closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Breitling Top Time 2002 - Any advice appreciated?

Master
    Blog Entries

Vintage Breitling Top Time 2002 - Any advice appreciated?

Looking for some advice, heres the story....

Im owed approx 500 quid by someone who is struggling to repay me due to job loss. Knowing I'm a Bond fan he has offered me a vintage Breitling Top Time 2002 (the model used and modded in the film Thunderball as a geiger counter, this prop watch was recently rediscovered and auctioned).

The offer is I give him 300 quid to call the debt quits, therefore essentially this deal would cost me £800. Now firstly the 500 owed to me has been a long time coming therefore although not forgotten I kind of written it off. As a Bond fan I have looked at this vintage model a few times in the past just to admire however as I'm simply a modern Omega / Rolex owner I admit I have never owned a vintage watch and never owned a breitling. I honestly have no idea if this watch can be further restored into better condition as a cool project.

The owner is no watch expert whatsoever - however a big Bond fan (Thunderball his favourite film) hence the ownership.

Is anybody able to give me some info from the pictures with regards to opinion on condition, realistic restorability options and if its even worth a punt as a project?

As the current owner is no watch expert - here is all the info I have:

He simply picked it up years ago from a shop and had it serviced by a independent watch shop 4 years ago and tells me all works including the subdials.
    Confirmed it has the Valjoux 7730 manual wind movement
    The hands look original to me (comparing other online pics of this model) however like I say I'm no expert
    No papers, just a Breitling Travelbox (presume modern), strap not original therefore presume Buckle isn't either.

The watch is in the UK (currently I'm not) so I have been sent the following pictures:

Here is the actual Bond prop shown next to a restored original:

I have the same one from what I read one of the good ones to have panda dial top time one in Thunderbird film. Condition looks ok from what can its vintage from 1960 not that many kicking around, long as it runs well leave it in my opinion, that's mine I never wear it to be honest.

Sent from my SM-A5100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bokbok; 9th August 2016 at 22:08.

Banned
    If you've written the debt off, it's costing you £300 and on that basis, I'd buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    If you've written the debt off, it's costing you £300 and on that basis, I'd buy it.
    I second that no brainer

Sent from my SM-A5100 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    One of the nicest looking Breitlings made

Quote Originally Posted by IanV View Post
    One of the nicest looking Breitlings made
    Agreed, but would be even better in a bigger case. Had 3 of these and they just wear too small. Did these also come with a Venus 170?

I notice with the watch showing 2.30 the hour hand should be exactly between the 2 & 3 baton. Fir me, it's too near the 2.

Real world value £500.
    Last edited by bongo; 10th August 2016 at 07:22.

^^^

Good points about the hand positions from Bong, who knows what else is wrong?

Chrono movements aren't cheap to service.

TBH to me it's more like cancel the debt plus a century at most.

However as it looks a bit knocked about and as he has kept you waiting for the cash I reckon it should be just gratefully handed over as payment of the debt.
    Cheers,
    Neil.