closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any love left for the 116520 Daytona? Wrist shots please...

Any love left for the 116520 Daytona? Wrist shots please...

As everyone's gone completely bonkers for the 116500 ceramic daytona, is there any love left for the 116520 steel bezel daytona? Here's a shot I took this morning before work...

Any more owner pics?
    Last edited by Yeti; 6th July 2016 at 09:07.

I prefer this Daytona to ceramic I just wish I had the funds as it's a true classic

Master
    Love my 116520!! Love it more than the ceramic. (I have black). But for the white, I would be interested to get the ceramic in the future.

Master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

While I get the appeal of the higher-contrast ceramic look, the all-steel one just seems like the more coherent and versatile watch to me:

But I reckon the black subdial rings of the white 116500LN are a nice touch. So I also went for what I find to be the best of both worlds:

It seems that it's best to avoid recency bias in wristwatches, particularly when it comes to Rolex.

Still don't get the Daytona hype, but given the choice i'd have a black face 116520 any day.
    Looks really good in everyone's photos.

The steel bezel is so much more refined looking than the current's big slab of pottery.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I own the white 116520 and was in heaven when the ceramics were revealed.

Over the last few months the lust for the ceramic has gone completely - specifically for the white.

I could never decide which one to get so still have the urge for a black Daytona of done kind so maybe will try a black ceramic one day

Master
    Simply, yes, white dial, had one, liked it for itself, was a bit meh on my wrist. But, every time I see one I wish I'd kept mine, or had the funds right this very now to pop out and get another.
    I've tried very hard through my watch collecting journey to keep moving forward and not look back. This one (& YM-Pt) keep turning my head 180 degrees every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Simply, yes, white dial, had one, liked it for itself, was a bit meh on my wrist. But, every time I see one I wish I'd kept mine, or had the funds right this very now to pop out and get another.
    I've tried very hard through my watch collecting journey to keep moving forward and not look back. This one (& YM-Pt) keep turning my head 180 degrees every now and then.
    Ditto!

Master
    Mines going nowhere...

Whilst not an SS model it is a pre-ceramic!

Had a SS black dial, sold it for the usual reasons and much later regretted it. Fancied a white dial and then this came up...

Must admit I'm tempted to try some of the other dial options... There's a full panda dial and the grey dial looks pretty good as well...

Master
    Cannot ever see me selling my white dial (3 years of ownership after wanting one for a decade before). Am down for the new white dial and always thought I'd sell my current one, can't see me letting go though.

Had mine since 2010 and still love wearing at weekends and holidays.
    Also if they've stopped producing them surely values will rocket over the next few years ? Which of course is
    A welcome bonus. I'd love a ceramic though

Master
    Blog Entries
    What's the plan for them. Are they phasing out last stock or will produce alongside the Ceramic??

When I spoke to an AD he said stopped doing them so for me to keep hold of it

Owned mine for over 7 years and still love wearing it so there'll be no swapping for the new one here.

Journeyman
    Still love mine

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Some of those are peachy!

Sorry ,not for me either ceramic or steel . Couldn't live with the fact it has no date! Iconic design all the same.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don't have one but, yes, some love here for the metal bezel. As already said, seems a more harmonious design.

Craftsman
    Here's mine and still loving it:

Recently purchased a 116520 black dial . Loving it ! Was torn between white and black dial but a black one popped up first and glad it did . Although I love the White dial , black is just a tad more classy IMHO . Only gripe is that polished bracelet scratches every time I look at it . Might have to invest in a rubber b it might even try it on a NATO ........

Journeyman
    Some very nice pics, what do you guys clean your daytonas with as i'd like to give mine a clean..

^
    In the sink, with some liquid soap a soft-bristled toothbrush; same as all my other watches.

Also, an ultrasonic cleaning for the bracelet every year or two certainly helps its longevity.

Master
    Still look great.

How do oy think values will hold now the ceramic is out?

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    Still look great.

How do oy think values will hold now the ceramic is out?
    Favourably hopefully! ;)

Grand Master
    Far nicer than the new one IMO, but too expensive to justify adding one to my collection. £6.5-£7K is a lot of money to have sat in the watch box getting worn occasionally and that's one good reason why I wouldn`t buy one. A 16610 Sub, a nice Daytona, a bimetal 36mm Datejust and a 36mm Explorer 1 would be my ideal Rolex collection. The latest models leave me cold.

