closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OLYMPICS

Master

OLYMPICS

I'm sure once it gets going, interest will rise, but doesn't it seem like it's not even happening at the moment? Not much build up, loads of problems over there and a bit of a damp squid at the moment.

We did so well last time, interesting to see if we can retain many golds - we've got some great athletes so very possible.

Hopefully we'll see some great performances again. Anyone going over?

Master
    Probably be good to watch - Brazil 4 hours behind Uk so lots on evening TV.

I'm looking forward to it, hope Rio can get things finished and put their own great style on things.

Doesn't hold any interest for me. I managed to watch around an hour of 2012 including the opening ceremony. I'm far more excited about the football and (especially the) rugby seasons starting again.

Have got all the gymnastics marked in my diary.

Hope I've got the time difference right

The Water looks horrendous over there !, all the Water based competitors are being told keep their mouths shut while competing as 3 spoonfuls of Water can cause infection !!
    Unfortunatley Tom Daly did"nt heed the advice during his reverse dive in the Pike position...

When is the women's beach volley competition?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not overly fussed about the Olympics... I am much more enthusiastic about the Paralympics that follow.
    Oh, apart from the women's volleyball

Would love to see Mark Cavendish complete his portfolio of achievements, although he's probably still got at least one more Olympics in him if he misses out again this year.

Master
    It's totally lost the magic it once had for me as the drug problems are far too numerous now and I won't be watching any of it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The local spectators are probably just as stunning as the athletes

Blog Entries
    Was once a must now not at all interested have no idea who is in our team (GB) apart from Murray and that is only because of news reporting but in any event hope we do well.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ri...%2Cnull%2C2%5D

Presumably local time

Normally can't wait to watch as much as possible, but, I'm afraid this time I really can't get and enthusiasm about it. Too much controversy, hypocrisy (just how poor is Brazil and they are staging this!) and the whole drug testing/cheating saga has just taken away any of the magic for me. Who can you really believe?

Well I'm very excited as I'm going over to Rio on the 12th for a week.

I know all the press has been negative, but I'm going with a positive attitude and am determined to have a good time!

We've got tickets for lots of my favourites including athletics (100m final night), swimming, volleyball (not beach sadly), diving, boxing, weightlifting, table tennis and badminton. Was hoping for some gymnastic tickets, but that didn't work out in the end.

Apparently all the venues are finished as is the new main transport system which will just be for athletes. officials and ticket holders during the games. I know it's not going to be perfect but it's the olympics, which I love, in Rio!

Can't wait.

Ian

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    Well I'm very excited as I'm going over to Rio on the 12th for a week.

I know all the press has been negative, but I'm going with a positive attitude and am determined to have a good time!

We've got tickets for lots of my favourites including athletics (100m final night), swimming, volleyball (not beach sadly), diving, boxing, weightlifting, table tennis and badminton. Was hoping for some gymnastic tickets, but that didn't work out in the end.

Apparently all the venues are finished as is the new main transport system which will just be for athletes. officials and ticket holders during the games. I know it's not going to be perfect but it's the olympics, which I love, in Rio!

Can't wait.

Ian
    Wow Ian - enjoy. I bet it will be amazing, especially the 100m final

Master
    Fantastic Ian - great set of tickets there. Apparently a lot of tickets unsold so hopefully you can get to cycling maybe. Weightlifting looks brilliant on TV with a great atmosphere and competitors geeing up the crowd, I'll wager it might be your favorite event.

I had 100m final tickets in London and the atmosphere and night were something special (perhaps only bettered by the Mo Farah nights) - hopefully you can watch Usain Bolt sign off with a win.

I nominate IVK to have a comprehensive photo thread of his Olympics - any one second this...

Master
    Amber Hill has a huge chance in the skeet shooting, at only 18 too.

I know several of the other shooting athletes, and a few in the Paralympics too.

If you can find anywhere taking bets on the Men's 50m prone rifle, Torben Grimmel is worth a few bob

The shooting arenas (that I've seen) for the shooters look good and well finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Fantastic Ian - great set of tickets there. Apparently a lot of tickets unsold so hopefully you can get to cycling maybe. Weightlifting looks brilliant on TV with a great atmosphere and competitors geeing up the crowd, I'll wager it might be your favorite event.

