closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A bit of a mixed week from a long time lurker

Craftsman

A bit of a mixed week from a long time lurker

Hi All.
    I thought I would share the past week - a low and a high.
    The week started with my wife managing to scratch my Rolex Deepsea Blue with her diamond ring whilst out shopping. A trip to the AD confirmed it needed returning to Switzerland for a new glass. Bugger, it had been my favourite watch for the past 6 months and become my default daily wear.
    The AD tried to interest me in an 18 month old Patek Nautilus rose gold on croc deployment but having thought about it for 24 hours it was too bling for me.
    I defaulted to my 6 year old Daytona as my daily wear and remembered again how nice it was.
    Roll onto Saturday and the AD rang. I thought it was to tell me the expected damage on the Deepsea but no, my white faced Daytona had arrived.
    So low to high in the same week.
    I picked it up yesterday, put my wife's 20 year old mid size oyster perpetual date in for long needed full service and sized my old Daytona for her daily wear.
    All happy and a top result.

Good to hear, any pictures?

Craftsman
    No problem, I think I need to get a Flickr account to do that?

Master
    How on earth did your wife 'scratch' the crystal with her diamond, genuinely interested. Was she wearing the watch when this happened, or did you make contact while you were wearing?

Craftsman
    I was holding all of the ubiquitous shopping bags and she mistakenly thought she should help and reached down to grab the handle. Her eternity ring of 3 diamonds clattered the glass and scratched it from centre to around 4 o'clock, say a 1cm in length.
    Really noticeable in all types of light and somewhat exaggerated by the 5mm depth of the glass itself. Debated trying to buff out with cape cod but I could feel the scratch with my nail so was concerned I would end up bodging it and invalidating warranty. Decided to take it to AD and I guess we all agreed discretion was the better part of valour and we should replace.
    Know idea of cost yet but reckon £300??
    I was gutted as never scratched a sapphire glass before and all of the staff was incredulous we had managed to do it. Wife was full of remorse and offered to buy me any other watch. Did concede a Nautilus was maybe stretching it a bit though :-)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    How on earth did your wife 'scratch' the crystal with her diamond, genuinely interested. Was she wearing the watch when this happened, or did you make contact while you were wearing?
    It's possible. I scratched a sapphire crystal many moons ago by reaching behind my head to un-clip a necklace. Dragged the watch face across a diamond stud earring and created a tiny hairline scratch about a cm long.
    Turned the air blue. First world woman problem ;-)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Classic first world problems there .

Mike

Master
    You'll fit in well here as you've scored 178 'tz watch bingo' points in your post. Special bonus for 'rolex, patek, nautilus, deepsea and daytona' in a single post but minus 25 for 'diamond' :).

Craftsman
    Yes, I guess I have the cursed watch collecting disease. To be fair, this site has contributed much of the past 5 years expenditure. Man maths plays a part as well, if you like a watch and minimise your exposure on resale then it is almost an investment...:-)
    Thing is, I'm not selling any of them so the next first world problem comes into play - rotation of watches to even out wrist time....

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    It's possible. I scratched a sapphire crystal many moons ago by reaching behind my head to un-clip a necklace. Dragged the watch face across a diamond stud earring and created a tiny hairline scratch about a cm long.
    Turned the air blue. First world woman problem ;-)
    I am trying to imagine how reaching to un-clip a necklace would end up with the watch face in contact with the diamond - but then again I managed to dent the bezel of a watch on my right wrist while closing the boot of my car with my right hand.

A one off event hopefully

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I am trying to imagine how reaching to un-clip a necklace would end up with the watch face in contact with the diamond - but then again I managed to dent the bezel of a watch on my right wrist while closing the boot of my car with my right hand.

A one off event hopefully
    I've an Omega chronostop driver's version which wears under the wrist so maybe that was the case? Or the wearer was performing yoga? Either way I wear neither earrings nor necklaces so I'm unable to proffer any real life experience words of explanation!

