closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect 5, 6 or 7 watch collection (incoming!!!)

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

Perfect 5, 6 or 7 watch collection (incoming!!!)

I'm on my way to culling my last few watches to end up with 6 (inc beater not noted!!)

I've got a Hulk sub that's definitely a keeper, along with the Monaco (still my absolute favourite watch ever made) and I've got a Panerai 176 coming next week but then the quandary begins.

I plan on keeping one Breitling (from either an aerospace Evo cobra, Steelfish (favourite!) or avenger chrono)

And keep one more Tag Heuer (from an Aquaracer, Carrera FOS (favourite!) or an Autavia re-issue)

But I've found myself wearing the Hulk a lot (3-4 times a week!) and wonder if I should keep the Panerai, Monaco and hulk and sell the rest, maybe buy another Rolex to mix it up?? Go down to 4 even?

Is that possible?!?!?

I've reached the endgame I think, I don't "lust" over anything anymore.
    Last edited by RJM25R; 4th August 2016 at 12:41.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

I've reached the endgame I think
    really?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Love my Hulk but prob wear it the least

PS - what Monaco do you have?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    really?
    Maybe for buying.

Looking in windows and online I don't see anything I really really lust over.

I was so excited waiting for the Hulk to arrive last month, and it's so good I don't see myself buying another tag, breitling or omega et al however in the Rolex range I only really love the sub, and I've got one!

I didn't think it would affect me as much as it has, but 6 days a week at work I wear my hulk 3-4 times. I reach past most other watches instinctively.

Maybe it'll wear off but I don't know.

I'm not really an AP/VC/Patek lover/aspirer and I don't see where I'll go from here, apart from a much smaller collection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Love my Hulk but prob wear it the least

PS - what Monaco do you have?
    Tag heuer calibre 12 (display back/sapphire)

Master
    Equal amounts of heresy and envy ;) I could do 5. Not sure which 5 though. Have a couple of possibles in the pipeline which may resolve that. Or complicate it. I'm not at the endgame yet!

I could do 5

Keep the incoming Panerai, the Hulk and the ones you've noted as being favourites and sell the others, then see how you get on.

Doesn't sound like you're in a rush to buy anything so drop your least used/favoured and wait until you find inspiration for something else.

I was so excited waiting for the Hulk to arrive last month, and it's so good I don't see myself buying another tag, breitling or omega et al however in the Rolex range I only really love the sub, and I've got one!
    You've had it a month? Re-post after a year

Master
    Like you, I don't really aspire to an AP, PP or any of the other really high end watches, and I'm down to 4 plus a beater.

Rolex LV, = pretty much a daily wearer
    Daytona = Best
    Monaco = just love the retro and wear it when the mood takes me
    Silverstone = as above....

But I also have a hankering for 1 more addition, nothing crazy price wise...

I'm thinking Zenith, Corum bubble, or a calibre 36 Monza. (to go with the other two Tags)

Hmmm, I think I could whittle it down to five, in no particular order:

Rolex Milgauss GV
    Hublot Big Bang All Black
    Patek Aquanaut
    Rolex Yatchmaster Everose
    Breitling Blackbird Big Date

I'd be like a dog with 2 ding-a-lings with all these.

My current ideal 5 would be

Rolex SDc 116600 - beater
    Rolex Daytona 116500 (white) - sports causal
    AP 15400 - smart casual
    PP 5167 - smart casual
    Rolex WG DD40 228239 (rhodium) - smart

Blog Entries
    Nice but current five are

Sub no date ceramic
    Sub LV
    Breitling B1 blue
    Breitling M1 yellow
    Breitling code red Blacksteel

"beater" Dreadnought Voyager

Given my needs or a large windfall not looking to change but never say never

thought i had it all sorted out, was content & figured i was done. then got bored and wanted to try new shiny things. it's a myth, there is no getting out

the rolex went, the Kobold went , the GS went then came back again :) and the Dopple is currently in negotiation! who knows where i'll end up next time around.

I'm at eight and could probably go down two or three but I've an eight watch box so I'd have to leave some compartments empty and that's not going to happen!

I'm intrigued that you don't count your beater. What is it, what do you use it for, and how often is it on your wrist?

