closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rugby Union thread

The Rugby Union thread

as the new domestic seasons have just commenced and there doesn't appear to be a consolidated rugby thread, I figured I may as well start one.

My prediction for the top 4 for this season:

Sarries
    Exeter
    Wasps
    Bath

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gawkrodger View Post
    as the new domestic seasons have just commenced and there doesn't appear to be a consolidated rugby thread, I figured I may as well start one.

Sarries
    Exeter
    Wasps
    Bath
    Glasgow
    Ulster
    Munster
    Ospreys

For Pro12 I think Glasgow will take it.

Looking forward to Wasps/Exeter shortly. COYW!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Glasgow
    Ulster
    Munster
    Ospreys
    I might be biased

Ospreys
    Glasgow
    Munster
    Ulster

Sarries
    Exeter
    Wasps
    Bath
    Good call. The think Sarries are nailed on. It will be close between the other 3 for 2nd place.

Newcastle for the drop?

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ml.williams View Post
    I might be biased

Ospreys
    Glasgow
    Munster
    Ulster
    I'm definitely biased

Ulster
    Leinster
    Glasgow
    Munster

I think if Wasps can get their stellar new imports to gel then they will be up there with Sarries and the other play-off spots could be a bit of a lottery. We demolished Leicester in the first half on Friday night and then resorted to our standard second half performance, but the first half was the best rugby I have seen from a Glaws side in many years and finding more of that should see a return to top 6 and possibly the play-offs. Exeter are a great team, but man for man their squad isn't the strongest and I wonder if they had their time in the sun last season. Leicester pack doesn't look quite as strong as previous years, but their backs are still very classy and they know how to grind out wins. Bath can't be as awful as they were last season (although I can hope!).

At the other end, Bristol have recruited well, but I can see them and the Falcons fighting it out for the drop.

Once again though, those that "spend up to" the salary cap will be at the top ;)

Master
    Based on Glasgows demolition job at Connacht yesterday, I have high hopes.

Let's see what happens against Leinster on our new G3 grass pith next weekend.

Still see a huge talent gap between them and the top European sides mind you, so no high hopes there.

Master
    I expect the first games were by rusty teams.Went to the double header at Twickenham yesterday.The first half of Sarries rugby was dire, really dire. Second half just about OK. Then the referee managed to get the Bristol Harlequins game game wrong on key shouts.At least the crowd got well behind Bristol in what was meant to be a home Quins game.

COYW for me,with top being Sarries, despite above, then perm any of half a dozen.

Craftsman
    What no Leicester in the top 4? Surely Leicester before Wasps. I'm a Bath supporter & going to the game this weekend coming against Newcastle - can't wait. My predictions;
    Saracens
    Leicester
    Exeter
    Bath or Wasps
    For the drop Worcester or maybe Sale?

Lots of poor early season performances this weekend, so I'm sticking with:

Sarries
    Tigers
    Exeter
    Wasps

Tigers supporter here, and FWIW I think - for the first time in years - we have some really good youngsters, as well as expensive imports. Watch out for Genge, amongst others...

Quote Originally Posted by HJ. View Post
    I'm a Bath supporter

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;)

Master
    Another for Glasgow but when the internationals come around they lose most of the team. Think they lost about 10 of the first team last year which badly affected them and cost them a home semi final.
    Don't like Leicester as a team but was impressed with their game at the weekend.

Master
    You're spot on about Glasgow last year, the world cup did decimate the team but this year, with so many newcomers and youngsters, I don't think the effect will be as bad.

The win at the weekend certainly put a few demons to bed.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ;)
    Haha, Bristol or Gloucester or maybe Leicester supporter from long ago 😉
    Great win today against Newcastle, I didn't see that score line coming!

Haha, Bristol or Gloucester or maybe Leicester supporter from long ago 
    Great win today against Newcastle, I didn't see that score line coming!
    I didn't think Wasps would win either.

Eddie Jones must be purring like a cat with some of the new English talent coming through.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I didn't think Wasps would win either.
    Nor did I. Great result. Am booked to go and watch them play at Saracens on 9th October.

If anyone is interested BT Sport are showing Exeter vs Saracens this afternoon as a Freeview.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    If anyone is interested BT Sport are showing Exeter vs Saracens this afternoon as a Freeview.
    What's the prediction on the result then? Saracens to win by a lot or not much?

Another vote for glasgow.
    Anyone know when the European tickets go on sale, can't seem to see anything on the website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, Bristol or Gloucester or maybe Leicester supporter from long ago 
    Long time Cherry & White :)
    Last edited by Ashtennisguru; 11th September 2016 at 21:12.

you have my sympathies

I was pleased with Wasps yesterday.

Sarries, even though they're clearly suffering a bit of ring rust, still are a fair way ahead of everyone else.

I know we're only 2 games in, but I'm feeling more confident with my wildcard prediction of Bath

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Long time Cherry & White :)
    Ahh, Gloucester 😊
    You're having a ropey start to the season.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hark1812 View Post
    Another vote for glasgow.
    Anyone know when the European tickets go on sale, can't seem to see anything on the website

I got an email from the SRU a couple of days ago to say that tickets for the finals at Murrayfield were now on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I got an email from the SRU a couple of days ago to say that tickets for the finals at Murrayfield were now on sale.
    It's the Leicester game on 14th October I want tickets for

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hark1812 View Post
    It's the Leicester game on 14th October I want tickets for

Ah right, sorry, I misunderstood. In that case, I don't know, I'll just use my season ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Ah right, sorry, I misunderstood. In that case, I don't know, I'll just use my season ticket.
    No worries, I don't have a season ticket as I can't get time to goto the games every week. Hoping that'll change soon

well, it was a fairly enjoyable weekend to be a Wasps fan!

