closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not something I ever expected to have in my collection, the Patek Philippe Aquanaut..

Master

Not something I ever expected to have in my collection, the Patek Philippe Aquanaut..

So recently, I've been narrowing down my collection a little. I still have a decent sized box full of a variety of watches, but there's no doubt I've been culling the watches I don't wear as much. This has included the new Daytona, various vintage pieces, a couple of Yacht-Masters etc.

Another reason for me doing this was the fact I had the Nautilus from Patek in mind. I'd rang a fair few dealers with no luck of getting hold of one in double quick time, and I'd all but given up. I was also struggling a little with watch insurance above certain values, and didn't really know where to go with things.

That was until I passed the window of a Patek Philippe boutique whilst away for the Goodwood Festival of Speed. I visited a town that I wasn't particularly familiar with on my "day off" from the festival, and they had a couple of watches I was intrigued by. These were a solid rose gold 5711r Nautilus, and an Aquanaut. It felt rude not to try them on of course!

Well the Nautilus was stunning. However it left me somehow a little underwhelmed. Although not the blue dial variant I was after, I wasn't so sure about some of the design aspects. This is all personal taste of course. It's a great watch, of that there is no doubt, but seeing the gold one didn't make me desperate for the steel version.

So then I went on to the Aquanaut. I thought it would be cool to try this "underdog" of a Patek. Well, I was amazed by it. The comfort of the strap was instantly apparent, I loved the arabics, and then when I realised they had lume I was even more impressed, and the whole size of the watch was just perfect for my wrist. The height of the case, at 8.5mm was just so appealing; an auto with a date and decent power reserve in an 8.5mm case, still with 120m WR.

I didn't buy it there and then, and spent the next 48 hours deliberating on the purchase. Do I? Don't I? Such a first world issue I know! So I headed back to the shop on the way back home from Goodwood to have another look at it. I'd spent the last 48 hours reading reviews, looking at the PP website etc and basically gleaning as much info as possible; hoping to find something to put me off!

In the end, it just came down to taking the watch outside of the jeweller. In natural light it looked amazing; especially compared to the harsh yellow lighting of the jeweller. Now I could see the way the dial changes colour from black to brown, the way the anti reflective coating allows for incredibly legibility and also how there store security guard was ready to chase after me at any moment; not sure if he'd heard I was from Manchester or not!!

So a week or so later, this is the result:

...oh and I don't know if anybody else gets bothered, but it's a watch that has a correctly positioned crown logo!

As ever, I've created a video review. It's a 30 minute review, with the aim to create a more focused and shorter specification review soon.

Master
    Beautiful watch, enjoy :-)

Master
    Too tired to say much more than I'm glad you've found something you're really happy with. Wear it with pride!

Very nice indeed Wayne- this is next on my list but a fair while away yet :)

Enjoy the watch, it looks fantastic

Wow Wayne, that Daytona did not last long.

Perhaps this PP will be the 'one' that satisfies your hunting instincts. Very nice photos, I like the lume shot especially.

Mitch

Wow, enjoy it mate!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice Wayne. I did wonder what became of the Daytona. I've always thought this was the nicest of Patek's sports stuff.

All the times I looked at a picture of this it never crossed my mind the numerals were lumed.

Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some day... in my dreams.

The Nautilus is a lovely thing, perhaps too pretty for me, the hand grenade dial of the Aquanaut has long held a slightly greater appeal for me... it's academic though, it'll be out of reach for a LONG time.

Enjoy!

Master
    The box seems so nice as well! It just oozes quality..
    Well, the watch is great as well! Really impressive technical specs...
    Congrats!

Journeyman
    Great watch, I much prefer it to the Nautilus. Thanks for the video review!

I totally agree with you about the bracelet, this is the one watch where I much prefer the rubber strap
    Last edited by faken; 11th July 2016 at 10:45.

Master
    Congrats on acquiring the 2nd best sport watch in the PP line up ;-)

Not something I ever expected to have in my collection, the Patek Philippe Aquanaut..

Out of interest Waynne, where's the PP boutique that you went to? I only know of the AD in Tunbridge Wells down here!

Gold Arts in Eastbourne currently have a nautilus and an aquanaut in but they're pre owned.

Congratulations on your new watch Wayne. A super choice and your photos are beautiful too!

Master
    That looks really nice but then at PP prices it bloomin well should. My immediate thought was it looked a great watch to tie in with the Speed festival as it looks more tyres than hand grenade to me (although the latter is probably more accurate). The question is will it last?

Congrats on the acquisition. The watch is great and would even be greater once the rubber strap comforms with the shape of your wrist... not to mention that at 80 gms, you'll sometimes forget you're wearing a watch. Enjoy it in good health.

