closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC vs MWC

CWC vs MWC

Hi. Help and advice please. I recently bought a CWC G10 to use for work (firefighter) as I got sick of having to clean and polish my 20+ yr old, much cherished, and now quite valuable Rolex Datejust. It was getting too many dings and scratches. The CWC is an excellent watch for the money and I now want to buy my 11yr old son one for his birthday.I've seen some "unissued" MWC G10s on Ebay at @ half retail price , and even at retail they are @£10 less than CWC. Are MWC as robust, well made and "weighty" as CWC ? Even if they aren't are they still worth @ £20-25? As a newbie I look forward to your advice. And by the way, the BUG has bitten me and I fear MANY more watches are coming this way! MAGIRUS.
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master

Re: CWC vs MWC

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Are MWC as robust, well made and "weighty" as CWC ? Even if they aren't are they still worth @ £20-25?
    I do not have handled an MWC, but I have not heard good things about them on other fora: Very cheap movements, certainly no match for the CWC.

Have you considererd the PRS-10 from Eddie?

Here's the link: http://www.timefactors.com/new.htm , then scroll down to G-10 (second watch on that page).

I got one of these for our son, and he is very happy with it. I think this is a very good deal, and you are guaranteed excellent service from Eddie.

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

CWC are excellent, but so is the PRS-10.

Of course, the CWC has a connection with firefighting in that many issued watches were worn by service personnel who fought fires when Trumpton was on strike. :twisted:

Hi Magirus,
    I have the CWCG10 which is a tough accurate watch and is the current army issue.
    The MWCG10 which I also have is really a cheaper (to me) version of the CWC and is not quite as accurate and seems to be lacking the finish of the CWC. Certainly trying to 'hack' it is not as easy & precise. It weighs slightly less too.
    The PRS10 that Eddie sells is superb in all respects and is the one I wear the most. It is accurate, has fixed bars like the CWC, and the date is a feature I like at work. It looks and sits on the wrist perfectly - so overall 10/10 for Eddies version. Put it on a black NATO and its the D.B.'s

8)

Rod

Craftsman

MWC

I think it might be well worth doing a search for MWC in the forum this one has some info re: the 'South African' ZA marked G10ZA MWC watches that were on Ebay a while ago with a picture of the Movt. etc.

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ght=#25264

Hope that it is of interest... personally I would go either with a genuine CWC or even better one of Eddies PR10's because Eddie likes to get things just right... and of course because his service is superb...
    Mike

Craftsman
    Hello Magirus, welcome to the forum.

I've never had either a CWC or an MWC to compare my PRS10 to but I'd say go for the PRS10. The 2000 spec CWC with date and luminova retails at £120! Eddies PRS10 is the same spec, costs £45 and you get a choice of strap. As far as I know the MWC doesn't have fixed lugs and the lume is non existant or performs very badly.

Any chance of someone posting a comparison between all 3 watches? It's a question that often comes up on other forums but we never actualy find out because the thread gets deleted :wink:

Cheers,

Tim.

Craftsman
    As an ex fireman (I was in during the pre-politically correct days) I wouldnt recommend a used CWC G10 they are only really splash proof. The new 2000 version is better but at £125 it is quite expensive.

The Broadarrow PRS10, unlike the CWC, is water resistant to 50m and has fixed bars like the CWC. Other alternatives RLT Watch Co RLT6 (spring bars not fixed bars, ETA Swiss quartz movement). Dont go for the MWC

For your job I would probably go for the PRS10 with the fixed bars and 50m water resist.

It would look good on a leather NATO that wont melt on your wrist! (Do you get that close these days) :wink:

I think I should point out that the gap between the fixed bars and the case on the PRS-10 is not wide enough to allow a leather NATO style strap to be fitted. You could probably force it but I wouldn't.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I think I should point out that the gap between the fixed bars and the case on the PRS-10 is not wide enough to allow a leather NATO style strap to be fitted. You could probably force it but I wouldn't.

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie

I was being a bit tounge in cheek about the leather, if I survived wearing 70's fire kit, when we had real fires :wink: the nylon NATO will have no problem.