closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide my first 'proper' watch

Apprentice

Help me decide my first 'proper' watch

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum (obviously - first post!) but have been a lurker for a while. I've had it on my mind for quite a while to treat myself to a good watch. Problem is I just don't know what I want!

I'm 26 and work in an office (accountants) and want it to be suitable for that environment but also outside of the office, essentially a 24h watch. I've had my current watch for about ten years, it's a Citizen titanium chronograph.

The things I'd like in the watch are for it to be on a strap (albeit with the option of putting on a bracelet in time if I so choose), something 'classy' rather than flash, not chronograph (2 reasons - 1 I feel they're too 'busy', and secondly I like the big second hand rather than a small one), at least 40mm, and nothing too old fashioned. In terms of budget, I was thinking anything up to maybe £3.5k/€4K. Obviously that's gives a pretty broad criteria for selection!

I originally had my eye on an IWC Portofino Automatic, but I read a few reviews on here which basically said 'what's the point of it', and having tried it on today, I was underwhelmed.

I took a look at some Omegas and was quite taken with the AT 'Golf' edition - http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega...21-01-003.html

I then went to a different AD and tried on quite a few different types and brands, but in particular quite liked:

Breitling Transoceanan Day date http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/breit...g751-437x.html

Ebel Hex Automatic http://www.thewatchquote.com/Ebel-1215833-PdN.htm

Longings master http://www.thewatchgallery.com/shop/...93-4-78-3.html (this to me seems a more obvious choice than the portofino I originally looked at, and sat better on my wrist).

Is there anything I should be aware of (good or bad!) in relation to any of the above? Or any others which he might recommend which could fit the bill?

Thanks!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoHalfMeasures View Post
    ...any others which he might recommend which could fit the bill?
    Speedbird III PRS22 http://www.timefactors.com/speedbird.htm

Speedbird or Rolex Datejust

Master
    Omega Seamaster professional ceramic, or SMPc. Maybe an obvious choice, but many a person's first 'nice' watch. They come on a bracelet by default but you'll find it cheaper to buy that way and then get a strap rather than the other way around. Welcome, BTW.

Am not sure what part of 'at least ' 40 mm are people missing.

Which is the thing which makes a watch a "proper" watch? Having a dial? Having hands? Being small and portable? Costing four figures?

Master
    Rolex Explorer II 16570.

Bracelet:

Strap:

GGB:

Secondhand £2500 - £3000.

40mm.

Craftsman
    Love the Omega in your original post, great watch

Apprentice
    Yo b!tch. (Please tell me that username is a Breaking Bad reference or I'm about to be banned before I've hit 10 posts!)
    Have you considered the impression an expensive watch gives clients or colleagues. Not sure I'd want to see my accountant rocking a £4K watch. But then I don't have either and work in Hicksville!

Banned
    That is Rolex money, so get one, or at least a Grand Seiko. A quartz one is perfect for the office and you will have cash left over...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not quite 40 mm but what about a Oyster Perpetual 39? Suits a variety of straps and can be dressed up or down.

I have the Longines you linked to in the OP and I don't think it would be suitable for anything other than 'posh'. They are quite dressy.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Rolex Explorer II 16570.

Strap:

Secondhand £2500 - £3000.

40mm.
    That's lovely. Where can you get it for that price? Also what strap is that?

Nearest I could see was Blowers for £3500.

Thanks!

Craftsman
    ^
    White dial 16570 here at a good price:

http://www.miltonaires.com/product/4412

No affiliation on my part, but Haywood Milton is a highly-respected stalwart here on the forum and you can buy with confidence.

I don't see the point on spanking alot of dough on a watch unless you're fairly sure it's for you. So I'd go with the speedbird, even though it's a touch under 40mm . If you really want to spend loads of money then I'd get a pepsi GMT master II or a teak dialed Aqua Terra. I wouldn't get anything too arcane so that if you do decide you want to change it then it's going to be easy to resell or exchange.

