closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PAM 111

Master

PAM 111

Hi all

Looking to get some views on the 111 model, good and bad welcome. Get the feeling Panerai is a bit of a marmite brand but I like them. Tried one on last year and it's stuck with me.

Are they easy to get hold of from AD's? Can you generally get a discount or extra straps? Have Panerai put their prices up yet?

Master
    I've owned a 111 previously. They tick a lot of boxes for me, sandwich dial, display case back etc. Go for it, but beware, it won't stop at 1, and prepare to spend a fortune on loads of straps .

Loved my 111 and my 024,the non in house I see as a bonus.Go for it ,you wont regret it

111 is a great choice and if you're worried about size and weight the 177 is a nice option, basically the same watch but in titanium (bit lighter).

I'm a massive fan of Panerai and have been for about 15 years. Can't get enough of them.

You will need to get a Radiomir as well once you get a Luminor.

Master
    I love them, had a 177 in the past and loved it. But I won't buy one after hearing the horror stories about servicing and after sales.

When you're paying a huge wedge for a watch, and a fair wedge for servicing, it should be a pleasurable experience from beginning to end.

Beauty of the 111 is Units movement so if you can open it most watch makers can work on them ;-)

Mine is being fixed while we speak.

Not had a 111 but owned the 177 (titanium equivalent) a couple of years ago and ages back I had the white faced 113. The unitas movement is good in the sense that it's easy to service but after the initial honeymoon period it began to irk me having so much money tied up in a watch with such a basic movement and both times ended up flipping for something else. Having said that they are fantastic watches and there is something uniquely appealing about the design, particularly with the sandwich dial.

Master
    Had a 111 as my first PAM, loved it and only sold it to replace with 312. It's a great place to start with Panerai and ignore all the BS on here about the brand. I've owned several and would love to own a few more. Discounts can be had but unless you have a great relationship with the AD they are generally pretty small, but straps, buckles, deployants etc can usually be thrown in if you push.
    Last edited by warns74; 5th August 2016 at 16:22.

The 111 was my first premium watch bought 7 yrs ago and I guess was my grail. I still have it and it would be the last to leave. Love it to bits!

For manythe luminor sits more awkwardly in respect to the 1950 case but I found it the complete opposite. I sold on the 233 due to it being uncomfortable.

Nowadays it lives permanently on the panerai rubber and don't bother changing that often nowadays. I remember paying 3100 pounds back in 2009, I think list is near 4k?

I think more difficult to find as the in house replacements are out, but I find the 111 more special and as mentioned easy service ad an eta movement.

Represents more the 'old' panerai than today's monster obsessed with faux lume and gazillion models!

I had a PAM111, in my opinion it's a great way to start with Panerai. One I still regret selling

Master
    Thanks for the comments so far, in the main a very positive response.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I remember paying 3100 pounds back in 2009, I think list is near 4k?
    List is £4,700 now, that's why I'm curious to see if anyone's had a deal recently :-)

Love mine for all the reasons already given- very robust,easy to repair movement, (though I have never had a days trouble since 2006) like the layout and the caseback is nice. lots of strap options can really change the look- very smart on a honey coloured gator strap, very casual on a rubber or ammo strap.
    chiefly, none of the reported reliability or sky high service cost issues of the in house, later versions to worry about
    whats not to like!

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    List is £4,700 now, that's why I'm curious to see if anyone's had a deal recently :-)
    What the heck, really??? I thought at the time mine was expensive as I was raging having bought one after a pay rise!

£4700, crikey!! Anyway, the 111 was my first Panerai which I owned for about 3 years. Liked it till I fell out of love with the hands, if they'd of been gold I'd still have it. Sent it to the service centre, returned with no issues, then sold it on here.

Got a 425 now, with gold hands!, love it, love Panerai!!

Seeing this picture kinda makes me wish I still owned it!

Master
    Last price list I can find on the interweb was 2013 and had it at £4,600 so I'm 3 years it's only gone up by £100. Fairly sure I inquired last year and it was the same £4,700 I was quoted today.

I'm presuming then that Panerai haven't raised their prices . . . . Yet, following Brexit!

