closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 16610 sub - datejust +£1k swap

16610 sub - datejust +£1k swap

I just bought a BLNR and my current daily wearer is my sub (it's literally never off my wrist) which I wear with a business suit or jeans.
    When I got my sub I sold my navitimer as I just never wore it and constantly opted to give my sub the writs time.

It's occurred to me that when my BLNR arrives that my sub won't get the wrist time any more as it just ain't different enough (add in that I've got a ceramic bezel Daytona coming in December too)

A friend of mine has this
    Which he no longer wears due to now owning a day date and he has proposed a swap plus £1k.......
    I know that ultimately it all comes down to personal choice but am I right to try and diversify my watches or should I hold the sub (am I likely to see enough difference to the BLNR to still wear it) bearing in mind that the sub will better hold its value

The sub is 2007 the DJ is 2008 both with full papers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by leahorsfall; 22nd December 2016 at 00:52.

Craftsman
    Keep the sub and see if the BLNR stays as the daily wearer.
    I know id rather have a Sub than a DJ in the box a home

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nope. Nope nope nope.

2 tone DJ's of that age on a good private day hover around the 1.7-2.4k mark depending on condition (service history, stretch to the jubilee etc) They're not easy to sell on either as 2 tone isn't as popular.

16610's range from say around 3.7-4.1 ish depending on condition and sports models tend to hold value better.

*I may be slightly out on exact figures but regardless, a 2t dj + 1k for a sub date is not a sensible trade.

Just keep the sub. On the wrist it the differences between that and the blnr WILL be noticeable.

It wouldn't be a swap I'd make, I think a non-ceramic sub can easily exist in a collection with a BLNR and if you've worn the sub for so long wouldn't you miss it ?

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Nope. Nope nope nope.

2 tone DJ's of that age on a good private day hover around the 1.7-2.4k mark depending on condition (service history, stretch to the jubilee etc) They're not easy to sell on either as 2 tone isn't as popular.

16610's range from say around 3.7-4.1 ish depending on condition and sports models tend to hold value better.

*I may be slightly out on exact figures but regardless, a 2t dj + 1k for a sub date is not a sensible trade.

Just keep the sub. On the wrist it the differences between that and the blnr WILL be noticeable.
    Not disagreeing with you, am just playing devils advocate to get the best advice,
    Looked at an almost identical 2008 model on watchfinder which is over 5 k and a few more that are over 4......maybe you're out a bit.....or maybe they are.....

I do love my sub

Incidentally, my sub was 4750 a year ago

I know that watchfinder isn't the best gage of value but when a similar age same model sub is 5k then I thought it might be a good pointer as to changeover value

Last edited by leahorsfall; 5th September 2016 at 13:33.

Craftsman
    Personally I would keep the Sub, it's always going to be more desirable than a DJ and if needs be in the future it will hold its value in comparison.

IMO wait until the BLNR comes and see what you think but a sub for a DJ is not something I would really consider.

Quote Originally Posted by leahorsfall View Post
    Not disagreeing with you, am just playing devils advocate to get the best advice,
    Looked at an almost identical 2008 model on watchfinder which is over 5 k and a few more that are over 4......maybe you're out a bit.....or maybe they are.....

I do love my sub

Incidentally, my sub was 4750 a year ago

I know that watchfinder isn't the best gage of value but when a similar age same model sub is 5k then I thought it might be a good pointer as to changeover value

Ask watch finder what they would give you if you sell a TT DJ to them. That might give you an idea.

I'd keep the Sub for a while to see how you get on with the BLNR.

It would certainly be more difficult to sell the DJ on here but to the general public the TT DJ is THE Rolex to have.

I don't think you'd have any shortage of buyers from the trade and I think the DJ plus £1k is probably fair.

Based on new RRPs though, I'd check he doesn't want the £1k plus your watch for his DJ.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    They are dealers.
    Their prices will invariably be higher than private sales and are absolutely not representative of what you'd achieve as a seller.
    Look at their sea dweller 16600 prices, for example.
    Full set models in excellent condition float on SC for 4250.. Wf are asking up to 8500.
    16610's they're ranging from 4.8 for no b/p up to 7.5k for 2010 completes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    It would certainly be more difficult to sell the DJ on here but to the general public the TT DJ is THE Rolex to have.

I don't think you'd have any shortage of buyers from the trade and I think the DJ plus £1k is probably fair.

Based on new RRPs though, I'd check he doesn't want the £1k plus your watch for his DJ.
    No it's DEFINATELY 1k + DJ FOR SUB

Watchfinder DJ full sets seem to be over the top but then again they all do.......I think they might've increased their prices because of the weakened pound......bit rich bearing in mind Rolex haven't

Master
    Not a swap I'd entertain simply because I asked myself which would be easier to convert into maximum cash and the Sub wins for me all day (I'd also never wear a TT DJ!).
    Last edited by deepreddave; 6th September 2016 at 07:29.

