they get destroyed.

It seems a very good policy.

Mick
    Agreed, if ever there was an abomination, then the franken is it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Greetings Haywood

I know you are in the trade and I am not but about a year ago I was having dinner in London with some chaps, one of whom worked for Rolex.

This was about the time I had bought a 1655 and he told me that if I put it in for service, I could expect it to come back looking like new but Rolex would keep the old bits such as the bezel and lens. I sort of dropped a hint that could he do me a favour by side stepping the system and unfortunately he said it would be more than his job was worth.

Regards

Mick
    Dear Rolex service person,

Here is my Rolex 1665. The bezel came off when I caught it on part of a submerged wreck / a ruffian in a G-Shock tried to mug me / I threw at my computer when I saw someone trying to sell old shoes on Sales Corner, and unfortunately I could not then find it. I definitely didn't make that up after just taking the bezel off and keeping it at home. Would you supply and fit a new one please?

So, that will the same as the cost on exchange basis + 50% you say? Oh, go on then....

Journeyman
    The Rolex centre should be most helpful, you would agree if it was you who was the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why o why don`t you send the watch to a Rolex accredited independent?.....you'd avoid all this hassle. You talk to the guy who's actually doing the work and ensure you're both in agreement. Far more chance of getting things right.

As a general rule in life, I avoid communicating via third parties. If I want something fixing I want to talk directly to the guy who does the work, whether it's car service, having my fence mended, having my garden wall rebuilt or having a Rolex serviced. I don`t service my own Rolexes for reasons I've outlined many times, I entrust them to a highly regarded independent who I know and trust.

Paul
    He was sending it to the Rolex service centre was he not? Is that not part of the Rolex company? Maybe I assumed it was since it's called Rolex service centre? A highly regarded independent is great you're right but if the OP is sending to Rolex I assume the service centre listed in their uk website then that should be a good thing? If it's the pukka Rolex centre then it's not a third party.

Master
    W
    It's a 13 year old watch and the bracelet has stretched as they do.
    Send the bracelet to M.Young in HK - he'll get it back to new for a fraction of the RSC price.

Right, after reading the thread title I immediately thought, you have definately got a point! I had a very nice experience at RSC kings hill a few years back when I had my steel yacht master serviced. Couldn't fault the front of house technician at all. Very knowledgable and also a keen watch enthusiast. He had the cleanest oyster Quartz I've ever seen, he said perks of the job he gets to polish it as and when. Great chap. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I chip my brand new seadweller glass after about 5 days of ownership. Not happy as it seems like an ongoing problem with my Rolex that they keep picking up chips in the glass etc and believe me I baby my watches. So I pop down to kings hill RSC after speaking to customer services and venting my frustration about the ease of which the glasses are chipping when I honestly have no recollection of knocking the watch. So I roll up to the RSC thinking il see the same chap still plodding along at front of house. Out comes a young lady. All of 25 I'd say. I explain why I'm there, and she takes my watch. I ask her a few questions thinking maybe she's a knowledgable technician as one would expect. "Errrrrrr, errrrrrr, I'm not sure. Il have to check." Was her answer to pretty much all of my questions. So now I'm thinking she's not really the type of peraon who should be Rolex first point of contact for customers who know what they are talking about. I was wearing my steel Daytona which is about 7 years old and I said could you have a look at it and tell me what may or may not need doing for a full service please. She got the book out and said £xxx and that was that. No offer to look at it in depth or leave it with themselves to give me a more detailed qoute, in case I needed pushers, hands etc. I then asked her which was now apparent a cardinal sin. Any chance I could have one of the green pouches of which there was a whole box on the side which must have had hundreds in. Bearing in mind I'm bringing in a one week old £7k seadweller 4000 and I have a steel Daytona on and they have my details of my previous service with my yacht master. "Sorry sir, they are for our customers who've had their watches serviced." I couldn't wait to get out of there. Gone downhill? 100%

Ps the previous front of house technician gave me a few service pouches on my last service and sold me a seadweller kit including screwdriver when I didn't own a seadweller. Common sense approach to customer service and a decent chap

Master
    Perhaps things would be easier if you could talk to Rolex direct, a phone call may be a good idea. There may be some problems/misunderstandings that have arisen because you have gone through the AD.
    The comms have all been written clearly, and passed via my AD. I may give them a phone to see if there is any movement on their position. (thats almost punny)

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    I have used independents in the past with varying success. I have used recommended independents and had issues or difficulties as well. Like I said above the reason I went RSC because I like the correspondence, the service papers, 2 years warranty and knowing its a kosher LV.