I like that longines you've indicated, but I don't see how it's fits in with your requirement of 'not being old fashioned'. It's a very classic looking piece. If you want something like that then I'd look at dornblueth.
    Last edited by seikopath; 2nd July 2016 at 22:34.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I don't see the point on spanking alot of dough on a watch unless you're fairly sure it's for you. So I'd go with the speedbird, even though it's a touch under 40mm . If you really want to spend loads of money then I'd get a pepsi GMT master II or a teak dialed Aqua Terra.
    OP's budget = up to £3.5K though. Pepsi GMT II might be out of reach now. Speedbird good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    OP's budget = up to £3.5K though. Pepsi GMT II might be out of reach now. Speedbird good choice.
    I also thought this, but was told on this very forum recently that you could get a GMT within striking range of 3k

Vintage Rolex DJ, save up and flip the DJ (for what you paid for it) and get a nice 2nd Hand Rolex GMT or Sub.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    I also thought this, but was told on this very forum recently that you could get a GMT within striking range of 3k
    We'll both be looking hard for one then....

Not really Dave, the op in that thread said his original budget of £3k could be stretched to a GMT if necessary.

Hook, line and sinker!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Not really Dave, the op in that thread said his original budget of £3k could be stretched to a GMT if necessary.
    Thanks for the clarification. My memory isn't what it is going to be.

- - - Updated - - -

We'll both be looking hard for one then....
    I'm not looking ;)

I'm a bored pedant. hence I have dug out the original thread.

I love the GMT master but it's probably out of budget, no ? Can you get one for 3k?
    Post #14; they're not out of reach although they're getting hard to find below £4K!

Master
    Add £500 and get a 114060 Sub at a sensible pre-owned price.

Remember that your choice needs to do two things:

(1) tick your boxes; and

(2) not p-off your clients/co-workers/partners.

These two points _may_ be in conflict, given your age etc and what sort of accountants you work at (second point stronger the further from the City you are; stronger in tax than in audit; stronger in audit than in CF).

Definitely worth bearing in mind if you're the sort of young chap who wants to get places quickly.

Help me decide my first 'proper' watch

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post

(2) not p-off your clients/co-workers/partners.
    If wearing a nice watch is likely to do that then I'd suggest you find a different job.

It's not like you're turning up to work in a new Ferrari every day!

If wearing a nice watch is likely to do that then I'd suggest you find a different job.

It's not like you're turning up to work in a new Ferrari every day!
    lol who cares about co workers! Most would notice and not even recognise the brand of watch you are wearing bar Rolex.

Just my two cents. I have seen capable people held back in the OP's industry - particularly at senior/AM level - because they put someone's nose out of joint somewhere along the line. YMMV.

Nomos Club Automat Datum

Just to throw in something different. You'll have a considerable amount of money left over to buy a GS or whatnot. It's a nice and present watch. It's from a manufacture. It's understated yet well crafted ...

Sound's like it fits the bill .. if you take to it of course

Just my two cents. I have seen capable people held back in the OP's industry - particularly at senior/AM level - because they put someone's nose out of joint somewhere along the line. YMMV.
    Beacuse they have worn a 3k watch? That under a shirt and suit would hardly get noticed? Gor blimey governor!

I'm sure you have, it happens. But that's down to an individual's inadequacies.

I stand by my previous post; in that situation the OP should find a more suitable employer.

It's only a watch after all!

It's a funny game, and applies more at some firms than others. I'm not wanting to tell the OP what to do, just offering my observations.

Ultimately though these things are very personal, and people rightly bridle at being dictated to; that's why UBS got into so much trouble with their (in my view fairly benign) dress guide a few years back.... OP should do as he likes, ideally aware of the full range of impressions that will be created and what those could mean.

Apprentice
    Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

In relation to how it may be viewed by coworkers etc., hard to know. I'm in Ireland where there's a typical 'begrudger' type of attitude, so it is of mild concern. To give slightly more detail, I work in tax in a 'Big 4' firm and have very recently been promoted to manager (which is basically the catalyst for me deciding to finally treat myself, as I alluded to in the OP), so there's no promotion which I may be held back from for another couple of years anyway. None of my peers have any watches of note. Of the top guys I work with, a couple have rolexes, one has a quartz citizen and another a DW!

In relation to the watches themselves, all comments taken on board. One further question I meant to ask is what is the depreciation rate like on these watches? I'd imagine there wouldn't be quite as much of a market as the Ebel, and that the Omega would probably hold its value best of all? (The latter is the one I'm eyeing up the most I think!)

Thanks for the speed bird suggestion, nice left field choice but I think the face is just too small.

Try the PRS-38 if you don't mind the dial. It's larger and slimmer than the Speedbird but superb quality.

