closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nespresso Capsules

Nespresso Capsules

I've just got a new machine and have tried a few third party pods but wondered if anyone has recommendations? I like good strong coffee and have a stove top for the really good stuff but would like some decent pods for ease of use in the week. Happy to go with Nespresso brand if they really are the best. Cheers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I've just got a new machine and have tried a few third party pods but wondered if anyone has recommendations? I like good strong coffee and have a stove top for the really good stuff but would like some decent pods for ease of use in the week. Happy to go with Nespresso brand if they really are the best. Cheers.
    Doug trust me they are really the best and the rest are a poor imitation and for the sake of a few pence per capsule it isn't worth it, and I have tried different ones and Nespresso are the best by a country mile so just get the proper coffee and enjoy it.

^What he said.

DIY - make the coffee as strong as you want

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post

Thats Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Thats Genius

Do you really think so; or did you just write it to increase your postcount?

I've only used Nespresso but my brother uses pods from Lidl or Aldi and reckons they're just as good but cheaper.

Hmmm, I may give this a try! I'm up in London Town tomorrow so will pop into the Nespresso 'boutique'👍🏻

Master
    I use Nespresso pods as they give the best results. I normally switch between the strongest pods. Eg a Kazaar at strength 12. I run a Lungo press through them then top up with hot water to make an Americano.

Well that removes the whole convenience factor of coffee pods!

Might as well go bean to cup

I'm a big fan of the CaféPod ones, their origins series in particular are really, really good.

Journeyman
    At work I mainly use the Lungo pods, Linizio( orange) and Fortissio ( green).

There is also a newer Envivo pod which is decent and has become a breakfast staple.

None are as good a real barista coffee, but given the time to make and the convenience,are light years ahead of all the instant products.

One thing worth mentioning,it's well worth running a measure of water ( without a pod ) through the machine each time before you use it, handy to warm up the cup ( some folks complain that coffee from a Nespresso machine isn't hot enough) but more importantly flushes out any residue from the previous pod.
    Makes for a noticeably better coffee.
    Last edited by M3gt; 8th September 2016 at 21:30.

Quote Originally Posted by M3gt View Post
    At work I mainly use the Lungo pods, Linizio( orange) and Fortissio ( green).

There is also a newer Envivo pod which is decent and has become a breakfast staple.

None are as good a real barista coffee, but given the time to make and the conveniece,are light years ahead of all the instant products.

One thing worth mentioning,it's well worth running a measure of water ( without a pod ) through the machine each time before you use it, handy to warm up the cup ( some folks complain that coffee from a Nespresso machine isn't hot enough) but more importantly flushes out any residue from the previous pod.
    Makes for a noticeably better coffee.
    Thanks, that's s good tip, I haven't been running water through it but will try that too.

recently started using nespresso and worked my way through a selection pack I got off eBay, all were excellent. Tried the cafepod and was disappointed. Currently working my way through a couple of boxes, better than the cafepod but not as good as the "proper" ones. I'll be going back to them, not worth the pennies saved.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I use Nespresso pods as they give the best results. I normally switch between the strongest pods. Eg a Kazaar at strength 12. I run a Lungo press through them then top up with hot water to make an Americano.
    I run a second lungo cycle rather than hot water. It's more convenient than using the kettle.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

+1

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I run a second lungo cycle rather than hot water. It's more convenient than using the kettle.
    Do you not find it gets a bit bitter after the second cycle, or do you use a fresh pod?

CafePod aren't too bad at all but it really is hard to beat the Nespresso ones. If you haven't already, sign up to Club Nespresso via the app as quite often there will be a good deal for first time customers.

Do you not find it gets a bit bitter after the second cycle, or do you use a fresh pod?
    I think he means without the Pod. Just run the water through.

I could be completely wrong though!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post

I don't think it was being put forward as a decent alternative to the Nespresso pods but just a quirky alternative if somebody ran out of pods.
    The coffee temperature thing is a real tightrope.I really dislike when you get coffee thats too hot and scolds your mouth.Our local Waitress does the free coffee thing but its always way too hot to drink.

Journeyman
    I'm biased- I have a top of the range Bean-to-Cup machine.
    I understand that capsule systems are cheaper to buy, but the capsules are dearer than purchasing beans and choice of blends/strength is more limited. That said I think that the Nespresso solution suits many people & provides a pretty decent cup of coffee.
    My concern is that I've read that the used capsules are not easily recyclable/ biodegradable.