Apprentice
    When you're used to a sub (& soon the BLNR) it's hard to imagine a TT DJ getting much wrist time. Or if you are keen on the DJ maybe push back on price a little because as others have said, they don't tend to hold value too well.

Apprentice
    I found myself in a similar situation recently. Had a sub and a BLNR and found myself always wearing the BLNR. I wanted a more dressy watch so sold the sub to a friend who paid me just under RRP and then bought that exact DJ at auction. I am happy with what i have now although I do miss the classical nature of the sub and think my next purchase will be something with a similar look to it like a Deepsea.

Can never go wrong with a sub but I would see how you get on with both that and the BLNR. You could probably get a better deal than what's is being offered too if you did decide to change things up.

Definitely keep the Sub, much more versatile watch and far more desirable. The DJ really is the ugly step child of the Rolex range, and a Ginger step child at that.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Definitely keep the Sub, much more versatile watch and far more desirable. The DJ really is the ugly step child of the Rolex range, and a Ginger step child at that.
    Haha that is one way to put it! I know where you're coming from but the DJ does have a time and a place.

Quote Originally Posted by RolexGuyUK View Post
    Haha that is one way to put it! I know where you're coming from but the DJ does have a time and a place.
    I can't think of one time or place I'd rather wear a DJ than a Sub, maybe my own funeral ?

Apprentice
    Would save me some money if I felt the same!

Yeah, think I'll keep my sub and if I don't wear it much I'll box it

The DJ really is the ugly step child of the Rolex range, and a Ginger step child at that.
    That made me laugh

With a BLNR and a ceramic Daytona how much wear is this DJ going to get if any ?

Sell the sub for cash or better still just keep it in the safe - and this comes from someone who actually likes that DJ

I think that a fairer exchange would be the DJ plus £2k

Clearly this is a very rough estimation for each watch - I reckon a 16610 with full set is worth somewhere between £3.6 and £4k and a Two Tone DJ somewhere between £1.7k to £2k

Subs can be flipped in a day but Two Tone Datejusts take a bit more shifting - it it were an all steel you'd find it easier to flip if you didn't like it.

By the way I love TT DJs

Grand Master
    No! A very blinkered view...... And the funeral comment is in bad taste, it does you no credit.

The DJ is the quintessential Rolex and it's the best seller. It may be hard to grasp, but there are watch enthusiasts who don't prefer dive/ sports watches.......... I'm one of them. Despite owning a few sports/ divers my preference is for dress/ normal watches. There's more to the watch world than rugged so-called sports watches......... and you're allowed to own examples of the different genres. To dismiss the DJ in this manner is a bit crass to say the least.

As for the OP's proposed deal?.......... Depends on the condition of the DJ. Lots are in poor condition with stretched bracelets and worn bezels which have lost sharpness. However, if the DJ's a really nice one the deal isn't far away from being fair. Personally, the gold dial isn't my favourite and I'd be happier with a silver or white dial, they work far better IMO.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 5th September 2016 at 17:25.

Journeyman
    Don't get rid of your sub!! You'll regret it!! Owned mine for 21 years and love it, got my exp2 in 2014 still wear the sub too. Please don't sell it you'll be gutted, I know I would be. Good luck.

Banned
    No, no, no, no....

Craftsman
    I would not do it. The Sub is timeless classic, highly popular, and as the others said can be sold easily if and when needed.

As about the two tone Datejust..., let's say it may have been cool in 80s, but not anymore.

Also you say you wear SS watches mainly, the Datejust will just sit and collect dust.

Yeah, think I'll keep my sub and if I don't wear it much I'll box it

In my humble opinion.........the right decision.

DJ in two tone (on jubilee) is a coffin dodgers piece.

Stay strong.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    No! A very blinkered view...... And the funeral comment is in bad taste, it does you no credit.

The DJ is the quintessential Rolex and it's the best seller. It may be hard to grasp, but there are watch enthusiasts who don't prefer dive/ sports watches.......... I'm one of them. Despite owning a few sports/ divers my preference is for dress/ normal watches. There's more to the watch world than rugged so-called sports watches......... and you're allowed to own examples of the different genres. To dismiss the DJ in this manner is a bit crass to say the least.

As for the OP's proposed deal?.......... Depends on the condition of the DJ. Lots are in poor condition with stretched bracelets and worn bezels which have lost sharpness. However, if the DJ's a really nice one the deal isn't far away from being fair. Personally, the gold dial isn't my favourite and I'd be happier with a silver or white dial, they work far better IMO.

Paul
    I'll wear what I like to my own funeral thanks, I think the DJ is just plain ugly and dated. It has nothing to do with preferring sports watches, I like dress watches too, just nice tasteful ones.

