closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: eBay auction winning bid not honoured

eBay auction winning bid not honoured

Guys some advice please, I won a no reserve auction on eBay, I was not the only bidder, paid immediately on winning. Now the seller has sent me a message saying he has refunded me as he can't sell for the winning bid as he forgot to put a reserve on, what can I do? Any advice appreciated.

your only real option is to leave them negative feedback and report them as a non-performing seller.

When you put your bid in e-bay tells you that you are entering into a contract if successful. In reality the bloke can tell you to shove it and there isn't much you can do apart from grass him up to e-bay and leave him negative feedback.

If the item is something you really want, ask him his reserve (or the minimum he'll accept) and decide if you want it for that price or not.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You haven't a leg to stand on. Just like if you had won and then decided you didn't want the item, you wouldn't be forced to pay.

If he doesn't want to sell to you, he doesn't want to sell to you. It doesn't matter what the excuse is .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

If you told us who the seller is we could make a note to avoid them or deal with caution.

Nothing much you can do except try to agree a price if you really want it, it's annoying and has happened to me but nothing you can do really.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    As others have mentioned there isn't anything you can do other than leave negative feedback and report it to eBay. If the seller does it more than once they can suspend the selling account as a sort of punishment

i have messaged him asking what reserve price he had in mind as i did bid considerably more than the winning bidder, if i dont get a reply i might name and shame here. going to give him reasonable time to reply first though.

I don't know the values involved but he has sold the item to you and it is now yours. If its worth spending £80 take him to the small claims court, you will win.

That's ebay for you.....

Ask him what he wants and if it's not what you are prepared to pay just ignore it and move on....life's too short!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post
    I don't know the values involved but he has sold the item to you and it is now yours. If its worth spending £80 take him to the small claims court, you will win.
    Are you sure? Is there previous precedent for this regarding ebay auction sales?

I don`t know whether you're right or wrong with this advice...........are you?

Sensible way forward is to try and agree a price wit the seller. He's broken the rules but he won`t be the first. If he really won`t play ball I`d report him to ebay as a last resort......or maybe you could take him to small-claims court!

Paul

Master
    eBay stinks, the scammers know how to use PayPal & eBay to best use.
    Chalk it up & forget about it as don't think you will get very far myself.

Utter tosh.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned
    Give a bad feedback and move on.

Apprentice
    I would have come on a bit heavier and stated if he wants to back out of the contract I'd see him in court.

I know being reasonable sometimes works, but the sellers not exactly being reasonable with you. It's their mistake not yours.

What are we talking about anyway and where was the seller based?

Based on what? He didn't sell it, he changed his mind.

It's annoying but **** happens. I'd just move on.

If the seller was from Germany you could enforce it, absolutely no question about that.

I understand it might be different in the UK, so suppose this is not too relevant.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Sounds like the "seller" was a bit naive here - all he had to do was to claim that the item was "lost" or "broken" and he would not be eligible to receive a non-performing seller strike (and could probably have got any negative feedback removed).

There was (allegedly - I don't have a link) a court case which involved a caravan which sold on eBay and where the seller refused to honour the deal. The buyer won the court case, which was for the difference in value between the winning bid and the cost to buy an equivalent replacement. However, as with all court cases, the effort, risk and cost involved means that it should be a route of last resort, and then only when the sums involved are worthwhile.

Personally, in this case, I would just leave negative feedback/low stars/non-performing seller and move on. I'd be very reluctant to buy, at whatever price, from somebody who refused to honour a winning bid.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Based on what? He didn't sell it, he changed his mind.
    Breach of contract. He agreed to sell, you agreed to buy. Contract. He Changed his mind = breach of contract.

Journeyman
    He changed his mind. Small claims is a useful but time consuming process. It is there for when you suffer a financial loss. This hardly qualifies. I do think you would be wasting your time. Negative feedback is your only recourse. My daughter asking me not to sell an item that had just one bid on it. I should have said it was broken but I was honest and got negative feedback for my trouble. Ebay is far more troublesome now for sellers because they cannot buyers negative feedback and as a seller I have had a number of trades not go through because the winners decide to not pay.