H
    The AD had said that they were recently providing parts on a non exchange basis, IIRC 50% cost more than listed for exchange. However this time they are just saying no...

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    W

Send the bracelet to M.Young in HK - he'll get it back to new for a fraction of the RSC price.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Right, after reading the thread title I immediately thought, you have definately got a point! I had a very nice experience at RSC kings hill a few years back when I had my steel yacht master serviced. Couldn't fault the front of house technician at all. Very knowledgable and also a keen watch enthusiast. He had the cleanest oyster Quartz I've ever seen, he said perks of the job he gets to polish it as and when. Great chap. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I chip my brand new seadweller glass after about 5 days of ownership. Not happy as it seems like an ongoing problem with my Rolex that they keep picking up chips in the glass etc and believe me I baby my watches. So I pop down to kings hill RSC after speaking to customer services and venting my frustration about the ease of which the glasses are chipping when I honestly have no recollection of knocking the watch. So I roll up to the RSC thinking il see the same chap still plodding along at front of house. Out comes a young lady. All of 25 I'd say. I explain why I'm there, and she takes my watch. I ask her a few questions thinking maybe she's a knowledgable technician as one would expect. "Errrrrrr, errrrrrr, I'm not sure. Il have to check." Was her answer to pretty much all of my questions. So now I'm thinking she's not really the type of peraon who should be Rolex first point of contact for customers who know what they are talking about. I was wearing my steel Daytona which is about 7 years old and I said could you have a look at it and tell me what may or may not need doing for a full service please. She got the book out and said £xxx and that was that. No offer to look at it in depth or leave it with themselves to give me a more detailed qoute, in case I needed pushers, hands etc. I then asked her which was now apparent a cardinal sin. Any chance I could have one of the green pouches of which there was a whole box on the side which must have had hundreds in. Bearing in mind I'm bringing in a one week old £7k seadweller 4000 and I have a steel Daytona on and they have my details of my previous service with my yacht master. "Sorry sir, they are for our customers who've had their watches serviced." I couldn't wait to get out of there. Gone downhill? 100%

Ps the previous front of house technician gave me a few service pouches on my last service and sold me a seadweller kit including screwdriver when I didn't own a seadweller. Common sense approach to customer service and a decent chap
    It seems there is definitely a reduction in the level of service and a level of service that is not in keeping with the brand. Disappointing :(

Master
    I'm so disappointed in hearing the seemingly rapid decline of RSC, they used to be beyond reproach, in a way I'm glad to be down to only one of their offerings and it's still got 4 year warranty left. I hope people that have had bad experiences recently apart from venting here and sharing the info which of course is appreciated, also let CS know, so they can make improvements

I found them appalling when I used them.

I'd take your initial difficulties as a warning and run for the hills.

At least if you take it to an independent you can talk about any problems or concerns with the person who's doing the work.

Master
    A bit more perspective could help. Rolex provide a written estimate of work....without charge. So why does the person receiving watches have to be a technician? An expert is about to give it a proper check. As for expecting free goodies...why?
    Rolex generally provide fine service, in my opinion,but they are not there to hand out free stuff or do formal appraisals at the front desk. Or indeed, to have chats with watch enthusiasts, annoying as that may be. Give them a bit of slack and be glad they provide one of the most accessible and thorough services in the industry.

Master
    Dear Rolex service person,

Here is my Rolex 1665. The bezel came off when I caught it on part of a submerged wreck / a ruffian in a G-Shock tried to mug me / I threw at my computer when I saw someone trying to sell old shoes on Sales Corner, and unfortunately I could not then find it. I definitely didn't make that up after just taking the bezel off and keeping it at home. Would you supply and fit a new one please?

