timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incredibly high resolution photo demo

Craftsman

Incredibly high resolution photo demo

Use this link and keep zooming in...

http://www.bentleymotors.com/en/apps/look-closer.html

Sent by devilishly cunning means

I saw this yesterday and while it's nice, its a marketing gimmick rather than a real high res image.

It looks to be created from a compilation of manipulated photography and 3d renders. Meaning you can't zoom into that kind of detail anywhere else on the shot, unlike the proper super high res shots which are just one image that can be zoomed in on any area to reveal incredible detail.

Still a nice car though.

It's an exercise in science wank, as an image it's very dull.

Craftsman
    But, it has many many pixels!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Wharry View Post
    But, it has many many pixels!?!?
    Probably not. Look at the resolution on the lampposts compared to the car as you zoom.

Craftsman
    Sorry, should have used the /sarcasm tags. It works better when spoken out loud...

Like most things photographic, hi-res has been done before. Take a look here, just click "view full size" and zoom in, the images from the large glass plate negatives (up to 8x10") are marvellously detailed.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    It's an exercise in science wank, as an image it's very dull.
    I disagree - I think the view over the Golden Gate bridge from the Marin Headland is a great image.

The near total lack of traffic on the bridge, though, gives away the camera trickery involved...

M.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    Probably not. Look at the resolution on the lampposts compared to the car as you zoom.
    Quite. Start to zoom in on the car and even before you get "near" it looks as though it's been photoshopped.

There have been some very impressive examples of super hi-resolution images - one at Obama's inauguration and a panoramic image of London, to mention just two. These are incredibly impressive.

This is just marketing guff.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    fake non high res images, with only one focus point on an ugly car.

pure fail for a brand of this class, because if they had done it properly, you could have zoomed in around the picture and the rest of the car, that would have been amazing.

It was dreamed up by a coke high marketing department. What does anyone expect?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Bollox

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Bollox
    Most likely it was the client who said 'I have this amazing idea' and then an account handler told the creatives to execute it and then the creatives (who gave up drugs when they graduated) rolled their eyes and said "are you shitting me?" Then gave it to somebody in production to oversee while they got on with more important branding work.

Master
    My good lady has a similar feature when I collect the post, with a watch box hiding in there!
    :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Like most things photographic, hi-res has been done before. Take a look here, just click "view full size" and zoom in, the images from the large glass plate negatives (up to 8x10") are marvellously detailed.

Thanks for that link! Hours and hours of gazing at high res pics of bygone eras. I like that! And thanks for the Bentley pic!

Menno

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Thanks for that link! Hours and hours of gazing at high res pics of bygone eras. I like that! And thanks for the Bentley pic!

Menno
    You're welcome... It's what motivated my posting, although judging done of the responses you'd think I kicked their cat

Sent by devilishly cunning means

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    My good lady has a similar feature when I collect the post, with a watch box hiding in there!
    :)
    Yeah but do you only fetch the post when you're expecting a watch delivery? ;)