closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Happy memories of London 2012

Happy memories of London 2012

A friend and I were getting ourselves organised to watch a few of the Olympics events together. They mentioned that they had actually been present for one of those events four years ago, and I began to remember what a lovely happy three weeks they were. Even for me, stuck on the sofa with a post-operative ankle waving in the air

Four years on, the most straightforwardedly happy and exciting memory is that of Epke Zonderland winning the High Bar gold:

Thanks for that one! I didn't see that at the time, epic performance.

for me has to be Chris Hoy in the Keirin.

skip to 9:30 for the final

i wasn't there in the velodrome but watched some Hockey (only tickets i could get!) and managed to get Paralympics tickets for athletics and the velodrome.
    was not really into the olympics before they came to London but its one of those memories that will stay with me forever, so glad i managed to see some of the action.

I remember waiting for the Samsung bus to pass with the torch procession and it was pis*ing with rain, just like today.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 29th June 2016 at 12:24.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I remember waiting for the Samsung bus to pass with the torch procession and it was piss*ng with rain, just like today.
    Was that an *especially* happy memory, or one that's proved to be an unexpected favourite?

I was working at the 2012 games and remember the weather was beautiful and the atmosphere was really friendly. It's something that will stay with me for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Was that an *especially* happy memory, or one that's proved to be an unexpected favourite?
    Other than this http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=olympic it was my only memory. I fell asleep during the opening ceremony and never watched another moment of it.

We were having a conversation about this in our office after the doom and gloom Brexit news. We all agreed it was quite possibly the happiest the country had been in years!
    I have fond memories of watching the cycling in the velodrome and seeing Dani King, Laura Trott and Joanna Rowsell take gold in the team pursuit.... what a Super Saturday that was.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    A friend and I were getting ourselves organised to watch a few of the Olympics events together. They mentioned that they had actually been present for one of those events four years ago, and I began to remember what a lovely happy three weeks they were. Even for me, stuck on the sofa with a post-operative ankle waving in the air

Four years on, the most straightforwardedly happy and exciting memory is that of Epke Zonderland winning the High Bar gold:

Fantastic performance, Epke is a great guy & if a little controversial for his go BIG, high risk strategy.
    I was there (same venue, O2) in 2009 worlds when he didn't quite hit it and he took it really well, moving his focus to the next year & 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Fantastic performance, Epke is a great guy & if a little controversial for his go BIG, high risk strategy.
    I was there (same venue, O2) in 2009 worlds when he didn't quite hit it and he took it really well, moving his focus to the next year & 2012.
    Wiki tells me he didn't have a great 2015 due to injury, but his blog tells me he's back in training and looking to qualify for Rio on 9 July.

The Paras was pretty cool too... I think I saw *five* TeamGB Gold Medals.

David Weir and Xhang Lixin by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Introducing Jonnie Peacock by Noodlefish, on Flickr

Paralympic Hairdo by Noodlefish, on Flickr

2012 was my best ever Sporting year as a spectator!!

I was at:

Canadian Grand Prix & saw Lewis win
    Premiership Rugby final to see my rugby team Quins win
    Champions league final to see my football team Chelsea win
    Gold Saturday at the Olympics - fantastic night
    100m final

Can't see that happpening again anytime soon!

Stand out event must be watching Mo Farah win the 10K - the atmosphere in the stadium was unbelievable & quite unlike anything I have ever witnessed before.

Biggest regret of the year was not going to Paris to watch Bradley Wiggins win the TdF........& see him leading out Cav for the stage win......

Cheers

Paul

I hadn't heard the term 'Gold Saturday' until I read it in a post above, however I was there that night and the place was buzzing with excitement.

After a British athlete won Gold Coca Cola were giving away commemorative bottles which they very kindly opened for you to drink.

I managed to convince the lady to not open it and now I've got a nice souvenir. Maybe some day it will be worth a few ££s

Craftsman
    a friend of mine was involved with a company that helped organise it,we were lucky enough to get tickets for the mens 200m final which usain bolt won and broke the olympic record,also the 800m mens final where david rudisha broke the world record.
    we spent the day there as there was so much going on in the olympic park as a whole,it really did make you understand what a massive worldwide event the olympics is.
    great memory

I was at the Paralympics as a coach and it was an unforgettable experience.

The thing I remember most vividly was walking into the Park on the first morning of the Games and seeing thousands upon thousands upon thousands of people pouring through the gates and thinking "holy s**t, all of these people have come here to see us, we'd better put on a good show!"

