closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric shavers

Electric shavers

There are a few threads in here which I have had a look at.
    I've never had an electric shaver before, but I need one for traveling. It needs to be cordless and chargeable. I don't want to get one that uses batteries.
    I've seen the basic foil/rotary articles. Being of swarthy middle eastern appearance I have what you classify as 'thick growth'. I don't need a super close finish as my days of meeting the Norwegian pm who is a stickler for that sort of thing are over. I just need something to keep the growth under control, less I am mistaken for a bear, a tramp or a hipster.
    One thing I've found from reading the threads is that different things suit different people, however I thought I should ask the panel their advice before I spank 150 notes on a braun series 7.
    Cheers
    Bignose Dave
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

A good philips or panasonic shaver can be had for under £100 check f-bay.

I've been very happy with the Braun Series 5 5070cc I bought from Amazon. It was on offer for £64.41 in a Lightning Deal when I bought it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-5070c...dp/B008YD9VSW/

Currently, for three years, using a Braun series 7 having tried a top-end Panasonic triple head (it crushed the ends of the bristles rather than clean cut) and an expensive Phillips (tugged too often). Simply can't beat Braun, but then it's a personal matter. The Braun has the best battery life of the three by some way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Currently, for three years, using a Braun series 7 having tried a top-end Panasonic triple head (it crushed the ends of the bristles rather than clean cut) and an expensive Phillips (tugged too often). Simply can't beat Braun, but then it's a personal matter. The Braun has the best battery life of the three by some way.
    That's good to know as I have a phillishave that is about 4 years old now and it's ok but doesn't shave that close but luckily I don't have a heavy growth, I did invest in some nice wet shaving equipment but it really is a faff with pre shave lotion and then doing three passes without taking my face off and I know some people swear by wet shaving and can do it really quickly I just can't get to grips with it so I am thinking of getting a Braun :) but which model as there are so many! It seems like the series 7 is the one to get and I don't need to use it in the shower so that might narrow it down but wow they aren't cheap are they :)

I've got tough, dark stubble and have spent a fortune over the years on various pricey electric shavers, corded and cordless, and none of them shave as well as my cheap little battery powered Panasonic ES3831K.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have to ask why you'd want an electric shaver for travelling? If I'm honest, I struggle to understand why anyone would use any form of dry shaver, let alone for travelling. Just get one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feather-AS-.../dp/B00F93R0B0

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I have to ask why you'd want an electric shaver for travelling? If I'm honest, I struggle to understand why anyone would use any form of dry shaver, let alone for travelling. Just get one of these:

Because it's very hard getting a reliable source of hot water where I go. And no, I'm not kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Because it's very hard getting a reliable source of hot water where I go. And no, I'm not kidding.
    Use cold then.

I've done it many a time. Our first flat only had a cold tap.

BTW I've tried a lot of electric shavers but have never got a really decent shave, so not for me.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

I am actually struggling to understand why you are struggling to understand why someone would prefer a dry shaver to a wet one and they don't take up much space either :)

I so wanted to like wet shaving and spent quite a bit on new equipment but it is far too much messing about for me when I can just switch an electric one on but of course there are many on here who can wet shave so fast I am envious :)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Use cold then.

BTW I've tried a lot of electric shavers but have never got a really decent shave, so not for me.
    I don't like shaving in cold-water

My penny worth based on experience of both and thick dark stubble.

Braun 9 series good close shave from a days growth to a weeks growth

Philips 9000 series, quicker, smoother, closer shave than Braun but if you have two days growth then you need the clippers first.

Both the most expensive in range and I would always buy the model with wash charge function it just keeps it clean and lasting longer.

With electric you need to use every day not just when you are away.

Also you aren't allowed the blades in had luggage which makes DE shaving a chore on hand luggage trips (not to mention needing the rest of the kit). That said I find disposable BIC 3 Sensitives great for when I travel.

The Easy Home, twin foil rechargeable that Aldi sells/sold, for £24.99 is as good as many of the more expensive ones.
    A 90 min charge gives about 95 mins shaving(about 20 shaves).

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    My penny worth based on experience of both and thick dark stubble.

Braun 9 series good close shave from a days growth to a weeks growth

Philips 9000 series, quicker, smoother, closer shave than Braun but if you have two days growth then you need the clippers first.

Both the most expensive in range and I would always buy the model with wash charge function it just keeps it clean and lasting longer.

With electric you need to use every day not just when you are away.
    Cheers. Thanks for the advice. What is this wash charge function of which you speak?

Use cold then.

If there is no hot water available in this out of the way place you are travelling to will there be electricity to charge/run an electric razor?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

If there is no hot water available in this out of the way place you are travelling to will there be electricity to charge/run an electric razor?
    Yes. There is electric. It's sporadic but there is electric.

What you need is a beard
    😋

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    What you need is a beard

That's what I've done previously. I just don't like the grizzly Adams look anymore.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    There are two main systems (Braun and Phillip) and at least two less common ones (Panasonic and Remington). Each has its advocates and each seems to suit different beards to different degrees.

