closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Considering an older omega dress watch.

Journeyman

Considering an older omega dress watch.

Been searching online and in shop windows for a while, looking to get an Omega (ideally) watch on a leather strap up to about £1000. Saw these in a shop window in Brighton and wondered what you thought on price/ if I'm going in the right direction? Apologies if the photo is rubbish to tell anything from but have been walking past these two watches for a couple weeks and thought it was worth asking.

Reason for wanting an Omega is that I have always liked the brand, want to get a speedmaster eventually but this a baby step until that day. Also would like it to be ideally automatic and not quartz.

Master
    I'd go for a speedie auto. You should get me for sub £1000 if your patient... Try chrono24 or eBay matey :)

Master
    I would be looking for a Constellation of that era, in fact I've got one, its a fabulous watch.

Not sure on prices these days but would think you could get one within your budget.

Journeyman
    Know much about the types in the photo? Is the one on the left a constellation ?

I have considered an Speedy Auto, all looked a bit rough at that end of the price spectrum.

Cheers for the replies though.

Master
    I have a couple of 60s seamasters that I use as dress watches .
    Brendan's just renovated two of them for me .

I find Seamasters of this vintage really lovely things , in fact I prefer them to the modern Omegas which I have to say don't do much for me.

You should be able to pick them up for a lot less than £1000.
    Try birthyearwatches

Of the two pictured the left hand Geneve is by far the more interesting watch and yet is priced more cheaply?

At that time the Geneve models were just below the Connies and above the Seamasters in the pecking order and above no-names like the one on the right.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

One of my first few watches was an omega dress watch. Picture below I gave £300 for this from a well established jeweller near me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had various vintage Omega, including a '72 Geneve, cal. 613 manual wind, '82 Deville International Quartz, and my current '72 Seamaster f300 cone. Prices have been in the £300 region, though admittedly these prices are relative bargains due to us generous folk! For example I've seen the cal.613 kin for closer to £600 (have a look at Poshtime for instance). As for the f300 cone, some dealers ask close on 3 times 'our' going rate! So the prices you have seen in the shop are high, but not unrepresentative. Looking at them I would say you will probably pick a similar watch up here, for nearer £300 to £500 depending on condition. So my advice is be patient and don't stump up the profit. Also if you happen to be able to browse RLT there is a lovely 1974 Omega with Box and papers which the owner is looking to trade and they have valued it at a very generous indeed £280. So Be patient and see what comes up withing our walls. This also has the advantage of if you do decide to sell someone else on the forum gets the benefit as you can pass on the good will. I paid close on £1,000 for a Seamaster 120m and then passed it on within the forums for half that. So that gives you an indication of the mark up some dealers may work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Of the two pictured the left hand Geneve is by far the more interesting watch and yet is priced more cheaply?

At that time the Geneve models were just below the Connies and above the Seamasters in the pecking order and above no-names like the one on the right.
    I'm wondering if the fact the one on the right is from 1966 (50th Birthday this year) would have anything to do with the higher price?

Master
    I have several older Omegas like these and I love them but have never paid more than £400 for one. I think the difference in value may be in the fact that the one on the RHS is auto and on the left man wind. I too much prefer the dial of that on the left. The case material will greatly affect their value/price, if these are 9K gold then the prices are a little rich but probably not too far out of line for Brighton or London. If they are plated or filled then they are way more expensive than they should be, if 18K then not too far off the likes of eBay.

Journeyman
    Been looking for one for ages... Slim pickings on this forum...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    I've had various vintage Omega, including a '72 Geneve, cal. 613 manual wind, '82 Deville International Quartz, and my current '72 Seamaster f300 cone. Prices have been in the £300 region, though admittedly these prices are relative bargains due to us generous folk! For example I've seen the cal.613 kin for closer to £600 (have a look at Poshtime for instance). As for the f300 cone, some dealers ask close on 3 times 'our' going rate! So the prices you have seen in the shop are high, but not unrepresentative. Looking at them I would say you will probably pick a similar watch up here, for nearer £300 to £500 depending on condition. So my advice is be patient and don't stump up the profit. Also if you happen to be able to browse RLT there is a lovely 1974 Omega with Box and papers which the owner is looking to trade and they have valued it at a very generous indeed £280. So Be patient and see what comes up withing our walls. This also has the advantage of if you do decide to sell someone else on the forum gets the benefit as you can pass on the good will. I paid close on £1,000 for a Seamaster 120m and then passed it on within the forums for half that. So that gives you an indication of the mark up some dealers may work on.
    Thanks for the detailed response, I haven't come across 'RLT' is this another watch forum or a dealer?