Love the Roma and risretto capsules

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I think he means without the Pod. Just run the water through.

I could be completely wrong though!
    Im not sure what the original poster does but I do this, leaving the original pod in situ. I don't notice any increase in bItterness compared to the (stronger) single lungo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've had a Nespresso machine for about 18 months, I've narrowed my favourites down to:

Kazaar or Ristretto for an espresso shot.
    Indriya for a longer drink.

I haven't found a 3rd party pod as good yet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    I understand that capsule systems are cheaper to buy, but the capsules are dearer than purchasing beans and choice of blends/strength is more limited. That said I think that the Nespresso solution suits many people & provides a pretty decent cup of coffee.
    My concern is that I've read that the used capsules are not easily recyclable/ biodegradable.
    The capsules are aluminium and infinitely recyclable. I save mine up and take them back into the store. They provide bags for it. If you order on line they they collect the empties when they deliver. Basically all the mechanism is there for recycling and it is the customers fault if it is not done.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    I've had a Nespresso machine for about 18 months, I've narrowed my favourites down to:

Yeah, pretty much the three i use all the time, in Bristol there's not a nespresso store at cribbs, so should save me having to get 200 or so pods at a time and might allow me to try others a bit cheaper, i.e. only buying a box of 10 rather than have to get it to add up to a multiple of 50.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    The capsules are aluminium and infinitely recyclable. I save mine up and take them back into the store. They provide bags for it. If you order on line they they collect the empties when they deliver. Basically all the mechanism is there for recycling and it is the customers fault if it is not done.
    Thanks for the info, I was obviously mis-informed. I put my coffee grounds into the compost bin along with used tea leaves.
    Can't be doing with tea-bags- IMHO proper tea needs loose tea, a china pot & a few minutes to brew. Dunking a bag into a container of hot(ish) water cannot ever produce a decent cuppa !

Master
    We have tried lots of the other brands, but always gone back to Nespresso, and guess we will be staying there now.

Sounds like the opinion is that Nespresso OEM are hard to beat! I'll pop into the shop on Picadilly tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I just programmed the button to provide an extra length coffee as I drink Americanos.

Master

I love those three with Kazhar being my fave also I really like the purple one and the two new Ltd editions both a 9 strength, I have tried all the other alternatives and in my opinion they are not worth the money as Nespresso are by far the best to buy.

IMHO the best coffee capsules (and I've tried just about all of them) are the Waitrose own brand ones.
    They do 2 different strengths and a decaf type- so only 3 Waitrose variants but they are smooth and lovely - they make the Coffee pod ones taste cheap.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like the opinion is that Nespresso OEM are hard to beat! I'll pop into the shop on Picadilly tomorrow.
    Hang on... I haven't offered my opinion yet!!!

Dualit - the strongest ones...

I get them in bulk from Costco and really enjoy them...

I'm not convinced that Nespresso ones are the be all end all... Good as they are

Master
    Whilst there you can try any number of pods to determine your favourites before buying.

Don't, whatever you do, be tempted to try WayCap. Basically a steel refillable netspresso pod i funded on kickstarter. Total waste of time and now back to the OEM pods.

Cafepod are ok in emergency though.

If your new machine happened to be a Pixie, then you are entitled to a free Aeroccino milk frother if you buy 150 capsules from Nespresso. They will have details in store.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    None are as good a real barista coffee, but
    No buts.
    The Nespresso cups are yet another example of perceived time pressure deflating quality of life.
    For the sake of convenience you forsake a more enjoyable coffee for a mix of questionable stuff tasting like coffee in the process adding a pile of material to the refuse dump. And that is not mentioning the ecological cost of producing the stuff and packaging mountain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    No buts.
    The Nespresso cups are yet another example of perceived time pressure deflating quality of life.
    For the sake of convenience you forsake a more enjoyable coffee for a mix of questionable stuff tasting like coffee in the process adding a pile of material to the refuse dump. And that is not mentioning the ecological cost of producing the stuff and packaging mountain.
    That's a matter of opinion (the taste/deflation of quality of life). Even if you agree the experience and taste of Nespresso is inferior, I would say life is enhanced by having more time for other activities.

Yes, there is something in the ritual of grinding, tamping and obtaining the perfect coffee, but at 0730 when I've got to leave in 2 minutes, the ease of use of Nespresso trumps any ritual and maybe slight taste benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't found a 'compatible' pod that I like. I strongly dislike Cafepod; Taylors are "OK" for espresso.

