closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me a beard trimmer.

Recommend me a beard trimmer.

Morning chaps,

Over the past few years I have gone from shaving my face daily through to now only shaving every 7-10 days.

When I do bother to get round to it (my wife usually reminds me it's time), I take little pleasure in either hacking through the growth with a wet razor or bludgeoning my face with a wet and dry electric.

The cycle then repeats itself and I find myself with about 2 days in the middle where I don't either look like I've just started shaving due to the nicks, or a U Boat skipper back from patrol.

My barber suggested a beard trimmer might be the answer to my problem.

It seems there are loads to choose from. I don't mind the price point but I want something that is pleasurable to use and is decent quality.

Anyone got any recommendations for me?

TIA

Can't beat the Remington Barba beard trimmer,

I have used much more expensive ones and this is the one I prefer most,

It is on offer on Amazon today.

Master
    I use a Babyliss iStubble for the times I can't be bothered to crack out the safety razor. It's a terrible name but a good product. You can adjust the length by increments of 0.2 millimetre. Past about 2mm it's a pain though as you have to use it in line with the grain to get it to trim level.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BaByliss-Me.../dp/B009E4BWEG

Master
    A search will reveal quite a few threads on the topic, like this one:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=beard+trimmer

Wahl would still be my recommendation. Having said that, a couple of weeks ago I picked up one of these Philips Oneblades:

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-pe/oneb...plid|&trackid=

It's surprisingly good. I have had full size trimmers that have not done as good a job - there is an excellent blade on this thing. Worth a try - Boots have them on a special offer. I imagine that the main profit on these will come from replacement blades, which will need replaced much more than the blade on a "normal" trimmer.

TBH you can't beat a professional Wahl hairdressers clipper. It'll do everything from head to toe and makes light work of it all. Although for the quick stubble look I too use a Babyliss iStubble (older style one with rotary dial) and find this very good for short hair as well as unruly ear and nostril hair too - has anyone had these lasered? I was seriously thinking about it although the Turkish Barbers do a great job of keeping these down with some Methylated Spirit on a stick even though it stinks. :-)

At home I use a small Wahl mains-powered trimmer...the Peanut, but I don't think it's still available in the UK. I'd like something, preferably rechargeable, to take with me when I travel that doesn't have a mains adapter. I have a rechargeable travel shaver that only needs a mains lead.

Can I add to this thread by asking if anyone knows of a trimmer that meets the above requirement? So far I've found the Remington MB4560 that can be charged using a micro-USB lead, in the same way as my phone and tablet and that means I don't need another adapter.

Moser Li+ Pro, problem solved. Had a Braun before, which was utterly useless, so went for the best I could find without looking at the price tag.

Scissors

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    I use a Babyliss iStubble for the times I can't be bothered to crack out the safety razor. It's a terrible name but a good product. You can adjust the length by increments of 0.2 millimetre. Past about 2mm it's a pain though as you have to use it in line with the grain to get it to trim level.

I also use this one and it's not bad. The first time I used it I accidentally completely removed a rather wide stripe of beard.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Wahl Lithium ion all the way for me

There's a new one

It's being advertised heavily on tv

Is it called one blade

Made by Phillips

Various offers in supermarkets

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    Can't beat the Remington Barba beard trimmer,

I have used much more expensive ones and this is the one I prefer most,

It is on offer on Amazon today.

+1 I've had one of these for a couple of years, excellent bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post

That's also the one I use. Pretty good, I reckon.

Go with Wahl. You won't regret it.

Craftsman
    Another Wahl user I've only ever used the higher end mains ones and more than happy with them I think I've only bought two units in the last 30 years.

Craftsman
    Some Philips electric that was on offer at boots and scissors to trim the tash and beard.
    If im going all out then i will use a shavette to tidy up and give a good finish round the edges.

Some days its a pain but i can normally get away with a trim once fortnight

Master
    I've had 2 of the Babyliss iStubble shavers and neither has lasted more than a year. Admittedly when they did work I found them very good. Currently using a Wahl trimmer which is ok and working well but doesn't have the easy adjustment like the iStubble.

Master
    Chaps

Forget beard trimmers, they are naff. You get the best results with a good pair of scissors and I have 3 pairs, one for hair, one for beard and one for mustache.

They last forever and the awkward bits are easier cut with scissors.

Here are some from Amazon

http://www.prosharp.co.uk/products.a...rand_name=Dovo

Regards

Mick

Master
    I shelled out for the Babyliss istubble about 5 years back, never got on with the thing at all, within a month or two I threw it in a draw (where it remains) and bought a Wahl one, this is still going strong about 4 years later and at half the cost of the istubble.