Craftsman
    Nice collection alright, pictures please! Love the Daytona and you have 2!!!

Craftsman
    Lost one to the wife now :-(

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    You'll fit in well here as you've scored 178 'tz watch bingo' points in your post. Special bonus for 'rolex, patek, nautilus, deepsea and daytona' in a single post but minus 25 for 'diamond' :).
    I think he deserves an extra 20 forum points for complaining about the ' watch collecting disease' and blaming the forum for costing him money!

I feel for you, OP as it is a nuisance having to send it back to Switzerland but enjoy the Daisy on the meantime and post some pics if you can.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz4169 View Post
    Know idea of cost yet but reckon £300??
    Ouch, sorry to hear that OP but the rest of your week sounded pretty good at least. The only experience I have of a crystal needing replacement on a Deep Sea was as quote of £140 or so for the crystal. However, they also insisted that they would insist on servicing the watch at the same time, so hopefully you can argue that out if they try to make you go down that route. The DSSD does seem quite susceptible to crystal scratches; I guess due to it being domed and a large, thick watch.

The price above was quoted around three years ago.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the price indication and hope to avoid service as only 6 months old!

Craftsman

As requested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Good luck with the crystal replacement. The cost and Rolex's particular approach to servicing appear to be one of the joys of ownership.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I am trying to imagine how reaching to un-clip a necklace would end up with the watch face in contact with the diamond
    I wear the bracelets loose and the head had spun to the inside of my wrist.
    Lesson learned and wearing style rectified.

Was the rose gold Nautilus that you tried the 5980R? How much were they after?

Craftsman
    5712 and £28,950 registered in nov14 I recall, one owner, just serviced and stickered.

Apprentice
    This thread serves as a good cautionary tale, thanks OP! I'll never go near diamonds with my watch hand.

I once got tiny drops of Loctite superglue on the sapphire & bezel of a GMT. A panicked call to WOS then a referral to the Rolex service centre later & I was luckily saved. The genius in a white coat at the service centre was able to perfectly remove it with wooden tools for free (they said chemicals could have damaged the ceramic bezel). I owe him a beer because if that hadn't worked they were quoting me £400-500 for replacement parts & labour, & up to 6 weeks to get the watch back.

Craftsman
    Update - unfortunately no luck on scratched glass Deepsea Blue from Rolex as they insist on service of a 10 month old watch when replacing the glass. Cost £670. I feel slightly disappointed as applied no goodwill to the quote. I understand they didn't have to but I was hoping they would take a more generous view......I put it down to experience of a 1st world problem I guess.

Life can be tough. Get the Butler on it wiv the silver polish.

Not that I'm bitter.......

Craftsman
    Update - Deepsea with new glass back in possession with a final price of £570 as they serviced it on their own insistence. Good job and kept the Rolex travel pouch it came back in.

Why service a "new" watch because it requires a scratched sapphire replacement? You remove the movement from the case before changing the glass? Years ago I smashed the sapphire display back of a zenith elite by dropping it onto the floor and was quoted £250+.imagine my surprise when it appeared back in the post with a note saying as a gesture of goodwill they had repaired it for free! Was in rolex St James and asked to buy a screwdriver and also a travel pouch for my submariner and was refused recently.i will always respect zenith as a great company and will someday buy another watch from them.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by amcneill; 11th November 2016 at 09:09.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Why service a "new" watch because it requires a scratched sapphire replacement? You remove the movement from the case before changing the glass? Years ago I smashed the sapphire display back of a zenith elite by dropping it onto the floor and was quoted £250+.imagine my surprise when it appeared back in the post with a note saying as a gesture of goodwill they had repaired it for free! Was in rolex St James and asked to buy a screwdriver and also a travel pouch for my submariner and was refused recently.i will always respect zenith as a great company and will someday buy another watch from them.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    I guess because the watch needs pressure testing which in this case can only be done in Switzerland. I tried to exert a goodwill gesture from Rolex but no deal.