closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wearing watch inside of wrist or outside

Blog Entries

Wearing watch inside of wrist or outside

So, which way do you wear your watch? Inside of your wrist or ouside. For a long time i wore mine inside my wrist - so if I was holding a drink and someone asked me the time, they got covwred in beer, not me. These days with more expensive pieces I wear outside side, to protect the crystal.

How do you wear yours? Appropriate answers please.

I'm off to get Mongo.

Craftsman
    Always outside, don't understand why you would choose to wear it any other way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seen the odd person wear it inside. Always looks wrong to me.

I thought the new Tiffany East West was supposed to be worn on the inside

But Ariel Adams seems to think otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Chaps

I always wear my watch on the outside because it seems normal.

However I wore inside when in meetings because it is easier to glance at the watch without making it obvious.

Regards

Mick

Depends how I'm feeling really..

Sometimes inside the wrist -

Sometimes inside the outside -

Sometimes inside on my right ankle -

But tonight I'm wearing it on a kebab skewer, it's really handy for letting others know the time -

Sent from my X17_S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by senraw; 6th September 2016 at 23:43.

Always on the outside .

Grand Master
    The guys I see wearing the watch inside tend to be in their 60's up and most seem to be ex military so there may have been a reason we are forgetting. My dad and a couple of my uncles on my mums side wore their watches that way and they were all WW2 veterans, sadly I never thought to ask whilst they were alive. They all worked in engineering too so that could be a reason there.
    Last edited by ktmog6uk; 7th September 2016 at 00:00.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    outside, that is unless I forget to take my watch off before work then have to spin it inside, I have also put it around my ankle on the divers extension when at the gym under my joggers, yes theres the option of just taking it off but have you ever tried to make a claim when a watch hasn't been stolen off your person? never ever again!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    The guys I see wearing the watch inside tend to be in their 60's up and most seem to be ex military so there may have been a reason we are forgetting. My dad and a couple of my uncles on my mums side wore their watches that way and they were all WW2 veterans, sadly I never thought to ask whilst they were alive
    The same people who used to hold a cigarette with the filter out and the burning end towards the palm.

I wear it on the inside when running or cycling as it's easier to see on the bike an better pulse reading. Outside for everything else

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    i'm still a smoker, and i tend to do that only when walking in a crowded place or with non smoking mates.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    The same people who used to hold a cigarette with the filter out and the burning end towards the palm.

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    What's that stunning driver's watch designed with a 45 degree face to be worn on the inside of the wrist? Squarish face and yellow gold if I recall correctly.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You don't have to take your hand away from your rifle to tell the time with it inside, you just tilt arm slightly, means you are still weapon ready.

mike

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ^ Vacheron Constantin 1921?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    You don't have to take your hand away from your rifle to tell the time with it inside, you just tilt arm slightly, means you are still weapon ready.

mike
    Agree with this. Regarding engineers, inside of wrist protects the crystal when working around lumps of metal. Taking it off would be better still, mind you.

What's next? "Which hole on your NATO - is the clasp engaged in?"

This is getting truly dire

Al

I had a few good chuckle's at Karl's (Senraw) sarcastic photos above (we need a 'Like' facility)

Working with numerous ex-mil and/or engineers may explain why I have occasionally observed the dark practice of wearing the watch inside the wrist

Master
    Inside when driving as that's how it was designed to be worn. Every other watch outside as that's how they were designed and it makes sense; )

I think I'm on nato hole 5 but what's the up/down numbering convention?

Some 30 odd years ago when I was a teenager, my bike broke. It was supposed to be quick repair - I had to push some part back in place. It got stuck and I hit it with a palm. That was last time I wore my watch on inside of wrist, because of I shuttered glass, bent hands, basically that poor thing was f--ked up beyond repair.

Master
    When I was younger I used to wear my watches under my wrist (still do occasionally) - just to be a bit different really.
    The one practical advantage is that if your watch has a prominent crown, if the watch is even slightly loose, I found the crown would dig into your wrist if worn conventionally, whilst this was never a problem when worn under your wrist.

Master
    I thought the new Tiffany East West was supposed to be worn on the inside

But Ariel Adams seems to think otherwise

Yes, but he shaves his arm hair so we have to take everything he says with a large handful of salt.