Master
    Thanks for the comments and glad the pics are pleasing... took me flipping ages!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Wow Wayne, that Daytona did not last long..
    I know. I was struggling to read the time a little, and the lack of a date was annoying tbh. However, there's no doubt I'll still buy another; albeit in about 5 years when another becomes available

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    The box seems so nice as well...
    I bet whoever makes the box has some bloody nice wardrobes. Never seen so much lacquer on a wooden box!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Congrats on acquiring the 2nd best sport watch in the PP line up ;-)
    The Calatrava isn't a sports watch though

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Out of interest Waynne, where's the PP boutique that you went to?
    It was actually in Bournemouth. Silly me only tried to book a hotel a year in advance, and I still ended up staying with family an hour and a half away, as there were no decent places any nearer.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    That looks really nice but then at PP prices it bloomin well should. My immediate thought was it looked a great watch to tie in with the Speed festival as it looks more tyres than hand grenade to me (although the latter is probably more accurate). The question is will it last?
    Well I know it's expensive, and that's one of the reasons I never bought one. However I also feel it's worth its money, which can't always be said. Pictures and videos don't do it any justice. You have to wear one for a couple of days to realise how nice and small it is, without feeling dainty or fragile.

It may suit FoS, but I already have my Vintage Heuer for that. It's the watch I generally wear for most racing events as I'm a saddo!

Will it last? Who knows. I've got an illness with this stuff clearly, but with my insurance constraints, there's not many other watches that would be able to hold a candle to this, without spending far more money and then running in to said insurance issues. I've tried loads of companies, and it seems they just don't like Manchester.

Quote Originally Posted by Solicitor View Post
    Congrats on the acquisition. The watch is great and would even be greater once the rubber strap comforms with the shape of your wrist... not to mention that at 80 gms, you'll sometimes forget you're wearing a watch. Enjoy it in good health.
    You're totally right. My lightest watch before this was my Aerospace Evo. Now if I wear that, it feels heavy!

Master
    Great watch, fantastic build quality, good brand, but sorry, for my eyes it's ugly and on urgh rubber

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Great watch, fantastic build quality, good brand, but sorry, for my eyes it's ugly and on urgh rubber
    Yes well we're all entitled to our opinions, and you are certainly full of those I appreciate your reply though, and luckily I couldn't be happier with it. I sold a lot of watches that had stopped impressing me, and didn't expect this to be their replacement, but it just works on so many levels. I still have enough of a collection that I can chop and change as well :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Yes well we're all entitled to our opinions, and you are certainly full of those I appreciate your reply though, and luckily I couldn't be happier with it. I sold a lot of watches that had stopped impressing me, and didn't expect this to be their replacement, but it just works on so many levels. I still have enough of a collection that I can chop and change as well :-)
    Don't get me wrong, it is a great watch, just not for me, then again I didn't buy it, I'm glad it brings you pleasure, enjoy it, happy you bought what you wanted................ eventually, I know what that's like, took me years to get the car I want, not to everyone's taste but make me smile

Congratulations Wayne, I hope that it brings you many years of enjoyment.

The lime is very good and the colour of the dial under various lighting is awesome.

Top marks for the review Wayne. I'll be late for work as I just watched the whole thing!

Stunning Stunning PP. like you I'd never really considered it. That has changed!

Wear it in good health.

Greg

P.s. What was the movie?!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR View Post
    Top marks for the review Wayne. I'll be late for work as I just watched the whole thing!

Stunning Stunning PP. like you I'd never really considered it. That has changed!

Wear it in good health.

Greg

P.s. What was the movie?!
    Oops sorry!!

It was independence day. I really should have read some reviews on that one!!! The fact it wasn't released on July 4th should have been a pointer I suppose lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Out of interest Waynne, where's the PP boutique that you went to? I only know of the AD in Tunbridge Wells down here!

Gold Arts in Eastbourne currently have a nautilus and an aquanaut in but they're pre owned.
    I would guess at Parkhouse in Southampton. Great guys down there
    Andy

I'm a Nautilus man Wayne as you know; it seems everything I love about it, you don't. Vive la difference and all that!

Would love to try an Aquanaut on, I suspect the two could co-exist happily in a collection.

Blog Entries
    Wow! If there was a sports Patek I want to add to my lot. That would be the one. Love it. Martyn.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! If there was a sports Patek I want to add to my lot. That would be the one. Love it. Martyn.