Paul

Banned
    Great pics, thanks guys. I think it is better than the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Favourably hopefully! ;)
    I think they'll do just fine. It's a non-trendy watch that goes with everything, it has what many would consider to be the best-designed self-winding chronograph movement on the market, and few other chronos offer quite the same combination of quality, practicality and refinement. These characteristics also apply to the new model, but more common the ceramic version becomes, the more the old-school version will be appreciated.

Throughout the 116520's sixteen years of production, the supply never really caught up the demand, and now they aren't making any more of them. Plus it was the last classic sports Rolex in the range; now every single one of them is either bulked-up, ceramic-a-fied, or both. I really wouldn't worry about its long-term desirability too much.

The looks don't suffer by comparison, either. I think the all-stainless version is least as good on the wrist as the higher-contrast variant, which can arguably have a hint of garishness to it:

image credit: watchanish

It's not too bad off the wrist, either:

S/S with trimmings

I kick myself daily, I could have bought, from Blowers, years ago a Daytona, s/s with white mother of pear dial. With diamond dots. It looked the Rotweillers dangly bits. I bought a bi metal sub blue face which was flipped on here years ago. I wish I'd bought the Daytona. It would have been a keeper
    But then guess I wouldn't have the Sea Dweller which is definitely a keeper!

I've had a couple of Daytona's, 116520's the first was this back in 2007

Through the lens of a Mille Miglia ;-)

I had it a very short amount of time as I had a Carrera 1964 Re-Edition and preferred that over the Daytona so traded it against a 2004 F serial 16610LV.

Years later I picked up another black dialled 116520 and bought a WG dial and hand set and had it customised but when I wore it I was always conscious it wasn't right and sold that.

After seeing the 116500 I though yes, home run! The more I look at them now though the more I prefer the older Daytona's even the Zenith's.

This week I was contacted by a WIS friend who is wanting to get into Panerai ownership and is wanting to trade his 2008 Daytona BKK for a PAM, he loves my 587 and has offered me a swap....... My initial response was NO but the more I am considering it the more I'm tempted :-0 Then I remember I still have the Heuer and could be in the same position as a few year ago.

Maybe I'll just trade the 587 for a RoyalOak!
    Last edited by paneristi372; 8th July 2016 at 10:26.

Any love left for the 116520 Daytona? Wrist shots please...

When the ceramic one came out I loved it and had never really much appreciated the previous modern Daytonas... now of course I really love the design of the SS bezel ones.

Would be a white dialled 16520 for me though, with the black sub-dials...

(Not my pic)

ETA: sorry, didn't realise how old the thread was!!!
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 9th April 2017 at 14:23.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post

Nice shot

Master
    Blog Entries
    The more I wear the less I think about the 116500. Cant wait to pair this with a blue dial 5711 this year if the AD comes thru as he advises

Last edited by kultschar; 9th April 2017 at 18:53.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    The more I wear the less I think about the 116500. Cant wait to pair this with a blue dial 5711 this year if the AD comes thru as he advises

That is truly stunning

modded hybrid one

Sorry Alan, not a fan of that at all!

These do seem exceptional value at the moment given the prices of the ceramics.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    These do seem exceptional value at the moment given the prices of the ceramics.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I would not say Value as they were £7k not long ago and you could get one in 2 months in 2015 for list !

Paying £13k now for NOS is not value in my book and nice used ones are >£10k

The white gold ones at £16k look like the value buy over the ceramic , but a SS at £13k well some people have funny thoughts about what value is imo :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

Great photos! Never really got the whole Rolex thing (probably because I've never owned one I expect and doubt I ever will) but that's just glorious.

Thank you!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I do love the watch and ive managed to keep mine minty (well 9/10)

Imagine though with a few scapes it would not look so attractive unlike say some of the other Rolex Sports like my Sub. Imagine Nautilus owners prob have same problem

Banned
    IMG_9854.JPG

I finally uploaded a picture of one of my
    Watches !

Seikoboy

Cool

Always love wearing this when I get a chance 😎

Master
    Blog Entries
    In my quest for a Aquanaut ive been umming and ahhing over flogging my rarely worn Daytona (or possibly upgrading to the ceramic)

In my watch box I never feel like choosing it often, however when its on the wrist I love it (I remember having same feeling with the Hulk)

Watchfinder offered me 9K however the upgrade price to a ceramic (5Kish) via greys has convinced me its def not worth that route for sure. Maybe another few year the gap will close between them ££

Its a Sunny day here although mid-winter and this pic I took for the Friday thread has made me smile. Think I will raise / save funds for the Aquanaut instead.