closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nespresso Capsules

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    That's interesting, if I've understood correctly. You make an americano comprising two lungo shots from different variety pods?
    You can make them with any amount. I can go from 4 lungos (not really an americano anymore!) down to two espresso (normale) shots with water added, or anything in between depending on how strong I want it. If I'm making a half-caf version I'll use one decaf lungo plus usually an espresso of one of the blends I mentioned earlier, again depending on what strength and flavour I happen to feel like at the time.

I wouldn't normally mix the blends except to get a half caffeine version. You could if you wanted to I suppose, but you might get some odd combinations. Which is exactly the problem with the newer decaf blends: they don't seem to be as neutral in flavour as the older, "decaffeinato lungo" as it was called (which is no longer produced), so they tend to mask the flavour of whatever nicer capsule you mix it with.

Also, since there was some talk earlier about running two extractions through the same pod, that's not something I ever do even when making an espresso with multiple shots of the same type. To find out what the second extraction tastes like, just make two espressos in separate cups from the same pod. The second one won't be very nice. Hence, not something I'd want to mix into my americano, even if it's less noticeable that way. I don't reuse tea bags either :)

I've been using Nespresso for some time and, in common with some others, I:

1. To start with always run an expresso measure through the machine (without a pod) into the cup to warm the cup and ensure the pipes are clean;
    2. Always run an expresso measure through the machine (without a pod) after I've finished making coffee to clean the pipes;
    3. Do run two lungo extractions through the same pod to make an Americano (one that's not too strong)....and I think it works pretty well;
    4. Regularly make a strong Americano using two lungo extractions from two different pods, usually a strong one and a decaf one.

As you might gather, I'm not a coffee aficionado but I do like it to have plenty of taste and Nespresso has never let me down.

I've just read in t'paper that Starbucks will start selling Nespresso compatible pods next week. Are these available in the UK? If so, any good?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I've just read in t'paper that Starbucks will start selling Nespresso compatible pods next week. Are these available in the UK? If so, any good?
    Seeing how Costa have got a tie in with Tassimo, I guess that would be a smart move for Starbucks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Love the Roma and risretto capsules

Definitely

Master
    Hmm having tried Starbucks coffee and concluding I would rather eat the cardboard cup it comes in than drink the awful coffee I wouldn't get too excited about the Nespresso pods they will do, just buy the proper Nespresso capsules and enjoy the great coffee 😀

Grand Master
    The only problem i ever have with nespresso is that if you mention you have one it attracts every coffee snob within 25 metres, which then means you get into a conversation which is the coffee equivalent of the business card scene in american psycho.

Craftsman

Cool My standing order

delivered monthly 30 each of Capriccio, Volluto and Livanto with one recycling bag that I send back.

Original size capsules brewed 3.7 oz selection.

For me it's ...
    2 Roma capsules in a large cup then milk and 2 sugars.
    Only have half a spoon in tea though

I think I've tried every single third party pod you can get in the UK - some of the cafepod ones are ok and the M&S are pretty good but nothing beats the Nespresso ones.

Interesting to note, they had to launch a different machine for the US.

Speaking of pod machines, I tried a Dolce Gusto - now that was rank.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 11th September 2016 at 21:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    For what reason? That page doesn't say anything about it. It's not unusual at all to make hardware a slightly different colour or give it a different name for different markets. Nestlé don't, afaik, actually make any of the machines themselves, they just licence it to various manufacturers, hence there's more than one machine available.

Master
    Seems their website is offering a standard machine + 150 capsules + a fee frother for £69 which can't be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Seems their website is offering a standard machine + 150 capsules + a fee frother for £69 which can't be bad.
    Good gosh if that is the case then they are now in the reach of the working classes. Where has the exclusivity gone! George will be mortified!

One fears one must move up to Bean to Cup to stay ahead!

Seriously, that is a good offer as the frother is usually around £50 on its own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its machine + frother when you order 150 capsules. Still good offer though.

Alright, since previous "explanations" don't explain it all, it's £69 for the machine (reduced from £139). If you buy one and 150 capsules, you also get a free frother.

The machines are actually £5 cheaper on Amazon right now and should come with a coupon to claim the frother when you buy the 150 capsules. It may be worth double-checking that since the T&Cs specifically says "one of the associated Nespresso retail partners" which Amazon may not be. Seems unlikely there would be a problem though.

Blog Entries
    My delivery of Envivo has dropped and best lingo for me, its a great cup.