Wow, just watched the video all the way through. Great to listen to a fellow watch enthusiast discuss all the things that interest me
    Never considered PP before, or seen any features on them, so this was very educational.
    As you say, it is very sharp, and supremely well made. That movement is a beauty to see, and thank goodness it is displayed. I liked the comment on the lume v Seiko, as they really are one of the best. If I remember correctly, I have only seen IWC out lume a Seiko.
    The dial looks very impressive, and I am certain would only look even better in the flesh. I am not sure that I would want such an expensive watch (no idea of the cost, £15k?) on a rubber strap, but it certainly works really well.
    The only thing that would drive me really nuts is the non-hacking movement. To me accurate time keeping is what a watch is all about, and I would want to set it up spot on.

I am sure that this watch will remain in your collection Wayne, so may I just finish with a Congratulations, great watch

Excellent review Wayne, thanks for posting. I sat through the whole thing with a cup of coffee.

Stunning watch - enjoy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Wow, just watched the video all the way through. Great to listen to a fellow watch enthusiast discuss all the things that interest me
    Never considered PP before, or seen any features on them, so this was very educational.
    As you say, it is very sharp, and supremely well made. That movement is a beauty to see, and thank goodness it is displayed. I liked the comment on the lume v Seiko, as they really are one of the best. If I remember correctly, I have only seen IWC out lume a Seiko.
    The dial looks very impressive, and I am certain would only look even better in the flesh. I am not sure that I would want such an expensive watch (no idea of the cost, £15k?) on a rubber strap, but it certainly works really well.
    The only thing that would drive me really nuts is the non-hacking movement. To me accurate time keeping is what a watch is all about, and I would want to set it up spot on.

I am sure that this watch will remain in your collection Wayne, so may I just finish with a Congratulations, great watch
    Easy sorted, when setting the time go beyond the minute you want it to be on, then move the hands backwards, if done at '12' with the seconds hand is retarded, so spot on timing can be achieved

Master
    One of the best reviews I have come across. It did it's job well because I feel I know know quite a lot more about this interesting model. A thorough and fair appraisal. Out of interest, and assuming the jeweller was in Chichester...where we are just moving...was this a new watch just sitting in the shop?
    One other question; this is clearly a beautifully built quite small, watch with a very thin movement. Does this increase the fragility of the watch? After all, can Patek make such a slim, elegant and light watch which can still reliably operate as a 'sports' watch? It looks as if it couldn't take anything like the conditions that a sports Rolex can cope with. But is this assumption wrong?
    Anyway, good stuff. Thanks.

Master
    Excellent catch, congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stunning watch and an interesting review. Congratulations. Are you going to keep it on the rubber all the time, as I reckon it would also look good on something like a vintage JPM strap?

Fantastic watch Wayne, and one I'm increasingly contemplating.

Master

Cool

Super review,thanks

Out of interest, when someone comes to sell and the buyer has bigger wrists, how do you get around that. Do the PP ADs sell the long rubber straps or does the buyer just have to put something else on. It seems a bit premenant especially if owned by a serial flipper (not you, anyone).

Stunning pics and review.
    I prefer this to 5711.
    Congrats, mate. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Out of interest, when someone comes to sell and the buyer has bigger wrists, how do you get around that. Do the PP ADs sell the long rubber straps or does the buyer just have to put something else on. It seems a bit premenant especially if owned by a serial flipper (not you, anyone).
    You buy a new rubber strap, I think someone quoted the price at around £90 in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    You buy a new rubber strap, I think someone quoted the price at around £90 in another thread.
    Thanks. I think that is a job I would prefer the dealer to do rather than do it myself at home.

Master
    Good choice, I much prefer the Aquanaut to the Nautilus although both are outside both my comfort and price range.

Master
    I saw a quote of £150 but basically £100 to cut something off and throw away. But it's a lovely watch and I'd really like one. Out of my price range unfortunately (or I can get rid of a couple that I'll regret getting rid of)