It seems to be very individual.

Having tried both of the main brands I know which suits me but, having followed the discussion on several previous threads, I have come to the conclusion that the only way to find out is to is to buy one and try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbear View Post
    There are two main systems (Braun and Phillip) and at least two less common ones (Panasonic and Remington). Each has its advocates and each seems to suit different beards to different degrees.

It seems to be very individual.

Having tried both of the main brands I know which suits me but, having followed the discussion on several previous threads, I have come to the conclusion that the only way to find out is to is to buy one and try it out.
    Thanks. Maybe I'll start with one of the base models before spanking some serious dough.

Somehow that sounds like basing the power of a Reliant Scimitar on trying out a Robin.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's easy:

https://www.kellykettle.com/

Piping hot water anywhere in a few minutes.

That's easy:

https://www.kellykettle.com/

Piping hot water anywhere in a few minutes.
    I've got one of them . I still want an electric shaver though.

I wet shave after a weekend of not shaving and use an electric razor during the week. I find a good compromise is a Braun 3-series wet or dry shaver. I use it with some shaving gel and splash of water to get a reasonably close shave with no irritation.

All electric razors need multiple passes though and feel like they grind the stubble away rather than shave it!

Master
    I really fancy an upgrade from the older phillishave that I use and the Braun really appeals but are the foil heads expensive to replace and how often do they need replacing and how do you clean the roil head as I wouldn't be into using the ripoff cleaning system they have!

I've replaced my series 7 head once in three years. To clean, drop a little detergent on the cutters, run it in a cup of warm water then rinse and allow to dry. I don't do this every day. Weekly would do. Before you use it next 'oil' it with the lubricant supplied. At least mine was supplied. Amazon sell it and replacement foils. You can price them there.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I really fancy an upgrade from the older phillishave that I use and the Braun really appeals but are the foil heads expensive to replace and how often do they need replacing and how do you clean the roil head as I wouldn't be into using the ripoff cleaning system they have!
    I find the Braun is light years ahead of anything else. Had mine three years and not had to change the blades, despite using it daily on thick stubble.

The cleaning system really is worth it - makes your shaver like brand new every time! You just rinse off the head and pop it in the charger. I was never willing to pay the stupid prices for the fluid cartridges, though, but a quick search led me to a video on making your own. It is just rubbing alcohol and lemon essential oil!

If you are not in a rush, Argos regularly have half price or better sales. I got mine for under £100 including the cleaner / charger.

I used a Remington MS-2700 for years and it gave a quick and close shave. I tried a Panasonic something or other, which got fantastic reviews, but it wasn't a patch on the Remington. Now I use a Braun S3080 which I bought when on offer on Amazon. Not as close a shave as the Remington and it needs more passes, however it's a lot quieter (bathroom is next to main bedroom) and it seems kinder to my skin with less irritation.

Still got the Remington but I think it's been superseded with an inferior model, which is a shame.

Keep an eye on Amazon as they have some very good shaver offers occasionally.

Cheers,
    Gary

Cheers. Thanks for the advice. What is this wash charge function of which you speak?
    Sorry tried to reply yesterday but it failed, both Braun and Philips make docks that you put the razor in to charge and they rinse the blades as well. All Braun use warm solution that dries quick but only specific Philips do this, mine doesn't but I wish it did. The cleaning solution is pretty cheap.

Remember shop around,

Argos, boot, Amazon and shavers.co.uk

I've always found electric shavers give me a terrible rash after a couple of days use - whatever the model. Nowadays I either wet shave or use a Philips beard trimmer on the lowest setting, so I am left with the merest hint of stubble (and as my beard is now blonde and grey that isn't really an issue!) - works very well,no irritation and the charge lasts ages.

heads up for anyone interested - braun series 3 3040 on amazon today for 33 quid

heads up for anyone interested - braun series 3 3040 on amazon today for 33 quid
    Bargain. Thanks for the heads up...bought as a travel shaver to go in my overnight bag.

Master
    The problem I have is that I have narrowed it down to the Braun 9 series or the Panasonic ES LV 95 and both are top of the range and the most expensive razors they do so am I spending too much on the top end razors, then again if I buy one I want a good one :) damn decisions decisions!

Has anyone tried the Philips oneblade system? Any good?

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    The problem I have is that I have narrowed it down to the Braun 9 series or the Panasonic ES LV 95 and both are top of the range and the most expensive razors they do so am I spending too much on the top end razors, then again if I buy one I want a good one :) damn decisions decisions!
    When you buy one, think about what you want. All of the 9 series, for example, might use the same 'shaving technology', but the higher end ones will contain non-essentials (to many people) like LCD displays. The shave will be the same across all the shavers in that series!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gregwhitehouse View Post
    When you buy one, think about what you want. All of the 9 series, for example, might use the same 'shaving technology', but the higher end ones will contain non-essentials (to many people) like LCD displays. The shave will be the same across all the shavers in that series!
    I know what you mean I think that the difference as well is that some come with cleaning units and are they worth it well on the Panasonic probably as the price difference is only a tenner!