Will keep an eye out for one that comes up, the idea of getting a watch with box and papers appeals and think I will hold out for something in particularly good condition. Will these watches often come with the original strap? I imagine not due to there age.

Jack

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    One of my first few watches was an omega dress watch. Picture below I gave £300 for this from a well established jeweller near me.

Great looking watch, love the strap

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I have a couple of 60s seamasters that I use as dress watches .
    Brendan's just renovated two of them for me .

I find Seamasters of this vintage really lovely things , in fact I prefer them to the modern Omegas which I have to say don't do much for me.

You should be able to pick them up for a lot less than £1000.
    Try birthyearwatches
    Thanks for the recommendation. Have just had a look through the website, not many for my birth year but good source or a different variety of watches and reasonably priced too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaacck View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. Have just had a look through the website, not many for my birth year but good source or a different variety of watches and reasonably priced too.
    Scott that runs it is a decent straight up bloke too, which is always a bonus when doing business over the internet.

Master
    Blog Entries

This is my 1965 Seamaster that was restored by Paul on here. Was my grandads.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

That is a beauty.

Master
    My pair, both man wind 9K, LHS 1969 RHS 1949:

Last edited by Padders; 27th July 2016 at 20:22.

Again, really elegant Padders, I'm currently at the polar opposite of these with the stark architectural 70's modernity of the f300 cone. In contrast its hard to believe it comes from the same era. It looks like the new age modern art and way out 70's sculptures we got in town centres, by comparison! I can imagine that these caused quiet a few gasps of disbelief from old school tie 'sergeant major types' back in the day.

Apprentice
    Recieved my grand dads old manual omega a couple of years ago. The manual Winding and small case really differs it from the watches of today.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post

Wow that's stunning. Been offered a similar watch but not in this condition. Would be after something like this ideally

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    Again, really elegant Padders, I'm currently at the polar opposite of these with the stark architectural 70's modernity of the f300 cone. In contrast its hard to believe it comes from the same era. It looks like the new age modern art and way out 70's sculptures we got in town centres, by comparison! I can imagine that these caused quiet a few gasps of disbelief from old school tie 'sergeant major types' back in the day.

I have one of those too Nige!

Master
    You could probably get a Connie 561 movement for that money, possibly one of the 100,000 batch that passed as Chronometer's with especially good results Oct 64 - Feb 66??? A tremendous fete of engineering. Connie's were the top end. The Pie-pans may cost more so non pie pan are likely to be the most price accessible.
    Take your time looking as they are beautiful but not too rare so plenty of opportunity.

Craftsman
    There are loads about so agree about waiting for the right one. But a lot have poorly refinished dials or butchered cases so be careful. Buying from a trusted seller minimises the risk, but at a price. I got this 1970 beauty below from Mike Wood (The Old Watch Shop), it might be worth giving him a call and explaining what you're looking for.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    There are loads about so agree about waiting for the right one. But a lot have poorly refinished dials or butchered cases so be careful. Buying from a trusted seller minimises the risk, but at a price. I got this 1970 beauty below from Mike Wood (The Old Watch Shop), it might be worth giving him a call and explaining what you're looking for.

That is a beauty, agree on the waiting also. In no rush so would like to get one that would be keeper.

If anybody has something they may consider letting go that fits the description feel free to message me.

I too bought an old Omega from Mike Wood. There's one here (near the bottom) at well under your budget:

http://www.theoldwatchshop.com/omega.html

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wow that's stunning. Been offered a similar watch but not in this condition. Would be after something like this ideally

Original dial and hands and a replated case. Plexi polished.

Movement serviced. All done by walkerwel1958 (Paul) on here.

