closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Abused Omega Seamaster- can you help

Apprentice

Abused Omega Seamaster- can you help

I am new here so I am not altogether au fait with protocols so forgive me if I'm asking something inappropriate. Plus, I seem to be struggling with the images, so bear with me.

I was given this watch as a teenager back in the early 70's. Belonged to my Nan's second husband who'd died in the 60's so I reckon it's nearly as old as me. I quite liked it at the time but probably didn't appreciate it. In fact I definitely didn't. I abused it horribly and it is scarred from various penknife intrusions. The crown has been replaced twice and I seem to remember the crystal being replaced with a slightly higher example.

It's been in a drawer for 30 years but now it's time to start wearing it again. Unfortunately, it doesn't run (well, a few seconds at a time if the crown is fiddled with or it is tapped a bit) and makes an unnerving rattle when shaken. The hands seem to be rusty so goodness knows what the movement looks like.

A local watch dealer says he has a man in Southend who can sort it out and I may drop it in for an estimate, but is there anyone that can be recommended from the forum members? Of course, the man in Southend may be well known on here and be just the chap.

I think I heard that Omega only supply parts to official service centres and I fear the cost of repair will greatly exceed the value. But I suspect there are repairers who keep drawers full of old bits that would be able to bring it back to life, and maybe polish out some of the more horrific scratches.

Anyone?

Thanks
    Matt
    Last edited by matt308; 9th July 2016 at 00:22. Reason: Getting to grips with photos

Nice watch.

There are a quite a few good watchmakers on the forum who can help. I don't think any are from Southend.

You'll be looking at £100+ for a basic service plus any parts (mainspring/crystal etc) on top.

Personally I wouldn't touch the case or the dial, apart from a good clean. Nice that it's got the original crown.
    Last edited by TimeOut; 8th July 2016 at 22:02.

I'd recommend Brendan Hoey at www.webwatchmaker.com who is also a member here (webwatchmaker). Here's a thread I started about an old Longines he restored for me a few years back: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...es-restoration

Soundood's Omega restoration thread which was also worked on by Brendan: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Webwatchmaker)
    Last edited by Lampoc; 8th July 2016 at 22:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I'd recommend Brendan Hoey at www.webwatchmaker.com who is also a member here (webwatchmaker). Here's a thread I started about an old Longines he restored for me a few years back: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...es-restoration

Soundood's Omega restoration thread which was also worked on by Brendan: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Webwatchmaker)
    Beat me to it... He is definitely the man for this job...

Apprentice
    Thanks all, this is great. I will check out those threads and it sounds like Brendan is the guy I need.

Apprentice
    Brendan has already agreed to take a look. Getting quite excited now!

I have put larger images on so you can see the full horror. Check out the staples holding the strap together!!

I hope this comes off. Naturally there'll be some "after" photos.

I'd also recommend Brendan. I've got two very sentimental pieces with him right now. All i hear is great things and he's been a pleasure to converse with!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    I'd also suggest Brendan he has a solid rep, if for any reason that drew a blank then Duncan at Genesis watch repairs worked on a old 50's Movardo for a friend of mine and he was very happy with the outcome.

Another vote for Brendan here

He recently sorted out two old pocket watches for me with the aid of his box of obsolete parts

A splended chap to deal with

Another for Brendan, he saved an old Roamer Stingray from heading to the parts box.

As said, movement service only and you will have a classic.

Banned
    Don't say it is abused. It is an honest watch that has just seen normal wear and tear as opposed to some old watches shown on this forum that have obviously been carefully scratched, greased up and dirtied to look worn out, of course to make the restoration all the more miraculous, blah... yuck...

Another recommendation for Brendan,excellent watch repairer.

Grand Master
    Doesn`t look too bad to me. The fact that it's sat in a drawer for years is good, and there's a fair chance the movement is in good condition. The rattle is a worry, could be a broken rotor post if it's a cal 501 (a known weak spot) and replacements could be hard to source.

I`ve restored several of these but I'm taking no more jobs on at the moment.........that may change in future if I get the enthusiasm back but the Omega parts situation has pissed me off somewhat.

Personally I`d be inclined to get the case refinished provided it's done carefully. It probably isn`t feasible to remove all the marks/damage but I`m sure the case could be improved upon to a point where the watch looks 'sharp' again. As for the crown, it'll probably need replacing if you want the watch to be waterproof again. Correct replacements were still available before Swatch Group decided we couldn`t be trusted with Omega parts any longer and hopefully one can be sourced. The dial looks good, which is a big plus, and the hands will probably clean up OK. This watch has the potential to look almost new again, you have to decide whether that's what you want. Some will argue in favour of keeping all the marks and scratches, but I take the opposite view. My definition of originality is how the watch looked when it was new and I`ll do whatever's need to regain that look; this view is frowned upon by the so-called purists who seem to be in the ascendency thesedays.

