closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Orange Seamaster PO - Any reason not to buy one?

Journeyman

Orange Seamaster PO - Any reason not to buy one?

Hello chaps, I've fallen a little bit in love with this below (orange being my favourite colour as well)...

http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/000200...n-Mens-Watch/p

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy one? I do have slightly small wrists at 7.5', I'm popping into my local dealer next week to try one on for size.

I really like the PO, I think it makes a great everyday watch.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

It's quite top heavy. One on my wrist as I type this.

Master
    Very thick so definitely try one first.

Master
    That model is being replaced soon I think, so you may be able to get a better deal if you hold out?

See here:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...n+discontinued

Banned
    If you like it, buy it. Hard to go wrong with an Omega.

I like them

They always sell well if you buy the full size

But I'd be buying used and save a packet

Master
    A friend of mine has one and I like it a lot. It's very well built and looks fine on his quite slim wrists, albeit it does wear a bit high.
    I'm not sure if he regrets going for the orange because he has mentioned considering swapping the bezel. In summer, he wears it on the orange rubber and to my eyes it is too, well orange really.
    The only issue that would stop me buying one is the lack of micro adjustment on the clasp (having a glidelock on my subc has spoilt me), but you can apparently use the one from the SM300.
    VFM wise, you can't go wrong, especially at a discount (e.g. check out places such as Iconic Watches/other grey dealers).

Journeyman
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I looked on iconic and they only seem to be around £300 cheaper. I'd never considered second hand. Apart from the classifieds on here, where else trustworthy could I seek a used one?

Also is there any pictures yet of the new one being released next month? I can definitely hold out if I like that one more!

ETA: Hate to link eBay but is this the same watch?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Seam...sAAOSwcBhWYaLz
    Last edited by working class; 26th June 2016 at 08:18.

Master
    I've had one and loved it. Great quality, accuracy, and design cues - look for the orange accents all over the place. The 46mm was quite big and heavy though.

Had one ,loved it ,wish I'd kept it,don't think you'll be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My black 42 PO is my most worn watch by a mile, great watches (IMO). Not sure when 7.5 inch wrists became small?

The new model should be in shops next month, a few of the current model might hit sales corner not long after as a result, the dealers may be more open to decent discounts as well to shift the stock.

I had SMPs for about 10 years before switching to the PO. I had the 45mm model in the 2500 and the 42mm in the 8500 with 6.75 inch wrists. I found the 45 a bit too top heavy and didn't fancy a ti watch. They do sit quite high on the wrist so if you wear tight cuffs they can be a little annoying. If I could only keep one watch it would be the PO for me without a date, very versatile.

Journeyman
    I have that very watch. £3400 new ain't too bad but buying used you should be able to get it a little cheaper. There are plenty good used examples around. Try Watchfinder for example. I also have fairly thin wrists and this smaller PO looks absolutely fine. In fact it's still my favourite watch in my collection. I also think the orange bezel PO is a real classic.

Quote Originally Posted by working class View Post
    Hello chaps, I've fallen a little bit in love with this below (orange being my favourite colour as well)...

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy one? I do have slightly small wrists at 7.5', I'm popping into my local dealer next week to try one on for size.
    Firstly 7.5" wrists aren't that small but you might want to try the 42 and 45.5 version to see which you like the look of best. I've not owned a 8500 PO but have tried them on many times and just can't quite live with the thickness. I did eventually get the older and much better height 2500 PO in orange and initially went for the 45.5 but swapped it to a 42mm as it just suited me better. I have a similar sized wrist to yourself.

The new ones at 43.5mm look to be a great size, think they are a fraction thinner though still too thick, and I can't wait to try one on. Of course they are going to be slightly less orange now with the black and orange bezel but I do like the look of the new rubber straps and that might just make it wear a little better than the bracelet. Guess we'll see soonish - rumor was they would start appearing in July.

Master
    One of my favourites. Go for it..

