closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Got my first fake £20 note...

Got my first fake £20 note...

Drew out £3k from my RBS savings account this morning. The teller weighed the bundles, but I insisted she count them, which she duly did.

Went straight over the road and paid the funds into my NatWest current account. The teller put the cash into the fancy counting machine, which spat out one of the notes as a counterfeit.

True enough, singled out there was no denying it as a passable fake. The teller refused to return the note, insisting they have to retain fakes, but issued me a receipt.

Straight back to RBS, where the manageress authorised a replacement £20 note be released to reimburse me in exchange for the NatWest receipt.

Would not have been happy if I'd held the money for a few days before spotting the fake, and I also felt if I wasn't a known customer at RBS I might not have been reimbursed quite so quickly...if at all.

Cautionary tale.

:-(

Master
    I had exactly the same experience a few years ago taking money in a cash sale for a car. The buyer withdrew from natwest and gave to me. I went to hsbc across the road and they gave me a receipt to take back to NW.

Surprising from a bank.

Even more surprised you wouldn't make a bankers draft or wire transfer.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Even more surprised you wouldn't make a bankers draft or wire transfer.
    Quite?? Awful lot of walking over the road with bundles of cash, while I'm doing the same thing regularly on my iPhone between Natwest and HSBC and it's instantaneous.

Master
    Wow a fake straight from the bank!? Damn always thought getting money from the bank was fool proof.....Scary times.

I'm more shocked at the effort taken to transfer the money rather than the fake.

My RBS savings account is a no-frills Tracker A/C, so no internet banking facility, and I like walking! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Surprising from a bank.
    Not really, most cash held within a bank hasn't come direct from BoE / The Mint, a good amount of it hasn't had a chance to go through a banks central cash handling process either (where fakes could be detected), so notes that have been deposited at a branch and then picked for withdrawal mat not have been checked. Central cash processing may not pick out fakes anyway, you cant begin to imagine the sheer weight of notes being processed, and when a fake does come to light it is destroyed and monetary value replaced by the BoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post
    My RBS savings account is a no-frills Tracker A/C, so no internet banking facility, and I like walking! ;-)
    You don't need T'Internet for Bacs/Faster payment. Just tell the teller the target sort code/Account Number.
    Do you still use a credit card imprinter in your shop!

Last time I got cash out of a bank I was short changed £20.

Why do you think the person on the till at Sainsbury/Tesco etc. ask you if you'd like cash back? Their view is 'better in your pocket than ours'.

It happened to me 20 years ago, I drew out a grand from Barclays for a potential purchase (probably a watch) which didn't materialise so decided to use the money for holiday spending - a teller at a bureau de change at Heathrow pulled a fake 20 out of the bundle. Confiscated the note, didn't give me a receipt and called the cops.

Interesting! I've got a very good fake pinned up at work. I have more problems with the younger guys taking old notes that are well out of circulation.

Incredibly, we dont check notes with a pen or uv light as we get them. Completely ridiculous.

When I worked in a bank I opened a packet of twenties that had come from a cash centre and while counting it found... a cheque!

I used to see a lot of fake twenties, but they were pretty rubbish, and in any case you usually knew you were about to given a fake note from the combination of customer and what they were bringing to the till.* It was very nice ripping one apart in the name of demonstrating that it was fake, and then handing the shreds back cheerfully. And sympathetically: aw, sorry, looks like someone's conned you :sad-smile:

*similarly, in Manchester, if a scally talking through his nose asked for a bottle of Remy and twenty Bennoes, you knew you were about to be offered a stolen credit card

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swatch View Post
    Last time I got cash out of a bank I was short changed £20.
    I drew £300 out of Halifax a few weeks ago and was given £320. First time ever and I'd have told you it was impossible before that! All brand new notes, hard to separate but I thought the machine would have had some sort of rubber pads to count them out.
    I tried to tell the chap at the counter but he said the machines don't make mistakes... Balls to 'em, I was only debited £300 so their loss.

Based on RBS's latest set of results they have most likely started printing their own

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    In my case it was a pain in the arse car buyer and this was the only way to do the deal. Vast majority of stuff I do via faster payments now (although that only works up to £10k I think), but wouldn't worry about doing cash deals again

I run a bar and we've seen all sorts of fakes and dodgy notes. None of the fakes stand up to scrutiny in a well lit office but in a busy dark bar, I can see where mistakes can be made.

We've also had singed notes and one or two red dyed ones which have probably come from Cash In Transit hits.