closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld

Westworld

Looks like they have remade one of my all time favorite movies into a HBO series.

https://youtu.be/IuS5huqOND4

https://youtu.be/eX3u0IlBBO4

I love the original

Not too sure about the remake though - it might be OK so will give it a try

Master
    It's been coming for about 2 years LW, have you not seen anything about it??

Looks well worth a look anyway - I can see it getting the ratings, its having a real advertising push.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    It's been coming for about 2 years LW, have you not seen anything about it??

Looks well worth a look anyway - I can see it getting the ratings, its having a real advertising push.
    First I heard was this morning. I haven't got Sky so not sure how I will see it. Maybe subscribe to HBO direct its its possible in the UK.

Seen the trailer for months.

"In a futuristic theme park staffed by artificial beings, guests can live out their wildest fantasies. However, when the robots begin to run amok, the guests find themselves in a world where anything can happen."

On Sky Atlantic from October

From executive producer J.J Abrams and writer/director Jonathan Nolan and featuring Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris and Thandie Newton...

Last edited by andrewcregan; 3rd September 2016 at 13:01.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Seen the trailer for months.

"In a futuristic theme park staffed by artificial beings, guests can live out their wildest fantasies. However, when the robots begin to run amok, the guests find themselves in a world where anything can happen."

On Sky Atlantic from October

From executive producer J.J Abrams and writer/director Jonathan Nolan and featuring Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris and Thandie Newton...

Starts October
    They got Sky Atlantic on Now TV, that might be the answer. Thanks.

Apparently

"The first episode of the ten expected will arrive on HBO on Sunday the 2nd of October at 9pm"

So hopefully on Sky Arlantic around then.
    Last edited by andrewcregan; 3rd September 2016 at 13:19.

I'm in.

Loved the original when it was released, and the trailer for the reincarnation looks intriguing.

Master
    If you haven't got Sky, you could try Now TV Entertainment pack £15 for a 3 month subscription from Sainsburys.
    Sky Atlantic, Sky Box sets and more.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/...t-3-month-pass

Master
    The only gripe I have with Westworld is...
    ...they tout it as being the ultimate adult playground where the guest is the hero and the centre of attention, you can tap up any woman you fancy, start (and win!) fights with the local 'ard nuts and generally strut about like King Dong.
    Trouble is, the androids look exactly like humans - that's the selling point, of course - so how do you know you're not trying to shag a real bird, like some other guests wife? Or kicking off with some nut job who might glass you in the face instead of a robot programmed to fall flat on his arse as soon as you wave a podgy fist in his general direction?

Unless they only have one guest at a time, but that would cost about a million quid a week to cover the overheads (and obviously we know that not to be the case anyway).

I try not to think too hard about these things to be honest. Looking forward to the series.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    The only gripe I have with Westworld is...
    ...they tout it as being the ultimate adult playground where the guest is the hero and the centre of attention, you can tap up any woman you fancy, start (and win!) fights with the local 'ard nuts and generally strut about like King Dong.
    Trouble is, the androids look exactly like humans - that's the selling point, of course - so how do you know you're not trying to shag a real bird, like some other guests wife? Or kicking off with some nut job who might glass you in the face instead of a robot programmed to fall flat on his arse as soon as you wave a podgy fist in his general direction?

Unless they only have one guest at a time, but that would cost about a million quid a week to cover the overheads (and obviously we know that not to be the case anyway).

I try not to think too hard about these things to be honest. Looking forward to the series.
    I could only speculate that upon arrival, guests are notified that non-guests (androids) are identifiable by some minor detail, such as a uniquely coloured bracelet.

Blog Entries
    I never, never look at remakes.

There's only the Original, and I love it.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I never, never look at remakes.

There's only the Original, and I love it.

Daddel.
    I thought that about Fargo, it took a long time for me to give the TV series a chance and it turned out to be excellent. So I'll give this a whirl.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I could only speculate that upon arrival, guests are notified that non-guests (androids) are identifiable by some minor detail, such as a uniquely coloured bracelet.

That satisfies me.

