closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pocket watches!

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Be careful ! Some pocket watches particularly American ones have screw backs and fronts.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

As with others I'm learning to service them albeit with the help of the pocket watch by ChristopherBarrow. You can pick them up for next to nothing from auctions etc and with the right tools not as hard as it looks to get working.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Be careful ! Some pocket watches particularly American ones have screw backs and fronts.

Cheers - will break out some rubber gloves and see what's what

Craftsman
    Maybe some of the luxury brands like Rolex, Panerai, etc. should produce a new line of pocket watches and revive that old tradition. Actually a very nice one!

There is a permanent exhibition in the Science Museum called The Clockmakers' Museum (http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visi...kmakers-museum) which goes through the history of clockmaking with a focus on the UK. The pre 18th century pocket watches were particularly interesting due to the highly decorated engraving of the movements and there are lot of them on display, it is definitely worth a visit.

If I ever got round to it I would love to get my hands on a pre 18th century pocket watch, but that's likely to be much further in the future.
    Last edited by Apersonofsorts; 25th October 2016 at 16:49.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Here are a few shots...
    First the mystery watch.

It looks like this might be the case opening slot ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    And the Hunter...

It's difficult to believe that this movement is more than 100 years old !

Both together...

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    First the mystery watch.

Wow, that looks very nice and very interesting. i would post a pic on the BMW sub forum for advice, I think this could something special.
    Last edited by pastrana72; 25th October 2016 at 21:23.

Pocket watches!

Here are a few shots...
    First the mystery watch.

I'd take care of that one, it looks stunning. I'm no expert but google B-uhr pocket watches. Someone knowledgeable will probably be along soon.
    Last edited by alfat33; 25th October 2016 at 21:36.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I'd take care of that one, it looks stunning.

I intend to... I'd like to know what it is, and how to get it clean and running.

I can see me using this everyday if I can get it serviceable.

Pocket watches!

I intend to... I'd like to know what it is, and how to get it clean and running.

I can see me using this everyday if I can get it serviceable.
    Seriously I'd confirm exactly what it is before trying to open it. As you know the provenance all the way back to WW2 it will be probably be genuine and it is potentially quite valuable. As pastrana said I'd post in the BMW sub-forum, there are members who could identify it very quickly.

Quick question: are there any numbers on the edge of the case i.e. looking at the side rather than the back?
    Last edited by alfat33; 25th October 2016 at 22:02. Reason: Adding a quick question

Seriously I'd confirm exactly what it is before trying to open it. As you know the provenance all the way back to WW2 it will be probably be genuine and it is potentially quite valuable. As pastrana said I'd post in the BMW sub-forum, there are members who could identify it very quickly.
    I have been having a look, but this needs a expert opinion though, those chaps know their stuff. The fact it has no strap lugs and I think maybe it did as I have read and heard a few about with lugs , it looks like a German ww2 b-uhr wrist watch to me. I have seen a few, IWC, stowa, laco and a Lange & sohne. Very desired by collectors, worth keeping.
    Last edited by pastrana72; 25th October 2016 at 22:18.

That's what it seems to me. Some B-uhr observer watches were also produced without lugs I think.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Looks like you chaps may be correct... It looks EXACTLY like this

I wonder if my Grandfather acquired it with the Luger (!) we found in his belongings when clearing out his house when he passed away ?

That's what it seems to me. Some B-uhr observer watches were also produced without lugs I think.
    Yep, that is what I have been looking at on military watch forums, certainly mentioned.

Looks like you chaps may be correct... It looks EXACTLY like this

I wonder if my Grandfather acquired it with the Luger (!) we found in his belongings when clearing out his house when he passed away ?

I think that is extremely likely. I hope you still have the Luger too, although you might need to get it deactivated quick.

Hopefully it is a Lange and sohne judging by the shape of the crown, that would be very cool, if it was a IWC, happy days.

What ever it is, it is extremely cool and well done, very intresting find, nice one grandfather.
    Last edited by pastrana72; 25th October 2016 at 22:40.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quick question: are there any numbers on the edge of the case i.e. looking at the side rather than the back?
    No, nothing stamped into the side of the case... just the 4 digit serial on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    I think that is extremely likely. I hope you still have the Luger too, although you might need to get it deactivated quick.

Hopefully it is a Lange and sohne judging by the shape of the crown, that would be very cool, if it was a IWC, happy days.

What ever it is, it is extremely cool and well done, very intresting find, nice one grandfather.
    The Luger was handed in as soon as we found it (he also had some live ammo !!)

It looks more like a Stowa, judging from what Googling I've done so far. Will add some pics in the BMW forum and see what's what.

Cheers,
    Daniel.

