closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch ramblings and disillusion

Watch ramblings and disillusion

For about 16 years I only had one watch, a cheap quartz Rotary ‘dress’ watch, which I happily wore for everything from the office to gardening to holidays until it literally fell apart.

In the six years since then I have probably owned about sixty watches in total, from Casios and Pulsars and Seikos, through Tissot, CWC, Hamilton, Tag, to several pre-owned and new Omega and Rolex.

With the exception of the Sinn 556i and 356, and the Seiko Alpinist Sarb017, which I’ve yet to own, I’ve tried pretty much all of the watches I’m interested in.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t want or need a collection. I decided on another Submariner as my ‘one watch’, as I missed my previous Submariner (particularly the glidelock) and the Submariner seemed a good choice as it usually comes ahead in the 'which one watch' threads.

I was lucky enough to buy a new Rolex Submariner Date from the AD recently, but I have been feeling very ‘meh’ about the watch since then. I know it’s only a watch, but for the money it costs to buy a new Submariner Date I want to feel more than ‘meh’.

The fact that I’m feeling this way about such a recent and expensive planned purchase is making me question whether I should just give up on watches, or at least on ‘expensive’ watches. I don’t mind feeling ambivalent about a £500 watch but I really need to feel a bit more enthusiasm for a watch when it costs £5700. I enjoyed my previous Submariner Date (the exact same model) more than this one, so I know something has changed in my attitude to watches, and for the sake of my sanity and my bank account I want to put an end to the constant buying and selling, and the mounting losses.

I’m thinking about trying a Sarb035, Sarb017, Sinn 556i, or Hamilton Khaki Field 38mm to see if I can re-kindle my enthusiasm for watches, or if not to serve as a reasonable one and only ‘exit watch’. Of these, the Sarb017 or Sinn 556i are the front-runners.

I’d be interested in any thoughts or suggestions.

My (relatively modest) collection changes all of the time as I churn though various pieces all the time.

Its all good part of the fun and interest.

I will probably put another one on SC later on tonight.

556 is lovely. Really simple and well put together.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    For some people there's something special about their first Submariner (whichever version) that once sold then later replaced even with an identical one, it's just not the same thing.

I'm not that sure as I've never sold mine, as it was the first reasonable watch I bought with my first proper wage way back when, it and me have come a long way together since.

But I've heard the former a few times from Submariner owners, funnily no other Rolex model 'did' the same thing for them

I think you'd be underwhelmed at the SARB's and a little more overwhelmed with the 556i.

I recently acquired a Sarb017 and for me it was a game changer. It's so well made that spending ££££ on a watch now seems a bit crazy. I love the size, the case and the green sunburst dial. It's also really relaxing to wear as it's not too expensive and has 200m water resistance. Lots of strap options with the 20mm lugs too, looks great on a perlon in the summer and a leather strap in winter.

I also ordered a 556i anthracite LE but returned it unworn as it just didn't really impress me in the metal and I thought the hands looked too short. If you're looking for a 'one watch' solution then there's no doubt that the 556 is more versatile though.

Master
    I love watches and have done for 20 years I guess, but I have certainly gone through 'watch disillusion' if that's the right phrase myself two or three times, where for a period of weeks or months I seem to lose interest and think it's just an expensive hobby . . . . . . . It never lasts and if anything comes back with a vengeance

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I think you'd be underwhelmed at the SARB's and a little more overwhelmed with the 556i.
    That's funny, I had the opposite experience!

I'm not a collector either and I'm down to 2 watches now and one of those is going on SC shortly. I bought a brand new SubC Date recently as my 'one watch' but I actually ended up taking it back to the AD after 5 days for a full refund. I found it too large, shouty and blingy plus the bezel was miss aligned which, for a brand new £5.7k watch is not acceptable. Like you, I found it meh and very underwhelming. I downsized to a mint 114270 and I couldn't be happier.