Master
    I’d recommend that the OP bother his arse and use the search function…!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...recommendation

Master
    Remington Barba

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    I’d recommend that the OP bother his arse and use the search function…!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...recommendation

I'd recommend that you bother your arse before posting. You might have seen:

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    A search will reveal quite a few threads on the topic, like this one:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=beard+trimmer

Wahl would still be my recommendation. Having said that, a couple of weeks ago I picked up one of these Philips Oneblades:

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-pe/oneb...plid|&trackid=

It's surprisingly good. I have had full size trimmers that have not done as good a job - there is an excellent blade on this thing. Worth a try - Boots have them on a special offer. I imagine that the main profit on these will come from replacement blades, which will need replaced much more than the blade on a "normal" trimmer.

This: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-K...dp/B003813A7S/

I clip my hair once a week and the beard twice (most weeks). Have had it for 3 years and works like on day one.

Thanks to everyone who posted helpful replies!

I am heading into town at lunch and will be stopping by the 'big Boots' and John Lewis to check out the Remington in particular.

Thanks again :)

UPDATE

Went with the Remington Barba in the end. Felt reasonably well built and at £25 was a bargain.

Thanks again everyone!
    Last edited by j0hnbarker; 26th August 2016 at 16:55.

Master
    This one gets good reviews
    Remington MB320C
    By Mr P Walters - 17 Mar. 2015
    Amazon Verified Purchase
    My missus broke my last electric razor after she went at her bush like a proper sheep shearing champion.

This is it's replacement, so far so good. My face is trim and the missus has regrown her dedication to the australian outback.
    494 of 539 people found this review helpful

As other have already mentioned, just go with what the professionals use - a Wahl Sterling.

I've tried most of the domestic brands and they are all far inferior.

Apprentice
    You cannot have a beard without using oils/balms (and regular brushing). I use a mixture from a small local coiffure who have been making them at home from the past 100 years or so. I went to several till I found out what suited me best, for example I used a more rigid one once and it felt like I was carrying a cement replica on my beard, or one was too wet and it curled up my beard.

If you don't have such a place or someone near you to give you advice or try out different things till you find the right mixture you can do some research and order from amazon what you feel might be best.

Also do lightly oil your beard once a week for a few hours and scramble it in such a way that the pores are open and you can actually feel the air on the skin, then wash it off with a beard balsam instead of soap/shampoo etc as it makes it too dry and hard.

I just use a rechargeable set of Wahl clippers?,Here is the article from which I learned about them https://www.mistershaver.com/7-best-...mmers-reviews/ They are about 1" wide and that's what I use to trim my mustache and goatee. Other than keeping them neatly trimmed I don't do anything special to them.I like to watch this video)
    Last edited by Eden; 7th September 2018 at 10:51.

I’m keen to find a good beard trimmer, as opposed to a stubble trimmer - I have a couple of Philips beard trimmers which make a pretty poor job of evening out 3 weeks growth or so. I have a one shave which I use to trim the neck and the odd stray cheek hair but even the longest guard leaves you with George Michael stubble as opposed to a proper beard. I can’t imagine how complicated the scissors option would be as I’m a bit cack-handed. Is the remington Barba worth a go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m keen to find a good beard trimmer, as opposed to a stubble trimmer - I have a couple of Philips beard trimmers which make a pretty poor job of evening out 3 weeks growth or so. I have a one shave which I use to trim the neck and the odd stray cheek hair but even the longest guard leaves you with George Michael stubble as opposed to a proper beard. I can’t imagine how complicated the scissors option would be as I’m a bit cack-handed. Is the remington Barba worth a go?

Bit of thread resurrection. I started this 2 years ago and went with the Barba. Still going strong after 2 years and multiple trims.

Glad I bought it and for £25 I think it was money well spent. Doesn't take long to get the hang of how to trim versus how you use and electric razor.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post

I've been through several different Phillips, Remington and babyliss models and for beard & stubble this one has by far been my favourite so far:

http://www.allbeauty.com/gb/en/11857...RoC5D0QAvD_BwE

Some Philips models have a vacuum cleaner built in to catch the trimmings in a little box. It’s a game changer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I've been through several different Phillips, Remington and babyliss models and for beard & stubble this one has by far been my favourite so far:

http://www.allbeauty.com/gb/en/11857...RoC5D0QAvD_BwE
    Same one I use on my stubble. Been using it every second or third day for about two years now.... seems okay and even coped with the odd drop into the bathroom basin.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    Some Philips models have a vacuum cleaner built in to catch the trimmings in a little box. It’s a game changer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I need to find one of these!

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I need to find one of these!
    Turns out my new one is a Remington. The battery life is great as well.

Remington Vacuum Beard and Stubble Trimmer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0788BN7..._7vrKBb25J6S1X

If you want one that'll last forever, get a Wahl corded. There's a reason you see them in virtually every hairdresser/barber.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    Turns out my new one is a Remington. The battery life is great as well.

Remington Vacuum Beard and Stubble Trimmer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0788BN7..._7vrKBb25J6S1X
    I haven't had the best experience with Remington trimmers in the past, but may give them another chance

Check out the Panasonic. The battery is very good as is the adjustment control.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche