closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sell 4 watches for 1?

Banned

Sell 4 watches for 1?

I have a Smiths PRS-40, Precista PRS-18Q, Precista PRS-14 and a Citizen Excalibur.

I thought I might like to sell them all to buy 1 watch of better quality. But I really can't think of a watch around the estimated £700 I would make from selling up, that is 'better'.

In fact I'm finding it difficult to find a £700 watch that I would want in place for any 1 of my Timefactors watches. With names like Fricker and Kemmner involved in the construction of them, I'm finding it hard to find something that will be clearly better. My Citizen Excalibur is actually very nice for an Argos Special! Although I didn't get it form there.

Here are my Timefactors Trio again

And my Excalibur

So far on my radar are;

Tzinn 104

Longtrousers Hydro Conquest

Seiko Salmon

This

This

It's an enjoyable situation to be in and I'm having fun going back and forth on what to do.

Would you sell up if you were in my situation? And if so what watch would you buy? Not necessarily from my list.

Excluding vintage, I find that the 36 mm Nomos Club is by far the most appealing watch avaliable around this price.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Excluding vintage, I find that the 36 mm Nomos Club is by far the most appealing watch avaliable around this price.
    This is also my advice.

It's unfortunate that it's TF watches you're thinking of consolidating, because they represent some of the best value, 'punching above their weight' watches on the market. That means to get something better you'd have to spend considerably more than if you were consolidating many other similarly-priced watches.

For around the £700 mark a second-hand PRS-21 (a couple on SC recently have been priced even lower) would represent great value and exceptional quality.

Sell them all and go for the Sinn.

Sell the citizen and buy a Speedbird. It's visually similar to the Stowa and you'd still have your other three of Eddie's.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Thirded, but for less money, the Sinn 556a/i is, IMO, one of the best sub £1000 watches out there.

Master
    I wouldn't sell em, they are interesting watches in their own right, selling them for and going for one Sinn. Not so sure. Why not save up and get a Seiko Pogue knocking around £400-£500 and very collectable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I wouldn't sell em, they are interesting watches in their own right, selling them for and going for one Sinn. Not so sure. Why not save up and get a Seiko Pogue knocking around £400-£500 and very collectable.
    The consolidation idea is great in principle but in your specific case I wouldn't sell them either. I like the Nomos suggestion but those 4 do punch way above their price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr TPG View Post
    Thirded, but for less money, the Sinn 556a/i is, IMO, one of the best sub £1000 watches out there.
    But is it twice as good as the speedbird ?
    On a bracelet it is twice the price
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I have had a longtrousers hydroconquest and although it is a really nice watch I am happier with my PRS82 and PRS68.

I am hoping to get a Speedbird 3 next with only the Padi Turtle competing for the £, I am happier playing in the lower leagues and Eddies are the best down in that bracket

The Voyager is very special if you like big/heavy watches

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I have had a longtrousers hydroconquest
    Don't you love auto correct?

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Don't you love auto correct?
    I couldnt resist sorry

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    But is it twice as good as the speedbird ?
    On a bracelet it is twice the price
    The Speedbird is a brilliant watch which punches far, far above it's weight, but I do think the Sinn stands above it in the originality of the design. Used values are not so far apart - £100-150 between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr TPG View Post
    The Speedbird is a brilliant watch which punches far, far above it's weight, but I do think the Sinn stands above it in the originality of the design. Used values are not so far apart - £100-150 between the two.
    I agree that the sinn is a bit more refined, but I don't think that used the bracelet versions go for only 100-150 more than a used sb , but then I am a bit out of touch these days

I like the Sinn.

And for me, if I could take 4 watches down to one, I absolutely would.

Sell 4 watches for 1?

How about a Junghans Max Bill automatic?
    Last edited by Mystery Scott; 23rd July 2016 at 08:29.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    How about a Junghans Max Bill automatic?
    How strange !!!
    A couple of months ago I sold three watches (Smiths PRS36, Gerlach Sokol 1000 and Kemmner Flieger) and bought this.

Despite selling some nice watches I have absolutely no regrets at all. Go for it ! the Sinn is a lovely watch.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think consolidating for the Sinn is a good idea. It's a superb watch and you only have one wrist.
    (It beats the hydroconqiest for quality by a mile also. I've owned both.)

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I think consolidating for the Sinn is a good idea. It's a superb watch and you only have one wrist.
    (It beats the hydroconqiest for quality by a mile also. I've owned both.)
    I agree with Celia. I've gone down to two watches and it's brilliant although I've only worn the 6309 since it arrived a few weeks ago. The HC is (IMHO) too blingy, the bracelet is rattly and those crown guards - jeez!!!!

The Sinn oozes class and for me is well worthy if chopping in your four.

Craftsman
    Based on the versatility of your current collection, I would also support streamlining it down to one. If you find an area lacking, you could pick up something to complement the (say) Sinn at a later date.

There is some sense in rationalising as 3 of your watches are very similar. The Sinn is a good watch, as is the 556i, but they are not a massive step up from your 14. I second the Nomos Club as the best bang for buck horologically, if the style appeals. I would be very tempted to keep the 18, as it's a brilliant beater

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of those the Sinn is by far the standout to me, superb quality and looks far more expensive than its price tag. Beautiful design, clarity, useful day /date without spoiling the dial, and those syringe hands are probably my favourite hand set overall.

Could be worth considering the Squale 1521 also to throw another great watch at the price point into the mix.

If it were possible to do a straight swap - those four for a Sinn 104, I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.

I don't have as much experience of the brands as some will here, but I'm a fan of both TFs and Sinn. I have a 556i, and a prs-29a, and have previously owned a prs-10 and prs-18q.

Banned
    Decided to stick with what I have for the time being. Was at a get together yesterday and handled some very nice watches and got a good idea of what I would be getting if I sold up...

The Helson felt the best of the bunch. The finishing was amazing, just everything was perfect and it looks great too.

I think the Sinn 103 had a great retro feel with acrylic crystal, friction bezel and also looks great even though I don't like chronographs much.

I anylised the Tudor and Longines together. The Tudor bracelet was better but the Longines impressed me more.

Thanks for the recommendations but the Nomos us far too small and at least £300 over my budget. The Max Bill is nice but again way over my budget. Unless you want to chip in! Only joking I don't the Max Bill much.

Very happy with what I have, especially my first batch PRS14!

Banned
    Ended up selling up for a Sinn 104

Put a Eulit Pazific perlon on it. Super comfy.

^^^^That would have been my choice too - tremendous.

Banned
    Thanks. I took a bit of a risk selling what I had because I really liked them. It has taken me a while to get used to the Sinn, a grower I think it's called!

good call.

That Sinn is beautiful

Also, a good call on the Nomos Club, prob the nicest white/cream dial anywhere and the hands are a beaut

Banned
    The nomos 36mm on my flat 7+ inch wrist would look very small. I would rather have a big watch than a small watch.

But it does seem like all the cool kids wear Nomos...

^
    You might be surprised at how large Nomos' 36 mm watches actually wear. My wrist is 200 mm around (7 7/8") and I prefer its proportions and way it looks on my wrist to the bigger versions after trying them. It really isn't a small watch; the term I'd use to describe the fit would be "normal".

But the 104 is an excellent watch, too. I think Sinn does a great job with the 103/104 case style; it's a substantial watch that still has a lot classic appeal, and doesn't end up looking trendy or caricatured, as so many others do. Omega's Speedmaster is exemplefies of this kind of big-but-not-bloated design as well, and those never go out of style.