That B-Uhr is a terrific find and, if you're not sure how the case opens, then get professional help. Lange and IWC would be the most desirable but Laco, Stowa or Wempe wouldn't be too shabby either. Although it has a pocket watch movement it would originally have had lugs to allow it to be worn on the outside of the arm of a flying jacket. Obviously at 55mm (I assume that yours is this diameter) it's a difficult proposition for wearing on the wrist and as yours appears to have most of the original case there may be a limit to what modifications you could attempt if you wanted to fix it to a chain. I'd be tempted to use it as a desk clock and get somebody to make a mount for it (Brendan Hoey?).

There's a link here to a series of resources on WUS about B-Uhrs.
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/b-uh...en-438490.html

I'd strongly recommend a post on MWRForum about this. There are such a terrific set of hoarders on there, somebody might even have a spare case - the level of knowledge on these will also be impressive.

Master
    The Luger was handed in as soon as we found it (he also had some live ammo !!)

When you say the Luger was handed in, do you mean to the police to destroy or to be deactivated? Please say the latter!

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Here are a few shots...
    First the mystery watch.

It looks like this might be the case opening slot ?

Yes ! That's a case opening slot.

Hold the watch in a dishcloth. Palm of your hand.

With the back face up, always twist the knife down, not up !

It's still possible that the front screws on though !

Brendan.
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 27th October 2016 at 09:58.

I've had a hankering for a Pocket Watch for some time after seeing someone buy a solid silver Omega on Bargain Hunt for a pittance.

Seems, it's not that easy to find one quite so cheaply, especially if you're mostly shopping online, but my mum gave me some money for Christmas and said "Buy something for YOU with it", so I figured this was a good a time as any.

I didn't do any research and it soon became clear that a silver Omega in working condition would break my modest budget, but I've always liked the Longines brand and when this steel cased one came up, I bid and won it.

It arrived today and I've already discovered its apparent age (movement dates it to c.1913! - later confirmed as June 2014 by Longines) and how to set the time (lever setting)

It's a bit bashed on the case, as you'd expect, but I don't really know what I've bought.

The dial looks suspiciously good for such an old watch, but the serials on case and movement match - Keeping good time at the moment too.

I don't see this as the beginning of a collection, just something a little different - I'm going to sit it on a stand on my desk, as I'd never wear a pocket watch on a chain.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 27th January 2017 at 12:46.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I don't see this as the beginning of a collection, just something a little different - I'm going to sit it on a stand on my desk, as I'd never wear a pocket watch on a chain.

M
    That looks really nice. It's amazing how some dials survive if kept dry. I have one from the '30s that I was convinced was some sort of modern copy at first.

FWIW I started with one as a gift/treasured curio, but knowing I'd never get another one. Somehow I've got 5 now so be warned ;). At least they are cheap (at this end of the scale), for what seem relatively high quality movements, and a lot of variety. I do occasionally wear one.

I know what you mean.

I once just wanted a Breitling Cosmonaute

M
    Last edited by snowman; 17th January 2017 at 09:28.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

That dial does look good Snowman!

Here's mine of a similar age.

Same style hands and arabics.

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Had my hands on this the other day, sadly well out of my range.
    You would need deep pockets for this (in both senses!) case is 18ct gold and about 54mm across

Sorry about the lighting

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    That's just sublime. I've never seen that dial inscription before; is it common?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    That's just sublime. I've never seen that dial inscription before; is it common?
    I don't think to is hugely common, I've seen the dials printed "To the King" a couple of times now and have seen "To the Queen" (as in Victoria) once, more often it is just the movement that is engraved.
    What is quite unusual is that the movement is English not Swiss, most probably made by Hector Golay

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    I don't think to is hugely common, I've seen the dials printed "To the King" a couple of times now and have seen "To the Queen" (as in Victoria) once, more often it is just the movement that is engraved.
    What is quite unusual is that the movement is English not Swiss, most probably made by Hector Golay
    Excellent. I have a Ebay saved search for Golay - will you promise not to tell anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Excellent. I have a Ebay saved search for Golay - will you promise not to tell anybody?
    Have fun looking! they did some lovely deck watches for the Royal Navy if you are lucky enough to track one down.

Here is one from me. Is it too fanciful to say it looks loosely modelled on PhiloStan's Patek earlier in the thread? Just the Bregeut hands and numerals in common I suppose. It is certainly not sublime but not too shabby for a pretty workmanlike watch from the 1930's IMHO.

Craftsman
    Have a very similar wartime JLC that Neil.C had in his photos along with a Lanco with a screw back.

Inherited them from my Grandfather a number of years ago and usually they live buried in a cupboard. However, had a sudden urge to bring them back out the other day. Both still working fine although I'm currently fiddling with the regulation.