A collection is a collection - you gotta include the under-stairs pieces ;)

Master
    Rolex Sea Dweller, ceramic. Rolex Prince in white gold. Grand Seiko Spring Drive. Grand Seiko Quartz diver 117. The fifth to be chosen in the next few days. Probably a Panerei Base model, manual wind.
    Unless someone has a better idea....nothing with a crowded dial . Something simple. Preferably with leather strap."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I'm intrigued that you don't count your beater. What is it, what do you use it for, and how often is it on your wrist?

A collection is a collection - you gotta include the under-stairs pieces ;)
    Aquaracer

5 is 2 too many.

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    thought i had it all sorted out, was content & figured i was done. then got bored and wanted to try new shiny things. it's a myth, there is no getting out

the rolex went, the Kobold went , the GS went then came back again :) and the Dopple is currently in negotiation! who knows where i'll end up next time around.
    Well if you want to sell that GS again I'd like to know about it ... ;) ... Don't see many of those about.

Banned
    I've reached the endgame I think, I don't "lust" over anything anymore.
    I've got a Panerai 176 coming next week
    Talk about a contradiction Rick

Seriously, if finances allow, wait a bit, let the new one settle in and see if it ‘fit’s in’, or knocks something else off the wrist.

I would say most of us on here flip (as in flog one to buy another) purely because we don’t have endless amounts of cash and if we did, we would all have more in our collection than we do currently.

I have reached my endgame, of sorts, in that I have two watches I wear - one during the week, the other at weekends, but I do have some put away - they will though never likely be worn. Not particularly sentimental - the odd one for investment, another is just special and I don’t want to part with it, but however special, it doesn’t get time on my wrist.

I’ve currently a WTB, just agreed a deal on a new watch and probably would jump on the odd sales post here if something took my eye, but this is the point I think many of us get wrong. The stage I am at, it is the hobby for me - buying the odd piece etc. It doesn’t change the fact I wear two watches, so as far as that goes, I am content and have reached my ‘end game’.

Master
    I would aim for as few as possible. I ended up with 5 and then this year have pared it to 3 - all which are quite similar so I could even venture to further reduction at some point. I find I wear the Hulk the most, followed by SD4000 and then the YM when I want to be a bit more subtle/dressy. See the tale here http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...with-2016-SOTC

I do have Casio and Swatch for days when a fancy smanchy watch just won't do.

I'm not completely cured - I was drooling over a few watches yesterday, but I absolutely now want to maintain one in one out and whims don't past muster.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

Seriously, if finances allow, wait a bit, let the new one settle in and see if it ‘fit’s in’, or knocks something else off the wrist.

I would say most of us on here flip (as in flog one to buy another) purely because we don’t have endless amounts of cash and if we did, we would all have more in our collection than we do currently.

I have reached my endgame, of sorts, in that I have two watches I wear - one during the week, the other at weekends, but I do have some put away - they will though never likely be worn. Not particularly sentimental - the odd one for investment, another is just special and I don’t want to part with it, but however special, it doesn’t get time on my wrist.

I’ve currently a WTB, just agreed a deal on a new watch and probably would jump on the odd sales post here if something took my eye, but this is the point I think many of us get wrong. The stage I am at, it is the hobby for me - buying the odd piece etc. It doesn’t change the fact I wear two watches, so as far as that goes, I am content and have reached my ‘end game’.
    That's a bit like saying 'I'm an alcoholic but I only drink on Tuesdays'

Blog Entries

It doesn’t change the fact I wear two watches, so as far as that goes, I am content and have reached my ‘end game’.

Yep, the 176 I agreed a deal on months ago but the seller is out of the country until this week so the excitement is already in full flow but I cannot think of a single watch that is on my wish list.

From a money point of view, anything new has to be self funded, like you say, from moving other stuff on!

Typically contradictory though, last night I decided I'm going to look at the black sub at Miltons on Thursday with a view to purchasing. Yes, THAT one....... So it seems I'm completely talking from my chuff!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    That's a bit like saying 'I'm an alcoholic but I only drink on Tuesdays'
    See above^!

Banned
    Ok I'll play

116618LB sunburst dial
    E76321 yellow 2012 one of the last if not the last yellow one.
    197 with JLC 8 day movement not panerai's in House.
    AP 15703.st

So I suppose my collection is complete with a few other Pam's and breitling & Rolex thrown in.
    Last edited by Fords; 3rd August 2016 at 16:19.

It's just so difficult to pick just 5.