So, that will the same as the cost on exchange basis + 50% you say? Oh, go on then....
    Hello Haywood

Ok your point is taken but the very fact that Rolex make it difficult for spare bits to be on the open market is of benefit to us all. It is a policy that we should support.

Regards

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    A bit more perspective could help. Rolex provide a written estimate of work....without charge. So why does the person receiving watches have to be a technician? An expert is about to give it a proper check. As for expecting free goodies...why?
    Rolex generally provide fine service, in my opinion,but they are not there to hand out free stuff or do formal appraisals at the front desk. Or indeed, to have chats with watch enthusiasts, annoying as that may be. Give them a bit of slack and be glad they provide one of the most accessible and thorough services in the industry.
    Errr I did ask them for an estimation. The person receiving the watches has been very thorough in the past and knowledgable. Not so now. Expecting free "goodies", are you serious? I have over £25k worth of Rolex not to mention the ones I've bought and sold over the last few years, is a velvet pouch which costs mere pennies to produce a lot to ask for a valued customer? I only asked for the sake of it, just to see if they would be kind and courteous. I wasn't their for a "chat" either, I was there to see if I could resolve a problem with my new watch. I get to talk to enough watch enthusiast on TZ uk. It would appear your from the camp that Rolex aim to market towards, be happy with what you get from us for £xxxx and that's your lot. Like it or lump it. we don't care. Well some of us do care and some of us like old fashioned service with a smile from people that know what they are doing. Mappin and Webb who sold me the seadweller 4000 in the first place didn't even know what a seadweller 4000 was, they brought out a deep sea instead and said I was confused, the deep sea IS the seadweller 4000 as its water depth was 3900m. Complete and utter idiots.
    Last edited by Yeti; 9th September 2016 at 10:02.

Master

To be fair i think we are the minority. THe majority of people who own rolexes are not knoweldgeable about watches at all. Perhaps we expect too much from the receptionist. Sure if I was servicing my A Lange & Sohne chronograph i would expect a highly knowledgeable technician to explain to me precisely what stuff needs to be replaced etc.

Also there are too many dealers and resellers. case in point a SD screwdriveer is like £350 on ebay.....I can see why they would not wanna sell this now.
    Last edited by kaiserphoenix; 9th September 2016 at 11:00.

Master
    This is disturbing re the finishing of the watch.

When my Submariner was last in for service a couple of years ago I asked that the watch head be left unpolished as it was virtually unmarked and RSC said that was Ok, they would rather polish it but customers request was paramount.

Service was completed but the watch came back with a scratch on the side opposite the crown which was very noticeable so I then sent it back for rectification and, to be fair, that was remedied.

I, too, have had problems with independents, not for my Rolex by the way, and now stick to the Manufacturer's Service Centres.

Having said that, I took one of my Omegas into my local jeweller for a new link for the bracelet. They said they sent it back to OSC as they couldn't source it. OSC provided the new link free of charge, excellent service, but the watch has come back running -4secs/day whereas it was a constant +2 scec/day prior to this. No idea how this could happen but it looks like it will be going back again for regulation, ho hum.

Master
    Errr I did ask them for an estimation. The person receiving the watches has been very thorough in the past and knowledgable. Not so now. Expecting free "goodies", are you serious? I have over £25k worth of Rolex not to mention the ones I've bought and sold over the last few years, is a velvet pouch which costs mere pennies to produce a lot to ask for a valued customer? I only asked for the sake of it, just to see if they would be kind and courteous. I wasn't their for a "chat" either, I was there to see if I could resolve a problem with my new watch. I get to talk to enough watch enthusiast on TZ uk. It would appear your from the camp that Rolex aim to market towards, be happy with what you get from us for £xxxx and that's your lot. Like it or lump it. we don't care. Well some of us do care and some of us like old fashioned service with a smile from people that know what they are doing. Mappin and Webb who sold me the seadweller 4000 in the first place didn't even know what a seadweller 4000 was, they brought out a deep sea instead and said I was confused, the deep sea IS the seadweller 4000 as its water depth was 3900m. Complete and utter idiots.
    I remember those days, retail / service industry personnel used to treat their customers with respect, that's long gone now with the ME generation unfortunately. I've lost count the number of times some snooty twit has looked down on me for daring to enter their establishment nevermind wanting to buy / get information on their own products. And once you get someone's attention it's a case of 'I dunno'. Maybe it's just the UK retail 'surly training school' that churns out these twits. I was in Amsterdam last week, for a cheap few days away, walked into Gassan just for a nosey, I was treated with respect and courtesy. Ended up being not so cheap as I walked out with a PAM512, a few extras from Gassan and Panerai, a reasonable discount, etc etc. You know like you used to get. I was a very pleasant surprise.

