closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Westworld

Master
    I watched the series finale earlier and the fact that I can’t remember how it ended speaks volumes.

Master
    Am I the only one that thought when it cut to the shot of the mansion facade with the fountains in front on Dolores and Bernard's "journey" they might've been entering Romanworld - as per the 1973 movie?

P.S. Not being an expert in Roman architecture you understand...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Great review and your right, spot on. Such a shame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I watched every episode until 3 weeks ago when I deleted it from my planner as I was losing the will to live!

Until I saw this thread I’d totally forgotten about it - that tells me everything.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I watched every episode until 3 weeks ago when I deleted it from my planner as I was losing the will to live!

Until I saw this thread I’d totally forgotten about it - that tells me everything.
    havent seen the last episode and in no rush to either.... some amazing ideas and great cinematography but narratively I just find it really difficult to care about any of the characters. The best episodes in season 2 have been the ones outside the main narrative, Shogun World & Ghost Nation

If you haven't fallen asleep before the end of the finale, you need to watch to the end of the credits for the final snippet.

It's not worth it of course, but in the interest of completion.

Season 1 was epic, Season 2 was pretty atrocious. Finale was, much like MST said, a bit too close to the ending disappointment of Lost for my liking

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    If you haven't fallen asleep before the end of the finale, you need to watch to the end of the credits for the final snippet.

It's not worth it of course, but in the interest of completion.

Season 1 was epic, Season 2 was pretty atrocious. Finale was, much like MST said, a bit too close to the ending disappointment of Lost for my liking

Always thought Lost's ending was pretty good, as well as underrated. It was completely different to the Season 2 finale for Westworld though, Lost followed what a lot of people thought would happen, Westworld went weird with the timelines, almost looking like there is hundreds of years between some of them, at least Lost had a clear link to the timelines, i.e. the island timeline, the mainland timelines and then the historical timelines, you knew what, where and when the storyline was.

I really enjoyed Tin Star but even that seemed to loose both pace and direction in the final stages; the ending being particularly frustrating.

Too many decent shows seem to suffer from a trailing off of writing talent, or narrative direction, near the end of the series; or, worse still, the curse of the second series, which often seems to follow the same critical slump of second films following in the footsteps of a successful initial offering.

I was enthralled by Lost S1, tolerated S2 and gave up on S3. It simply had no characters in it to root for. I need a connection to follow a series.
    With Westworld again I watched S1 with great interest, guessing what might happen and who was who and what. And then it all went pear shaped. I currently have ten episodes on my Sky box, unwatched. I think I'm going to delete them since there's nothing compelling me - in the plot and with the characters - to carry on watching.

We watched the finale last night, and I can’t help thinking that they tried too hard to mix too many “big ideas” (nicked from The Matrix/Philip K Dick, combined with topical issues like a corporation stealing data), and didn’t pull it off. I don’t think they brought the different story-arcs together convincingly.

Clever maybe, but not very watcheable imo. (And they stopped having the automated piano thingy playing modem classics, which was my favourite bit).

I watched most of the first series then found myself loosing interest. I wonder should I revisit it and stick at it.

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    I really enjoyed Tin Star but even that seemed to loose both pace and direction in the final stages; the ending being particularly frustrating.

Too many decent shows seem to suffer from a trailing off of writing talent, or narrative direction, near the end of the series; or, worse still, the curse of the second series, which often seems to follow the same critical slump of second films following in the footsteps of a successful initial offering.
    Tin Star, a fine idea for a story, but with dire acting and no script, or rather, many scenes but with no continuity!

I think S2 was trying to be a bit too clever. Too much going on to make for enjoyable viewing.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    This is the worst second season of any series I've really enjoyed. It was even more disappointing than Matrix reloaded. I can't damn it any more than that.

Convoluted, confusing, pretentious, repetitive. I wanted every character to die a grisly death by the end and have a promise never to re-appear a la Poochy in the Simpsons.

Craftsman
    The second series was not a patch on the first, but it was still relatively enjoyable. I really liked the ghost nation episode, but as others have said it suffered from being overly complicated with too many timelines going on. I also think there were no characters in the second series that were particularly likeable.

Will probably end up watching S3 to see where they go, but they need to simplify it to avoid losing the audience.

Thumbs up

I watched the Season finale today and the plot/story has disappeared so far up its own arse that it makes ‘Lost’ look like coherent, logical storytelling. The only character I had empathy with was Teddy. Maeve a bit - but she got pretty annoying in the end.

Journeyman
    I caught up with the last episode last night - meh

So hard to care about any of the characters, the narrative was all over the place and led to a really dissatisfying resolutions.

I’ve also been watching Humans and that deals with similar moral questions but in a much more engaging way

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post

So hard to care about any of the characters, the narrative was all over the place and led to a really dissatisfying resolutions.

I’ve also been watching Humans and that deals with similar moral questions but in a much more engaging way
    I'll give humans a go.

Still not really sure what was happening at the end, to be honest my head hurt trying to work out who was a robot and who was not...in the end I could not care less

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post

Interesting that you mention Humans, I haven't seen it but I did start to think that Westworld went a bit "Altered Carbon", only Altered Carbon pulled it off better!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Still not really sure what was happening at the end, to be honest my head hurt trying to work out who was a robot and who was not...in the end I could not care less
    Well I’m glad it’s not just me.

I was worried I wasn’t doing it justice or not concentrating hard enough but to be honest still not 100% sure what really happened during my that finale.

Was it a ‘Bobby Ewing’ style dream that Bernard was experiencing and in reality there was another narrative playing all the time?

I don’t know and not sure I care that much. I’ve enjoyed it but if you have to try that hard to keep up with the story then it’s hard to empathise with the characters.

I’ll get back to Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse going fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

At the conclusion of the S2 finale, it seemed clear to me that it was also a 'Series' finale. Everything and everybody related to Westworld seemed to be either dead, destroyed, or "happily ever after."

Now I read that a third season was announced in May.

WTF? What can you create from those ashes?

Master
    Doubt I'll bother with s3. Life's too short.

Master
    I wonder if when a host suffers from minor leg damage, it goes into limp home mode?