closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yachtmaster dilemma

Yachtmaster dilemma

Popped into my local Rolex AD in Exeter and tried on a couple Yachtmasters, the rose gold, the steel and a yachtmaster 2. I am impressed and more importantly the girlfriend was too.
    The heft of the everose is discernible over my sub even on a rubber strap/bracelet hybrid, just gorgeous , we both sat there in awe, but at list I just can't commit yet.
    Next up was a steel yachtmaster with platinum dial, very nice but no blue to compare it with.
    Then the yachtmaster 2, another stunner. All in some very beautiful watches and to cap it all we tried a 36mm bi metal datejust for the girlfriend, I thought her mint 1601 she was wearing was a beauty but the new one just made her coo with delight.
    So now the thinking and research starts, which one. I am leaning to the everose with black bezel, but do find the "2" so striking, although an hour or so later just wonder if maybe the "2" is, I don't know maybe a tiny bit over the top? Just not as balanced on the slim bracelet Rolex use, but still a contender. The plain steel is nice but just pales next to the others.
    The rub is to get either the everose or "2" I am going to have to move a few, and has been discussed on other threads I have been thinking along those lines, but dammit I like them all, but I can't have my cake and eat it, decisions decisions

Have a chat with Burnsey when he's back as he's had/has a YM2 and has just bought his wife the everose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Have a chat with Burnsey when he's back as he's had/has a YM2 and has just bought his wife the everose.
    I have read his thread on the yachtmaster with great interest, as an aside is a discount achievable from a Rolex AD, also when I mentioned the imminent price increase, he said no news yet but this year more than likely.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The everose YM is one of my favourite models. It's superb.
    YM2 not so much.

Blog Entries
    I must say the everrose YM is a stunning piece. It is definitely on my radar, but I'd need to liquidate most of the other Rolex to get it.

The YM Everose Basel release (on bracelet) is on my radar but not at £9350 list!!

I tried on the grey rhodium dial steel / platinum bezel version today and was very impressed. The light blue blue highlights look very classy. Both this and the blue dial versions are streets ahead of the silver platinum dial, which is just too monochrome.

That said, the rose gold model is a very appealing package if you have the right skin tone to pull off the colour.

IMO the yachtmaster 2 is just too gimmicky.

Master
    mmmmm, Yachtmaster. Just putting mine on to go out for dinner in.

I have a Yachtmaster 2 S/S and have had the Everose when it first came out. They both get noticed a lot, the YM2 is my favorite as I sold the Everose (even the larger size felt a bit small), the YM2 gets a complete battering I use it for racing as it is designed for

If you don't get a discount walk away they will come running after you spending that sort of money if necessary remind them of prices on the second hand market, I didn't pay anywhere near list for mine. I presume the dealer is MS? just go to Plymouth and ask then for one they will get it sent down from Exeter if they haven't got one and you will get a discount, you just need to ask.

Yes it was MS, we didn't ask for a discount but I did discuss that I would probaly move on my other Rolex to partially fund it, then he mentioned the two years interest free.
    I might drop back in next week with my sub and get, see if we could strike a deal, do they do trade ins??
    From what I can find I won't be able to get a discount and interest free together, is that right??

Any comparison Shots of the new Grey against the old Platinum dial? I love that old one. I've never seen a watch with a dial quite like it.

Journeyman
    The YM blue face is beautiful and the rose gold with oysterflex is stunning too!! I'm not a gold fan but would get if I could afford. The YM2, was looking at it today too fussy for me I would regret it for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the Everose, and it's a brilliant watch. I rarely wear much else these days to be honest. I really do fancy the platinum dial and blue second hand version though. They had one in the Bond Street AD, and it looked awesome on.

Apprentice
    A friend of mine had the platinum bezel blue dial model (same as IanBear's photo below). Very nice! The Everose on the black strap seems a real head turner in the larger size too. I've seen them around for approx. £16500 and I wanted to ask how everyone feels about the price for the Everose in general?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomDavoren View Post
    Any comparison Shots of the new Grey against the old Platinum dial? I love that old one. I've never seen a watch with a dial quite like it.
    The Omega GSOTM also has a platinum dial with a similar finish

The everrose and YM2 are too flashy for my likings. I've been on the lookout for a YM for sometime now - I still can't decide between the blue and platinum dial. As a daily beater I think the platinum would go with more, especially as I tend to wear a lot of black.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TomDavoren View Post
    This is a thorough (& terrifying) dissection of a YM. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post

Very nice, I had one when they first came out and regret selling it, I just wish Rolex did a 42mm version of it and IMHO it would be perfect.

Banned
    I've had a variety.

Old style platinum dial - superb daily wearer, which flies massively under the radar. Uncomparably comfortable too. PCL's are a pain, as it's a watch which suits being pristine.

Steel YMII - probably my favourite ever watch - Yes it has a useless complication, but it's still cool. Yes it's brash, but overall it just works.

