closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Joseph Bazalgette would be proud of us...

Joseph Bazalgette would be proud of us...

Indeed. Interesting that, given its immense size, this has passed under the radar, or should I say the Thames.
    I went on a tour of Thames sewers a few months ago.
    Very interesting, albeit a bit too close to the action for me if I was truthful..

A BBC article...link...reminded me about this project and led me to discover their Vimeo site:

They're still working: Barge delivers final concrete segment rings

The 238th and final barge delivering concrete segment rings used to line the central section of the Thames Tideway Tunnel has arrived at Tideway’s Kirtling Street site.

Each barge transports 30 concrete rings, weighing approximately 30-tonnes each, removing the need for over 14,000 heavy goods vehicle movements on local roads.

A total of 6,974 concrete rings were required to line the 12.6 km Central section of the Thames Tideway Tunnel, excavated by two giant tunnelling machines from Tideway’s Kirtling Street site.

Each ring is made up of seven large segments and a key stone. The segments are safely lowered to the bottom of the shaft, 47 m deep below ground, and transported along the tunnel to the tunnel boring machines (TBM) digging London’s new super sewer.

Millicent, the westbound TBM launched from Kirtling Street, completed her 5 km subterranean westbound journey to Carnwath Road in Fulham late last year, installing 2,702 concrete rings in this section of tunnel.

The eastbound tunnelling machine, Ursula, recently passed below Tower Bridge some 50 m on her 7.6 km route to Tideway's Chambers Wharf site in Bermondsey. Ursula has just over 150 concrete rings left to install to complete the primary lining of this stretch of tunnel.

Slightly ironic that his two best known constructions are both end of life together - the London sewer and Hammersmith Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Slightly ironic that his two best known constructions are both end of life together - the London sewer and Hammersmith Bridge.
    I haven't researched it but maybe they've lasted longer than might have been expected and we, in modern times, are just catching up with maintenance / replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I haven't researched it but maybe they've lasted longer than might have been expected and we, in modern times, are just catching up with maintenance / replacement?
    Absolutely true I am sure - certainly Hammersmith Bridge has been shockingly neglected and we (as locals) are paying the price!

Joseph Bazalgette famously took the sh*t out of London houses, his great great grandson, Sir Peter Bazalgette was responsible for the TV series Big Brother, thereby reversing the process.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    This deserved more recognition.

Super sewer’s riverside ventilation column installed:

The first riverside ‘signature ventilation column’ that will adorn sites along the route of the super sewer has been installed along Putney Embankment.

The columns represent an artistic and sculptural engineering solution and will eventually occupy nine sites at which Tideway is creating new public spaces.

The form of the 5m-high sculpture is inspired by flowing water, while each column features a poem referencing an aspect of the local area’s heritage.

The poem for the column at Putney references the lost river, the Beverly Brook, and its relation to early women’s swimming races help in the river at the site.

This column was cast in the Netherlands before being brough to Walham Forest for finishing and patination.

They've finished tunneling...link...and the "project is due to be complete in 2025, following secondary lining, connection and testing works."