Got the Lanco sitting in my pocket as I type happily ticking away. There's something very special about a pocket watch, especially some of the beauties pictured in this thread.

This is my only pocket watch.
    Same as Neil's.C
    JLC GSTP

I am never dressed smart enough to wear it on an Albert but I did pick up a cheap strap that enables me to use it. It's a bit big on my 7.5 inch wrist but the picture makes it look huge!

Here is one from me. Is it too fanciful to say it looks loosely modelled on PhiloStan's Patek earlier in the thread? Just the Bregeut hands and numerals in common I suppose. It is certainly not sublime but not too shabby for a pretty workmanlike watch from the 1930's IMHO.

Love the numerals on that

I sent my watch's details and a few photos to Longines and they've just got back to me.

Further to your request, we are pleased to provide the information contained in Longines' handwritten registers:

The original serial number 3'037'482 identifies a hunter pocket watch in steel. It is fitted with a Longines manually wound mechanical movement, caliber 19.74N and was invoiced on 17 June 1914 to the company Perusset, which was at that time our agent for France.

A nice little service and a bit of provenance and history to the watch.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 26th January 2017 at 12:18.

Banned
    Longines have always been very helpful
    Maybe it's because they employ a fair number of English staff...and are not so tight lipped as the average Swiss rep...!
    They once gave me a gift of their beautiful history book...
    Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Longines have always been very helpful
    Maybe it's because they employ a fair number of English staff...and are not so tight lipped as the average Swiss rep...!
    They once gave me a gift of their beautiful history book...
    Brendan.
    I like them as a brand, a bit under the radar, but stylish and subtle (their sponsorship of sporting events, for instance, ski racing and equestrianism, is less brash than say F1 and seems more in keeping with their products than F1 does with Rolex's - for example - I don't want to keep beating on Rolex ) and little actions like this really reinforce my liking for them.

M.

Banned
    Their early movements were sublime.
    I had a 13.34 signed: 'By appointment to her Majesty the late Queen Victoria' .
    Longines thought that the 'late' bit was quite funny and misunderstood it to imply that their watches were slow...!

Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 26th January 2017 at 12:45.

I got a nice little stand for the watch and it sits on my desk now.

It's keeping remarkably good time too!

M

^^

Always a good idea.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Here is my desk clock: Jaeger-LeCoultre 1942. Sometimes, I change the watch.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Jo

Here the 4 pocketwatches on rotation as the deskwatch!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Jo

Pocket watches!

Nice to see these. Something special about a GSTP.

Thanks alfat33,

The watches were originaly during WWII from the Britisch Forces.
    After the war, the Belgian Army had to be built up again; therefore a LOT of material has been purchased from the UK,
    they had a mass of surplus and barely used material.
    Around 1995-2000, the Belgian Army reduced masively and many stuff was for sale, ...
    Then I was lucky to buy some!

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Hande View Post
    Around 1995-2000, the Belgian Army reduced masively and many stuff was for sale, ...
    Then I was lucky to buy some!
    I see you served in the Belgian Army. You were lucky to be around when the watches were for sale!

If you collect military watches, have you tried Military Watch Resource forum? https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/forum.php

I see you served in the Belgian Army. You were lucky to be around when the watches were for sale!

If you collect military watches, have you tried Military Watch Resource forum? https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/forum.php
    Thanks Alfa T33, altough I don't collect specific military watches, I like them because of: Releability, visibility-readability as main parameters.

I will check this website;

and happy that I last year bought a Smiths PRS29 Mk II, beautiful watch, that deserves the name military wristwatch!

BTW: the GS/TP watches are Jaeger-Lecoultre, Record and Doxa.

The Sylvana is from before the 1940's I think. See caliber and back cover:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks Alfa T33...

The Sylvana is from before the 1940's I think. See caliber and back cover:
    Lovely clean movement and a nice late art deco back.

I see you know your Alfas as well :).

Yes, I knew the Alfa T33 bolide.... but as I am from the military, I was thinking about AirForce airplanes !!!

All the best, alfat33 !

Here once more the JLC WWII GS/TP from inside:

These 15 jewelled Calibre 467 movements were entirely produced “in house” by Jaeger Le Coultre with no outsourced components whatsoever and have since become acknowledged as one of the most accurate and reliable military watch movements ever made.

Jo

These 15 jewelled Calibre 467 movements were entirely produced “in house” by Jaeger Le Coultre with no outsourced components whatsoever and have since become acknowledged as one of the most accurate and reliable military watch movements ever made.

Jo
    With probably the most badly-plated GSTP cases together with the ropiest dials.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Journeyman
    Interesting post