Banned
    Been searching online and in shop windows for a while, looking to get an Omega (ideally) watch on a leather strap up to about £1000. Saw these in a shop window in Brighton and wondered what you thought on price/ if I'm going in the right direction? Apologies if the photo is rubbish to tell anything from but have been walking past these two watches for a couple weeks and thought it was worth asking.

Reason for wanting an Omega is that I have always liked the brand, want to get a speedmaster eventually but this a baby step until that day. Also would like it to be ideally automatic and not quartz.
    Good luck finding a quartz one from the sixties... If you want a Speedmaster, then save up for it. While some old Omega dress watches are nice, especially if they are well restored, then bear mind in the fact that these watches are still very common and some would say boring. If you find an old Omega that you love to bits, has had a documented service by someone reputable and the price is right (a lot cheaper than the ones in that window), then buying would be ok. Otherwise I suggest you avoid.
    Last edited by GrandS; 27th July 2016 at 23:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    I too bought an old Omega from Mike Wood. There's one here (near the bottom) at well under your budget:

http://www.theoldwatchshop.com/omega.html
    This one is rather lovely for less than 500 notes. Depends what you like I guess but I love the patina on the dial here, and that case...

upload pictures

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post

Great pic and clean watch.

I've got the same model untouched by human hand.

In fact I have dozens of older Omega models here from when you could pick them up for less than a hundred quid.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    While some old Omega dress watches are nice, especially if they are well restored, then bear mind in the fact that these watches are still very common and some would say boring.
    You can't lump them all in together.

I doubt you have seen one of these.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Omega did many different variants during the 60s, and most of them are excellent quality......boring isn`t a phrase I`d use.

Buying is getting harder; as prices rise the level of mediocrity seems to rise too. Most of the stuff on ebay is either overpriced, mediocre, or franken. These watches are no longer cheap to sort out owing to the cost/availability of parts. I think the powers-that-be in the higher echelons of Swatch Group would be happier if these relatively cheap and plentiful vintage Omegas didn`t exist, they don`t fit the current image that Swatch Group are trying to develop for the Omega brand. That's ironic considering the in-house movements and the understated quality of their old stuff. I genuinely wonder if Swatch Group would like to see the number of old Omegas in circulation fall drastically.

Best advice I can give the Op is to handle a few; don`t be taken in with buying online, get your arse out there and track some examples down. That's the only way to learn the difference between the good and not-so-good stuff.........it takes time, you can`t become knowledgeable overnight by reading a few internet articles.

Personally, I`d avoid scruffy cases and spotty dials. These watches were made to look sharp and smart; unlike some vintage divers I don`t think most old Omegas wear patina well and that's why I`m always happy to get tatty dials restored and refinish scruffy cases. Get them looking like were supposed to and many of these watches really 'pop' on the wrist........they're no meant to look shabby.

Paul

Do I need an excuse to post mine?

It's on the tattier end of Paul's scale though, but I love it.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 28th July 2016 at 16:01.

^^^

Nice.

I've got similar but not a SM..

Cheers,
    Neil.

One thing I would say, though, is that there are a lot of similar watches from lesser known makes which sell for a lot less than Omegas.

If you want an Omega, you'll pay for the name and prices DO seem to be on the up, judging from a quick scan of Chrono24 and eBay...

M

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    One thing I would say, though, is that there are a lot of similar watches from lesser known makes which sell for a lot less than Omegas.

If you want an Omega, you'll pay for the name and prices DO seem to be on the up, judging from a quick scan of Chrono24 and eBay...

M
    Agreed!

Paul

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Omega did many different variants during the 60s, and most of them are excellent quality......boring isn`t a phrase I`d use.

Buying is getting harder; as prices rise the level of mediocrity seems to rise too. Most of the stuff on ebay is either overpriced, mediocre, or franken. These watches are no longer cheap to sort out owing to the cost/availability of parts. I think the powers-that-be in the higher echelons of Swatch Group would be happier if these relatively cheap and plentiful vintage Omegas didn`t exist, they don`t fit the current image that Swatch Group are trying to develop for the Omega brand. That's ironic considering the in-house movements and the understated quality of their old stuff. I genuinely wonder if Swatch Group would like to see the number of old Omegas in circulation fall drastically.