Starts Tuesday 4 October, 9pm.

"You are not in control of your destiny."

#Westworld

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    It's the hands, it's the only thing they can't get right. That's what James Brolin said in the original.

Loved the original. Gotta be 25 yrs old ?
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Loved the original. Gotta be 25 yrs old ?
    Andy

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Just been inspired and now watching the original on Now TV

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Just been inspired and now watching the original on Now TV
    Wouldn't it be more aptly named Then TV?

I love the movie and there's no one to touch Brynner... Arnie couldn't get close even in the first terminator to YB' s awesome cold menace...

But it's different ... it's HBO... so Game of Thrones, Sopranos etc . Mean I'll definitely give it a go....

The first trailer from the 1st link in the top post looks excellent.
    Sure this series will be excellent

I'm taking out a subscription to NowTv, just cant miss this. Looks too good............................

https://youtu.be/0zZcBv0gPK0

Master
    So any thoughts on the first episode? I enjoyed.

Hopefully no spoilers Just home from work, so not had a chance to see it.
    Fingers crossed it is great.......?

Master
    Well there will be no spoilers from me anyway

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Very different. Very enjoyable. I've never seen the original but definitely going to check it out.

I watched it too. Enjoyed it so could be OK

Hopefully next time I can watch it without Mrs GB asking what was going on every two minutes!

Master
    I love the first episode, not a remake of the film but along the same lines and with more detail/depth in regard to the 'hosts'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Early days but definitely good enough to watch again. Lots going on and lots to take in.

Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    I love the first episode, not a remake of the film but along the same lines and with more detail/depth in regard to the 'hosts'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Early days but definitely good enough to watch again. Lots going on and lots to take in.
    As above. I find that I normally get so far into a remake and then give up, usually because the new version is far removed from the original and/or offers nothing new. This looks like the exception etc.
    F.T.F.A.

I loved it. Drove to office still thinking about the plot. Going to watch it again tonight Do we all know who are the guests and who are the hosts? Ha ha! my wife dosent................

Master
    Really was looking forward to this but will have to improve for me to stay with it.

Disappointing first show.

I liked ep1 - if you have any idea of the original book/movie you know how this is roughly gonna go. But the slow build, characterisation/development of the 'hosts' will contribute to the suspense and tension. Plus there are so many directions they can take this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    For me - underwhelmed, expected a bit more (as it was 1 hour 20 mins inc adverts, why not 1.5 or 2 hours double episode?) but it is the 1st episode and will stick with it.

Spoiler Alert

Also confused about the Man in Black being bullet proof.

Just bought myself a Now TV box for £19 from Amazon for this (Sainsbury's n t £5) - loved the original.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    For me - underwhelmed, expected a bit more (as it was 1 hour 20 mins inc adverts, why not 1.5 or 2 hours double episode?) but it is the 1st episode and will stick with it.

Spoiler Alert

Also confused about the Man in Black being bullet proof.
    The human guests can't be harmed. The guns only 'kill' hosts and bounce off the humans like that.

Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    The human guests can't be harmed. The guns only 'kill' hosts and bounce off the humans like that.
    Not for long..................................

Not usually much for sci-fi type stuff, but thoroughly enjoyed this and looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    If you haven't got Sky, you could try Now TV Entertainment pack £15 for a 3 month subscription from Sainsburys.
    Sky Atlantic, Sky Box sets and more.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/...t-3-month-pass
    Might have to give that a go, Sky will not allow us over charged Virgin customer access to sky atlantic !

Ive been wanting to watch this for ages, along with a few other Atlantic only programmes.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I love the original

Not too sure about the remake though - it might be OK so will give it a try
    Anyone who can remember anything the first time round will always have doubt about a remake.

You have to remember theirs a lot of people that were not around when the original of whatever it be was around so can't compare....

So far I've managed to persuade several colleagues to watch the original Magnificent Seven, then the original Westworld (To link the Yul Brinner characters). They all watched the new Westworld last night with deeper interest and couldn't believe that the original Westworld was written by the guy that wrote Jurassic Park and ER!