I had 100m final tickets in London and the atmosphere and night were something special (perhaps only bettered by the Mo Farah nights) - hopefully you can watch Usain Bolt sign off with a win.

I nominate IVK to have a comprehensive photo thread of his Olympics - any one second this...
    Actually I've got cycling tickets for the 13th at the Velodrome. To be honest I'm not that knowledgeable about it, but the description of the events on for our session is:

-
    Men's Finals, Women's Qualifying, Semi-finals, Women's Keirin First Round, Repechages - Women's Team Pursuit Semifinals - Men's Sprint 1/8 Finals, Repechages

I'll do my best to take as many photos as possible, although I'm no photographer! I've not decided yet whether to take the SLR either, for security reasons, so they may be just iPhone snaps.

Weightlifting looks brilliant on TV with a great atmosphere and competitors geeing up the crowd, I'll wager it might be your favorite event.
    Forgot to say - this is the one I"m looking forward to most (possibly with the exception of the 100m). I went to the heavyweight final in London and it was an amazing atmosphere and competition. I'm a bit of a gym junkie myself so it's fun to see the experts throw around ridiculous weights.

Stolen from facebook

Master
    Am I missing something here? I thought it was something of a lottery with Olympic events regarding tickets. You can buy tickets, but you don't know what event you will get?

Master
    I'll do my best to take as many photos as possible, although I'm no photographer! I've not decided yet whether to take the SLR either, for security reasons, so they may be just iPhone snaps.
    Just a little kind of blog/thread would be nice, your thoughts on things, quick review of events, interactions with locals and other fans, iPhone pics perfect that capture atmosphere etc. Love reading threads like that.

Have a great time there. When the party starts I'm sure it will be great with the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Am I missing something here? I thought it was something of a lottery with Olympic events regarding tickets. You can buy tickets, but you don't know what event you will get?
    If you bought from the UK reseller then yes. I bought from other EU associations, official channels but where tickets aren't as in demand as in the UK.

For example I know that the official French reseller still had a large number of tickets left.

Also the fact that this olympics is so far from Europe has meant an easier job of getting hold of tickets.

Master
    It does seem a little flat at the moment but I wonder how much of that is because of the outstanding performance, set up and involvement of hosting the games in the UK. Rio just seems so far away. And that is before the politics and doping scandals.

Master
    If you bought from the UK reseller then yes. I bought from other EU associations, official channels but where tickets aren't as in demand as in the UK.

For example I know that the official French reseller still had a large number of tickets left.

Also the fact that this olympics is so far from Europe has meant an easier job of getting hold of tickets.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Certainly hasn't had the build up compared to London 2012 however that's to be expected, won't stop me watching absolutely as much as possible though. What I love the most about the Olympics is that I find myself getting passionate about sports and competitors that I'd otherwise have no interest in.

I know that there has been plenty of press about drugs however the thought of the world's best athletes and sports professionals all in one place competing on the world's largest sporting stage for the most sought-after accolades really, really excites me. Blood, sweat, tears and sheer bloody hard graft to get to the top, the effort and the sacrifice made - makes me feel quite humble, TBH.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Certainly hasn't had the build up compared to London 2012 however that's to be expected, won't stop me watching absolutely as much as possible though. What I love the most about the Olympics is that I find myself getting passionate about sports and competitors that I'd otherwise have no interest in.

I know that there has been plenty of press about drugs however the thought of the world's best athletes and sports professionals all in one place competing on the world's largest sporting stage for the most sought-after accolades really, really excites me. Blood, sweat, tears and sheer bloody hard graft to get to the top, the effort and the sacrifice made - makes me feel quite humble, TBH.
    Pretty much sums the Olympics up for me too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    The local spectators are probably just as stunning as the athletes
    Which is why you're better off actually watching the Mens volleyball...as all the crowd will be female :)

I think you meant squib.

Am wondering how well GBR will do for gold medals. Here's our progress since the early 90s:

1992 - 5
    1996 - 1
    2000 - 11
    2004 - 9
    2008 - 19
    2012 - 29

Here's how previous host nations have done in the three Olympics immediately before hosting, hosting, immediately after hosting:

Spain (1992) 1 - 13 - 5
    USA (1996) 37 - 44 - 37
    Aus (2000) 9 - 16 - 17
    Greece (2004) 4 - 6 - 0
    China (2008) 32 - 51 - 38
    GBR (2012) 19 - 29 - ??