Best advice I can give the Op is to handle a few; don`t be taken in with buying online, get your arse out there and track some examples down. That's the only way to learn the difference between the good and not-so-good stuff.........it takes time, you can`t become knowledgeable overnight by reading a few internet articles.

Personally, I`d avoid scruffy cases and spotty dials. These watches were made to look sharp and smart; unlike some vintage divers I don`t think most old Omegas wear patina well and that's why I`m always happy to get tatty dials restored and refinish scruffy cases. Get them looking like were supposed to and many of these watches really 'pop' on the wrist........they're no meant to look shabby.

Paul
    Excellent advice from Paul, who really knows what he is talking about.

The ones the OP is asking about seem to me to be overpriced - but, even so, you see that level of pricing all the time at top-end retailers.

Far from being boring, these pieces are from the heyday of quality mechanical watches.

Nothing boring at all about these - they are fine watches that simply ooze quality

If my De Ville pocket watch was capable of thought and could speak it would probably say 'Hi' to its cousins pictured above. Sadly it doesn't so can't.
    It does have a 601 movement though which is something it shares with a few of them

Good luck with your search

Agreed!

Paul
    Indeed. I'm very taken with these 60's Omegas after a similar thread on here but didn't want to risk £800 until I'd learned a lot more. I picked this up for a tenth of that. No idea how the quality compares (I'd quite like to know) but the style works for me.

It looks good

Thank you. That pocket watch is a peach, modern and classic at the same time.

Master
    I agree with walkerwek that it’s important to take your time and become familiar with how these watches might have looked when new. For many watches, the look of the watch, its distinctiveness and attractiveness derive from how sharp or flat the edges and facets are, the character of the graining of the case and other details that can sometimes get missed when buying. I think that applies even more to freshly cleaned, gold cased Omegas in shop windows. And as for dials, again originality is important if you want to be content with the watch longer term.

Journeyman

Paul
    Cheers for the advice, they do seem like a bargain if you find a decent one. Wouldn't be surprised if the swatch group were to buy up lots of old Omega dress watches to get them off the market. Put them in a big warehouse somewhere.

Will take your advice and get out and see some in person, have seen the quality of some that have been posted on this thread and seem to be a lot higher than what I have seen on various online sites. I don't mind a bit of patina though, adds character

Jack
    Last edited by Jaacck; 28th July 2016 at 20:49.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Do I need an excuse to post mine?

It's on the tattier end of Paul's scale though, but I love it.

M.
    Love the look of this one, has real character

Craftsman
    This is a great thread, some lovely old Omegas pictured. It's inspired me to get mine out and wear it tonight.

Craftsman
    Where to find a good one tho!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    You can't lump them all in together.

I doubt you have seen one of these.

Was that mine once upon a time Neil? Or did I just pester you for it?

I had the red and blue versions and heard whispers of a green model, but collecting the trio never happened and the others were sold off a couple of years ago.
    Of all my vintage Omega watches (and there must have been 100+ over the years) that red Geneve is the only one I really miss. Ended up with a big collector from Canada as I recall.

These coloured Geneve models were never available in shops, there were some sort of staff bonus for Omega employees. Rare as rocking horse poop.

Grand Master
    I've never seen the red or blue Geneve featured here before, never knew they existed. Have to admit I would've dismissed them as refinished........proves how wrong you can be!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Was that mine once upon a time Neil? Or did I just pester you for it?

I had the red and blue versions and heard whispers of a green model, but collecting the trio never happened and the others were sold off a couple of years ago.
    Of all my vintage Omega watches (and there must have been 100+ over the years) that red Geneve is the only one I really miss. Ended up with a big collector from Canada as I recall.

These coloured Geneve models were never available in shops, there were some sort of staff bonus for Omega employees. Rare as rocking horse poop.
    Not yours, I've had it a while. I do remember your red one though.

I've seen a couple of other blue ones, your red one was the only one I've seen a pic of but I've never seen a green one.

I've never heard of the staff bonus thing but they were definitely only made in very small numbers and consequently very rare.

I must admit I have mused in the past as to the value.
    Last edited by Neil.C; 30th July 2016 at 07:08.
    Cheers,
    Neil.