closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gin...A few recommendations please

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    My current favourite is Opihr, an oriental gin, it's perfect with a slice of root ginger!

https://www.masterofmalt.com/gin/g-a...al-spiced-gin/
    Ditto my current favourite £18 delivered on Amazon

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Napue from Finland is unbeatable, as is their way of serving with rosemary & cranberries.

http://kyrodistillery.com/recipes/napue-gin-tonic/#

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Craft gin member?

Really like the Napue, current favourite is the AK gin, Gin Mare and my own infused damson gin but always have a selection of 10+ bottles in the cupboard!

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I wish I had a "go to" gin to recommend but honestly with all the choice out there at the moment you'd be nuts to stick to one brand. Get thee to "drinkshop.com" and indulge. I've just bought my wife a bottle of another unusual gin... i forget the name but its blue and turns pink if you add tonic water (something about altering the PH level). Also picked up a 1 litre glass that looks like a fishbowl and an ice crusher, as naff as that sounds she'll be made up. :) :) :)

We usually have half a dozen different ones in the house and the only bottle we've finished and replaced with the same this year is the Bombay Sapphire. Mind you we have a bottle of "pink 47" (also from drinkshop) which is close to empty and that's been a very nice drop. Bit girly, mind...
    Is that 6 Dogs ? Had this is South Africa the other week and glad to say I brought a bottle back with me is great gin although looks like meths before you pour it out !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Is that 6 Dogs ? Had this is South Africa the other week and glad to say I brought a bottle back with me is great gin although looks like meths before you pour it out !

Nope, I've just had a look and its called sharish "blue magic". Bit of a novelty, I'll report back regarding the taste. ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Craft gin member?

Really like the Napue, current favourite is the AK gin, Gin Mare and my own infused damson gin but always have a selection of 10+ bottles in the cupboard!
    Never joined, worth doing?

I got introduced through a Finnish friend of mine & never looked back.

After gaining 5kg on holiday, I’m taking a week off until Xmas & then a dry January.

Tipple for me currently is therefore Seedlip. Great ‘alcohol free botanical’, just hurts that it’s £27 a bottle given there is no duty involved!

Journeyman
    Don't know if it's already been suggested but the Aldi gin is pretty decent for the money. Came up good in blind taste tests earlier this year against much more expensive gin.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Never joined, worth doing?

I got introduced through a Finnish friend of mine & never looked back.

After gaining 5kg on holiday, I’m taking a week off until Xmas & then a dry January.

Tipple for me currently is therefore Seedlip. Great ‘alcohol free botanical’, just hurts that it’s £27 a bottle given there is no duty involved!

We've just stopped it after 18 months or every other month delivery. It's very good and works out £40 per package with a bottle of gin and then a selection of extras. Quite hit andmiss with the gins, some excellent some average and only had 1 unpleasant bottle in that time which is probably more to do with us really not liking ginger. You try a lot of things that aren't easily accessible and the extras are usual interesting as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    We've just stopped it after 18 months or every other month delivery. It's very good and works out £40 per package with a bottle of gin and then a selection of extras. Quite hit andmiss with the gins, some excellent some average and only had 1 unpleasant bottle in that time which is probably more to do with us really not liking ginger. You try a lot of things that aren't easily accessible and the extras are usual interesting as well.
    Cheers Olly, will give it a go

Craftsman
    Gin Mare all the way. A fantastic Mediterranean flavoured gin

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Gin leads to “Gincidents”.

Trust me on this.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Gin leads to “Gincidents”.

Trust me on this.
    That's a very ginsightful comment. Probably.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    Gin Mare all the way. A fantastic Mediterranean flavoured gin

Got a bottle last year from Aldi for £22.

Just been on Eurostar and business lounge had this at the self service bar

https://www.craftginclub.co.uk/ginne...thday-with-gin

Very nice!

Master
    My recommendations go with

Warner Edwards Rhubarb Gin
    Blackwoods 60
    Monkey 47

I'm also working my way through a bottle of Mayfield Gin and a bottle of Gin Mare but I'm undecided if they are worth the price premium.

Craftsman
    Hendricks and palmers 44 both go down well.

Slingsby's Rhubarb.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Slingsby's Rhubarb.
    I may have mentioned this before, but it's remarkably simple to make your own rhubarb gin. You can control the amount of sugar / sweetness and it really does taste *better* than most commercially available flavoured gins.

Craftsman
    My favourite gin is Liverpool Gin, but it has got quite pricey since the company was sold.

I also enjoy Plymouth, Tanqueray 10 and from left field, Nordes from Spain which is rather floral due to the use of Albariño grape husks in the making.

Cheers,

Craftsman
    Nordes is excellent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Slingsby's Rhubarb.
    Try it with lemon tonic... lovely!