What to say from that? That 20 has to be the minimum expectation? That over 25 would be doing incredibly well?

I hope Brazil's opening night avoids anything as excruciating as that NHS number that made our ceremony look like a product of the USSR.
    Last edited by Seamaster73; 5th August 2016 at 12:32.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Stolen from facebook

Life is stranger than fiction. As always.

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Life is stranger than fiction. As always.

Tennis players arms always look alarmingly bulky when playing that shot, eg Wozniacki off-court

and on court

or little Simona Halep

Master
    I can confirm Miss Wozniacki looks stunning in reality.

I was sitting 4 feet from her one evening in Belfast, whilst she was Rory Elroy's beau.

Much taller than Rory, and wore less make-up too.

Both of them were very pleasant too..

Lady sport was so much gentler in the 1980s, when the lasses used to tippy toe so gracefully around the tracks.......

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Der amf - I'm not convinced by those tennis shots - can you post a few more....

Der amf - I'm not convinced by those tennis shots - can you post a few more....
    I'm not sure this one is especially convincing neither.....

Oh, and gratuitous gif

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Am wondering how well GBR will do for gold medals. Here's our progress since the early 90s:

1992 - 5
    1996 - 1
    2000 - 11
    2004 - 9
    2008 - 19
    2012 - 29

Here's how previous host nations have done in the three Olympics immediately before hosting, hosting, immediately after hosting:

Spain (1992) 1 - 13 - 5
    USA (1996) 37 - 44 - 37
    Aus (2000) 9 - 16 - 17
    Greece (2004) 4 - 6 - 0
    China (2008) 32 - 51 - 38
    GBR (2012) 19 - 29 - ??

What to say from that? That 20 has to be the minimum expectation? That over 25 would be doing incredibly well?
    No idea how many we will get, but 20 plus would be a fantastic achievement.

Just heard that Pele isn't well enough to attend the opening ceremony - get well soon fella :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I'm sure once it gets going, interest will rise, but doesn't it seem like it's not even happening at the moment? Not much build up, loads of problems over there and a bit of a damp squid at the moment.

We did so well last time, interesting to see if we can retain many golds - we've got some great athletes so very possible.

Hopefully we'll see some great performances again. Anyone going over?
    The goal for Team GB and Paralympics GB is to to the first host country to improve its medal tally in the subsequent games - a very tough ask!

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    (especially the) rugby seasons starting again.
    Don't forget we've got sevens in the Olympics again!

That, and the boxing, freestyle wrestling and Judo is the only thing which will hold my interest

When does it start again?

I like to watch the introduction to see what countries have disappeared and which new ones exist but otherwise...

Looking forward to the Rugby 7's, the cycling and the track and field.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I suppose it was inevitable that we were caught up in the hype which preceded 2012, given that we heard nothing else for the months leading up to it, but I'm not feeling the excitement this time around.

Obviously, there's a good chance that we'll be able to run, jump and chuck stuff about better than Johnny Foreigner, which is the true Spirit of the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I'm not feeling the excitement this time around.
    The question surely is, "How do you kill five hours in Rio if you don't samba?"

I got quite excited about the London Olympics once it got going and a very good showing from GB.

However partly through being abroad, the fact that most contenders are no longer really amateurs and the doping stories has soured it a bit for me TBH.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Sorry but I find all sport mind numbingly boring

The opening ceremony was reasonably entertaining, after a few cocktails

Especially the Brazilian dancers
    Last edited by Velorum; 6th August 2016 at 18:02.

Firstly I think a ''Brazilian'' can be a wonderful thing to watch,

But more seriously, why oh why do the games have to move around the planet every four years, why not just build wonderful facilities in Greece with all competing nations contributing to the costs?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Firstly I think a ''Brazilian'' can be a wonderful thing to watch,

But more seriously, why oh why do the games have to move around the planet every four years, why not just build wonderful facilities in Greece with all competing nations contributing to the costs?
    Well that would certainly bring some stability to Greece's financial position with a positive effect on its tourist industry - and it is where all this willy waving behaviour originated

As regards the 'games' - I can just about get my head around the running, jumping and throwing things as far as you can but why things like football, rugby and tennis are included is beyond me. Dont they have their own well established world championships? I mean, golf? Really? Why stop there? How about dominoes, darts and monopoly? They are games after all.