SGR

Master

I've only ever seen older blokes smoke like that and it suggests lots of time spent outdoors, the cigarette being cupped like that to stop it being blown out.

SGR

Not much point wearing this one other than inside the wrist:

See link for more photos and : 145.010 - Genéve - Driver - 920 movement

Omega state: Case water resistant to 30 meters, designed to be worn under the wrist, with engraveable clasp.

Omega marketed this version as the "DRIVER" model. NOTE :- DRIVER not DIVER . It was designed to be worn "under" the wrist, instead of in the normal position "above" the wrist. The thinking was that whilst driving ( with your hands in the 14:45 position ), you could read the time, without removing your hands from the steering wheel.
    Last edited by PickleB; 7th September 2016 at 14:21. Reason: insert "other than" to make sense

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    I've only ever seen older blokes smoke like that and it suggests lots of time spent outdoors, the cigarette being cupped like that to stop it being blown out.

SGR
    I don't think it's to stop it being blown out. I speak from experience when I say I have never seen a standard packet cigarette blown out - there's stuff in it to keep it lit. However, packet cigarettes do burn down quickly in a strong wind. Roll-ups are a different matter, they can go out fairly easily.

As I understand it cigarettes are held like this, mainly by ex-military guys, so that if on guard duty or active duty the lit end cannot be seen (Sergeants and snipers, etc.). The cupped palm hides the lit end, especially as it flares brighter when drawn upon.

Maybe watches are worn on the inside of the wrist to hide the lume for a similar reason?
    Last edited by Alpha4; 7th September 2016 at 12:51.

Master
    Seems a bit 70's wearing it inside the wrist. Wasn't the Omega Dynamic designed for that purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Not much point wearing this one inside the wrist:

See link for more photos and : 145.010 - Genéve - Driver - 920 movement

Omega state: Case water resistant to 30 meters, designed to be worn under the wrist, with engraveable clasp.

Omega marketed this version as the "DRIVER" model. NOTE :- DRIVER not DIVER . It was designed to be worn "under" the wrist, instead of in the normal position "above" the wrist. The thinking was that whilst driving ( with your hands in the 14:45 position ), you could read the time, without removing your hands from the steering wheel.
    thanks for that link - amazing amount of info on there. the picture of the advert towards the end of the page indicates how it was designed for drivers .... it also reminds me of one of those "what if" moments. In 1982 my mum brought home this watch on a mesh strap from a local jewellers who had previously been an Omega agent (in the days when small local jewellers would be allowed to carry such brands). Those were the days of my parents always using this jeweller and him being happy to let it out the store "on appro". It was a true NOS watch that had been lying around for years. He wanted £40 for it, but my dad said "too big, too heavy" ....and back it went. If only.....

Craftsman
    Irrespective of the reason for doing so, wearing a watch on the inside just looks naff (IMHO).

Journeyman
    I wear mine senraw-style

Journeyman
    This is my 1917 Elgin White Star Dial.

This is an advert for a Black Star dial from 1919.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JOSE G View Post
    This is my 1917 Elgin White Star Dial.
    [/IMG]

That's interesting, thanks for posting. Your dial seems at 90 degrees to the one in the ad (and therefore better for inside the wrist). Were there different versions? I can see that yours has the Foch case.

Journeyman
    Yes there were 5 different dials.
    #1 metal dial

#2 metal dial

#3 enamel

#4 enamel

#5 enamel

This is the Pershing in the advert.

Grand Master
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by JOSE G View Post
    Yes there were 5 different dials.
    Thanks. That's quite a collection! Love the first one.

Blog Entries
    The Omega X-33 (I believe) was designed so that the time etc could be read off easily while handling flight controls etc. It has the digital displays at 90 degrees from 12 noon on the watch face.

As someone who smoked for 10+ years, it's fair to say it's pretty much always an affectation, particularly amongst young blokes trying to impress each other (and "women" - who probably know better at any given age). You pick your smoking "style", practice it, refine it, and attempt to look as "cool" as possible. The "cupped hand" is simply one aspect of "your thing". Tapping your ash, stubbing out, even lighting up are massively ritualised, pretentious gestures, by which you judge, and are judged. (If there was any other reason for smoking, you would pick an alternative drug IMO. Now alcohol is a very different beast - as are other genuinely rewarding vices).