The Sinn 556i looks like a Explorer wannabe
    The sarb035 looks like a Datejust wannabe
    The sarb017 is a beaut. I'm going to get one!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    The Sinn 556i looks like a Explorer wannabe
    The sarb035 looks like a Datejust wannabe
    The sarb017 is a beaut. I'm going to get one!
    I think you may be confusing the issue with the 556a. The 556i look nowt like an Explorer.
    As for your 035/datejust comparo, that's more than a little way off too I think.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    That's funny, I had the opposite experience!
    Well it's all personal isn't it. ( and I'm probably a Seiko fanboy ) !
    I've owned all 3 and that was my opinion.

I think you may be confusing the issue with the 556a. The 556i look nowt like an Explorer.
    As for your 035/datejust comparo, that's more than a little way off too I think.....
    Now I look again at the 556a and 556i, I get more IWC pilot vibes.

I stand by my 035/datejust statement :)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Now I look again at the 556a and 556i, I get more IWC pilot vibes.

I stand by my 035/datejust statement :)
    I beg to differ....still....

I suppose you could suggest all watches bear some similarity. Hands, Dial, Case etc
    This could run and run........

I beg to differ....still....

I suppose you could suggest all watches bear some similarity. Hands, Dial, Case etc
    This could run and run........
    Haha, ok. Perhaps I haven't gained that eye for detail yet. I've only just started branching out my tastes to other brands outside of rolex and JLC.

^^Fair comment haha

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    I was lucky enough to buy a new Rolex Submariner Date from the AD recently, but I have been feeling very ‘meh’ about the watch since then. I know it’s only a watch, but for the money it costs to buy a new Submariner Date I want to feel more than ‘meh’.

The fact that I’m feeling this way about such a recent and expensive planned purchase is making me question whether I should just give up on watches, or at least on ‘expensive’ watches. I don’t mind feeling ambivalent about a £500 watch but I really need to feel a bit more enthusiasm for a watch when it costs £5700. I enjoyed my previous Submariner Date (the exact same model) more than this one, so I know something has changed in my attitude to watches, and for the sake of my sanity and my bank account I want to put an end to the constant buying and selling, and the mounting losses.

I’m thinking about trying a Sarb035, Sarb017, Sinn 556i, or Hamilton Khaki Field 38mm to see if I can re-kindle my enthusiasm for watches, or if not to serve as a reasonable one and only ‘exit watch’. Of these, the Sarb017 or Sinn 556i are the front-runners.

I’d be interested in any thoughts or suggestions.
    The reason you feel "meh" about the watch is not due to the watch. The reason is how the human mind works. People have an endless capacity to feel enthusiastic, optimistic and positive about something that they do not have. Once they acquire it the luster very quickly wears off. We will automatically forget the thing and start looking for the next great thing. The feeling that we really like is associated with anticipation. Once you have acquired the item there is no more anticipation. (People on this forum have been known to flip watches they have purchased, even before they have been delivered to them.)

Please forget the watches that you listed. They are quite uninteresting and unremarkable and you will realize that the second you have paid for one (before you even have it in your hands). I can not see how they can possibly rekindle any enthusiasm. Keep your sub with the aim of learning to appreciate it, not just as a watch but as something you wear through good times and bad. 10 or 20 years from now I think you will value that watch more and you will not feel the slightest bit "meh" about it.
    Last edited by GrandS; 25th August 2016 at 00:08.

Grand Master
    I think there's a fundamental point here, that's the limited pleasure and satisfaction that owning ANY watch can give. In many cases the sense of pleasure and satisfaction falls short of the buyer's expectation so they sell the watch and buy another.......... They continue to cling to the premise , believing there's a certain watch out there that will give them the satisfaction and pleasure they're seeking . This usually involves buying something expensive that they can barely afford.

The simple truth is staring them in the face but they can't see it. Basically, watch ownership cannot provide what they're looking for. Same logic applies to cars; when we're young we often believe that some fancy ( unattainable) car will elevate our lives to a new level if only we can find a way to own it; most of us see through this illusion in later life and realise it was like chasing the end of the rainbow.

I'm not a fan of amateur psychology but I think GrandS has hit the nail on the head with his post.

As a general rule I don't buy something I've already owned again, the experience rarely lives up to the expectation.

The mistake many people make with watches is to sell a watch they like in order to fund purchase of another that they think they'd prefer to own. This rarely ends well so the flipping continues. It's far better to build a collection of watches but this takes time and money to do; prices have reached a level that makes it far more difficult than it was in the past, which is a shame. Buying secondhand is the way to do it, but for many the experience of buying new is all part of the attraction........ and that's another short lived pleasure!