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wrote a massive reply here then lost it, which is annoying, but seeing as the thread is still running I'll try and recreate it:

Firstly if you can pop in to a Nespresso shop every now & again, so long as you have your card they will make you a coffee. Always worth asking them what they'd recommend, and on a slow day (so not Picadilly then!) they may make you two, particularly if there's a contrast with the way a single pod is made. It helps if you are holding a bag of caps btw, they tend to be more accomodating! Whatever the latest release is, I had both a latte and espresso shot made by them, quite a difference in flavour (as they were happy to show the difference), which is why taking recommendations from anyone else as to what to buy is a bit difficult- you'll know what you like, and the best way is to try!

Besides, add in water quality, what change you've probably made to the volume of water running through your machine, milk or not, etc, etc....

Anyway, 3rd party pods- don't dismiss them out of hand, but be aware: Nespresso caps are all aluminium, hence they can be recycled, and our Spanish environmental whinger can be ignored. The layer on the lid is thinner, so pressure in the cap = a proper opening, pretty much every time (I can only remember 1 cap failing in the last 6,000). Many 3rd party pods are plastic with a foil lid glued on. Sometimes if the glue os weak or the foil too thikc, the pressure can escape through the glue, and you get water (and grinds) everywhere bar the cup. Annoying.

Cafepod are the worst for this, and tell me they're changing their design because they know it's pants. I had 4 of 10 caps fail from one box. Unimpressed. Their lurid bright packaging (which is unnecessarily large being double-boxed, and money spent on cardboard = less for the beans) is quite offputting, although I find their (alleged) strength 12 Superchargers a nice flavour, as others tend to equate "strong" with "very bitter" if not "near burnt". Quite why I'd spend more on their coffee than original Nespresso pods, I really don't know, so I only buy them on offer.

If you live near a Sainsbury's its well worth seeing what they have on offer, as they tend to have something priced down on rotatation. For £2/ box the Dualits are well worth a try. They also do Taylors, which are not up my street, but might be yours. Their packaging is also cr*p, a box which once opened cannot be closed, and just means you end up putting the non-descript pods somewhere else, then as their pod colour is not the same as box colour, you have no idea which one you're trying as they don't bother to put the name of the product on the pod... Cheap...

Also worth seeing what's on offer is Waitrose, who also tend to have something priced less than full, so is a good chance to try. And if you sign up to MyWaitrose, every time you shop you can have a reasonable machine (bean to cup) coffee FOC.

Fingers crossed this will post this time!

Master
    Costco are selling Caffe Ottavo compatible pods for £22.99 for 120 (19p each) anyone heard of them or tried them? Seem to be selling on Amazon for £34.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    One fears one must move up to Bean to Cup to stay ahead!

Move down to green beans, DIY and you'll always stay ahead on the way to a proper coffee

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Costco are selling Caffe Ottavo compatible pods for £22.99 for 120 (19p each) anyone heard of them or tried them? Seem to be selling on Amazon for £34.
    According to Google, probably best to avoid:

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/ca...vo-inenso.html

Reviews on Amazon are hard to find, but here's a few:

https://www.amazon.ca/Nespresso-Comp...owViewpoints=1

One suspicious-looking good review and two bad ones. Which seems to be the pattern if you search for more across the various Amazon sites. The only one I could find with more positive than negative reviews was here:

https://www.amazon.com/Nespresso-Com...sortBy=helpful

I might give these a try at some point, even though they aren't cheaper than Nespresso pods. The main reason being I'd rather not give Nestle any money, but I like my Nespresso machine too much. Our patent system working in the public interest, as ever.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    The main reason being I'd rather not give Nestle any money,
    Good call

I thought that the medium roast was OK but very much liked the dark roast.

For what reason? That page doesn't say anything about it. It's not unusual at all to make hardware a slightly different colour or give it a different name for different markets. Nestlé don't, afaik, actually make any of the machines themselves, they just licence it to various manufacturers, hence there's more than one machine available.

It's due to cultural differences - in Europe, small cup (expresso) sized pods rule and Nespresso has a massive market share - however it's the reserve in the US, where consumers want big mugs of coffee out of their machines so they had a tiny market share. To counter this they came up with the Vertuline - the pods are entirely different (different names as well - Stormo and stuff) and it uses a different method to make the coffee as well. Another neat touch is that it automatically recognises the pods you put in and changes settings automatic to make the best cup.

Of course the other benefit is that all of these wonderful new processes are under patent and you cannot buy generics for it..
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 17th September 2016 at 12:54.

Another neat touch is that it automatically recognises the pods you put in and changes settings automatic to make the best cup.
    Tassimo has the same function (the pods are barcoded). Of course, people paste the barcode from one type of pod onto another so that they can try different brew strengths.

Ah, that's interesting. Good point about Americans liking their big cups of coffee. For some reason reminds me of a joke from Talladega Nights.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Of course the other benefit is that all of these wonderful new processes are under patent and you cannot buy generics for it..
    Nestle have a business model where they can afford whatever technology they choose, because of ginormous margins. They’re selling their Ethiopian coffee at £53.23 per kilo yet buy it cheaper than anyone else.

Doug, Collona and Smalls have some of the best Baristas in Europe (and train plenty from around the world too), their coffee shop in Bath is fantastic, they have started to experiment with capsules, so far they havent started selling them but have a mailing list that you can sign up to for when they are ready to ship,

http://colonnaandsmalls.wordpress.com/

Keith

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by huytonman View Post
    Doug, Collona and Smalls have some of the best Baristas in Europe (and train plenty from around the world too), their coffee shop in Bath is fantastic, they have started to experiment with capsules, so far they havent started selling them but have a mailing list that you can sign up to for when they are ready to ship,

http://colonnaandsmalls.wordpress.com/

Keith
    Ah, the coffee equivalent of OEM Nato straps....

Blog Entries
    I have used the Vergnano capsules in the past, excellent quality for my office nespresso machine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vergnano-Cr.../dp/B00B1GHKDM

When I go back to Florence I get the Piansa coffee capsules, also for the nespresso in the office, perhaps the best I have used.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    When I go back to Florence I get the Piansa coffee capsules, also for the nespresso in the office, perhaps the best I have used.
    Oh man.... you are beyond saving.

Florence; art, bella ragazza, historic cafes with espress made with the best coffee machines Marzocco from real real beans ground on demand.... and you buy plastic pods.

Ah well, save yourself 5 minutes, sponsor Nestle, add to the garbage mountain.
    The triumph of marketing expensive as-coffee through as-Clooney.

Blog Entries
    Actually when I go to my hometown I do not buy just plastic pods and never said I do not entartain other pleasurable activities. Two weeks ago we had a 120 friends party in the countryside just outside Siena, and coffee pods were not discussed in the night.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Actually when I go to my hometown I do not buy just plastic pods and never said I do not entartain other pleasurable activities.

You did choose the mention Florence and taking plastic capsules home.

It is the home of Marzocco, of handmade top notch espresso machines.

Blog Entries
    The coffee I drink at home in UK and at home in Italy is not Nespresso , so I do not know what you are talking about. I have nothing to learn from you on coffee.

The coffee I drink in my office, where I have colleagues, visitors and students coming, it is a Nespresso because it is a neat, no dirt, solution for a dry area, far better than vending machine. And for this I buy the best pods I can, in UK and when I am back home.

What you think on my decisions is irrelevant. The OP was asking for good sources for coffee pods, not judgments or coffee-jihaddists comments.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The OP was asking for good sources for coffee pods, not judgments or coffee-jihaddists comments.

And Florence is a good source for the OP for coffee pods you say. Ah, ok.

The coffee I drink in my office, where I have colleagues, visitors and students coming, it is a Nespresso because it is a neat, no dirt, solution for a dry area, far better than vending machine. And for this I buy the best pods I can, in UK and when I am back home.
    Same here - I have one in the office because it's simply the quickest and best solution for my needs.

My colleague recently bought a load of Cafédirect Colombian Rise capsules for the office Nespresso machine because he's a bit of a cheapskate. False economy, now we'll have to save them for visitors that we don't like as they are horribly insipid (the coffee and also some of the visitors). We'll keep the Envivio Lungo that arrived last week to ourselves.

Journeyman
    I've tried a few other 3rd party capsules but as everyone else is saying I keep going back to George Clooneys' own. Bukela (I think) is my favourite this week.

Throw the Nespresso in the bin.........

Get yourself a Bean-Cup coffeemaker (Gaggia, Seka, DeLonghi etc) - and experiment with beans to suit your taste.

Honestly - on a site where people think nothing about spending £5k on watches (and several of them) - you need to take coffee more seriously.

I bought a Gaggia Synchrony digital 12yrs ago for £500. It's still going strong, and a lot cheaper in the long run than shitty nespresso capsules.

Al

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Throw the Nespresso in the bin.........

Get yourself a Bean-Cup coffeemaker (Gaggia, Seka, DeLonghi etc) - and experiment with beans to suit your taste.

Honestly - on a site where people think nothing about spending £5k on watches (and several of them) - you need to take coffee more seriously.

I bought a Gaggia Synchrony digital 12yrs ago for £500. It's still going strong, and a lot cheaper in the long run than shitty nespresso capsules.

