closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tales from the workshop. E-type content.

Blog Entries

Tales from the workshop. E-type content.

Every now and then, I post a few pics of a project that's in the workshop. This time, a Jaguar E type. Series 1 1/2, 2+2, 4.2 ltr.

The car is from Germany and the owner found his way to us many years ago. The problem? Overheating. Not too bad, but the owner noticed that the needle kept creeping up. Not only in traffic, but also 'under power'. Often the result of a silted radiator or a waterpump that's 'kaputt'. In this case, the waterpump was knackered. The vane had come loose from the shaft!

A new waterpump is easily installed - but not on a Jag. You can choose for taking off the bonnet, but then you have to re-align it when you put it back on. And that's a job that takes a while... So we discussed this with the owner. He opted for the 'bonnet on' option. Making life not easy ('cause you're working on a angle when you put the spanners on).

So after draining about 12 liters of coolant... the pump came off. At the time of these pics, the pump was ordered and we were busy draining.

On the pic of the interior, you can see the significant difference why this is called a on-and-a-half. The switches on the dash are already the plastic ones instead of the lovely switches of the series 1. The clock is out. Simply because the battery was empty. A new battery did the trick.

Menno

Sublime.

That interior!

Fabulous machine
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

They don't make'em like they used to. Same goes for watches, sometimes...

Blog Entries
    Without calling out exact numbers regarding this car, I can safely say that buying a car like this between 2000 and 2005 turned out to be an unexpected investment. Back then, you could buy a car like this for 20K - 30K (euros). You won't get much back from 65K when you try to buy a car like this. And carefully advertised, it would even make 70+K.

In all those years, the waterpump is the first item that went wrong. With 7K - 9K kms/annually, it's no surprise that all is still in perfect order. After replacing the w/pump, the men at the shop took care of all sorts of regular maintenance: fresh oil, g/box oil, brake fluid (needs to be checked every 4 yrs!) etc.
    We always replace all fuses. Huh? Yes! Not so careful owners (not this one) replace a blown fuse for a bigger one. That often results in melded wiring or worse. These fuses cost next to nothing. Replacing them is a 10 min job and instantly shows any flaws!

Menno

Master
    One of the consultants I work with has a few of these. No matter how good the pictures are, seeing it in the flesh is awesome. So beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Without calling out exact numbers regarding this car, I can safely say that buying a car like this between 2000 and 2005 turned out to be an unexpected investment. Back then, you could buy a car like this for 20K - 30K (euros). You won't get much back from 65K when you try to buy a car like this. And carefully advertised, it would even make 70+K.

In all those years, the waterpump is the first item that went wrong. With 7K - 9K kms/annually, it's no surprise that all is still in perfect order. After replacing the w/pump, the men at the shop took care of all sorts of regular maintenance: fresh oil, g/box oil, brake fluid (needs to be checked every 4 yrs!) etc.
    We always replace all fuses. Huh? Yes! Not so careful owners (not this one) replace a blown fuse for a bigger one. That often results in melded wiring or worse. These fuses cost next to nothing. Replacing them is a 10 min job and instantly shows any flaws!

Menno
    My SL has a yearly fuse 'service' and it always amazes me that people do not do this on older cars as a matter of course. Would also agree that more miles, within reason, makes for a much more reliable classic. The Ferrari develops leaks over the winter that stop as soon as you put a few miles and heat cycles under the wheels.

Blog Entries
    Stop toying with us and give us a proper shot of one of the most beautiful cars ever made...!

That looks like a beauty...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Utterly beautiful. Those seats look the dogs danglers.

get the owner to remove the horrible us anti smog set up and give it the triple su's it was designed for rather then forcing it to inhale some of it's own waste

Craftsman
    Cars of that era had gorgeous lines, as did quite a few things, women and watches would probably fall into that category too mind........

......Beautifull car"

I always enjoy your 'tales from the shop' Menno, but this one really needs more pics!!!

Re: Jaguar water pumps, nothing much changes. A common problem on the X100's (XK8/XKR) is that on the earlier production cars the pump's vanes were plastic - and over time they degrade and fracture, causing blockages in the cooling system. Upgraded internal impellers are available to changeover to, but getting to the pump is an absolute PITA, so some owners were put off by the costs involved and carried on regardless... The only downside to that is the engine would overheat - and these V8's 'cook' very quickly: by the time they hit the redline on the gauge it was often too and the cost to repair is mega money.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

A quite beautiful car and that interior puts many modern vehicles to shame, thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    One of the consultants I work with has a few of these. No matter how good the pictures are, seeing it in the flesh is awesome. So beautiful!
    That sounds like we need a few more details - "has a few of these " .how many e-types does he have exactly ?

Quote Originally Posted by mrpgkennedy View Post
    get the owner to remove the horrible us anti smog set up and give it the triple su's it was designed for rather then forcing it to inhale some of it's own waste
    HD-8's as opposed to the Stromberg 175's here.

That takes me back.

I used to do a lot work on those when I had the carb and tuning business.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpgkennedy View Post
    +1.....it'll cost money to do but that's what the car is screaming out for.

Just been out in my humble MGB this morning and saw a really nice V12 E Type Roadster. Would I swap him?.....yes! However, in the real world, would I sell the MG and find another £100+K to own the E Type?..........no way! E Types have become far too expensive to even contemplate owning thesedays, unless you're fortunate enough to have bought one 10 years ago. They're nice, but they're still old cars with limited capability compared to modern stuff. I probably get 80% of the enjoyment from the MG (with uprated engine)..........and I can afford to put petrol in it. Classic motoring is a lot different to driving a modern car and I`m sure a lot of people would find these cars a big disappointment if they drove them.

Buying an E Type (or even a Big Healey) takes you well into the realms of diminishing returns for the outlay..........but they both look great and given unlimited funds I`d probably own either....... or maybe both!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 1st August 2016 at 15:49.