Rose Gold - Still find this only wearable dependant on your skin tone to be honest, but works well as a unisex watch and the strap is something else.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Very nice, I had one when they first came out and regret selling it, I just wish Rolex did a 42mm version of it and IMHO it would be perfect.
    As you can see, I have diddy wrists, and so 40mm is perfect for me, especially with the curved lugs on the case and slim profile. A sub looks too big on my wrist with the raised caseback and flat case. By far the most comfortable of the sports rolexes I have tried on my wrist, with maybe the EXP1 a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I've had a variety.

Old style platinum dial - superb daily wearer, which flies massively under the radar. Uncomparably comfortable too. PCL's are a pain, as it's a watch which suits being pristine.

Steel YMII - probably my favourite ever watch - Yes it has a useless complication, but it's still cool. Yes it's brash, but overall it just works.

Rose Gold - Still find this only wearable dependant on your skin tone to be honest, but works well as a unisex watch and the strap is something else.
    I have read your post on the YM2 and yes i think it is brash and shouty, but god its a gorgeous piece. I get what you say about the rose gold, but again its just downright lovely, thing that concerns me about either is
    1/ ym2 is huge and loud but its going to be easier to move on if i want to change.
    2/ RG, the strap/bracelet is a stumbling block for me although a small one, but if i chose to move it on the strap is going to be a limiting factor, how much do they cost?
    So i am starting to lean towards the ym2, funnily enough i spotted someone wearing one about 2 hours before i went into the ADs, and didnt think it looked so big.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I have read your post on the YM2 and yes i think it is brash and shouty, but god its a gorgeous piece. I get what you say about the rose gold, but again its just downright lovely, thing that concerns me about either is
    1/ ym2 is huge and loud but its going to be easier to move on if i want to change.
    2/ RG, the strap/bracelet is a stumbling block for me although a small one, but if i chose to move it on the strap is going to be a limiting factor, how much do they cost?
    So i am starting to lean towards the ym2, funnily enough i spotted someone wearing one about 2 hours before i went into the ADs, and didnt think it looked so big.
    The YMII is very saleable, just not particularly on here. I got back my grey purchase price after six months of ownership. I've just agreed to buy one back and the excercise will end up costing me £2k - yes, I know...

The lugs curve downwards, like its predecessor, so although 44mm, it wears superbly.

I'm my to sure what you mean in respect of the RG strap. That is how the watch needs to be worn, without a doubt, so if you don't fancy that, I'd not bother.

By limiting factor, i mean i have a fairly big wrist so anybody else would probaly have to buy a new strap. It looks superb and i love the look but just unsure because of that.

Banned
    By limiting factor, i mean i have a fairly big wrist so anybody else would probaly have to buy a new strap. It looks superb and i love the look but just unsure because of that.
    The strap comes in different size options Neil. Mine is perfect on wifey, but really just too small for me. I would buy one to suit you and leave to the next person to purchase if it doesn't fit them, which is perfectly acceptable. I imagine it won't be a cheap thing though.

Craftsman

I've the exact same one. It's my dress watch or wedding watch. My Nautilus and my Royal Oak are in rotation as daily wearers and my Explorer 1 is my all weather watch. But it's the Yachtmaster which is worn on special events.

I love my YM2 and yes it gets used for timing the start of my feeble attempt at yacht racing although we were second in our championship this year ⛵️⛵️⛵️

Think I have too many special occasion watches, so am trying to wear them daily. I get away with the sub as nobody notices, the bi metal gets too much negative attention at work as some people use the old phrase " oh if you can afford that I don't need to pay you as much, this week"
    But weekends are fair game, so a ym2 would be a weekender. But oh my what a beauty it would be.
    The rose gold would be the same tho, and another beaut.
    Burnsey you got from a grey, I see that their prices sort of workout to be about 10-15% off list, is that not achievable at an AD?

Banned
    Burnsey you got from a grey, I see that their prices sort of workout to be about 10-15% off list, is that not achievable at an AD?
    I paid £9,800 n an RRP of £12,500.

Following Brexit, the cheapest grey I can find is just under £12k.

Whatever many say, the steel is a popular model and I couldn't find an AD willing to discount at all.

I see used sellers around £10k though.

Grand Master
    some people use the old phrase " oh if you can afford that I don't need to pay you as much, this week"
    Tell them to get f***ed........it's your business what you spend your money on.

Tales like this make me realise how much I miss work

Paul

I recently picked up the rose on rubber.

It really is a lively thing. Surprisingly subtle dilute to rubber and black bezel. I find it v classy for a gold sports watch. Personal preference but I would have this all day over a full gold bezel and bracelet.

Anyway nice problem to have.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by joethetoe View Post
    I recently picked up the rose on rubber.

It really is a lively thing. Surprisingly subtle dilute to rubber and black bezel. I find it v classy for a gold sports watch. Personal preference but I would have this all day over a full gold bezel and bracelet.

Anyway nice problem to have.

Cheers
    Those are beautiful, I was hoping to buy one when I flew out to NYC yesterday but they only had the mid seize version, if they had the 40mm model I would have bought it in a heartbeat. The YM in general is very under appreciated IMHO and this model might be the one that changes it, I'm told there are long waiting lists for these Everose models now.

Journeyman
    I think one of the best features of the rose gold is the fact the strap is black. If on a rose gold bracelet it would look (well not to my taste) too much. The black along with the matt black on the bezel is superb.

