closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wearing watch in left or right hand

Apprentice

Wearing watch in left or right hand

Hi guys. I have always wanted to know if there is a logic behind wearing a watch in either hand? Do people with luxury watches tend to wear it on the right? Probably because it showcases the watch more.

Is it that only pilots wear it on the right? Or is it just a case of personal preferred. Replies appreciated. Thanks.

Journeyman
    I guess it comes down to personal preference. I have always worn mine on the left hand, however, I feel the right wrist showcases the watch more (if you are a righty)

Left arm is far more common, hence why they put the crown on the right hand side of the watch usually.

Master
    Blog Entries
    personally i like mine on my wrist

Master
    Right for me, being right handed I feel I have more control of that particular limb!

Craftsman
    Left hand for me. Crown / pushers are easier to access.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Right handed, so wear on left. The dominant hand is the one that (assuming you do things) is liable to get in harms way.

Grand Master
    Majority of people are right-handed, so convention has always been to wear the watch on the left. The position of the crown is on the right of the watch which allows the watch to be wound whilst being worn using the right hand. Also, as the right-hander does most tasks with the right hand, having the watch on that hand could be a nuisance and the watch is far more likely to get in the way. That's the logic behind it, nothing to do with 'showcasing' the watch etc.

There's also the issue of positional variation; the crown down position has a big effect on overall rate in everyday wear because that's the position the watch is in when the wearer is standing or walking. Obviously that changes if the watch is worn on the other wrist, so the overall performance of the watch can vary depending on which wrist it's worn on. The bigger the positional variation the more likely this is, but on a high grade movement with small variations it'll make very little (if any) difference.

In the past, some watches were made with the crown at the left to suit wearing on the right hand. These are fairly rare.

For me, as a right-hander I wear the watch on the left wrist and always have done.

Paul

Craftsman
    I'm right handed but always wear it on the left, no real reason why.. probably just down to habit from putting it on every day.

Yes, wearing it on your dominant hand will make it more exposed to damages, and also more obtrusive. Guess it also makes more sense wearing it on your other arm if you want to control any complication.

For some odd reason watched the Wright Stuff on TV this morning.Wearing what looked like an Omega on his right wrist,maybe his preference,maybe to get it on-screen.

Have tried wearing on the right wrist when ive had a tattoo session on my left, right wrist is bigger so i have to adjust strap or bracelet, and it just feels awkward and in the way really. My missus is left handed so wears hers on the right wrist, says exactly the same when she trys it on her left.

Quote Originally Posted by owais01 View Post
    I guess it comes down to personal preference. I have always worn mine on the left hand, however, I feel the right wrist showcases the watch more (if you are a righty)
    Have definitely seen this. Generally speaking, those that love to "show off" their pieces wear them on their dominant side seeing as they're more likely to be the focus of attention.

I have always worn my watch on my right wrist (am right handed) from my first Timex when I was about 6, have no idea why but it certainly wasnt to show case my Timex.
    Have tried wearing on the left but just doesnt feel right.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Majority of people are right-handed, so convention has always been to wear the watch on the left. The position of the crown is on the right of the watch which allows the watch to be wound whilst being worn using the right hand. Also, as the right-hander does most tasks with the right hand, having the watch on that hand could be a nuisance and the watch is far more likely to get in the way. That's the logic behind it, nothing to do with 'showcasing' the watch etc.

There's also the issue of positional variation; the crown down position has a big effect on overall rate in everyday wear because that's the position the watch is in when the wearer is standing or walking. Obviously that changes if the watch is worn on the other wrist, so the overall performance of the watch can vary depending on which wrist it's worn on. The bigger the positional variation the more likely this is, but on a high grade movement with small variations it'll make very little (if any) difference.

In the past, some watches were made with the crown at the left to suit wearing on the right hand. These are fairly rare.

For me, as a right-hander I wear the watch on the left wrist and always have done.

Paul
    Absolutely right.

All I can add is that during the 1st WW when wristwatches were born, the strap loops were put through the 12 o clock bow and riflemen preferred to keep their trigger arm, usually the right, free.

Also, timing position six is crown up. Many Companies avoid timing in this position as it is the most frictional.
    A watch is rarely crown up on the left hand.

Brendan.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Paul
    +1

The only think to add is that a lot of people perform a lot of activities like writing etc with their dominant hand. So if they want to check the time while doing so they can without having to stop whatever it is they are doing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right on right here, changed from convention (which is to wear it on the non-dominant side) when I was 8 years old, and realised it was easier to read the time while writing etc.

I don't buy the idea that wearing on the non-dominant side will protect the watch.

First, in terms of accidental damage: the non-dominant side is by definition less dexterous, therefore more likely to get into harm (doorframes, I've read on here!) and less responsive in getting out of impending harm.

Second, in terms of work damage: the dominant side will typically hold a tool, while the non-dominant side will typically hold a workpiece. The non-dominant side is therefore more likely to be in harm's way in such a situation.