Apprentice
    Gunpowder is good but which tonic?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-T View Post
    Gunpowder is good but which tonic?
    Any good* tonic (not flavored). Very few sensible gins need anything else, to be honest. IIRC, they suggest a pink grapefruit garnish, but there can't be many of us who have one of those lying around, waiting for a g'n't. Probably.

*Good = not flat. And not diet.
    Last edited by Broussard; 29th December 2017 at 08:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Any good* tonic (not flavored). Very few sensible gins need anything else, to be honest. IIRC, they suggest a pink grapefruit garnish, but there can't be many of us who have one of those lying around, waiting got a g'n't. Probably.

*Good = not flat. And not diet.
    Agree with this. Does my box in when I seem to get a fruit salad in a glass now instead of my g-n-t. If gin needs a load of stuff wedged into the glass to "enhance" it then the basic recipe can't be that good in my mind.

Silentpool / botanist / Orphir to name a few with one of those little tins of fevertree tonic, 3 cubes if ice, job done.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Agree with this. Does my box in when I seem to get a fruit salad in a glass now instead of my g-n-t. If gin needs a load of stuff wedged into the glass to "enhance" it then the basic recipe can't be that good in my mind.

Silentpool / botanist / Orphir to name a few with one of those little tins of fevertree tonic, 3 cubes if ice, job done.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Brands need to differentiate - and the Signature Serve is one way of doing this. I do like, for example, to add apple, lemon, lime, orange, rosemary, etc to gin when they are available. It does make for a more interesting drink, and it's sometimes good to mix things up a bit. Garnishes do make a difference: we drink as much with our eyes and nose as we do with our taste buds. The nose is especially important, and to my list of things that are prerequisites, I'd add a clean glass and fresh ice.

Speaking more broadly, the gin category is so wide now, that many gins are borderline vodkas; the predominant flavor should be juniper (although you could argue that Bombay steered us away from that some time ago).

Craftsman
    We have just emptied a bottle of Slingsby Rhubarb gin.

I'm not usually a gin lover but this disappeared very quickly!

Master
    Our lass has a bottle of Whitney Neill and at 43% has a decent kick. ( i prefer dark rum and whiskey).

Not usually a fan of flavoured spirits but I really like the blood orange infused Jensens gin from Bermondsey
    Was given it as a gift and bought another bottle.
    You have to go to the distillery to purchase though.

Craftsman
    I have been drinking Plymouth Gin with Fevertree tonic this Christmas - I have found I get tipsy very fast on it (2 doubles) far earlier than drinking anything else. But a strange tipsy, just wondering if I am allergic to something in a gin and tonic.

Jawbox

Proper "man's gin"

http://jawboxgin.com

- - - Updated - - -

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Tried one called Skin Gin the other night...it's a German gin with very little juniper. What you do get is a big hit of mint. Personally I thought it was a bit weird and not a gin I would voluntarily go back to.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    A bit of thread resurrection..... I'm guessing that 'gin' being too short a word for the search function to cope doesn't help!

Anyhow, I tried a gin from The Wrecking Coast Distillery. It's a clotted cream gin. First impressions were "weird" as creamy isn't a taste that I associate with gin. By the end of the glass I had sort of got used to it but wouldn't drink it again out of preference.

What I have been drinking a bit of lately is Brecon Gin..very nice with the old standard slice of lemon but I keep meaning to try it as recommended by the distillers which is with cucumber and mint.

There are loads of other gins I fancy trying but I'm not prepared to buy loads of bottles on spec. What I have done though (and can recommend) is buy a load of one shot miniatures from drinksbythedram.com
    I have all sorts now to try such that I hadn't previously come across,including:
    Jinzu (Japanese style recommended to me by a friend)
    Garden Tiger
    Lone Wolf (distilled by Brewdog)
    McQueen Smoked Chilli Gin (which I fully expect to be horrible but I liked the name)
    Junipero (distilled in San Francisco and one I have wanted to try for ages but not at approx £40 a bottle)
    Dorothy Parker American Gin ( as above but distilled in New York)
    plus several more!

The drinks cupboard is becoming somewhat gin heavy

Master
    Six Dogs Blue Gin is exceptional although not cheap. I really like Martin Millers as well.

Any of these plus silent pool and botanist. Please ignore the security tag thing on the Ophir.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Can highly recommend the Ginventory app to keep track of your collection (ahem 40 bottles is not a problem) and signature serves.

Master
    We’ve been to a couple gin festivals and tried well over 40 or 50 gins in the last couple of years.

I have settled on a favourite which is Whitley Neil Quince gin poured over a handful of ice cubes,with a quarter of a satsuma or tangerine orange squeezed and then dropped into the drink, then add a small can of Fever Tree yellow tonic water. Nice.