Does the blue dial version come with a steel bezel or only platinum? Given a watch is meant to be worn, a £1,500 replacement makes it pretty impractical.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Does the blue dial version come with a steel bezel or only platinum? Given a watch is meant to be worn, a £1,500 replacement makes it pretty impractical.
    Platinum only. The sapphire is slightly more raised from the bezel than on a sub or GMT, so how some people bash them about the way they do, goodness only knows. Nowadays a ceramic bezel replacement is the best part of a grand too though...

Banned
    I wore my platinum dial/bezel version daily for some time and yes it marked, but I think people are over exaggerating the 'damage'.

I have been wearing a white gold watch now daily for a few months and it's battered to be honest, but the white gold is case, bezel, clasp, the works, so it's evenly battered, so it works.

A service will deal with marks, so once you accept they happen, it takes the concern away and you can enjoy your watch.

Platinum only. The sapphire is slightly more raised from the bezel than on a sub or GMT, so how some people bash them about the way they do, goodness only knows. Nowadays a ceramic bezel replacement is the best part of a grand too though...
    Can confirm, as soon as I put an expensive watch on my wrist it becomes magnetic to lamp posts, door frames etc.

It's these things I'm petrified of the most though :

Thanks Ian. Time to find one and try it on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    YM rose black everytime. YM2 far too blingy IMO
    Never understand the 'blingy' comment.

A watch is as much as a piece of jewellery as it is a time telling instrument, or we'd all wear F-91's.

As an aside, I've just seen an exceptionally fit young woman sporting a yellow gold YMII and it looked uber cool.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post

It's these things I'm petrified of the most though :

A finger?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    A finger?
    If it was attached to Alex I'd be petrified too.

OMG i have only gone and done it!! went back to Michael Spiers in Exeter today to have another look at the Yachtmasters. The Everose sold yesterday, phew saved me a bundle. But the YM2 was still in the window, tried that and a yellow gold Skydweller and an Everose Daytona, how tiny is the Daytona in comparison, the Skydweller is a tad lardy i felt, then out came a dssd, that is a whopper, but i am dissapointed to say too big height wise for me so a resounding no to that, but damn the YM2 just shouted, oi over here mate, so a deposit is paid at a good price, excellent service from them all. The girlfriend was impressed. So now the cull starts.

OMG i have only gone and done it!! went back to Michael Spiers in Exeter today to have another look at the Yachtmasters. The Everose sold yesterday, phew saved me a bundle. But the YM2 was still in the window, tried that and a yellow gold Skydweller and an Everose Daytona, how tiny is the Daytona in comparison, the Skydweller is a tad lardy i felt, then out came a dssd, that is a whopper, but i am dissapointed to say too big height wise for me so a resounding no to that, but damn the YM2 just shouted, oi over here mate, so a deposit is paid at a good price, excellent service from them all. The girlfriend was impressed. So now the cull starts.
    Good decision, M Spires give great customer service and nothing is ever a problem

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by legin View Post
    Good decision, M Spires give great customer service and nothing is ever a problem
    Congrats op, that looks stunning.
    I can also vouch for Michael Spiers customer service at their Truro site. Really knowledgable and helpful staff.

^^^
    I recently visited the Truro branch and enjoyed a long chat with David. A very knowledgeable chap who knew his watches. Made a love.y change from the normal sales person.

Congratulations to Neil on his new addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    ^^^
    I recently visited the Truro branch and enjoyed a long chat with David. A very knowledgeable chap who knew his watches. Made a love.y change from the normal sales person.

Congratulations to Neil on his new addition.
    I called intp Spires today and was amazed by the lack of Rolex's on display, David said that they are waiting for stock but not expected until after the price increase

Quote Originally Posted by legin View Post
    I called intp Spires today and was amazed by the lack of Rolex's on display, David said that they are waiting for stock but not expected until after the price increase
    Exactly the same experience with my AD. She sent me a photo of the stock they have in-store and not much going on at all. Only DJs. What's worse is that the cabinet had some gaps in it, which, according to her, is unprecedented, certainly never experienced in the many years she's been working for WoS. Really, really dry in stock.

Wonder what's going on at Rolex?!
    Last edited by Lovewatches108; 7th September 2016 at 10:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovewatches108 View Post
    Exactly the same experience with my AD. She sent me a photo of the stock they have in-store and not much going on at all. Only DJs. What's worse is that the cabinet had some gaps in it, which, according to her, is unprecedented, certainly never experienced in the many years she's been working for WoS. Really, really dry in stock.

Wonder what's going on at Rolex?!
    It's the price increase, why send out stock now when you can make an extra 10% on it in a couple of weeks. Just basic profiteering nice one Rolex

Thoroughly pointless complication for most folk-
    But it looks wicked- I've always thought they look the business......congratulations
    Far better than another boring Submariner etc etc etc

The white dial and blue bezel just work spot on......

Journeyman
    Boring submariner etc is just your opinion. I prefer the submariner to the YM2 but I wouldn't bad mouth it on the forum. Congrats to Neil on his new watch.