Apprentice
    Cool looking watch, especially for this time of year! I've seen people wear this on some cool straps too, NATOs etc

Funnily enough I have my 45.5 on my 7.5ish wrist today, so here are few shots to hopefully help with the visualisation! :0))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Great watches.
    As always, try before you buy. The 45mm should be fine on your wrist.
    Bear in mind they are soon to be discontinued so there should be deals out there if buying new. You'll save a decent amount if you go for a used one with a bit of warranty left.
    Good luck.

Craftsman
    Had to double take their model selection drop-down box, looks like the bigger one is an absolute steal at first glance:

42mm, £3400 (was £3800) within 2-3 working days
    46mm FREE next day delivery

Journeyman
    Thank you for the replies chaps. I popped into town and tried one one. As many of you said it did feel quite heavy on my wrist, however I'm not used to wearing such a quality watch so maybe I was just imagining it to be a bit heavy?

However, whilst I was in there I had a look at a Speedmaster moonwatch, tried it on and now can't decide between the 2. The moonwatch came in a lovely box with an eye piece & book etc.

Also it's a bit more money and atm I don't seem to be seeing many used ones?

Master
    the 45mm, even the 42mm in steel are quite a heavy watch in steel, say comapred to a Submariner, it's because they are bigger, diameter, case depth and they have a crystal case back.
    I've tiny wirsts comapred to some on here, I went for the 42mm Ti, which worked out great, the watch I wanted with the weight I was willing to put up with. Having said that, over time you'd get used to it anyway.
    So, if you like it, you think it fits you and you have the funds, go for it.
    Yes there is a new version coming out, but as with a lot of Omegas if you're waiting for the latest, you'll never buy one as they update / change the product line fairly often comapred to other makers of this quality

Thank you for the replies chaps. I popped into town and tried one one. As many of you said it did feel quite heavy on my wrist, however I'm not used to wearing such a quality watch so maybe I was just imagining it to be a bit heavy?

However, whilst I was in there I had a look at a Speedmaster moonwatch, tried it on and now can't decide between the 2. The moonwatch came in a lovely box with an eye piece & book etc.

The box and book will go straight in the top of the wardrobe so don't let that influence you in any way.

The Speedmaster hasn't changed much over the years so a nice used example makes a lot of sense.

Remember the Speedy is hand wound v the Auto movement in the PO.

Master
    The Speedmaster / Seamaster question always pops up.
    The Speedmaster is very reliable manual workhorse that is deceptively tough but not very water proof. I'm going to get one at some point but brought a Seamaster first simply because I wanted a nice watch I could dive in the sea with and go snorkelling etc.
    if diving in the ocean isn't a concern then both are very valid though I might be tempted to go for a vintage Speedmaster from pre 74 simply because this was the time when they really were the tool watch of choice for NASA.

Master

?
    Trust me, the box and fancy gubbins ends up in the loft or somewhere else for storage. Choose the watch you prefer. They also sometimes get lost!

(Sorry seen someone else posted this too)
    Last edited by troymcclure72; 1st July 2016 at 16:01.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dam this thread I have had two black and one Orange fell out of love with them, now looking at them again I want one. Bloody watches

Craftsman
    It's a beauty. Tried one on but it's just too big on my dainty wrists (<6.5").

I went for the black/orange Aqua Terra instead as it sits nicer on my wrist and still has that 'pop' of colours.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Dam this thread I have had two black and one Orange fell out of love with them, now looking at them again I want one. Bloody watches
    I just sold a Bell & Ross BR02 I bought fairly recently and now I want it back! This is an affliction...

Yes, a used 2500 version is cheaper and nicer, a 2254.50 is even more so :)

Blog Entries
    I had one. It was without doubt the most uncomfortable watch I've ever owned. I loved the look - but I could never get it to sit right on my 7.25" wrist.

I tried it on the bracelet, rubber, NATO - just never worked for me.

Shame as it looks great on all 3.

z

Master
    20% off these is easily achieved without much bartering. I've been offered 20% off a few times so you'll get nearer £3000 if you ask. Great watch by the way but I think the black has more longevity, I think i could tire of the orange as much as I like it now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I had one. It was without doubt the most uncomfortable watch I've ever owned. I loved the look - but I could never get it to sit right on my 7.25" wrist.

