closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple #2 in watch sales

Apple #2 in watch sales

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrxIc8EU...jpg&name=large

Not a surprise, but #1 and some of the others are.

I can only think they are placing themselves in a kind of weird market segment.

That, or Argos are in the low volume niche business.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

I wouldn't call what they make a watch

Ah, it's by $ volume.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Blog Entries
    They are WEARABLES not WATCHES.

what?? Casio at the bottom - really - so Patek are a higher volume seller than casio? What twitter feed is this from - not apple surely? Ah - just saw note from stood..

Anyway apparently sales are falling - and apple won't officially disclose their 'wearables' sales figures anyway..

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 7th September 2016 at 18:49.

Master
    It is not by number of watches, it is by $ value of sales.

Rolex sell a lot of watches and they are pricey. Seiko sell a lot more watches, but you get a lot of Seiko 5s to the Milgauss.

Fossil obviously sell more watches than I can possible contemplate, which is why we are a happy minority.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm surprised PP is so high. I thought it would be much lower volumes than that. I get that it's on $ sales but still thought brands like tag heuer would sell more than 20 or so for each PP out there.

And after today's announcement of Apple Watch 2, all those old Apple watches are now so last year. My Rolex however...

In the same way as Rolex updating the Explorer renders the pre-16 model so last year ?
    Last edited by -Ally-; 7th September 2016 at 20:25.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    They are WEARABLES not WATCHES.
    Anyway apparently sales are falling - and apple won't officially disclose their 'wearables' sales figures anyway.
    There's a bit of insight and analysis into how apple stacks up in the wearables market in this IDC article here.

Master
    new Apple Watch is waterproof..............makes it a better proposition.

Of course it's a watch - it tells the time and many other things.

Personally I never got on with it but this was not down to the digital/interface thing, rather the features that I never used.

Good on them - clearly working hard on what they do.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    There's a bit of insight and analysis into how apple stacks up in the wearables market in this IDC article here.
    Cheers. Here is n extract. Seems Apple has a way to go. Going down by 50%

Top Five Wearable Device Vendors, Unit Shipments, Market Share, and Year-Over-Year
    Growth, Q2 2016 (Units in Millions)
    Vendor 2Q16 Unit
    Shipments
    2Q16 Market
    2Q15 Unit
    Shipments
    2Q15 Market
    2Q16/2Q15
    Growth
    1. Fitbit 5.7 25.4% 4.4 24.9% 28.7%
    2. Xiaomi 3.1 14.0% 3.1 17.2% 2.5%
    3. Apple 1.6 7.0% 3.6 20.3% -56.7%
    4. Garmin 1.6 6.9% 0.8 4.2% 106.7%
    5. Lifesense 1.0 4.6% 0.0 0.0% N/A
    Others 9.5 42.1% 5.9 33.3% 59.3%
    Total 22.5 100.0%

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Seems Apple has a way to go. Going down by 50%
    In fairness, the article did make the following point regarding apple's figures relative to the others in the table:

"Apple was the only vendor among the market leaders to post a year-over-year decrease in shipment volumes, primarily because it did not launch a new model on the anniversary of its first generation Watch."

Master
    Very surprised by the list. I would've bet on Casio being top, given their volume and price point. I think the overall decline in watch sales over the past 2 decades have probably hit the low end much harder. Top end demand is less about function than beauty/aesthetics so that may well have increased.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Very surprised by the list. I would've bet on Casio being top, given their volume and price point. I think the overall decline in watch sales over the past 2 decades have probably hit the low end much harder. Top end demand is less about function than beauty/aesthetics so that may well have increased.

It is a list of wearable devices. Casio is not covered by this list. It is a watch not a 'device' and there is a question re whether it is wearable or not:-)

Another take on the topic:

Why it's nearly impossible for Apple to beat Rolex
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-it...16-9?r=US&IR=T

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It is a list of wearable devices. Casio is not covered by this list. It is a watch not a 'device' and there is a question re whether it is wearable or not:-)
    I'm referring to the original list from the first post. Casio are there. :-)

I'm referring to the original list from the first post. Casio are there. :-)

Plus although it is too new to impact this list, they now have an android wear watch.

Craftsman
    While I get the fact the Apple Watch offer some nice features but somehow fail to see what makes them so desirable for masses.
    Otherwise the revenue is not very much of a surprise

Master
    I'd wager Walmart Asda is higher in sales than Waitrose, but I don't think Watirose is concerned. Yet as with Walmart, Apple is not able to use its massive sales to leverage more ethical working conditions or higher pay for its staff, or pay the taxes it should.

Also, Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code has a higher value of sales in 14 years than J.D. Sallinger's The Catcher in the Rye has in 53 years, but I don't think anyone thinks The Da Vinci Code is a finer work of fiction.

Apple going on about its sales is great for shareholders and its Apple's job as a capitalist organisation that is about making money. But when people with no shares or value in Apple act impressed with this I think it comes under "knowing the cost of everything, and the value of nothing". They are a corporation, not a football team at the top of the table.
    Last edited by redsox78; 19th September 2016 at 21:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    . [/I]They are a corporation, not a football team at the top of the table.
    Given the corporate nature of the current football world I'm not sure your conclusion is valid... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Of course it's a watch - it tells the time and many other things.
    My phone tells the time and does many other things, but it's not a watch...