I don't doubt that it does look massively cool if you're James Dean/Jimi Hendrix etc, but not if you're an average guy. A bit like driving a Ferrari/Porsche if you're a middle-aged paunchy bloke - you're not going to look like a film star (and are masively deluded if you think it makes you more "attracive") - but at least driving a nice car is rewarding on it's own merits. Smoking just makes you smell.

Once you're addicted to nicotine, it's a different game of course. (Although to be honest, I was never addicted to nicotine. I gave up no problem, given the approriate stimulus - I couldn't say the same about genuinely rewarding intoxicant e.g. alcohol).
    Smoking is a sutpid adolescent affectation that unfortuenately traps many into a lifetime of addiction and untimely death. (Not sure many smokers "thought they'd give it a go, and liked it" in their 30's - although there will be some late-onset idiots/midlife crisis types).

I do sort of miss it though!

Craftsman
    What is it with some people who only offer criticism? If you're not interested by a thread then don't read it!

Initially I thought the topic a little odd. But in truth this thread has actually taught me something, I had no idea that watches had been made to suit them being worn in this way.

Craftsman
    Smoking like that makes it less obvious when you are smoking a joint.

I assume wearing on the inside can be to prevent damage, I see a few people on industrial sites wear them that way. Current client has advised all their guys to use rubber straps and remove rings due to a recent degloving incident, that word makes me shudder!

Wearing watch inside of wrist or outside

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    The guys I see wearing the watch inside tend to be in their 60's up and most seem to be ex military so there may have been a reason we are forgetting. My dad and a couple of my uncles on my mums side wore their watches that way and they were all WW2 veterans, sadly I never thought to ask whilst they were alive. They all worked in engineering too so that could be a reason there.
    My father wore his on the inside and I did in my teens and twenties because he did. He was a WW2 RAF WOpAG. From what I remember it was something about not bashing the crystal in the cramped turret when firing a machine gun or seeing the face and time when twiddling knobs on wireless and radar sets. Maybe it was just RAF style like wearing your side cap at a rakish angle.

Then again, I'm not sure watches were that widely worn. In the crew pictures I have maybe 1 or 2 of say 8 or 9 seems to be wearing a watch and not military ones.

Last edited by BillyCasper; 7th September 2016 at 20:17.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Inside when driving as that's how it was designed to be worn. Every other watch outside as that's how they were designed and it makes sense; )

I think I'm on nato hole 5 but what's the up/down numbering convention?
    Here is the advert.

And another advert:

Master
    ^^^^^ nice, thanks. I love the quirkiness of it and am increasingly enjoying the smaller size of vintage watches. It's super light too compared to my modern watches.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think in certain situations like trying to avoid damage to crystal wearing it on the inside may make sense. I have never done so and would probably prefer not to wear a watch if I was worried about scratching/ damaging.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I think in certain situations like trying to avoid damage to crystal wearing it on the inside may make sense. I have never done so and would probably prefer not to wear a watch if I was worried about scratching/ damaging.
    This is the reason they started using crystal guards in the trenches in WW1.
    Here are some.

Banned
    If you are cradling a rifle or have to present arms a watch on the inside is going to get damaged.

most who wear on the inside is just to be different,except the omega driver and the like.

Master

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Depends how I'm feeling really..

Sometimes inside the wrist -

Sometimes inside the outside -

Sometimes inside on my right ankle -

But tonight I'm wearing it on a kebab skewer, it's really handy for letting others know the time -

Sent from my X17_S using Tapatalk
    Yay!!! Reply of the week!!!:

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post

SGR
    This is how I hold my cigarettes. Like a man.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    So, which way do you wear your watch? Inside of your wrist or ouside. For a long time i wore mine inside my wrist - so if I was holding a drink and someone asked me the time, they got covwred in beer, not me. These days with more expensive pieces I wear outside side, to protect the crystal.

How do you wear yours? Appropriate answers please.
    This should give you some answers.
    http://blog.michelherbelin.co.uk/wha...of-your-wrist/