closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadbury's Roses

Cadbury's Roses

My mother-in-law packed my wife off with a tub of Cadbury's Roses this weekend after she went to visit.

I've not had any for a year or so but WTF has happened to them?

They're all the same square shape (what happened to the caramel keg?) and come in the same uniform sealed packaging like an after-dinner mint in a cheap restaurant. The chocolate is also not very nice and there are microscopic pieces of hazelnut in the best one.

I know there have been lots of stories in the media about confectionary companies shrinking chocolate bars over the years, and there was something I vaguely recall my wife complaining about Creme Eggs not having Dairy Milk chocolate on them any more, but what has happened to this very British institution?

I feel like Christmas has been tainted now.

dog muck in tinsel. you have to go thorntons to get a decent entry level chocolate these days.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Owned by the yanks now. Ever eaten American chocolate? Yuk. Enough said.

Cheers,

Plug

Roses died a death years ago. When I think back to the huge tin we'd get every Christmas and how long it'd last...

But who can stand in the way of progress?

Master
    The keg is still there, but it’s in the same generic wrapping as the others.

Cadbury's just isn't Cadbury's anymore, the recipe changed i believe, for the worse...

Blog Entries
    The Toblerone effect...

Agreed - nonsense

Tripe in tinfoil. Awful sh!te.

Cadburys fell long ago.

You need some proper chocolate from the UK and from a member of the Cadbury family.

https://lovecocoa.com/

Master
    Noticed this a few years ago. Prices stay the same and the boxes get smaller and the sweets you associate with childhood are no more as the shapes change etc. Same as quality streets.

Did anyone else think of Normal Vaughan when they saw this thread?

Last edited by Velorum; 18th December 2017 at 21:25.

^ No.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Yum yum!

Ingredients

• Milk,
    • Sugar,
    • Glucose Syrup,
    • Cocoa Butter,
    • Vegetable Fats (Palm, Shea),
    • Whey Powder (from Milk),
    • Glucose-Fructose Syrup,
    • Cocoa Mass,
    • Hazelnuts,
    • Emulsifiers (E442, Soya Lecithin, E471, Sunflower Lecithin, E476),
    • Rice Flour,
    • Skimmed Milk Powder,
    • Reduced Fat Cocoa Powder,
    • Humectant (Glycerol),
    • Flavourings,
    • Salt,
    • Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate,
    • Molasses,
    • Citric Acid,
    • Colours (Anthocyanins, Paprika Extract),
    • Whey Protein Concentrate (from Milk),
    • Sunflower Oil,
    • Milk Chocolate: Milk Solids 14 % minimum,
    • Milk Chocolate and Chocolate contain Vegetable Fats in addition to Cocoa Butter

I miss the Lime Cordial, again in a barrel form , from the Milk Tray selection..
    Last edited by notnowkato; 18th December 2017 at 21:17.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's like the Cadbury's Creme Egg. No longer has Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate on it. They're awful now. Too sweet. Unless it says "Dairy Milk" on the packaging, it doesn't have the Cadbury taste any more

Master
    If you want decent chocs these days you have to pay for it. Thornton’s used to be good but not these days. Hotel Chocolate are decent for mass produced boxes. Chococo.co.uk are better still but pricey. Recommend their choc. salami!
    Last edited by Slamdoor; 18th December 2017 at 21:22.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I find some of Aldi's chocolate tastes a lot better then cadbury.

Master
    Expensive but worth it. Lauden Chocolate. I know the guy that started it and it's now the chocolate served in BA 1st Class.

http://www.laudenchocolate.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I agree. Higher in calories too, I noticed when I looked guiltily at the 200g bar I bought. Sainsbury's own brand isn't terrible. Galaxy remains okay.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post

Cheers,

Plug
    American chocolate tastes like goats cheese to me. Nasty.

Lindt all the way for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I miss the Lime Cordial, again in a barrel form , from the Milk Tray selection..
    Likewise! Milk Tray chocolates were a really decent treat in their day, sadly the current offering is a very unpleasant tasting mix of uninteresting cheap tasteless stodge in ‘illusion’ packaging. Pretty much typical of the Cadbury product these days and that is why I no longer buy Cadbury’s. Popular opinion is that the Cadbury’s takeover destroyed the product, the popular opinion is quite correct!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    My mother-in-law packed my wife off with a tub of Cadbury's Roses this weekend after she went to visit.