I tried it on the bracelet, rubber, NATO - just never worked for me.

Shame as it looks great on all 3.

z
    That is an easy fix with the adjustable clasp from the S300MC clasp... will fit 2500/8500 and 1610/930 speedy style bracelet... price for the whole parts will not cost You more than 200£ and I think for the 8500 with the screw type pins will just be under 100£ since You might only need the clasp alone.

Master
    Has many PO's over the years and to be honest if I had to chose only one watch it would be the orange PO chrono I have. Perfect watch for me!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Buy a 2500 42/45 depending on your wrist.

Put it on rubber with deployant. You won't regret it. I nearly sold mine and I just know I'd have regretted it. Just wear it on Nato and rubber these days. Should sell the bracelet really as I don't plan on ever moving the full set along again.

Banned
    I've had both sizes, the 46mm I sold after a few weeks as it was just too big and the 42mm felt smaller than my SubC which has a 40mm case !
    So I went for the GMT Goodplanet, at 43.5mm it's just right. The new models about to be released are 43.5mm so I presume use the same case as the GMT. Quality watch, I've had it for 9 days now and it's only gained 3 seconds, better time keeping than any Rolex I've ever had, and I've had a few !!!

Craftsman
    This model is now dis continued. Never gonna be a classic in orange.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    This model is now dis continued. Never gonna be a classic in orange.
    I have a 8500 orange bezel on order so I can swap between my black bezel.

Looking forward to it being fitted and returned. I actually think it could be a future classic.

I have the 42mm 8500 dark grey (think it is supposed to be mat black but it just looks grey to me) bezel version as the bigger one was just too big for me. It is quite thick and chunky (in a good way) and I tend to wear it on a Hirsch Robby rubber/leather strap in the summer months (plus the bracelet feels like 1/3 of the total weight!).

Here is mine on the wrist

And off the wrist

A guy at work has the older 2500 model on a black rubber strap and it looks awesome with the black bezel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SG73 View Post

A guy at work has the older 2500 model on a black rubber strap and it looks awesome with the black bezel.
    One thing I found about the 2500 was that it trashed the cuffs of my workshirts, the rotating bezel had a sharp finish to the edges, the castelated effect on the edge of the 8500 bezel hasn't done any damage.

Popped into Brighton on Monday to look in WoS to see if they had any of the new PO models in but looks like that won't be until later in the month.

Master
    I hope the OP hasn't bought yet....check this out. Just over £2700. Bargain!!!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ra-20-discount

Journeyman
    I always find the PO range to be a little too thick. They are also top heavy if worn on a rubber or leather strap, although a steel bracelet balances them out quite well. I looked at them several times before sticking with my Seamadter Pro.

[...]However, whilst I was in there I had a look at a Speedmaster moonwatch, tried it on and now can't decide between the 2. The moonwatch came in a lovely box with an eye piece & book etc.

I think the Speedmaster is the better bet in the long run; the PO is unlikely to age nearly as well.

Craftsman
    PO 2500 on Isofrane, the perfect summer watch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I think the Speedmaster is the better bet in the long run; the PO is unlikely to age nearly as well.
    They are very different from each other and You'll have to consider where will You or How You will use the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mjoranga View Post
    They are very different from each other and You'll have to consider where will You or How You will use the watch.
    Yes, obviously.

I'm just saying that the Speedmaster is a classic with an identity of its own, whereas the PO isn't.

Master
    Yes, obviously.

I'm just saying that the Speedmaster is a classic with an identity of its own, whereas the PO isn't.
    Totally agree with You on that, I'm just trying to help the OP to decide wisely as He was more amazed with the massive box and magnifying lens that comes with the speedy which is pretty much no use after sometime.

Master
    Yes, obviously.

Personally I'd disagree with this. The Speedy has the benefit of forty five years of pedigree, largely unchanged. So it is a classic.

The Planet Ocean is a modern interpretation of the SM300. So bares some similarity with its forebears but has its own style and character. Personally, I love mine and would never flip it.

The speedy is an itch that will get scratched eventually but I have no regrets buying the PO first.