As a contrast in the UK at the moment, spoke to a lovely lady 2 days ago about selling a POTi-42. "always interested in that model" blah blah blah. so I said I'll bring it in next day, then I got a funny look, like it was unusual not to be carrying around a circa £5k watch with all its papers etc on the off chance the shop might want to buy it.

Anyway, brought it in at the agreed time, to be greeted by "she's not in, day off, I'll ask the director, oh he's not in either, but he told me we have too much stock not buying anything at the moment" so I smiled thanked him and his shop for wasting my time. CLUNTS

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    To be fair i think we are the minority. THe majority of people who own rolexes are not knoweldgeable about watches at all.
    That's why think think they can get away with poor service generally and, more particularly, putting someone relatively cheap and with no product knowledge on reception.

Master
    Sorry to do this, but there's a car analogy coming.

It would be like taking your car into the dealer for a service and being dealt with by a salesperson. Rather than the service staff who know your car and what needs to be done that day for that particular service. And even if it's only the service receptionist at least at the dealer I use she can read from the service script!

I know we can be pedantic about it as it's our hobby, but it really isn't that much to ask for company representatives to give a 5H!T about where they work. or is it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Sorry to do this, but there's a car analogy coming.

It would be like taking your car into the dealer for a service and being dealt with by a salesperson. Rather than the service staff who know your car and what needs to be done that day for that particular service. And even if it's only the service receptionist at least at the dealer I use she can read from the service script!

I know we can be pedantic about it as it's our hobby, but it really isn't that much to ask for company representatives to give a 5H!T about where they work. or is it?
    Yeah, i mean im not arguiung your point at all. Just want to add that the number of people who genuinely CARE about the car is much much higher. In addition there are the laws and regulations a car owner must adhere to, ie MOT, lights must be working and everything. There are lives at stakes, makes sense for the technician to be involved.

The average rolex person doesnt give a dam WHICH gears gonna be replaced, which parts replaced, they drop off the watch, 4 weeks time, comes back looking like new. Thats it. Its the real minority of us that cares about the polish here and there and all that.

I agree that for VINTAGE pieces that is different.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Yeah, i mean im not arguiung your point at all. Just want to add that the number of people who genuinely CARE about the car is much much higher. In addition there are the laws and regulations a car owner must adhere to, ie MOT, lights must be working and everything. There are lives at stakes, makes sense for the technician to be involved.

The average rolex person doesnt give a dam WHICH gears gonna be replaced, which parts replaced, they drop off the watch, 4 weeks time, comes back looking like new. Thats it. Its the real minority of us that cares about the polish here and there and all that.

I agree that for VINTAGE pieces that is different.
    100% the vast majority of owners don't care, they just want shiny, this to me seems to be reflected in the service. Cog not customer. Cater for the masses.

The case polish is important if you intend on keeping them long long term as one day they will become vintage...

How long before the 'lume isn't working anymore', must replace dial and hands exchange only or no service papers/warranty...

Master
    100% the vast majority of owners don't care, they just want shiny, this to me seems to be reflected in the service. Cog not customer. Cater for the masses.

The case polish is important if you intend on keeping them long long term as one day they will become vintage...

How long before the 'lume isn't working anymore', must replace dial and hands exchange only or no service papers/warranty...
    That happened to me many years ago with a Sub, but knew next to nothing about this mental pastime then. And, of course, it was reflected in the price when moved on, t'was a nice trit Swiss T<25 dial and hands set was replaced with the Swiss Made Luminova. Oh well, live and learn and pay for your mistakes