closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lost me lume pip

Lost me lume pip

Put my Squale 1545 on today and got into work to discover I've lost the lume pip.

What's the best way to resolve this catastrophe? Buy some watch lume paint for about £10 and carefully apply a drop or two into the hole, or buy a new insert from Gnomon for about £20 incl. post? The new insert will need to be fitted of course, which could become a bit of a nightmare.

I'm tempted to have a go at the drop of lume paint. Has anyone else done similar?

Id get a replacement

The hole where the pip was gives a nice leverage point to remove the old insert, then you can simply place the new one in with the bezel still fitted.
    You can get it perfectly aligned then too

Quote Originally Posted by vinstink View Post
    Id get a replacement

The hole where the pip was gives a nice leverage point to remove the old insert, then you can simply place the new one in with the bezel still fitted.
    You can get it perfectly aligned then too
    Cheers Vin. Do you know if the new Squale ones come with any tape or glue? I assume it needs sticking down some how?

Id imagine there would be tape ready to stick on the new one, but im sure Gnomon will confirm.

I would just buy a new insert.

I'd do both. Buy a new insert, but try to fill in the lume pip first (knowing you have a new insert if it goes wrong).

AS the price turned out to be 35 quid and chances are it will fall out again it might be worth going the lume paint and glue route, at least you can re do it every time it falls out

The inserts on these are a push / snap fit
    No glue or tape needed, similar to older Rolex.
    The pip is likely to be inside the bezel itself as they are easy to push through.
    Might be worth taking the insert off and having a look, if it is you might be able to reinsert the pip.
    One word of warning the bezel assembly and click spring are agricultural in their fabrication and can be a pain to get back on flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    The pip is likely to be inside the bezel itself as they are easy to push through.
    Might be worth taking the insert off and having a look, if it is you might be able to reinsert the pip.
    One word of warning the bezel assembly and click spring are agricultural in their fabrication and can be a pain to get back on flush.
    Looking more closely there does appear to be something lume-coloured in the recess so maybe it has pushed through? Any tips for removing the insert without killing it?

Bezel off with a thin blunt blade / case knife (after taping the case for protection). You can remove the bezel retaining spring thingy and then push the insert out from the underside, take care to use even force on the insert to prevent it distorting. (They are quite thick and robust though more so than a Rolex insert) Also be warned that the bezel retaining spring thingy and click spring may Spring out and shoot across the room. You might also loose the lume pip as it drops out he bezel.... Doing it on a desk in a tea tray helps keep bits from being lost.

The fun part it's trying to put it all back together again using the reverse of the removal process.
    Insert in to the bezel ring
    Bezel retaining spring thingy in under the bezel insert
    Click Spring in the bezel, I then line it up with the Spring hole and use the knife to urge in to place and then push the whole bezel down until it clicks.

I realise this is more than likely to be frowned upon by people who are trained watch makers but it works for me
    The bezel is still in place and working correctly more than a year after replacing mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Bezel off with a thin blunt blade / case knife (after taping the case for protection). You can remove the bezel retaining spring thingy and then push the insert out from the underside, take care to use even force on the insert to prevent it distorting. (They are quite thick and robust though more so than a Rolex insert) Also be warned that the bezel retaining spring thingy and click spring may Spring out and shoot across the room. You might also loose the lume pip as it drops out he bezel.... Doing it on a desk in a tea tray helps keep bits from being lost.

The fun part it's trying to put it all back together again using the reverse of the removal process.
    Insert in to the bezel ring
    Bezel retaining spring thingy in under the bezel insert
    Click Spring in the bezel, I then line it up with the Spring hole and use the knife to urge in to place and then push the whole bezel down until it clicks.

I realise this is more than likely to be frowned upon by people who are trained watch makers but it works for me
    The bezel is still in place and working correctly more than a year after replacing mine.
    Perfect, thanks.

Sounds like most bezels I've removed then. I thought I'd read somewhere (probably WUS) that the Squale bezel was meant to be difficult to pop off. Maybe it was the 1521 bezel?

I might give it a go

Maybe a stupid question but is it possible to buy generic lume pips? I lost one from Tissot beater a few years ago and never thought about replacing it. I have looked around but have only seen Rolex ones.

Perhaps Magwitch stole it?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Perhaps Magwitch stole it?

What larks...

I would say a new insert.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I would say a new insert.
    I would say get a new watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Perfect, thanks.

Sounds like most bezels I've removed then. I thought I'd read somewhere (probably WUS) that the Squale bezel was meant to be difficult to pop off. Maybe it was the 1521 bezel?

I might give it a go
    How did it go? Blighted by the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    How did it go? Blighted by the same problem.
    Holy thread resurrection!

I bought the new insert in the end as it was only marginally more expensive than a bottle of lume paint. I tried to fit it myself but could not for the life of me remove the existing bezel. I had it fitted at the same time I got the bracelet re-polished.