There's no bracelet option but it comes on a nice leather strap and looks good on a nato.

Apprentice
    Sorry I meant to add, I like the Explorer II but I think getting a Rolex at this stage would definitely raise a few eyebrows, whatever about the other options!

I must say I like the PRS-38 Dave. I'll try to read up on it a bit more.

That Smiths would be nice, especially if you have a motorsports interest.

Now that we have a bit more info, 26 Tax Manager big 4 Dublin, I would say Omega would fit the bill nicely - time to get yourself down to Weirs :)

Sorry I meant to add, I like the Explorer II but I think getting a Rolex at this stage would definitely raise a few eyebrows, whatever about the other options!

I must say I like the PRS-38 Dave. I'll try to read up on it a bit more.
    It's one of Eddie's, click on the Timefactors banner at the top of the page.

I'm up to 12 watches in my collection now including a Rolex a few others. The PRS-38 is my favourite watch by far. I love it. Thumbs up on that choice from me.

[...]Longings master [...]
    Apt autocorrection there; that one will soon leave you longing for a better watch. ;)

As for what to get, I agree with the 16570 Explorer II recommendations. It's the least costly way to get a 40 mm Rolex on the wrist, and it's a no-excuses watch. Try on a 16200 Datejust while you're at it; I think they're underappreciated compared to their more superficially-sporty cousins, and you just might end up preferring it.

Apprentice
    ^
    White dial 16570 here at a good price:

http://www.miltonaires.com/product/4412

No affiliation on my part, but Haywood Milton is a highly-respected stalwart here on the forum and you can buy with confidence.
    Thanks for the reply, most helpful. I have seen Haywood's posts on here - including the way he helped a member acquire a watch for his son's 18th.

Banned
    Get the watch you like. If you are worried about eyebrows, then tell them you got it from Aliexpress!

Craftsman
    To the OP, I'd see if one of the Rolexs or a Speedy Pro tickles your fancy. Maybe an Explorer 1. Best go with one of those as if you buy used you'll be able to flip it and get your money back if you change your mind in a few months. I'd steer clear of the Seikos or Breitlings etc. unless you're sure you want a specific model.

Apprentice
    Thanks again for all the comments. I've been sleeping on it quite a bit over the last few days and done some further looking. I must say I'm really taken now by an alternative to the 'Golf Edition' Omega AT I originally linked to, the standard blue faced model (231.10.42.21.03.003) http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/omega...21-03-003.html

It's on a bracelet, but I'd keep my eye out for a nice blue leather strap (and may even get a NATO to see how it would go!).

Any ideas what something like this would expect to fetch in say 3 years time, in the event I'd want to sell it? Assuming in very good condition, of course!!

I'm probably going to buy through iconic, everything I've read on them has been positive.

Probably about half what you're paying for it.

If you want to retain maximum value then go for a Rolex sports model or second hand. Or ideally a second hand Rolex sports model!

Master
    Going for the Rolex Sports model works now but it may not necessarily work so well in the future. The company are revamping a lot of their lineage changing the size etc. This may mean older models continue to rise up or they may sit where they are with two tiers of pricing. I think the sheer weight of Rolex on the 2nd hand market has actually steadied prices. Unless you have the funds for a Hulk or latest Daytona.
    You can also look at buying grey or get the very best deal off RRP you can get on a different brand like Omega. You can then swat the depreciation in half. Also due to a sheer cost of a Rollie a 10% hit of rrp may well be in actual cost the same as a 20% hit of a discounted price on a different brand.
    Basically buy the watch you like.

Grand Master
    Try a few on, and don't get hung up on size. Buy what looks right on you, don't rush into anything, and don't be influence by other folks' views.

Paul

I wouldn't get to hung up about sell on value unless you're really sure you might sell it later on. You're really limiting your choices otherwise. Rolex is one of the few that retains their second hand price really well.

Steve

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    I wouldn't get to hung up about sell on value unless you're really sure you might sell it later on. You're really limiting your choices otherwise. Rolex is one of the few that retains their second hand price really well.

Steve
    +1......especially if bought second-hand.

Apprentice
    Still haven't made a purchase; mulling over the various options!

I've come to grow very fond of the blue faced Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm (114300). I am aware that that goes against a lot of what I was thinking a few weeks ago however!