closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Matt Dial Patina Love

Matt Dial Patina Love

Let's see all the love for these beauties... It's been a long winding road but nothing compares to a Triple Six IMO. Vintage looks with everyday wearability.

I always prefered the whiter, creamier plots over the darker yellow through to brown shades. This fellow is long gone now:

photo host

Master
    The second one pic 3 looks lovely and nicely aged, the first one pics 1&2 just looks knackered even water damaged. Guess I'm not really a patina guy

Can't compete with those first two, but here's my 1665...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    The second one pic 3 looks lovely and nicely aged, the first one pics 1&2 just looks knackered even water damaged. Guess I'm not really a patina guy
    Dial looks good to me, some Rolex sports watches circa 1978 to 1983 were prone to corrosion on the hands and this is what you are seeing on these hands, often seen on 5513's from the same period. They are often swapped out for clean replacements, although I have never bothered as at true scale it is not particularly noticeable and I prefer original rather than pretend original, but each to there own. I hope the photos of the triple six haven't upset you too much.

My DRSD.

Master
    Here's my 83 16800

Master
    The process has just started on my lovely 79090. It'll be nice to watch it develop

Matt Dial Patina Love

Can't compete with some of the examples on here but here are a couple of my humble 5513 and 1665

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I've a 1986 '666 SD but it's not matte dial. But a matte dial one is very much on my future list.

Nice pics everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I always prefered the whiter, creamier plots over the darker yellow through to brown shades. This fellow is long gone now:

photo host
    My Grail - sigh...

Craftsman
    1980 16800

Quote Originally Posted by shyewei View Post
    My Grail - sigh...
    It's only a grail until you own one, then it becomes like any other watch and can fall victim to flipping - just like this one did.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    I hope the photos of the triple six haven't upset you too much.
    Not at all, like I mentioned before I guess it's just not for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Not at all, like I mentioned before I guess it's just not for me.
    ok - thanks for letting us know

Master

Type 5 5513 Maxi 1984

last of the maxis with obligatory tarnished hands

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Let's see all the love for these beauties... It's been a long winding road but nothing compares to a Triple Six IMO. Vintage looks with everyday wearability.
    Very nice looking SD!

Craftsman
    Here is my 16750 with a rather nice blueberry / raspberry bezel.

Craftsman
    Here is my 16750

Last edited by Yoda; 23rd August 2016 at 16:11.

Quote Originally Posted by clemenry View Post
    Can't compete with some of the examples on here but here are a couple of my humble 5513 and 1665

A fair few grails on this post! Maybe something for the distant future....

I really like the ones with the domed crystal but am I right in saying that it would be unwise to expose them to water?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by u35rm8 View Post
    A fair few grails on this post! Maybe something for the distant future....

I really like the ones with the domed crystal but am I right in saying that it would be unwise to expose them to water?
    If pressure tested and passed ok there shouldn't be any problem............................ but, given that some of these watches are high value it might not be the best idea to expose say a DRSD to a swimming/diving environment, just in case. General wear is fine and I have a Rolex plexi watch on my wrist every day without any problems. Time for a personal admission though, I used to collect 1980's ish sapphire crystal subs and the like and was never comfortable taking them for a dip, I know its daft and the water proofing is central to function of these watches but I just couldn't do it - and still don't !

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    If pressure tested and passed ok there shouldn't be any problem............................ but, given that some of these watches are high value it might not be the best idea to expose say a DRSD to a swimming/diving environment, just in case. General wear is fine and I have a Rolex plexi watch on my wrist every day without any problems. Time for a personal admission though, I used to collect 1980's ish sapphire crystal subs and the like and was never comfortable taking them for a dip, I know its daft and the water proofing is central to function of these watches but I just couldn't do it - and still don't !
    Thanks for the insight and completely understandable! I guess as you say they would be more appropriate in a collection rather than as a single do it all watch. Its a shame when their value becomes too expensive to wear them for what they were made for. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by u35rm8 View Post
    Thanks for the insight and completely understandable! I guess as you say they would be more appropriate in a collection rather than as a single do it all watch. Its a shame when their value becomes too expensive to wear them for what they were made for. :-(
    It is down to risk. The photo I posted earlier of the Mark 3 DRSD with a Superdome crystal - it passed pressure and water testing to 8 bar (for those who understand that). The watchmaker who fitted it said it was great for everyday use, sweat, rain, humidity etc - but do not swim in it.

Now, probably 70% to 80% of the value of that watch is in the dial. If anything fails in the pool or in the sea like the crown or the crystal the loss is huge and replacement is extremely difficult. It is the owners call. A few hardy souls on here do not seem to worry about about such things and subject their prized possessions to things that others wouldn't.

I have always taken the view that a 40 year old watch is not expected to perform like a new one and if you want a watch to go swimming or diving in then buy a new one and wear the 40 year old watch in the bar later.

Here is my Swiss only Ranger

Some beauties here....

Master
    Lots of love ..............

Certain charm to these vintage pieces over modern, although I love both, vintage and modern

Craftsman
    A little patina 

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matdaytona View Post
    A little patina 
    That's a god of a watch. What's the story of the lines on the plexi ?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matdaytona View Post
    A little patina 
    Come on Mat a 20 grand watch you could at least give it a wipe with a clean cloth, mine says buck up ! lol

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Come on Mat a 20 grand watch you could at least give it a wipe with a clean cloth, mine says buck up ! lol
    Lol the lines are a reflection of the blinds in my office didn't notice when I took the pic but have been wearing as a daily so it wouldn't surprise me to have a little more wabi 