closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 9F Perpetual Calendar movements

Seiko 9F Perpetual Calendar movements

I have a couple of Seiko watches with 9F perpetual calender movements in them. One is a simple 3 hand watch and the other is a GMT watch. I've had them for years and the batteries ran out a long time ago. Couple of questions:

1. Are they worth anything at all?

2. Who could I send them to to get new batteries? I don't think it's simply a matter of whipping the back off and sticking a new battery in. The perpetual calendar needs to be be set.

Search for member Cannop on here, he reset and put a battery in a former Seiko perpetual for me.

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    I have a couple of Seiko watches with 9F perpetual calender movements in them. One is a simple 3 hand watch and the other is a GMT watch. I've had them for years and the batteries ran out a long time ago. Couple of questions:

2. Who could I send them to to get new batteries? I don't think it's simply a matter of whipping the back off and sticking a new battery in. The perpetual calendar needs to be be set.
    Do you mean 8F?
    I used to have a GMT version that I put a new battery in, I seem to remember it was a bit of a fiddle to program the calendar, but was ok. Wish I hadn't sold it as I quite fancy owning one again.
    Last edited by rdwiow; 31st August 2016 at 17:01.

Sorry yes they're 8F. My eyesight's not what it was :-)

Plenty of instructions online but the battery is not easy to get hold of

http://www.seikodigitalwatches.com/4...eryreplace.pdf

When replacing these you'll need to swap the insulator. Or find one that has the insulator.

Part numbers as follows:

If you replace the battery within 3 minutes you'll be OK and won't need to set the perpetual calender.

8f35 manual

8f35 battery replacement manual.

Last edited by Bodo; 31st August 2016 at 23:50.

Blog Entries

Your questions have been addresses but since I like 8F-powered watches, I'll reply too. ;-)

Yes, they are worth something. Prices are going up gradually. Good condition 8F56s start at about £100 now. So not huge money but definitely worth not throwing away!

Changing the battery yourself is entirely feasible if you want to do it, as is resetting the perpetual calendar. The best online guide to doing this was at the now-defunct PMWF forum but I have the web page saved. I can send it to anyone who is interested.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Plenty of instructions online but the battery is not easy to get hold of
    The battery is very commonly available on eBay or from vendors such as Cousins. It's a standard battery type manufactured by Panasonic and others.

What is not quite so easily available is the insulator. There are two types of insulator: One is attached to the movement (in effect it fits under the battery) and is reuseable, and the other is stuck to the battery negative side and is less easily reusable. But the batteries themselves are easily found.

I've (luckily) never had to craft a new insulator for any of my 8F watches but I think it should be possible with scissors/scalpel and paper or cellophane (sweet wrapper!).

I've changed many 8F32 and 8F56 movements' batteries by now.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 1st September 2016 at 01:24. Reason: Fixed typo

Mark could you send me that page please?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    Mark could you send me that page please?
    YHPM :-)

Can you send it to me too please. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Can you send it to me too please. Thanks.
    Sure thing, YHPM.

P.S. I suggest you alter the subject of the thread from "9F" to "8F" for future reference.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 1st September 2016 at 20:18.

Blog Entries
    In fact there's nothing secret about the file and the original author is, sadly, not going to be asserting his copyright, so here is the url for anyone who wants it: http://www.signal100.com/markr/misc/...32,%208F56.zip

The link in the zip file which goes to the original location no longer works since PMWF has gone down permanently. However, the included .mht file has everything. To read the .mht file you'll need Internet Explorer or Firefox with the UnMHT or 'Mozilla Archive Format' addon. The mail client Thunderbird or any mail client that can handle a .eml file should be able to view the file too.

Let me know if there are any problems. If, in future, you can't find the file, let me know.

Thanks. I don't think I can edit titles.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I don't think I can edit titles.
    Just go to the first message, click Edit Post, then click Go Advanced. You can edit the title there. :-)

Craftsman
    It's easy to change the battery and set it as per instructions. I would further recommend removing the stem as they break very easily. Unfortunately, I am speaking from experience. They are really impressive movements and I wish I had kept one.