timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex advice please.

Master

Rolex advice please.

Hi guys,
    Thinking about buying this

Dec 14 B+P £17665.

Can't find many for sale to decide whether to push for a further discount or if it is a good price already.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Master
    Going to be much more difficult to price match that as there wont be that many about.

Looks great though and good to see someone buying something different.

Master
    Deckard81

That is a difficult question and it is a lot of money to tie up in a single watch where the value is so arbitrary.

Why not wait a while (let the prices drop) and go for one of the new ceramic models that look really classy and will always be easy to move on if you so wish.

SS Daytonas are always a best buy.

Regards

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

SS Daytonas are always a best buy.
    That is a myth put about by people who own then. Whilst I agree that the new SS Ceramic with white dial is a stunner, the previous SS white dial looked plain - I much prefered the zenith models with the black sub dial rings - looked much better.

The non all SS versions give you dial options other than good old black and white.

Ultimately your call Gab, but I have seen better combinations, the new green dial and all gold watch is an absolute stunner.

Master
    Not my cup o' tea. But do you want it? Are you thinking it's an investment? If former get it. I never would buy a watch just because a forum said "yay" for £100 never mind what you're proposing.

J

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    That is a myth put about by people who own then. Whilst I agree that the new SS Ceramic with white dial is a stunner, the previous SS white dial looked plain - I much prefered the zenith models with the black sub dial rings - looked much better.

The non all SS versions give you dial options other than good old black and white.

Ultimately your call Gab, but I have seen better combinations, the new green dial and all gold watch is an absolute stunner.
    Wallasey

When I said SS Daytonas are always a best buy, I meant that the have lower rates of depreciation and are usually easier to sell.

I have a plain Zenith model 16520 which is plain humble SS and it is quite favoured.

Regards

Mick

Master
    No idea on value, but it looks amazing... If I could I would!

Is it new or pre owned? If irc these can be had commonly for around £18kish for a brand new grey sourced watch. I love these and would love one one day but as others will say as well as me you can have 2 or 3 steel Rolex sports models for the one gold piece..

Master
    Thank you all.
    I obviously like it, otherwise I wouldn't contemplate buying it.
    Investment in a gold Rolex? Is there such a thing?
    SS and RG versions of the Daytona feel and wear very differently. Same model but very different watches.
    If yeti is correct, and I assume he is, than I'll pass, that one is 2nd hand.
    Thank you all again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Wallasey

When I said SS Daytonas are always a best buy, I meant that the have lower rates of depreciation and are usually easier to sell.

I have a plain Zenith model 16520 which is plain humble SS and it is quite favoured.

Regards

Mick
    You are right Mick, I was considering the previous model in SS with a white face and with the tan coloured steel circles on the sub dials it just looked drab IMHO.

The zeniths are much better with the black sub dials, but a holy grail would be SS Mark 1 floating dial with super rare porcelain dial - last one I saw was €50,000 euros.

The SS models are more favoured by people and therefore easier to sell as there is more demand for them, but the TT and all gold versions give you different dial options that are not available on SS - like the one that Gab was considering.

Master
    You are right Mick, I was considering the previous model in SS with a white face and with the tan coloured steel circles on the sub dials it just looked drab IMHO.

The zeniths are much better with the black sub dials, but a holy grail would be SS Mark 1 floating dial with super rare porcelain dial - last one I saw was €50,000 euros.

The SS models are more favoured by people and therefore easier to sell as there is more demand for them, but the TT and all gold versions give you different dial options that are not available on SS - like the one that Gab was considering.
    Hi Wallasey

I am ultra boring and ultra conservative and probably remarkably dull and all of my four Rolex are SS. I must admit I don't like any yellow gold Rolex because the chunky bracelet makes them look a bit loud for my plain taste.

Regards

Mick

Master

It's not a myth though, the SS hold their values far better than precious metals. Same with most SS Rolexes when comparing.

I now have the new ceramic and the last one, both in white dial and they are both stunning :-)

Master
    Sorry to pour scorn on your object of desire, but that isn't nice! The numbers on the dial!!! They are horrid! Too big, wrong colour, too prominent and look cheap. My warped personal aesthestic view obviously.

Grand Master
    I probably like yellow gold a lot more than many on here, but I find the gold Rolexes a bit too blingy even for my tastes. Another flaw with this watch is the difficulty in picking out the hands against the dial background, watches that are hard to read at a glance irritate me more as I get older and I fear this could be in that very category.