Journeyman
    I don't appreciate the ginger comment to be honest. Who are you to make that comment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I'd keep the sub OP. The BLNR and Sub are different enough to keep alongside each other.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    Very well said Paul, each to their own with Rolex preference. I have Sub and Exp2 so I love my sports watches however was considering a DJ when the 41mm comes out in stainless steel. If I can gather the funds of course!

The member who is in your words blinkered is a bit careless to say the least, my good lady didn't appreciate his anti ginger comment at all and neither did I even though I'm brown with a few greys....

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe this will cheer you up a bit then, my business partner is ginger, he enjoys a good ginger joke but he does have a sense of humour of course. No offence intended in my previous comment

Journeyman
    My partner has a great sense of humour too she has had the usual ginger picking on since she was young. Just looked a bit insensitive to those you don't know. I'm not trying to be a knob here so you're cool. Laughed at the suntan pic v funny! All the best my friend

Master
    I think your friend might be being a bit cheeky - the Sub's worth at least 2k cash in addition to the TT DJ.

Also, IMHO TT DJ's are strictly for the over-60s ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 329gav View Post
    The member who is in your words blinkered is a bit careless to say the least, my good lady didn't appreciate his anti ginger comment at all and neither did I even though I'm brown with a few greys....

Do you read the forums together or did you convey the anti-ginger comment so she could feel better ?

Craftsman
    Suppose every one is entitled to their opinion, but no way on this earth would the DJ be classified as the ugly step child of the Rolex range.

Obviously, your statement is your opinion, but there are many millions of DJ owners throughout the world who would disagree, myself included.

I don't do much in the way of diving, so don't really take to divers watches, so my opinion would be the exact opposite of yours.

The DJ is a beautiful watch, of that there is no doubt.

DateJusts are lovely things. I like them vintage and think that they look phenomenal on leather. It tones them down a bit to make them less blingy.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Do you read the forums together or did you convey the anti-ginger comment so she could feel better ?
    Haha passed it on mate!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    DateJusts are lovely things. I like them vintage and think that they look phenomenal on leather. It tones them down a bit to make them less blingy.
    I was v. fortunate to buy a 1986 bimetal DJ a few years ago. What makes this one special is the fact that it had only been worn a few times and it's literally like brand new. Got it for a great price too! With the acrylic crystal and open 6 date wheel it has the vintage appeal, but it's in mint condition. The old ones are more tactile than the latest versions, and the slimmer lugs with the grained finish look far more 'Rolex' than the post 2006 models. However, I don't like the DJ on a strap, it's designed to go on the original bracelet and for me that's the best look.

Mine doesn't get much wear, but it's a super watch to own. As for the ageist comments, I don't really see why this should be such a negative issue. In the early 90s, when I was in my 30s, I was wearing/collecting watches from the 40s-60s, the fact that older folks wore them just wasn't an issue to me. I find it hard to grasp this, why do people have to pigeonhole watches in this way? To me, a watch is either appealing or it isn't, regardless of the era in which it was most popular or whether it meets the latest definition of 'cool' . Maybe I'm the total antithesis of a fashionista......if so I'm perfectly OK with that.

As for the DJ, I also own a 2002 16234 that I'd decided to sell. I'm now having second thoughts, I think I'll refinish the case and refit the white dial it originally came with. By my definition of 'cool', the DJ hits the spot and I'm not desperate for the money out of it.......think I'll wear it tomorrow and have a wry smile every time I look at it.

In the unlikely event of me falling into a deep sea, and the watch leaking at 100metres depth, I'll regret that decision and wish I'd worn a diver.......it's a risk worth taking

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 6th September 2016 at 21:54.

^
    I don't know much about fashion, but I'd say that the Datejust has more style than most of what I see on forums.

I'm not sure whether I'd option for the gold dial with two-tone, though. Also, gold and steel is susceptible to wear if neglected:

image credit: watchmakingblog.com

I prefer all-steel versions, as they're more durable and more versatile. I think they're also one of the best deals going for a no-excuses watch:

image credit: uhrenbilder

In this case, I wouldn't make the swap, but a nice Datejust is a quality watch. And as I'm sure you know, the 100 m rating on a DJ is a lot more trustworthy than most others' 300+.
    Last edited by Belligero; 6th September 2016 at 22:05.

Decided to hang onto my sub......at least until I get my Daytona

Love my GMT though!

Must say that the ceramic bezel is a huge enhancement on the aluminium bezel (would say improvement except there was nothing wrong with Ali

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very wise decision (as advised by 99.9% on here).

If your into Sporty Rolex you could use it to trade for something different then the GMT / Sub style. Eg Explorer / Explorer II.

Wise choice and when your Daytona arrives you'll be able to shift that Sub far easier than the DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Very wise decision (as advised by 99.9% on here).

If your into Sporty Rolex you could use it to trade for something different then the GMT / Sub style. Eg Explorer / Explorer II.
    Not a bad shout actually hmmmm

Apprentice

Great choice, the BLNR bezel is impressive!