Craftsman
    well, it was a fairly enjoyable weekend to be a Wasps fan!
    Fairly enjoyable - what, did you want more 😉
    What about Chris Ashton though, not good. I've not seen any video of the incident(s).

Fairly enjoyable - what, did you want more 
    If I'm being picky (I am - need to improve more if we're going to beat Sarries) there were two chances which should've been finished, and we gave away a soft try

Daly's first try from the Cip crossfield kick is early contender for WTF? try of the year!

What about Chris Ashton though, not good. I've not seen any video of the incident(s).
    here you go

doesn't look good for him. Definitely his international career gone (if it wasn't already)

What I find slightly uncomfortable about the Ashton incident is the language being used by the club. I may be guilty of wearing rose-tinted spectacles and I've never been a fly on the wall at a disciplinary hearing but I'd always understood that the traditional approach was to turn up, be contrite and hope for the lowest possible sentence. It smacks of soccerisation to me and I don't like it - I also don't like some of the language about Ashton being "stressed and anxious", as if he were the victim.

In any case, my weekend involved Clontarf away at Belfield. If I was a UCD supporter I'd be seriously aggrieved at the result and probably the referee; 'Tarf stole it and really didn't deserve the win (but I'd love to know what the UCD no 10 said to the ref - this pretty much guaranteed the extra ten yards and 3 points that clinched the victory).

13 week ban for Ashton.

How long until he's playing in the Top 14?

I made the mistake of watching the Bath/Glous game on Saturday. Utterly dire.

Wasps on the other hand! Really looking forward to the Sarries game next week

Master
    Wasps on the other hand! Really looking forward to the Sarries game next week
    Me too - I am going to the game. Would have also liked to have gone to Twickenham Saturday, with tickets to see Australia still available at £20, but could not find any company, as we all go to Sarries on Sunday.

If I hadn't just finished a masters and err, have no job, I think I may have made the trek down to see it.

Had tickets for the Quins thrashing this weekend but annoyingly couldn't make it and had to pass them on.

Did anyone see the All Blacks/Argentina test? Normal great AB performance first half (including 3 tries in 4 minutes) but the second half was really, well, weird, and even saw them lose two players to the bin. McKenzie got his first run out though

Things are far too depressing down at Castle Grim right now - looking back that late loss in the first game at Tiggers may have affected the squad more than we thought :(

the Bath game was shocking. I can't remember the last time Laidlaw played so badly

^^^ Rumours are he's in discussions with Clermont (which would be "illegal" as players are not allowed to discuss contracts with new clubs until January), could have a bearing on performances.

that would not be good news for you. Bet you're all counting the days until Jonny May starts again

^^^ Jonny May, Tom Marshall, Matt Scott, Jeremy Thrush, Henry Trinder and a few others too - we've probably got 7 first teamers out at the moment.

As for Greig, whilst he is a phenomenal goal kicker and good captain, his pass can be a little slow and he is quite one dimensional (he rarely, if ever makes a break from the base of a ruck or scrum for example) - allegedly Ruan Pienaar is being lined up as a potential replacement. On paper our first choice XV is pretty good, but our strength in depth just isn't there to compete with Wasps, Sarries, Tiggers and dare I say it Barf

That wouldn't be a bad signing.

In AB news, Aaron Smith has just been sent home for being an idiot. I'm sure the Saffers were happy for a second, until they realised the #1 scrum-half in the world would just be replaced by TJ Perenara, the #2! ha

Master
    Watched Pienaar play for Ulster against Glasgow last week, he certainly brings a different dimension to the scrum half position. He's also quite a lot more of an imposing figure than Laidlaw and the "smaller" scrum-halfs, so his strength helps him too.

^^^ I've been a big fan of Pienaar's for years and there's obviously the David Humphries link, so it could be a goer if Greig does call time on Glaws.

So looks like Carter, Imhoff and Rokocoko have been popped for PEDs. Contrasting reports of them having exemptions

Bath were good tonight. How that wasn't a red card for Sale at the end is beyond me (and the TMO)

well, we can't win them all.

Sarries were impressive

Master
    well, we can't win them all.

Sarries were impressive
    Agreed. After seeing Sarries in the opening double header, I had hoped Wasps would win. Still a good game to watch.

Craftsman
    Sarries, did look good, I didn't think they would beat Wasps like that.
    Chuffed with the Bath win, plus Newcastle as the other half is a Geordie. Surprised to see Bristol struggling as they are, is the gulf between the 2 leagues that big?

Craftsman
    Sarries were good but benefitted from some dubious inconsistencies in refereeing decisions. I do wonder how long it'll be before they start getting pinged for offside for their 'line speed'...

Tigers looked good but think we're going to struggle to challenge Wasps and Sarries as lack the strength in depth at present though any back line with Betham and Veianu in is worth watching!