It'll be in good hands with Brendan, I`m sure he'll do what you ask him to.

Paul

Apprentice
    Brendan has got it and hopes to get started in a couple of weeks. A victim of his own success! The plan is a new crown, crystal and mainspring with a full service, relume and case polish. I know it might then look a bit too new for some tastes but, to be fair, the majority of the case scars really were self inflicted and don't look like it's had an interesting life. Just a stupid owner.

Re: I am new here so I am not altogether au fait with protocols so forgive me if I'm asking something inappropriate.

Perfectly legitimate post and good luck.
    Brendan seems to be highly recommended around here.
    As well as. A couple others.
    Good luck.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt308 View Post
    Brendan has got it and hopes to get started in a couple of weeks. A victim of his own success! The plan is a new crown, crystal and mainspring with a full service, relume and case polish. I know it might then look a bit too new for some tastes but, to be fair, the majority of the case scars really were self inflicted and don't look like it's had an interesting life. Just a stupid owner.
    I'll be starting it in a couple of days but don't worry. I won't polish it to death !
    We have a laser machine that can fill deep dents in either steel or gold cases if necessary.
    Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    We have a laser machine that can fill deep dents in either steel or gold cases if necessary.
    Brendan.
    That is interesting to know- been meaning to get my old beater Datejust restored for a while; it has quite a ding in the case. With apologies for the thread hijack, is that something you'd take on Brendan?

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Absolutely ! It's an essential tool for proper case finishing.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Well, I got it back and will post some pics soon. Looks great but not over restored. The best thing is that it works and keeps really good time.

Worn for 72 hours straight on a classy lizard strap and, unbelievably, it is currently losing only 7 seconds per day. For a c1959 watch I think that's outstanding and a testament to the skills of Brendan.

Craftsman
    Sounds excellent ...... Let's see some pics (please)!

Craftsman
    I had managed to get a lovely 1972 Seamaster, which was a birth year watch for me. I wasn't aware of anyone at the time and it went to STS, they made a lovely job of it.

just another bit of info for you, but Brendan seems to be well known in the forum.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by nutjob1234; 29th July 2016 at 23:39.

Quote Originally Posted by nutjob1234 View Post
    I had managed to get a lovely 1972 Seamaster, which was a birth year watch for me. I wasn't aware of anyone at the time and it went to STS, they made a lovely job of it.

just another bit of info for you, but Brendan seems to be well known in the forum.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Wow, that is a beauty! Is that a Seamaster 176.007 by any chance?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Wow, that is a beauty! Is that a Seamaster 176.007 by any chance?
    It is indeed hoopsontoast!

I had fancied a birth year watch and this popped up in eBay. A lady was selling some of her late fathers items and I liked the look of it. I made some enquiries on here at the time and ended up sending it to Simon at STS, it's now on an Omega mesh, and looks lovely.

i got some great info on the watch and movement on here at the time, but I can't seem to get back that far any longer.

Apprentice
    So, here are the "after" shots. I'm very pleased with it, though some may think the case polishing was unnecessary. I wear it regularly for work now and apart from an accidental wetting followed by a few days in the airing cupboard to clear the misting (sorry Brendan!), I have managed not to further abuse the poor thing.

My daughter has tried it on. Suits her she and seems to "get it", so she's in line for it when the time comes although my dear wife has no idea why I would spend money on something I can't put on my feet.

Love it. It's a stunner.

These are the two I got back from Brendan. The cal 266 was my granddads and the cosmic was my father in laws

Wow! Splendid result. Congratulations, and well done on having a daughter with good taste!

Journeyman
    It looks lovely after being serviced.

Matt.... that's fantastic and a testament to Brendon's skills. Looks fabulous now

Matt, that is lovely, really really nice.

Those thick applied numbers are seriously chunky.

Gorgeous piece.

Quote Originally Posted by matt308 View Post
    So, here are the "after" shots. I'm very pleased with it, though some may think the case polishing was unnecessary. I wear it regularly for work now and apart from an accidental wetting followed by a few days in the airing cupboard to clear the misting (sorry Brendan!), I have managed not to further abuse the poor thing.

I think you did the right thing.

For my taste, it was a bit too far down the path of 'abused' rather than used as it was.

It looks excellent now!

Quote Originally Posted by same
    My daughter has tried it on. Suits her she and seems to "get it", so she's in line for it when the time comes although my dear wife has no idea why I would spend money on something I can't put on my feet.
    Feels like that on this forum at times

M

Apprentice
    Thanks chaps.
    Of course, the trouble is I now have a bit of a watch obsession. I mean, how can I go back to a quartz Tag now??!

Thanks for reporting back - that looks lovely.