The level of support our athletes received was phenomenal and I hope Rio provides a similar experience.

Blog Entries
    Nice to see this Epke footage again.

My son and I attended the London 2012 Games together - in fact, I asked you guys here for 'must see' spots in London for me and my son and got some great advice, as usual.
    It was only yesterday that I told a colleague that visiting the Games was one of our most memorable short brakes/vacations ever. The whole attitude and atmosphere in the town contributed to that! Fantastic.

Because The Netherlands is a small country with a pretty large group of Olympic Athletes, it's no surprise that many people here personally know one of these athletes and heard their stories. Which in a way lifts the level of awareness of young people who will try to attend an Olympic venue in the future.

When in London, Maurice my son and I also attended the Holland House at Ally Pally (Holy Led Zeppelin grounds!) and I sat there on a terrace overlooking London. There I met Epke's uncle. Also named Epke! Epke himself is from a small farmer's town in the north and his uncle runs a farm. Every tournament, his uncle steps into his car towing a caravan and travels to the venue. And every time he manages to start a conversation with a farmer near that venue town. Always leading to an invite to put up his caravan on that farmers grounds! Only time he didn't succeed was when Epke's tournament was held in Peking...

Epke is studying to become a surgeon and he's busy working in a hospital where a former colleague sailing instructor runs the surgeon department. She told me that patients nowadays are used to be treated by an Olympic Gold winner.

Last month Epke injured his hand (thumb) and that he's a little under the weather, but he has high hopes for Rio!

Menno

My flat is a few minutes away from one of the Olympic venues. I've been in London when the Marathon was on; I've been in London when Wimbledon was on; sadly I was in London on the day of the 7/7 bombings. But I stayed away during the Olympics.

Epke Zonderland, the 2012 Olympic champion, improvises...link...for silver, this time.
    Last edited by PickleB; 9th October 2017 at 17:38.

Brilliant. Amazing strength too.
    His smile at the end was telling.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I was thinking of adding that to this thread myself a couple of hours ago!

Blog Entries
    I know Epke from a distance; I met him a few times in the past. Only brief. I know his uncle much better (also Epke!) and that's how I happen to meet his nephew Epke. It's really a nice guy. As nice as he looks. Without stardom attitudes. Just a guy who goes out shopping on Saturday morning in the local supermarket etc.

My son a I visited the 2012 Olympics: judo, cycling. What a great venue it was! Together we keep on talking about our three day trip, we talked about it even today. Perhaps it has to do with my son's ambition (and that of the Dutch Sailing Association) to participate during the 2024 Olympics: Paris - or in case of sailing: the Marseille region. I can hardly imagine that the road to 'Paris' will start next weekend with the first meeting and training - in February, we will drive south to Marseille for the first training on Olympic water... 6 years ahead.

Epke can do more than what he has shown on the 2012 venue. Have a look here: 5 Elements - on a Monday morning in May!

https://www.facebook.com/epkezonderl...0967958629028/

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    My son, born early '13 has just started school. His cohort is one of the largest for years and they are, apparently, attributing that to the Olympics. So clearly some people really enjoyed it.

Craftsman
    Remember the mad dash for tickets online? I didn't get a great deal of interest from my family when suggesting applying for them but put in just the one application for what turned it to be Super Saturday in the athletics stadium. I got six tickets, much to my surprise and managed to get all my kids and the wife to come along and had an unforgettable experience. Jess Ennis, Greg Rutherford, Usain Bolt, just a fantastic day and probably unrepeatable in my lifetime.

London buzzed for those two weeks.

I remember being on the tube with some of the canadian athletic team and later the same day the australian volleyball squad.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that! Epke is from the North (Friesland) where they call him 'Us Epke' ('Our Epke). Epke is GP and is currently working at the Northern Olympic Centre Hub in Heerenveen.

I met his uncle in London in 2012. Also called Epke. He and a mate went to all Epke's tournaments. He had a brilliant trick to keep the costs down: he and his mate, both farmers, went by car and caravan and a few bottles Dutch Gin (jenever) and a Northern style 'firewater' (Beerenburg) - everywhere in Europe where Epke had to perform. They pick more-or-less rural spots near the event-town but with a train connection into town. Then they started a conversation with a local farmer and told them that they were farmers as well. Uncle Epke and his mate told me that it worked every time: talk with a farmer about farming and you get an invitation to stay on the farmer's grounds with the caravan. No camping site etc. Just for the price of a few bottles!