Just move on, put it down to experience and don’t deal with him again.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Auction was for a bunch of Rolex metal letters and a sign, his user name, seasick09. No reply and negative feedback left. Time to move on, hey ho

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    If the item is something you really want, ask him his reserve (or the minimum he'll accept) and decide if you want it for that price or not.
    That's far too much common sense and will never please those who want to get out the pitchforks and the tar and feathers

Quote Originally Posted by Ian. View Post
    I would have come on a bit heavier and stated if he wants to back out of the contract I'd see him in court.

I know being reasonable sometimes works, but the sellers not exactly being reasonable with you. It's their mistake not yours.
    So you'd waste court time and your time and energy all over a simple mistake.

Priceless.

It wasn't a mistake and the seller reneged on his contact. He sold the item and now won't supply it. Perfect for a small claim if the value is worth the fee.

People shouldn't be allowed to walk away from commitments they freely enter into, there is far too much of this sort of thing going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Utter tosh.
    In your opinion maybe but its the law.

And I have another non sender now, won an auction for an iMac, paid immediately for express delivery within 4 days (hardly express) and guess what? Not a peep, no item, not marked as despatched, no answers to messages, nothing, from someone with big feedback. There's Gotta be another coming along just now to make up the 3. What is wrong with some people?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Are you sure? Is there previous precedent for this regarding ebay auction sales?

I don`t know whether you're right or wrong with this advice...........are you?

Sensible way forward is to try and agree a price wit the seller. He's broken the rules but he won`t be the first. If he really won`t play ball I`d report him to ebay as a last resort......or maybe you could take him to small-claims court!

Paul

He is right
    I've done it

Master
    This would never go to court realistically. Have had this happen to me many times. Buy an item, seller either changes their mind. Makes up lies such as it was never heirs to sell in their first place, it's now lost/broken. Simple as that really and it ends there. Impossible to prove otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    And I have another non sender now, won an auction for an iMac, paid immediately for express delivery within 4 days (hardly express) and guess what? Not a peep, no item, not marked as despatched, no answers to messages, nothing, from someone with big feedback. There's Gotta be another coming along just now to make up the 3. What is wrong with some people?
    If you have such bad experience with eBay why not switch to another website??
    Instead you keep giving them business and money...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    If you have such bad experience with eBay why not switch to another website??
    Instead you keep giving them business and money...

Can you suggest viable alternatives?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Can you suggest viable alternatives?
    Sure!
    Check your pm!

Update, well seasick09 came through in the end, started talking to me and we resolved the issue to both our satisfaction, and the guy with the computer woke up and sent it to me, after I opened a case mind, but a result at last.

Sure!
    Check your pm!

Is it a secret?

Master
    I personally would except it's upto the seller and maybe I'll be in the same situation one day. I'll certainly not loose sleep over it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Is it a secret?
    Apparently so

Master
    Maybe, just maybe, they are away for a few days? Family crisis? who knows, if you bought the seller and they have great feedback something unforeseen could have happened.
    As a buyer you always have eBay and PayPal back up, so worry not

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, they are away for a few days? Family crisis? who knows, if you bought the seller and they have great feedback something unforeseen could have happened.
    As a buyer you always have eBay and PayPal back up, so worry not
    i get they could be away, but you need to inform people, update the ad, "away for a few days will contact as soon as back" its not rocket science

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Is it a secret?
    Sorry just saw that. No, it is not but it could seem like an advertisement...

Sorry just saw that. No, it is not but it could seem like an advertisement...

oh go on do tell

Master
    Ebid and Etsy seem to be gaining some ground lately.

Master
    i get they could be away, but you need to inform people, update the ad, "away for a few days will contact as soon as back" its not rocket science
    Yeah true, just playing devil's advocate, a non response is annoying of course but there may be a legitimate reason for it.
    Or some eBayers are just poor communicators, I've had a few, won bids or BIN and not a thing from the seller, then items just turned up!