I've not had any for a year or so but WTF has happened to them?

They're all the same square shape (what happened to the caramel keg?) and come in the same uniform sealed packaging like an after-dinner mint in a cheap restaurant. The chocolate is also not very nice and there are microscopic pieces of hazelnut in the best one.

I know there have been lots of stories in the media about confectionary companies shrinking chocolate bars over the years, and there was something I vaguely recall my wife complaining about Creme Eggs not having Dairy Milk chocolate on them any more, but what has happened to this very British institution?

I feel like Christmas has been tainted now.
    I feel the disapointment I was in Sainsbury’s last night we allways had quality street as kids so that’s wht I bought,I hope they will be OK.
    Why change things we all love and destroy your own sales,pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Likewise! Milk Tray chocolates were a really decent treat in their day, sadly the current offering is a very unpleasant tasting mix of uninteresting cheap tasteless stodge in ‘illusion’ packaging. Pretty much typical of the Cadbury product these days and that is why I no longer buy Cadbury’s. Popular opinion is that the Cadbury’s takeover destroyed the product, the popular opinion is quite correct!
    The ''American'' dream
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    It's like the Cadbury's Creme Egg. No longer has Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate on it. They're awful now. Too sweet. Unless it says "Dairy Milk" on the packaging, it doesn't have the Cadbury taste any more
    Yup, the US buyout of Cadbury destroyed it. I no longer buy Cadbury's chocolate. What a disaster.

You've also got to wonder if the owners will want to keep production in the UK when they can make their rubbish in lower cost jurisdictions.

A great British company that should have been managed to purchase competitors, not sold out for shorter term profit-taking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yup, the US buyout of Cadbury destroyed it. I no longer buy Cadbury's chocolate. What a disaster.

You've also got to wonder if the owners will want to keep production in the UK when they can make their rubbish in lower cost jurisdictions.

A great British company that should have been managed to purchase competitors, not sold out for shorter term profit-taking.
    The same could be said of British industries and tech for the last 50 years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The same could be said of British industries and tech for the last 50 years.
    I totally agree.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I remember Cadbury’s coming to our school and giving a lecture on production and products.
    It felt like a part of Britain something safe and secure.

Master
    I wonder if the new 'murican owners changed it all to increase profit margin or if they genuinely think it tastest better now.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I wonder if the new 'murican owners changed it all to increase profit margin or if they genuinely think it tastest better now.
    I'd be amazed if it was anything other than profitability.

To put it another way, that is to say that they are treating consumers as mugs.

Regrettably, this may well be a successful strategy. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I'd be amazed if it was anything other than profitability.

To put it another way, that is to say that they are treating consumers as mugs.

Regrettably, this may well be a successful strategy. :-(
    All you can eat for a fiver!

Many years ago I had a brief dalliance with an American of the trailer trash variety, an episode best forgotten on most counts. But she did introduce me to the sweet pleasure and delight of getting one’s tongue inside a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, a confectionary at that time not widely sold outside the US.

I remember thinking that the combination of sweet and creamy chocolate and salty peanut butter was a fantastic idea but poorly executed due to the low quality of the American chocolate. Funnily enough I bought some not so long ago having noticed that they are now readily available this side of the pond; and thought the same thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Funnily enough I bought some not so long ago having noticed that they are now readily available this side of the pond; and thought the same thing.
    I agree. I love the idea of the peanut butter cups but the chocolate used on them is noticeably pasty and poor. For what it's worth, I find that the poor quality of the chocolate is less noticeable on Reese's peanut and chocolate bars.

It saddens me that Cadbury's chocolate now resembles this poor quality chocolate!

Haven’t bought those for many years. Too sugary 🤭

I used to cycle past the old cadbury factory on the track out of staple hill in Bristol. It had an an amazing smell🤓

Chocolate snobbery comes out here... I favour Charbonnel et Walker as a Crimbo choc.
    The Mrs will have Godiva.