It's a wearable gadget... No-one will be wanting to buy a 2015 gadget in 50 years time...

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    My phone tells the time and does many other things, but it's not a watch...

It's a wearable gadget... No-one will be wanting to buy a 2015 gadget in 50 years time...

M.
    It tells the time and you wear it on your wrist, isn't that the definition of a watch?

If we rule out 'watches' that do other things, then G-shocks and most digitals are also not watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    It tells the time and you wear it on your wrist, isn't that the definition of a watch?

If we rule out 'watches' that do other things, then G-shocks and most digitals are also not watches.
    That's their primary function, though, unlike the Apple Watch, where (like a phone) it's almost an artefact of the primary functions...

You'll be able to pick up a G-Shock in 60 years and it'll still be useful for its main purpose, just like a '50s Omega today.

An Apple Watch might still tell the time, but it's unlikely it'll do anything else it's intended to do today very well, if at all.

Chances are you won't be able to interface it to anything either. After all, how many people have a paper tape or card reader knocking around to consume the input and output of IT devices from the '60s and '70s?

They'll have their followers, I expect, but people collect G-Shocks today for God's sake!

M

PS I know it's not a common or popular view here, but I don't really consider a G-Shock a watch either!
    Last edited by snowman; 20th September 2016 at 16:38.

Master
    You learn something every day . I did not realise Rolex was top on sales, by cost. Impressive. Apple will overtake them, but it's not the same market.

I'm amazed Cartier sold more watches than Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I'm amazed Cartier sold more watches than Seiko
    They didn't - It's by $ value.

More surprising to me is that Citizen sold more than Seiko...

M.

Master

PS I know it's not a common or popular view here, but I don't really consider a G-Shock a watch either!
    Not G-Shock fanboy at all BTW but if it's not a watch, what is it then?

They called it "Apple Watch" so I guess it's a watch in many people's eyes.

But it's called an iPhone and it's really a pocket computer. An Apple Watch is a wrist computer.

Apparently the use of 'watch' to describe a timepiece is connected to the idea of needing to be awake when on watch or watching, or of needing an alarm to keep you watchful. So we horologists also appropriated the term.

Someone else must have posted that before, apols for not searching.

Craftsman
    Got my Apple watch about a month ago and haven't worn anything else since.

It tells the time, date, weather, it tells me of incoming calls and SMS silently.

That's all I want it to do, don't give a monkeys about the other functionality. I do wonder why people don't consider it a watch just because it is a watch with added functionality.

It's watch sized, shaped, worn in the same place, informs the user of the time, the primary (default) display shows the time, just like any other watch.

Didn't buy it new though, I wasn't sure if having to charge it every couple of days would drive me nuts (it doesn't).

I really am missing wearing my other favourites though! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I love 'proper' watches, I have a few (inexpensive ones) and dream of the day I can afford some true heirloom pieces to pass on to my kids.
    The wife bought me an apple watch last xmas and it's now my daily wear / beater watch as it's just so damn useful (mostly things like fitness, voice activated timers and the like), so much so that the only time I wear my 'old' beater (an orange monster) is if I'm going swimming. My other dressier pieces are now reserved for special occasions.
    I'll probably upgrade to a series 2 apple watch at some point purely due to the waterproofing.
    For me there is room for both types of watch in my life and in fact my apple watch makes wearing one of my other watches more of an 'occasion'.
    YMMV of course.

Master
    They didn't - It's by $ value.

More surprising to me is that Citizen sold more than Seiko...

M.
    I'm not. Almost every jewellers I've looked in has a citizen section. Far less than half do Seiko. Also Seiko have a bad habit of limiting their best stuff geographically. About 10 of my 15 Seikos are imported. Only 1 of my 5 citizens are. Seiko don't seem to see UK as a significant market.

Master
    I'm not. Almost every jewellers I've looked in has a citizen section. Far less than half do Seiko. Also Seiko have a bad habit of limiting their best stuff geographically. About 10 of my 15 Seikos are imported. Only 1 of my 5 citizens are. Seiko don't seem to see UK as a significant market.

Citizen is big in the US as well, every outlet mall seems to have a Citizen, gutted that the Seiko in Florida went (they had the Brightz chronos n stuff).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Citizen is big in the US as well, every outlet mall seems to have a Citizen, gutted that the Seiko in Florida went (they had the Brightz chronos n stuff).
    So Seiko are also a bit unconcerned with the US market as well?! For a company that makes so many great watches it's disappointing that they appear so lacklustre to sell them.

Master
    Just got an e-mail from Citizen telling me about their new EcoDrive Smartwatch. Looks quite handsome I guess, but its all too trendy for me! EcoDrive makes a lot more sense than conventional batteries that need frequent recharging....

Master
    So Seiko are also a bit unconcerned with the US market as well?! For a company that makes so many great watches it's disappointing that they appear so lacklustre to sell them.

Dunno, but if I was global dictator for a day I would bloody well tell them to start selling their good stuff globally. I do not get it.