From my recent purchases, I'd have to give a more broad answer:

Patek 5711
    white gold Daytona
    Sub - of any kind, usually an LV older or current
    Seamaster - either SMP300m or a PO
    Something different - for me it's either something like the Omega Sky-Walker or Bremont Terra-Nova
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Im building mine,

DSSD - D Blue
    Sub nd
    GMT 2

would love an explorer 2

and daytona

Grand Master
    The thought of owning only 5 watches doesn't appeal, but here goes:

Omega SMP pre-ceramic ( whichever version you prefer)

Omega Speedmaster reduced 3510:50 or Moonwatch ( depending on wrist size)

Omega pie-pan Constellation (18ct yellow gold preferred)

Rolex Datejust bimetal (pre 2006, Jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel preferred)

Rolex Explorer 1......OR any 1950s Omega Seamaster with thick lugs.

Paul

moonwatch, gmt master ii Pepsi, grande reverso, b'ling emergency, gs titanium spring drive diver.

Yep, the 176 I agreed a deal on months ago but the seller is out of the country until this week so the excitement is already in full flow but I cannot think of a single watch that is on my wish list.

From a money point of view, anything new has to be self funded, like you say, from moving other stuff on!

Typically contradictory though, last night I decided I'm going to look at the black sub at Miltons on Thursday with a view to purchasing. Yes, THAT one....... So it seems I'm completely talking from my chuff!

- - - Updated - - -

See above^!
    So five is actually six with a seventh on the way.

Now you're also considering an eighth?

That sounds quite normal!

Apprentice
    Moonwatch, Submariner, JLC Master Control, Breguet type XX, AP Royal Oak 39mm

Apprentice
    Would have to go

AP Royal Oak 15400 Blue Dial
    IWC Big Pilot
    Panerai 512
    Breitling Superocean on rubber
    Rolex Datejust

I'm down to about 5 that I wear regularly.

The problem is the other 40 or so that I can't bear to part with. Although not especially valuable they took time to acquire and make a nice vintage digital themed collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I'm down to about 5 that I wear regularly.

The problem is the other 40 or so that I can't bear to part with. Although not especially valuable they took time to acquire and make a nice vintage digital themed collection.
    I'm in a similar position. I only wear one regularly, the others just stay in the box all the time.*

*not including g shocks. We all know they don't count when it comes to counting.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A Hulk
    A 39mm oyster pep
    A 42mm 2500 PLant ocean
    A JLC master calender
    A grey face Monaco.

With that 5 I would genuine struggle every morning.

Here's my go;

Patek 5130j.
    Lange Saxonia 37mm.
    Rolex Sub No-Date (pre ceramic).
    Rolex Prince.
    Smiths Military watch (original production).

Grand seiko 37mm manual SBGW031
    JLC ultra thin small seconds 38mm SS version
    VC patrimony 40mm RG version
    Hentschel H1 37mm RG version
    And an old 36mm Rolex 1018 OP with grey dial as my beater.

Fanx.

*wakes up from dream*

Oh. Oh well, never mind. One of them, one day, at least.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 4th August 2016 at 07:54.

Banned
    Now I’m converted I think five is still too many.

Pretty happy with a daily wearer, a smart and a beater. I am not saying I will not change and of the three, but it’s certainly enough for every eventuality.

For me:

Steel Yachtmaster II on bracelet
    WG Sky-Dweller on leather
    Titantium Emergency on canvas

Great variety and suits work, rest and play, gives me bracelet, leather and other, automatic and quartz, plus steel, white gold and titanium.

I'm down to 5 at the moment, but still have the urge to replace my ceramic sub as I miss the quality bracelet. Not sure how I'm going to fit a dress watch in there somehow.

Rolex 16750 GMT
    Omega Speedmaster
    Omega Seamaster 300m 2254
    Breitling Aerospace
    Hamilton Khaki field Auto

I can't see me sticking to 5 as I love the Longines Legend Diver and just had a look at a Zenith Pilot chronograph that is much better in the flesh than the photos would suggest.

Blog Entries
    oops I did it again.

(Rehaut pic)

Been to Liverpool and paid a deposit on this from esteemed member Mr Milton.

Ok decision has been made. Definitely going down to 4.

Or 5.

Maybe 6???

Master
    You know my thoughts, but I can't deny that Brevet dial has some great features. If Rolex were to offer an Explorer dial on a 114060 even at a couple of hundred pounds "geek premium" I'd be one sucker coughing up for it.