Some great pictures here, thanks :-)

I`ve had a 111 for about 14 years, tough as old boots and gets worn the feck whatever i`m doing.
    I now consider it my `beater`.
    Solid.

**edit
    The price these days is absolutely rediculous though, i wouldn`t pay 4.7K for one!
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 6th August 2016 at 09:08. Reason: i edited it

The watch I regret flipping more than any other!.

Obviously buying new you'll have to swallow the huge depreciation when you sell it...to me!

Blog Entries
    Love the 111, had one sold it for a 312, then a 359 but sold them and bought another 111, says it all really :) . Great watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The 111 is discontinued now, current offerings here. http://www.panerai.com/en/collection...n/luminor.html There may still be some in circulation with dealers of course

The 111 is an excellent choice, although as previously mentioned i would also consider the 177 for the weight saving. I like the ETA movement only downside over the new movement is the power reserve. With regards to there service centre i've used it 3 times all of my watches have been sent there via Mallory's of Bath and all have come back with no issues, after reading some of the scare stories i was worried when i sent the 190 in for a service.

Grand Master
    The 111 is a classic looking watch and a great shout for any level of collector
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    The 111 is discontinued now, current offerings here. http://www.panerai.com/en/collection...n/luminor.html There may still be some in circulation with dealers of course
    I didn't know that it's being discontinued- not sure whether that's good or bad?

Also had a look at a 590.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I didn't know that it's being discontinued- not sure whether that's good or bad?

Also had a look at a 590.

Its only Panerai moving forward with in-house movements. Check their website as there are 'better' options now

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Its only Panerai moving forward with in-house movements. Check their website as there are 'better' options now
    Thanks. Some nice looking options there. Quite like the 590.

Having checked out their web site, I like the 610 or the California, like the wire lugs over the heavy case lugs. Just wish I could go and try a few out really, but never seen any in the high st.

Master
    I may be unusual in most liking the cheaper 'base' models. Something like the 112, just two hands and that's your lot. To me, they offer the full Panerei experience, which is surely just about their fine looks. Even the reliable generic movements are attractive in terms of servicing.
    come to think of it, I like the Radomir even more. Expensive for what they offer, but there you are......one day I might buy one.

Blog Entries
    The PAM 111 was the first Panerai that caught my eye and I was up for purchasing one as a first leap into the brand but the 1950's case 312 was my desired.

After a lot of discussion the feel of the TZ faithful was hang on until the 312 jump could be made which is what I did and that was the right move.

If it ticks yours boxes go for it, you can always move it on but do a little more digging as you may find another model that might catch your eye.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    The PAM 111 was the first Panerai that caught my eye and I was up for purchasing one as a first leap into the brand but the 1950's case 312 was my desired.

After a lot of discussion the feel of the TZ faithful was hang on until the 312 jump could be made which is what I did and that was the right move.

If it ticks yours boxes go for it, you can always move it on but do a little more digging as you may find another model that might catch your eye.

Pitch
    Funny you say that because as well as considering a 590 I've also found a 312 I like the look of. Hard thing is I've been considering a PAM for over a year but unless I take the plunge I'll never know. With a Rolex I kind of know what I'm getting before I get it if that makes sense.

Blog Entries
    IMO you will not go too wrong with a 312, for me it ticks all the boxes, it is a fantastic piece.

Having said this, I had my hands on Jasons............233 in Norwich last year and that was an absolute gem.

Pitch

Master
    The 111 I liked wasn't available.

I've sourced a 590 and I think I'm going to go for it. I tried it on last year and it felt and looked great. Could be an incoming very soon . . . . . . .

590 is a good call.

Wouldn't be without a PAM in my collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    590 is a good call.

Wouldn't be without a PAM in my collection.
    Cheers looking forward to receiving it.

Getting it from an AD. Found one from a grey dealer and contacted a couple of AD's. Both came in very close so I was happy with that.

I'm late to this thread, but I would add that I owned a 2004 'F' series with the sausage dial for several years, and loved it.
    The simplicity of the 111 is pure Panerai.

Enjoy your purchase !

Master
    The only issue for me is £4700 for a Unitas movement!!!!! Why not look for a 2nd hand 312?