My favourite genuine pod is Arpeggio - two pods make a lovely double espresso.

Regarding recycling; I thought the problem was that the aluminium pods are coated in plastic, and that makes recycling the aluminium difficult (similar to plastic coated paper cups from Costa etc).

Craftsman
    So are you saying that you can make 2 cups from the original pod, or do you simply flush the machine with the used pod still in place.
    Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
    Thank

Master
    I like the purpe ones mixed with a blue lungo for a decent latte

Master
    I've found most third party ones to be not that great, but I do quite like Sainsbury's Taste The Difference Lungo which conveniently fills the gap when I run out and forget to order.

I've had a Nespresso machine for about eight years, and for much of that time the only option available was the genuine pods, due to Patent issues.

Lately I've been using Dualit pods from Costco (ok, but not as good as Nespresso) and a selection of pods from third-party producers, by far the best of which (in my humble opinion, of course), are Marks and Spencer Columbian, which were on offer at 3 for 2 for a while.

Otherwise, some Cafepod varieties are nice enough, and Waitrose have some, but not all, of these on offer at the moment.

I haven't tried any copies but think the 29-33p per cup is good enough value I reckon.

I have tried most but have settled on Ristretto (Black pods, strength 10) for proper coffee and Intense Decaf (Dark red pods) for a late evening decaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    I have bean to cup machine too but when a bean to cup machine clapped out in my office I replaced it with a Nespresso. Yes the purchase cost was a factor (I drink Americano) so 80 vs a few hundred but in reality I think cost per cup is comprable.

250 gr of beans is about 5.00 at Waitrose which is more than Nespresso per cup.

In fact based on 20 gr coffee beans per cup and a Nespresso costs 30-33p per capsule any beans over 4.00 a bag is more expensive per cup than a Nespresso. I do get bean to cup machines and have one and can set the beans etc. and easily pop out for beans etc. but the cost per cup argument is hard to make.

I think cost per cup is comprable.

250 gr of beans is about 5.00 at Waitrose which is more than Nespresso per cup.

In fact based on 20 gr coffee beans per cup and a Nespresso costs 30-33p per capsule any beans over 4.00 a bag is more expensive per cup than a Nespresso. I do get bean to cup machines and have one and can set the beans etc. and easily pop out for beans etc. but the cost per cup argument is hard to make.
    The Cloony Cyst system is very expensive considering it contains a small dose of commodity grade stale coffee. How much do you think George costs for a worldwide ad campaign? You the drinker are paying handsomely for that. The machines are like inkjet printers for £39.99. Remind me again how much those ink carts cost?

Those capsules contain 5g of coffee and cost more than speciality coffee (£4:50 and up for £250g of beans)

You are paying for marketing, convenience and consistency. Not quality or value for money.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    I like the purpe ones mixed with a blue lungo for a decent latte
    I like the sound of that!!

I have never thought about mixing nespresso capsules together but will try it out tomorrow morning.

Much the same here, although I've had mine a bit longer. I started off ordering one of everything and narrowed my favourites down to Kazaar, Indriya and Volluto (for something a bit more mellow, but with a good, complex flavour).

I quite like the Volluto Decaffeinato as well. It's unfortunate that they discontinued the old no-name decaf varieties because the lungo in particular made a nice neutral base to make a well-flavoured half-caf americano, mixed with pretty much anything else. The newer ones tend to ruin the flavour of whatever you mix them with.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Much the same here, although I've had mine a bit longer. I started off ordering one of everything and narrowed my favourites down to Kazaar, Indriya and Volluto (for something a bit more mellow, but with a good, complex flavour).

I quite like the Volluto Decaffeinato as well. It's unfortunate that they discontinued the old no-name decaf varieties because the lungo in particular made a nice neutral base to make a well-flavoured half-caf americano, mixed with pretty much anything else. The newer ones tend to ruin the flavour of whatever you mix them with.
    That's interesting, if I've understood correctly. You make an americano comprising two lungo shots from different variety pods?

Craftsman
    I've had a nespresso for about 7years and have always used their capsules and have never had a problem, a couple of friends got them after having a coffee at mine, both have used other capsules and have had problems, firstly one has got a built in machine that looks like a proper bean to cup and it keeps sticking the automatic feeder and secondly the other broke the machine arm that operates the plunger because the cheaper pods have plastic ends instead of foil on the originals. I'm sticking with nespresso.
    Last edited by ml.williams; 6th September 2016 at 13:10.