Master
    I believe that Cadbury's have switched production of most of their chocolate to Poland and they also pay hardly any corporation tax either..

Montezuma is a British chocolatier and I think their products are terrific. They have stores in various upmarket towns but you can also get their stuff in John Lewis and fro their own website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I believe that Cadbury's have switched production of most of their chocolate to Poland and they also pay hardly any corporation tax either..
    Apart from being a non-G&D discussion, what does that have to do with how it tastes?

Blog Entries
    I will say that I am bias, and I love the Amedei chocolate done in Tuscany, about 25 km from my home town. In that valley there are three of thebtop chocolatiers in Europe. and is aclled the "valley of chocolate".

Amedei in UK is sold by chocolatetradingco.com, which I think is based in Macclesfield. Just try a small box of Choa cocoa truffles.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    Haven’t bought those for many years. Too sugary 來

I used to cycle past the old cadbury factory on the track out of staple hill in Bristol. It had an an amazing smell邏
    It's a retirement community now :-(

I must admit that I have moved to Lindt choc.
    I won’t buy Terrys after they deserted York for cheap foreign lands.
    Nestle brands are slowly doing the same to Rowntrees.
    I used to love Cadbury choc. ☹️

Blog Entries
    Many years ago I had a brief dalliance with an American of the trailer trash variety, an episode best forgotten on most counts. But she did introduce me to the sweet pleasure and delight of getting one’s tongue inside a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, a confectionary at that time not widely sold outside the US.

I remember thinking that the combination of sweet and creamy chocolate and salty peanut butter was a fantastic idea but poorly executed due to the low quality of the American chocolate. Funnily enough I bought some not so long ago having noticed that they are now readily available this side of the pond; and thought the same thing.
    Same with that Hershey’s tripe all the kids eat here now . As with Cadbury’s sell out and ingredient change , I find galaxy chocolate doesn’t taste as good as it did two decades ago .

Master
    Apart from being a non-G&D discussion, what does that have to do with how it tastes?
    well the production move to Poland has coincided with the change in taste. The bit about no corporation tax is just an add on I threw in - this makes me want to choose other chocolate instead. Bit like choosing Costa over Starbucks... of course you're correct though, the tax situation cannot affect the taste :)

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    well the production move to Poland has coincided with the change in taste. The bit about no corporation tax is just an add on I threw in - this makes me want to choose other chocolate instead. Bit like choosing Costa over Starbucks... of course you're correct though, the tax situation cannot affect the taste :)
    Fair play. Although life’s little luxuries do taste better when salted with the tears of the oppressed. 😄

These days if it's owned by Nestle or Mondelez it'll taste like crap. I stick to Leonidas now.

Cadburys used to be good. But it tastes far too sweet now. Noticed this over the years. Also noticed that they vary the amount of sugar sometimes. Very strange. Problem is, it like most stuff, is about profits, and the Yanks business models are like that, short term gains over quality.

Journeyman
    I opened a chocolate orange the other day, not only is it smaller but the segments have been thinned down, not a chunk anymore but a sliver………..

Yeah, all scams and fresh air these days (I buy the 'kids' a Toblerone for Xmas, but I only get the ones from Poundland now as the prices elsewhere are a total con!).

I was once working for 10 days in Cincinnati and fancied some chocolate - I went to a vending machine and figured a Snickers was a Snickers anywhere - One bite told me how wrong I was and I've NEVER eaten Chocolate in the US since!

I guess one benefit of this is I eat a lot less junk these days!

M

Master
    I remember thinking that the combination of sweet and creamy chocolate and salty peanut butter was a fantastic idea but poorly executed due to the low quality of the American chocolate.
    It was a brilliant idea and still is, but Reese's cups are indeed not the best example. Peanut Butter M&Ms are the way forward - again USA only but my wife brings me the "Party" bags back when she's on business (each bag just over 1kg ). They might be the most moreish substance known to man. Reeses Pieces are an equivalent but the butter:chocolate:shell ratio isn't as good. M&Ms are heavy on the peanut butter.