closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Off topic: Instant soup

Master

Off topic: Instant soup

English is not my mother tongue; please excuse any errors on my part.

So, is outhere any instant soup, which is perfectly natural, without colorings , flavor enhancers , various additives ... so that can be enjoyed by someone with an extremely sensitive stomach without feeling any discomfort ?

P.S.
    And the taste must be at least satisfactory

Master
    Although I am very partial to Maggi chicken noodle soup (even if you have to add half a stock cube now as they've removed most of the salt and therefore taste) I suspect the answer is no. Having said that, invest in hand blender - the world of soups is then the mollusc of your choice, and it doesn't take much longer than a simmer soup mix anyway.

Marigold vegetable bouillon for the simple clear option.
    I always used to like aynsleys packet soups for camping. Pea is the best flavour, with mushroom also potable. They are probably chock full of additives though.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Most of the additives are synthetic versions of natural products to maintain colour and flavour. Unless you're allergic to any of them then don't worry, though you may find they have higher calories than fresh-made because of added sugar.

Tinned soup doesn't need additives since it's just fresh stuff that's been picked, washed, pureed, canned and cooked within two or three hours. It'll even have the nutrients that a lot of the fresh stuff has lost waiting on supermarket shelves for days. The disadvantage is that it's often overcooked.
    I tried some 'fresh' soup from the supermarket last month. Carrot and coriander. It was the same as the canned variety but twice as expensive and with a short use-by date.

I did have a bit of a winter penchant for heinz tomato soup habit at one stage. The kids love it, especially after a cold bike ride or mucking about in the snow. I suspect it's full of sugar though.

How about organic miso and tofu one? Takes just a couple of minutes to make and absolutely delicious.

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    How about organic miso and tofu one? Takes just a couple of minutes to make and absolutely delicious.

How easy? Sick and tired of having salads for lunch, is it filling? Recipe please!

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    How easy? Sick and tired of having salads for lunch, is it filling? Recipe please!
    Cube some tofu and slice Spring onions. Boil water. Put a table spoon of good miso paste (much more preferable to miso powder) in the bowl, add tofu, sliced spring onions, seaweed and pour boiling water, stir - voila!

PS is it filling? I find it's actually more filling than an average M&S or similar lunch salad, while having almost no calories at all. You can experiment with ingredients, quite often I have just seaweed and miso paste version, just enough for an average desk diving routine.
    Last edited by VDG; 17th September 2016 at 12:57.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I buy tomato juice and V8 vegetable juice; cup in the microwave = hot soup with no additives … and cheaper and tastier than tinned soups.

OK not instant but even instant soups require the kettle to be boiled.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

How hard is it to make proper fresh soup with real ingredients? Takes me typically 20-40 minutes using a pressure cooker from starting prep to being ready. Not a fan of instant rubbish full of chemicals...

Weightwatchers (!) have a recipe for 'noodle jars' that you prepare the night before, then add boiling water to when you want to eat them:

https://www.weightwatchers.com/uk/instant-noodle-jars

Dressing
    1 tsp ginger, grated
    1 tsp miso paste
    ˝ tsp sesame oil
    1 tsp soy sauce
    ˝ small chilli, de-seeded & sliced
    Noodles & Veg
    40g fine rice noodles
    1 large handful spinach leaves,
    ˝ small courgette, finely sliced
    ˝ small carrot, grated
    ˝ red pepper, finely sliced
    3 spring onions, finely sliced
    Instructions

1. Put the dressing ingredients at the bottom of a Kilner jar with a fitting hinged lid.
    2. Add the rice noodles and layer up the vegetables in the order given. Store in the fridge.
    3. When you’re ready to eat, fill the jar with boiling water and screw on the lid. Leave for 8 mins or until noodles are tender.