Al

Ssshhhht; no coffee jihadism ;-)

However right you may be concerning the ludicrous discussion about cost/quality/eco-footprint et al. It is about what as-coffee in a capsule from a machine as-Clooney.

p.s do you think the red letters Nespresso machines will become collectables?

Would I prefer that? Probably. Do I have the time and space for that? No. Nespresso isn't perfect, but it's fine given those constraints.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Would I prefer that? Probably. Do I have the time and space for that? No. Nespresso isn't perfect, but it's fine given those constraints.
    And thus our constrained, enslaved life flies past with eroding quality.

Off course you have the time and space.
    All you need do is decide you have; that you are worth a proper cup of coffee and not a convenient surrogate.
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 22nd September 2016 at 07:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post

All you need do is decide you have; that you are worth a proper cup of coffee and not a convenient surrogate.
    If anyone is thinking about a "proper" espresso machine - go for a fully automatic "Bean to cup" one. Don't be wowed by the manual ones which take up less counter-space. Within 6 months - it will be taking up space in a cupboard in the utility room (or garage).

View it like (in Scotland) - hiring a kilt for a wedding, hiring one for another wedding, and by the time you have hired a kilt three times - you decide to buy one to save money in the future. You should have bought one at the start.

Al :)

Like I said, I don't. My flat is quite small and it takes considerable effort to get everything to fit. Every decision is a trade-off. There is such a thing as dininishing returns. A better coffee would be marginally better, but it would not improve my quality of life. Not having to think about cleaning or spend time messing around with loose coffee does. If you enjoy making coffee that's fine, but I have other things I enjoy doing more and Nespresso still makes a pretty good espresso.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    and Nespresso still makes a pretty good espresso.
    and creates an eco problem.
    Not your priority yet everyone's problem.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If anyone is thinking about a "proper" espresso machine - go for a fully automatic "Bean to cup" one. Don't be wowed by the manual ones which take up less counter-space.
    My manual set ups take up more space than a press-button-does-all and it is WAY more messy too :-)
    Some afficionados will claim it makes a better shot but that is mostly preference I suspect.
    I personally enjoy the hands on process; being a variable in pulling my shot. A bit like a manual wind watch.

Back on topic, sort of, the 'bean to cup' is a real coffee press button convenience alternative to the Nespresso without the eco-disaster.
    As was pointed out already it is not more expensive either.
    Space is an odd argument when one realizes how much space the capsules take up either packaged or in the bin. Depending on how one manages the refuse, the latter is also a shot at the convenience argument.
    It all boils down to the better marketing of consumerism by Nestle.

and creates an eco problem.
    Well, unlike most of the clones they are fully recyclable, so not as much of as disaster as you make out. I also pointed out an alternative source of capsules earlier, made by a company founded by the former president of Nespresso, which are fully biodegradable. I haven't tried them yet, but plan to. The ecological argument isn't the main reason I'd rather not give any money to Nestle, but it does make a slight difference.

Regardless, this kind of "think of the children" argument about ecological issues has very little sway over me, because I am well aware of the relative impact of different sources and realise that my net contribution to the problem is too negligible to worry about. And I do mean that in the recognition that everyone might as well think the same way and it changes nothing. If you look into the history of light bulbs especially, you'll see the extent to which the ecological issue is more often than not, simply a form of scapegoat marketing where the supposedly "eco-friendly" alternative is actually just a way to yield greater profits and less environmentally friendly into the bargain. The UK/EU laws banning certain types of lightbulb is so misguided it would be hilarious if it didn't have serious consequences.

Aluminium capsules aren't ideal, but they are reasonably efficient if recycled and do not concern me at all in the context of the global production of CO2, which is the real problem. If you are really concerned about your own environmental impact, you should be drinking instant coffee.

What bean to cup machine would be recommended to replace an Nespresso?

Journeyman
    I would suggest buying the best you can afford - the cheaper ones tend to be less versatile and produce an inferior coffee.
    My current machine is a Siemens EQ7 (>4 yrs old) and has proved to be efficient & reliable.
    Jura & Saeco models are well thought of.
    Like any other costly purchase, research prior to parting with money usually pays dividends....

I'm so pleased with my Gaggia (cost £500, 13 yrs ago - and one repair costing £130 in that time) - and still going strong.

I would recommend what appears to be the equivalent of my (Synchrony Digital) - below (could be a bit of a bargain?)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-Brer...aggia+syncrony

Al

When sitting in my van drinking instant coffee (brand varies) from my Thermos, I had thought I was enjoying just a short refreshment break. Little did I realise that coffee appears to be a lifestyle statement.
    In future I'll stick with tea.