closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: On the list for a blue dial PP 5711, and been offered a white one?

On the list for a blue dial PP 5711, and been offered a white one?

So, like many here, I'd love a blue PP 5711 and put my name down on the list a while ago. Got a call today from the dealer to say that a white one could be available if I wanted it - at list price.

Whilst I'd love to hold out for the blue one, I'm fairly sure price rises are coming next month and new models too, so the chances of that are pretty slim.

I know it's a subjective choice, but would you go with the white or wait for other options to come along?

Craftsman
    I love the white one too. Beautifully legible. There's not much between the two in terms of preference for me so I would get the white one. At the very least you could see it and have a fondle so see if the lust ignites?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Well I'm not in the market for one of these and probably never will be so this is probably less than useful... but I've found with other watches than if you compromise and get the one you don't want it'll end up flipped. That said, PP will change the dial, won't they? Cost of that though, no idea.

I've always been more of a fan of the white dial, but this doesn't appear to be the more popular choice ....... if it were me, I'd get the white one, and buy now in the likelihood of a imminent price rise ....

Experience has taught me to wait for the watch that you want. Having said that, I'd buy the white one :p
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Does anyone know how much Patek would charge to swap the white dial for a blue dial if you got bored of the White dial? I also have my name down at an AD but it looks like white will be my only option from them..

Master
    I think you can relatively easily buy white one and probably with discount. Wouldn't pay list price for the white.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Does anyone know how much Patek would charge to swap the white dial for a blue dial if you got bored of the White dial? I also have my name down at an AD but it looks like white will be my only option from them..
    I did ask about swapping the dial over and was told it would be 'expensive' and that PP sometimes do it and sometimes they don't! So, not a lot of help with that and I think it would be a bit silly too. As others had said, wait for the blue one but it might never arrive.

Craftsman
    Mmm tough one. I am in a bit of a white dial phase right now, but that blue is simply stunning. I think I'd hold out for the one you really wanted.

Agree with the other comment though, go see the white and see if the lust kicks in.

It is a tricky one, I agree with the earlier comment that if you really want the blue dial and accept the white will you think of that everytime you look at it.

However, as you say yourself the blue may never turn up and these are selling on the secondary markets with hellish mark ups, so if you pass on the white you may never own one.

Would you view the white as second best or do you think you could come to love it over time.

Sorry it's not a definate answer, but hopefully stuff to ponder over...

Master
    Wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's not the watch you want, it's not the watch you want.

Ride it out.

Master
    It's not what you wanted so wait.

Master
    Get the white. Its nicer and if they discontinue it it will be the more collectible/valuable one in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It is a tricky one, I agree with the earlier comment that if you really want the blue dial and accept the white will you think of that everytime you look at it.

However, as you say yourself the blue may never turn up and these are selling on the secondary markets with hellish mark ups, so if you pass on the white you may never own one.

Would you view the white as second best or do you think you could come to love it over time.

Sorry it's not a definate answer, but hopefully stuff to ponder over...
    The white looks lovely too! I'm sure it would be easy to live with and a lovely watch to own.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    The white looks lovely too! I'm sure it would be easy to live with and a lovely watch to own.
    Looks like you have made you mind up - go for it and the best of luck.

We await some photos...

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Get the white. Its nicer and if they discontinue it it will be the more collectible/valuable one in the future.
    Interesting. Can you elaborate?

Master
    Wait for the blue...

Master
    Crikey, decisions on how to spend £15k (Or however much these are) based on needing to ask strangers.

Buy whichever one you want, how could anyone else possibly advise better than your own mind?

For me personally, I hate blue dialled watches and have always preferred white ones, so it'd be a no brainer.

The next chap will say blue.

So there you go, hope that helped!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Crikey, decisions on how to spend £15k (Or however much these are) based on needing to ask strangers.

Buy whichever one you want, how could anyone else possibly advise better than your own mind?

For me personally, I hate blue dialled watches and have always preferred white ones, so it'd be a no brainer.

The next chap will say blue.

So there you go, hope that helped!
    I certainly don't need advice but it is a watch forum and it is always interesting to hear other people's views. Thanks for your thoughts though!

Master
    I prefer the white face. And fashion is so fickle that you can't know what will be 'in' given a few years. Lucky the 5711 retains value so well, because otherwise it would be over-priced for a well-made but basic steel watch.
    To me, having borrowed one for a month (from a friend with too many watches), I thought £16,500 was pretty cheeky. But you can wear one for a few years and sell at a great price, that's the attraction of the 5711.
    It manages to be both over-priced and fine long-term value; a living testimony to the contradictions of the market.
    Last edited by paskinner; 2nd July 2016 at 17:52.

I certainly wouldn't be paying list for either

For 16k+ there are so many watches you could buy. I wouldn't be pushed into buying it just cos it is there. But equally, if you like it, buy it.

Nice dilemma to have

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Experience has taught me to wait for the watch that you want. Having said that, I'd buy the white one :p
    Hah! Me too

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    For 16k+ there are so many watches you could buy. I wouldn't be pushed into buying it just cos it is there. But equally, if you like it, buy it.

Nice dilemma to have
    Definitely a first world dilemma! Would be my first PP and probably the last!

Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post
    Just wondering why not given current prices for used ones are well above list, there is a price rise imminent, the pound is weak, and there are so few new ones around?

Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post
    In your dreams.

Definitely a first world dilemma! Would be my first PP and probably the last!
    In that case, wait for the one you actually want IMHO

Master
    As plenty of others have said, if you want the blue then wait for it. Otherwise you will end up flipping the white, probably losing money as it is not as hard to get hold of as the blue and then you will go to the back of the queue again for the blue when you realise you want one.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I prefer the white face. And fashion is so fickle that you can't know what will be 'in' given a few years. Lucky the 5711 retains value so well, because otherwise it would be over-priced for a well-made but basic steel watch.
    The blue dial has been 'in' fashion for 40 years. Style, when it is as superbly crafted as the 3/5711, never goes out of fashion. It does however, quite rightly, come at a price.

Master
    Get the white and then buy some of this?

No OP I wouldn't have a clue what to do in that situation either. However, the white dial does seem to sell for less than cost. If you buy that and there's a price rise, it may cover the loss when you come to flip and get a blue model, but it's still a risk. Otherwise you'll lose on the white and then have to pay more for the blue anyway, which is meaning you'll be paying even more.

My bet is if you're willing to spend £16k, you'll be will to spend extra if the blue came along after the price rise (still speculation anyway), so I'd probably just wait and get the one you really want.

Banned
    I know it's a subjective choice, but would you go with the white or wait for other options to come along?
    Absolutely not. Don't even think about it.