You can use whatever veg you want, and add cooked chicken if you like.
    You can use whatever veg you want, and add chicken

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Weightwatchers (!) have a recipe for 'noodle jars' that you prepare the night before, then add boiling water to when you want to eat them:

https://www.weightwatchers.com/uk/instant-noodle-jars

Dressing
    1 tsp ginger, grated
    1 tsp miso paste
    ˝ tsp sesame oil
    1 tsp soy sauce
    ˝ small chilli, de-seeded & sliced
    Noodles & Veg
    40g fine rice noodles
    1 large handful spinach leaves,
    ˝ small courgette, finely sliced
    ˝ small carrot, grated
    ˝ red pepper, finely sliced
    3 spring onions, finely sliced
    Instructions

1. Put the dressing ingredients at the bottom of a Kilner jar with a fitting hinged lid.
    2. Add the rice noodles and layer up the vegetables in the order given. Store in the fridge.
    3. When you’re ready to eat, fill the jar with boiling water and screw on the lid. Leave for 8 mins or until noodles are tender.

You can use whatever veg you want, and add cooked chicken if you like.
    You can use whatever veg you want, and add chicken
    Done those myself a few times, made the night before, then take to work for lunch. Great idea in theory, but i found the jar, especially if kept in the fridge, takes all the heat out of the water, leaving it luke warm at best, i ended up having to decant into a bowl and microwave it, bit of a faff and haven't bothered since.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not instant but have a look at Heinz's Big Soup range.
    I'm not a soup lover but have these all the time. They're more like a Sunday roast in a tin.

Microwaveable cup with a lid, three and a half minutes and done.

A bonus is that for an occasional treat, a can just fits inside a large Sainsbury's Yorkshire pudding;

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I'm not a soup lover but have these all the time. They're more like a Sunday roast in a tin.

A bonus is that for an occasional treat, a can just fits inside a large Sainsbury's Yorkshire pudding;
    You've been watching Masterchef again

Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    You can make a basic miso soup just by adding hot water to miso. It's important to get a good miso though . Clearspring is a decent brand. Then just add chopped spring onions. I used to cane alot in my fatbusters period.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post

This looks like an excellent hangover curative for Saturday mornings.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    The only "soup" I make is as follows.
    Ingredients -
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    1-2 can/s beans except kidney beans
    2 medium or 1 large onion
    diced chorizo 100 gm +/- 400 to 500 gmschopped sausage of your choice ( If not using sausages can increase the amount of chorizo or can omit the meat altogether)
    Paprika 2 - tsp I use 1.5 tsp paprika and 1/2 tsp indian chilli powder
    Teeny bit of pepper powder
    Salt to taste
    1 large red pepper finely chopped
    1 large bag spinach
    Method-
    Fry the onions and chopped bell pepper in olive oil
    Add chorizo and/or sausages . Let it all cook, I like to add the paprika at this stage along
    with some pepper powder, add the canned tomatoes. Salt to taste. Once the tomatoes are half done add the beans of your choice.
    Let the whole thing come to a boil using the tomato can as measure add 1 to 1.5 cans water. once the oil starts to float on top stick in the spinach coarsely chopped and cover for 5 min. Done
    This is my go to soup when I am on call. One batch is enough for 3 days. If you have it with a roll should last you 4 days
    Last edited by 72bpm; 18th September 2016 at 10:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    You can make a basic miso soup just by adding hot water to miso. It's important to get a good miso though . Clearspring is a decent brand. Then just add chopped spring onions. I used to cane alot in my fatbusters period.
    What's that? I am guessing it should be hard tofu? What is the leaf they use, Kombu?

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    How hard is it to make proper fresh soup with real ingredients? Takes me typically 20-40 minutes using a pressure cooker from starting prep to being ready. Not a fan of instant rubbish full of chemicals...
    40 minutes instead of 2 in the microwave? If I thought I'd live long enough. No chemicals in canned soups, well, maybe some have colouring.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    40 minutes instead of 2 in the microwave? If I thought I'd live long enough. No chemicals in canned soups, well, maybe some have colouring.
    Make a large batch for 5 days. 40/5=8 minutes/day!

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    It's 100% chemicals. :-)