closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me decide my first 'proper' watch

Very nice

Have you checked out the new Air King (116900)?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoHalfMeasures View Post
    Still haven't made a purchase; mulling over the various options!

I've come to grow very fond of the blue faced Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm (114300). I am aware that that goes against a lot of what I was thinking a few weeks ago however!
    That a nice watch and something a little different too!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    Very nice

Have you checked out the new Air King (116900)?
    Haven't tried one on but I think the face of them has a bit too much going on. Also I'm not sure if I like the yellow/green logo - might not be something which stands the test of time very well imo.

Haven't tried one on but I think the face of them has a bit too much going on. Also I'm not sure if I like the yellow/green logo - might not be something which stands the test of time very well imo.
    Personally I think it's one of those that looks much better on the wrist. Give it a go

Journeyman
    Common sense says Rolex. Accountants normally want value and no other watch retains its value like a Rolex

Craftsman
    Still haven't made a purchase; mulling over the various options!

I've come to grow very fond of the blue faced Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm (114300). I am aware that that goes against a lot of what I was thinking a few weeks ago however!
    That's an excellent choice. It's a stunner and will look good with a suit or tshirt & jeans.

Journeyman
    Rolex for sure with the budget you've got!

Craftsman
    Rolex for sure.

Why just one? For that budget you could buy a small collection of very high quality watches to suite different occasions, without paying the marketing/branding premium or running risk of being too flash.

Thinking Stowa Marine/Sinn 556 for dressier occasions, Sinn EZM3 for hardier use, Steinhart Ocean One to scratch any Sub itches (not that you've suggested any, but once you start...) and Precista PRS-20 for something completely different.

Think that lot would be sub £3k bought new and would be enough to keep me entertained until I figured out what I was missing or not using, then could trade out or add accordingly (first in would be a Speedmaster).

I hope you'll forgive my hesitation, but it seems hasty to pay such a big amount for a big brand name right at the beginning of your adventure into watch collecting. I still can't see what you get in addition other than the name.

But that's just me. I'm sure others disagree. Good luck with your choice, either way.
    Last edited by Jyaque; 2nd August 2016 at 12:27.

Craftsman
    For value retention, Rolex as others have said. It's a shame that your choice of watch may impede your progression at work, but that's the nature of the industry I suppose. Seen it many times before, and for things much pettier than a watch! If you are concerned and want to keep everyone happy then tone it down.

Apprentice
    Hesalite moonwatch

Master
    1 vintage Rolex Oyster date or Precision (hand cranker)
    1 Speedmaster moonwatch 1861 movement at the best price you can obtain. Probably mid 90's.
    For the Weekend and holidays.
    1 Sekio SKX007/9

3k / 3.5k spent job done.

100% go for the Rolex. You'll eventually regret it if you don't and you'll be looking for ways to trade in your Omega to raise funds for the Rolex.

The Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm (114300) is a great choice too.

Apprentice
    Just to update on this - I can't make up my mind at all! Obviously I'm going to hold off on buying a €6k Rolex until I'm 100% sure, but in the meantime I bought a Seiko SKX009 to keep me ticking over

An inexpensive, good value watch that should compliment any collection.

Journeyman
    Just to update on this - I can't make up my mind at all! Obviously I'm going to hold off on buying a €6k Rolex until I'm 100% sure, but in the meantime I bought a Seiko SKX009 to keep me ticking over

An inexpensive, good value watch that should compliment any collection.
    how much did you pay for it mate and where? I'm after one with a rubber strap.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by rossylad92 View Post
    how much did you pay for it mate and where? I'm after one with a rubber strap.
    Can't remember exactly, but c.£180 online from Yorkshire Watches. Its on a bracelet.

Journeyman
    Can't remember exactly, but c.£180 online from Yorkshire Watches. Its on a bracelet.
    thanks mate.