Master
    Thanks for the nice comments. Glad to see some true opinions as watches like this won't be for everyone as well. I must admit though, it's only buying one that removed me from that particular camp.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Easy sorted, when setting the time go beyond the minute you want it to be on, then move the hands backwards, if done at '12' with the seconds hand is retarded, so spot on timing can be achieved
    I'm going to make a shorter review and explain this as I know a lot of people won't know. Used to do it with a lot of my vintage watches. It's somehow a bit more fun, as long as you aren't rushing to set the time perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    One of the best reviews I have come across. It did it's job well because I feel I know know quite a lot more about this interesting model. A thorough and fair appraisal. Out of interest, and assuming the jeweller was in Chichester...where we are just moving...was this a new watch just sitting in the shop?
    One other question; this is clearly a beautifully built quite small, watch with a very thin movement. Does this increase the fragility of the watch? After all, can Patek make such a slim, elegant and light watch which can still reliably operate as a 'sports' watch? It looks as if it couldn't take anything like the conditions that a sports Rolex can cope with. But is this assumption wrong?
    Anyway, good stuff. Thanks.
    Thanks :-) I wouldn't say this is fragile at all. I had a vintage Daytona for a while and that was similar in overall size, although a little taller. That watch felt fragile and I was worried about damaging it. It was an incredible watch, but I couldn't wear it and feel happy doing so. The PP however is solid, robust, 9-10 turns on the crown tube thread, 120m WR, free sprung balance etc etc. It's a genuinely great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Stunning watch and an interesting review. Congratulations. Are you going to keep it on the rubber all the time, as I reckon it would also look good on something like a vintage JPM strap?
    I tend to be one for originality. No idea why. I just can't seem to change that currently, so therefore the only strap I would swap it for is another Patek option; perhaps the green or brown rubber types. Saying that though, I'm perfectly happy with the black strap anyway so haven't really thought of changing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    Fantastic watch Wayne, and one I'm increasingly contemplating.
    Go for it!!

No, no, no, you're thinking about this all wrong! I was explicitly told that I'm only looking after this watch for the next generation, so therefore, hopefully when I have kids, there'll be no need to cut the strap as I have a wrist the size of a child's anyway!

On a serious note, I'd just sell it with a new strap. I guess Patek owners don't really flip their watches, so they aren't too bothered about selling it on.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Stunning pics and review.
    I prefer this to 5711.
    Congrats, mate. Love it.
    Thank you sir! :-)

Thanks. I think that is a job I would prefer the dealer to do rather than do it myself at home.
    I think that's the safer option as if they mess up, it costs them rather than yourself. I must admit I rather sadistically enjoyed the process though; purposely using the cheapest pair of scissors I could find lol.

Great review and pictures. Have only watched half the video so far but also excellent. I sense your enthusiasm for the watch and hope it lasts a bit longer than some of the others! Thanks for sharing. The only thing that annoys me about this model is the very tight date aperture with numbers that from a slight angle seem to touch the frame. I would really like to see a non-date version, as I like the dial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Great review and pictures. Have only watched half the video so far but also excellent. I sense your enthusiasm for the watch and hope it lasts a bit longer than some of the others! Thanks for sharing. The only thing that annoys me about this model is the very tight date aperture with numbers that from a slight angle seem to touch the frame. I would really like to see a non-date version, as I like the dial.
    It's probably more apparent in the video/images on a computer screen. I'm looking at the "11" on the date now and it's a great size for legibility.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    It's probably more apparent in the video/images on a computer screen. I'm looking at the "11" on the date now and it's a great size for legibility.
    I've seen lots of these in person (including 3 sat in a row in one shop) and the "issue" if that's correct was apparent on all of them. It's not the legibility, the aperture itself just seems a little tight to me. It's very very marginally too small, in my opinion. Or the date wheel figures very very marginally too large. I'd like to see one with either no date, or a slightly larger date aperture. This is likely in the same category as "how much cuff should be showing beyond the coat sleeve?" and is just my preference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I've seen lots of these in person (including 3 sat in a row in one shop) and the "issue" if that's correct was apparent on all of them. It's not the legibility, the aperture itself just seems a little tight to me. It's very very marginally too small, in my opinion. Or the date wheel figures very very marginally too large. I'd like to see one with either no date, or a slightly larger date aperture. This is likely in the same category as "how much cuff should be showing beyond the coat sleeve?" and is just my preference.
    Okay I'm not really sure what you mean in that case I've just sat down in my office and noticed that the lighting in here is creating a shadow which makes the aperture look smaller. In the natural light, there's enough room around the "11" for sure though.

Excellent review , and a beautiful watch congratulations.

Craftsman
    As with all these things, I really need to hold/see it to appreciated, but looks a cracker so congrats.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    I saw a quote of £150 but basically £100 to cut something off and throw away. But it's a lovely watch and I'd really like one. Out of my price range unfortunately (or I can get rid of a couple that I'll regret getting rid of)
    It used to be £150 for the pair, but is currently £180, and may go up if a pricing adjustment is made as a result of the £ being in the gutter.

Master
    Watched the full review and i think you have just changed my holy grail quest.

It was going to be a blue faced 5711 but after that review it's changed to that beauty.

However one disappointment was if you were a true Manchester lad you and three of your mates would have turned up in an Audi RS3 wearing combat gear and obtained it FOC.

Congratulations Wayne - can't go wrong with either PP. On the plus side this doesn't feel as 'insane' price wise for a SS watch ;)