Personally, I`d go for the bimetal with a white dial and save a big chunk of money. I own a few vintage gold watches which wear nicely on straps, I`m not averse to gold, but this one's just a bit too gold for me.

It's a helluva lot of money to tie up in one watch that would have to be worn with care; gold watches mark easily and there are places where it isn`t a good idea to wear something like this. Can`t help thinking that 2 or 3 nice watches for the same money makes more sense.....to me at least.

You ask for opinions, you get them.....at the end of the day it's up to you, but I`d think carefully before taking the plunge on this one.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 22nd July 2016 at 16:41.

Master
    Yellow gold with brown dial? That will be at best a niche interest, rather like the root beer GMT but even more so with it being full yellow gold so it may go either way, either it will be worth buttons (relatively speaking) since there is no demand or conversely the rarity will make it hot property. I personally think is awful and would lean towards the former opinion buy I acknowledge that in Rolex circles normal logic does't always apply.

I ask again. Do you really want gold and brown?

Master
    Blog Entries

Gold Rolex Daytona

Hi all,

My own thoughts are that this is a beautiful watch and if you can afford it and you like it, do it. You don't need anyone elses opion its your money and taste. As investments go with a Daytona's I would buy an earlier Zenith white dial version (floating, 3 liner, inverted 6, SEL luminova) or Patrizzi black dial. Or wait for the ceramic versions to settle down if you fancy one but not at todays crazy market price.

Cheers,
    M

Banned
    Don't, just don't. It looks like a blingy cheap fake. If you want a Rolex I suggest you choose one of their classic, well known beauties. There are plenty to choose from.

Is it a good price? Go to another dealer and tell him you have one that is a year old in good condition and ask what he will give you for it. Then decide if it is a good price.
    Last edited by GrandS; 22nd July 2016 at 18:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Don't, just don't. It looks like a blingy cheap fake. If you want a Rolex I suggest you choose one of their classic, well known beauties. There are plenty to choose from.

Is it a good price? Go to another dealer and tell him you have one a year old in good condition and ask what he will give you for it. Then decide if it is a good price.
    Most Rolex dealers don't take children in part-ex. You could always try Haywood, chimneys won't sweep themselves...
    Last edited by Padders; 22nd July 2016 at 19:38.

Master
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not going to buy it but BTW is rose gold, not yellow, just a poor iPhone picture in the shop

Personally, if I were to buy a gold Daytona, it would have to be white gold and probably on a rubber B

Am a fan of gold Daytonas and have a couple but this would not be my choice.
    But, if you like it- that's what matters.
    Cannot be of help re price.

Journeyman

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Personally, if I were to buy a gold Daytona, it would have to be white gold and probably on a rubber B
    Strongly Agree!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You don't count. You have a couple of nearly every watch ever produced....;-p

Don't, just don't. It looks like a blingy cheap fake.
    ^^ This. It's likely not what you want to hear, but I would say 9/10ths of the general population will assume this to be "a blingy cheap fake." But it's your wrist, your cash. If you have the courage of your convictions, buy it and wear it.

Craftsman

buy

What are you going to buy instead?

Craftsman

Is it a good price? Go to another dealer and tell him you have one that is a year old in good condition and ask what he will give you for it. Then decide if it is a good price.
    Again you consistently prove you know Jack about watches .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not going to buy it but BTW is rose gold, not yellow, just a poor iPhone picture in the shop
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    ^^ This. It's likely not what you want to hear, but I would say 9/10ths of the general population will assume this to be "a blingy cheap fake." But it's your wrist, your cash. If you have the courage of your convictions, buy it and wear it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    Again you consistently prove you know Jack about watches .
    Apparently many people on this forum don't know Jack. Are you a knowledgeable connosewer of blingy fake look a likes, are you? Please give us the benefit of your experience and knowledge and explain how the OP would benefit from buying that thing. Do you by any chance own one? If so, then wear the thing in good health and say hi to your homies.
    Last edited by GrandS; 2nd August 2016 at 04:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Hi guys,
    Thinking about buying this

Dec 14 B+P £17665.

Can't find many for sale to decide whether to push for a further discount or if it is a good price already.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Love this model, but prefer the other two dials. Buy it and get the ivory or the panda:

And anyone who thinks it looks cheap or fake, obviously have never come close to one. Personally I prefer the more classic yellow gold but it depends what else you wear with it etc.