Personally thought the constant nudity and one-dimensional ex-special forces security team were unnecessary.

Grand Master
    It's an HBO show, so the first episode didn't try to sell you everything, my guess is it'll be half a dozen episodes in until a lot of it makes and characters fully integrated.

As for the man in black being bullet proof, i thought he was just not following his programming, i.e. when you get shot you fall over, whereas he just takes the hit knowing the bullets can't damage the robots, which i'd guess can sustain the damage without issue, just a touch up required, i guess we'll find out soon!

Master
    I enjoyed it but too much unconvincing swearing.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    I thought the man in black was a rogue "host", the first night he killed Teddy and then he dragged Delores into the barn, the next day in town he was Delores chivalrous friend picking up a can off the floor.

Probably thought the man in black was/is the Yul Brynner character in the original Westworld.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    It's an HBO show, so the first episode didn't try to sell you everything, my guess is it'll be half a dozen episodes in until a lot of it makes and characters fully integrated.

As for the man in black being bullet proof, i thought he was just not following his programming, i.e. when you get shot you fall over, whereas he just takes the hit knowing the bullets can't damage the robots, which i'd guess can sustain the damage without issue, just a touch up required, i guess we'll find out soon!
    It's an HBO show and a JJ Abrams show... LOST stayed a mystery for a solid 6 seasons!

My feeling is the man in black is a visitor... like a permanent visitor. He says at one point "Ive been coming here for 30 years" which implies from other snippets of info that he could be one of the first visitors to the earliest incarnation of Westworld. He's found something worth pursuing, and worth chopping a guys skull off for too... which is why he keeps coming back.

I'm excited for episode 2, thats for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    It's an HBO show and a JJ Abrams show... LOST stayed a mystery for a solid 6 seasons!

My feeling is the man in black is a visitor... like a permanent visitor. He says at one point "Ive been coming here for 30 years" which implies from other snippets of info that he could be one of the first visitors to the earliest incarnation of Westworld. He's found something worth pursuing, and worth chopping a guys skull off for too... which is why he keeps coming back.

I'm excited for episode 2, thats for sure!
    That's was my thinking too, man in black is a guest (so can't be hurt by bullets), one that's been coming for 30yrs. The reason he picked up the can rather than Teddy, was because Teddy got sidelined by a guest. MIB enjoys a bit of killing and raping roleplay, but is a bit bored of it all and is now convinced, rightly or wrongly, that there is a deeper level to the 'game', such as, oh i don't know, turning off the 'don't hurt guests' protocol?

Anyone else notice the music? There may have been more earlier on, but in a scene in the saloon, the piano is playing Soundgarden's 'Black Hole Sun', which i thought was a bit odd, modern music in wildwest setting then later in the big street shootout, it's the Stones 'Paint it Black'. A bit of a Black theme there. Anyone spot any others?

Brighty

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    That's was my thinking too, man in black is a guest (so can't be hurt by bullets), one that's been coming for 30yrs. The reason he picked up the can rather than Teddy, was because Teddy got sidelined by a guest. MIB enjoys a bit of killing and raping roleplay, but is a bit bored of it all and is now convinced, rightly or wrongly, that there is a deeper level to the 'game', such as, oh i don't know, turning off the 'don't hurt guests' protocol?

Anyone else notice the music? There may have been more earlier on, but in a scene in the saloon, the piano is playing Soundgarden's 'Black Hole Sun', which i thought was a bit odd, modern music in wildwest setting then later in the big street shootout, it's the Stones 'Paint it Black'. A bit of a Black theme there. Anyone spot any others?

Brighty
    I did spot Black Hole Sun and Paint It Black. I didn't get the "Black" theme with the music, but then I didn't instantly think of this antagonist as "the man in black" until he was referred to as such in here. I didn't notice any others but maybe I need to rewatch the earlier part of the episode before Black Hole Sun, it might be that it was more noticeable than an earlier piece.

Master
    I thought Ed Harris was a visitor... purely because he couldn't be shot. Probably makes more sense for the twist to make him a rogue host.

Master
    Really enjoyed the first one and loved the music so far!