Paul

Master
    Good points. I think the problem with someone who's experienced many watches and knows a thing or two about watches to then go out and buy a submariner is that the Rolex Submariner, particularly a modern one is usually a decision made by the "brain" and not by the "heart". Hence your lack of enthusiasm for this piece. Typically people will go through a variety of watches then, get tired of everything, chase the illusive "1 watch" and analyse the hell out of things and realise that the Rolex Submariner is the BEST choice, classic looks, solid build quality, solid value retention, solid after service.

But then its like choosing a woman, a woman who looks nice, cooks well, dresses well, has a good job etc may not be the BEST for you. Maybe you need something more etc

I always go with my heart now, sure I do think about residuals to an extent but always go for the watch that sings to you and it doesnt have to be an expensive one. I recently acquired a Seiko SKX007 and am so surprised at how much enjoyment i get from this piece that cost me £120.00. And this is coming from someone who owns a Lange Sohne 1815 Chronograph!!

Watches are a private pleasure to me. I don’t enjoy the routine of purchasing but rather the reasoning which differentiates a chosen watch, the 'Why'. Achieving best match to my expectations is not unlike locating the elusive key to a walled garden, or something. The rigour of this exercise improves the odds that it might prove to have some enduring attributes, or so I tell myself.

Their potential for longevity and the nature of the engagement brought about by wearing them are two qualities which set watches apart. Exploitation of these rich seams, requires them to kept and worn without necessarily being aware of them. It seems to me that wearing a watch on probation and ever fearful of scratches, amounts to no more than paying for the privilege of babysitting.

Apprentice
    I can see the attraction of the Sinn 556i. Looks good on different straps too for day to day wear.

I also agree with some of the previous posts about taking pleasure in owning a watch for a while & taking it out on a few adventures. Subs look great under water on holiday!

Master
    There may be a touch of familiarity breeding contempt here. Having been through many watches, you've reminded yourself that they are just watches in the end. The whole process works - when it does - because as beautiful objects they appear to be more than just a useful bits of metal. Building them up in your mind, you look forward to finally owning a particularly unattainable one. Rarity and eye watering price fans the flames. When you finally get your hands on it you feel elated and rewarded with a huge sense of achievement - here is your passport to the new and glamorous world shown in the marketing! Here is a medal for your outstanding achievements! This feeling will most likely wear off, but the process can actually work and you may walk taller with your new watch, for a while. But repeat the process enough times, with watches that are on a similar level, and it may become less exciting with each repeat. The stakes must be higher, the price and rarity greater. A repeat certainly won't do it.

Perhaps the solution is to start again, and wait until you see something that reminds you what started it all for you, something that appears beautiful, desirable, perhaps a little magical - and then don't expect much more from it that that. In all honesty though, I doubt the watch that achieves that would be a current sub date, unless you'd spent years craving one.

Master
    Maybe don't try too hard to keep to the one watch by definition logging onto this site suggests a greater interest than usual in timepieces you may therefore not be a one watch guy.
    Probably not helpful at all but here's what I'd do.
    1: review the literal sea of submariners for sale and crack your deal.
    2: Buy a Hammie field watch they are literally cheap as chips grey. They are pretty robust with some WR so will do for most days out, cycling , walking swimming etc.
    3: Buy a lovely vintage dress watch or maybe the dress / sports cross over like the 60's Longine Admirals or the Seamasters

Reckon you've got bases covered

Thank you guys, great personal insights. I agree with most of you.

Journeyman
    If you really want to experience that woke up laughing feeling a la Robert Palmer...get yourself three Casio amw 320 c's aka Casio Arnie. Of course they must be circa 1992 proper japanese made, one black dial one champagne and one a custom. One on rubber one nato one bracelet. You can even try leather but not really classy. But take your time, minters are what you desire. If you are good you will have change from £100 and you will wake up every morning with that inner warmth without a spoonful of porridge passing your lips. When you change the rules on what controls you. You change the rules on what you can control. Buy some gold with the rest of your stash.