YMMV :)

Left handed, with watch on left wrist also.

I have always been a bit weird

Mark

I guess it makes sense if you're a lefty to have wear it on your right.

I always find it a little odd seeing a watch on somebodies right wrist.

Right handed wear on right wrist.

For me having the crown on the arm side is far more comfortable - I have always wound or adjusted a watch when it is in my hand before I put it on do the need to do it in situ never comes up.

I'm ambidextrous, so I wear it on both. Bit like hand cuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Right handed, so wear on left. The dominant hand is the one that (assuming you do things) is liable to get in harms way.

Yep that's my line of thinking too .

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    personally i like mine on my wrist
    yes, I too prefer it on my hand rather than in it ;)

to stay on topic: im righty and wear on my left hand. Feels weird on my right for some reason.

I am right handed and wear my watches on my left wrist. I do have a Destro (left handed) Panerai that is designed to be worn on the right wrist as the crown is on the 9 O'Clock side but its always still worn on the left wrist and the crown guard doesn't dig into the back of my wrist at all ;-)

Master
    I'm ambidextrous and wear my watch on right wrist. Crown up is so much more comfortable that crown digging into your hand.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Left handed, watch on right wrist. Never use the crown when wearing a watch. A chronograph is slightly awkward but not un-usable so.

i always thought it was simply the non-dominant side. tried to wear on right once but it turns out i'm utterly cackhanded at doing up a watch strap with my left hand?

Craftsman
    I wear my watches on the left hand, I have tried on the right, but it feels awkward. I am right handed.

My wife wears the watch on the right hand and she is left handed. She says wearing on the left feels weird.

Good heavens, is it really that time of year again?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Good heavens, is it really that time of year again?

This is dire.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    Left handed, with watch on left wrist also.

I have always been a bit weird

Mark
    Seems the natural thing for me. You do most things with your left hand so put the watch in the place you naturally go to.

That said I've been wearing watches for over 40 years so probably just got used to it by now.

I always find the sight of a watch on the right wrist jars with me but not as much as people who wear them right up on the wrist joint so the crown digs in the back of their hands, that must just be plain uncomfortable 😊

M

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Both my wife and I are right handed but she wears her watch on her right wrist and me on my left.

Master
    I am right handed and used to wearmy watch on my right wrist just as my dad did. However as I came into my teens and played ball games, etc. I switched to wearing it on my left wrist aand have worn it there ever since.

Just to add a bit of variety

I wear this in my left trouser pocket most work days

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Just to add a bit of variety

I wear this in my left trouser pocket most work days

A gentleman should dress to the left

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    A gentleman should dress to the left
    Absolutely

Fortunately, pictures demonstrating this point arent allowed any more

Another caggie :- left wrist left handed.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Whatever makes you happy :) I always used to wear on my right when young, for dexterity reasons given (same reason I eat with fork in right hand), however these days I wear on the left as I do not want to scratch up my surface pro while inking, something that wasn't an issue when I was a lad.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Seems the natural thing for me. You do most things with your left hand so put the watch in the place you naturally go to.

That said I've been wearing watches for over 40 years so probably just got used to it by now.

I always find the sight of a watch on the right wrist jars with me but not as much as people who wear them right up on the wrist joint so the crown digs in the back of their hands, that must just be plain uncomfortable 

M

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    For me - left handed and wear on left wrist for the reason you indicate.

As to the wearing a watch on the wrist joint, I always think that is for those who labour under the misapprehension that others may be interested in the watch they are wearing.

Neil

I lost the will to live after the first few posts...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Right on right here, changed from convention (which is to wear it on the non-dominant side) when I was 8 years old, and realised it was easier to read the time while writing etc.

I don't buy the idea that wearing on the non-dominant side will protect the watch.

First, in terms of accidental damage: the non-dominant side is by definition less dexterous, therefore more likely to get into harm (doorframes, I've read on here!) and less responsive in getting out of impending harm.

Second, in terms of work damage: the dominant side will typically hold a tool, while the non-dominant side will typically hold a workpiece. The non-dominant side is therefore more likely to be in harm's way in such a situation.

YMMV :)
    Same here although when cycling or running I wear my watch on the left with the watchface on the inside of my arm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right handed but on right wrist. I always have from my first Casio F300 digital when I was about 8 or 9. I never knew why until about 20 years later when I noticed a family friend who was about 2 or 3 years older than me did the same. I probably copied him when I got my first watch, him being the older kid. Never thought to change and certainly couldn't now.

**** that shit. Here comes Mongo! ....if only.

Master
    It depends. If you are right handed then generally speaking the watch is worn on the left wrist as its the non dominant hand and therefore is less likely to get damaged. However if you are right handed and single and the watch is auto then you should wear it on the right wrist.

Master
    If you wear on the right and are right handed, try looking at the watch to tell the time when you're on the blower!!!