Been busy this morning, did you ask for me or not?

H

Banned
    Go on big man!

Great to see some more individual purchases on the forum more recently.

It's what the hobby is all about. Congrats Rick.

Master
    My colleague Lindsay has just described our tz visitor as "really nice."

This could mean different things so I sought clarification.

Apparently she did not mean by this that you were some sort of studmuffin, but that you were "really pleasant, nice manners etc." That gets you a six month ban on here, doesn't it?

H

ignoring:-

1. couple of G Shocks which the boys pinch as they lose their own & therefore I consider disposable
    2. 2 old Tissots from when I was a teenager (not working)

I am down to 7 and they are the same 7 I have had for 2 years now (a couple of others have come in since 2014, but have gone out again).... no major desire to get them down to 5. They are:-

1. 5712
    2. Zenith Big Pilot
    3. JLC Master Compressor Geo
    4. GMTc
    5. GV
    6. Omega vintage Speedy Mk II Racing dial
    7. TAG ana-digi for the gym

TAG is used for the gym and is pretty battered. It had had one big repair and if it breaks again I might look at an Evo. Only other watch that keeps calling is a new LV .....but couldn't bear to part with the GMT for it...

Just had to edit post as realized I have this as well ..... but never wear it ! Think I listed it for sale 2 to 3 years ago, and presumably no one wanted it !

Last edited by dandanthewatchman; 4th August 2016 at 16:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Apparently she did not mean by this that you were some sort of studmuffin, but that you were "really pleasant, nice manners etc." That gets you a six month ban on here, doesn't it?

H
    Aren't they all softly-spoken pussycats in real life?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive reduced from 8 to 6.

I would like to try on a Patek 5712 or 5711 and if to my liking swap out a few to trim things down further. If not would stick to my current and maybe think about upgrading some of the models I have e.g possibly add more colour variety by changing DSSD to a DSSD Cameron (however dont fancy the 3K plus upgrade). Poss Daytona and Explorer upgrades in the future if I ever get to try them on and like them.

Last edited by kultschar; 4th August 2016 at 17:31.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

H
    Thanks very much for looking after this for me, I'm afraid I was short on time having only paid for 2 hours parking and it taking me over an hour to actually find your showroom with the roadworks and the steps up to the first floor!

I wore my de-riguer TZ outfit of unwashed crotch-blown denim, brogues and a Barbour jacket (with a monacle) carrying a tactical sleeping bag and torch, so I'm shocked I didn't get attacked by the local "eh, eh, calm down" chaps perusing the 23 JD sports shops that seem to be in the shopping center!!!

Lindsey was extremely pleasant, and the chap on the door was nice too but I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you in person. I look forward to having more time when I come to collect and hopefully you'll be around!

Cheers

Rick

Ps what do you mean "not a studmuffin?"

Blog Entries
    Go on big man!

Great to see some more individual purchases on the forum more recently.

It's what the hobby is all about. Congrats Rick.

It's a bit left-field for some but it just really grabbed me. It's a pseudo-tactical look IMHO, and with that dial it has a hint of vintage, but in a modern reliable set-up.

Those modded Subs you were looking at were intriguing but WAY over my budget.

The reality of this is that Haywood has priced this watch at such a great price point, it is unlikely that I will lose anything on it if I flip (in fact I've already had a solid offer and a "let me know if you decide it's not for you") but more importantly, this is probably the ONLY possibility (from a price point of view) that I'd ever be able to buy this kind of Rolex.

The PVD isn't quite Matt, but neither is it glossy so it looks better (IMHO) in person than it does in pics (which make it look shiny)

But I do now need to reduce my collection. The cobra aerospace (in pvd titanium) looks a bit "loud" compared to this and I think it may bite the dust!

I was planning on a trip across the M62 from Manchester to have a look at this. My only worry about the PVD was whether it would chip as I run a bar and my watches do sometimes get knocked about.

Lovely watch and it was a great price.

Master
    ....the local "eh, eh, calm down" chaps perusing the 23 JD sports shops that seem to be in the shopping center!
    You didn't get to see all of the shopping centre then, Rick?

Hope to catch you when you return, but if it's any time soon school holiday activities may mean I'm not there. Can always review video to confirm studmuffin status if the forum wishes.

H

Well done, bold choice and more power to you.