closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article in GQ... Questions

Interesting article in GQ... Questions

Good evening gents and ladies,

Firstly I'd like to say 'Hi!' - I've always used these forum as a go to reference as my interest in watches has developed, so thank you!

I have a couple of questions...

I'm in the process of considering options for around £1000 and recently came across an article in GQ magazine (pics below) focused on Louis Erard. This is a brand that I've been looking at for a couple of months and they seem to be expanding in the UK - from what I've seen the designs are nice and the pricing is very good. I'm particularly interested in their 1931 Ultra Thin models that use the Peseux 7001 movement.

From what I've read this is a great movement, but it seems to be quite uncommon - does anyone here have experience of this movement?? Which other brands use this movement and does anyone know of any others around £1000??

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!
    Pete

I would say that the Peseux 7001 movement is actually quite common and used by many brands (including some pretty high-end ones). It is a good movement and quite reliable in my experience.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Can't help re your questions but you must be aware that many of the 'articles' in men's magazines are just advertisements. Sometimes it is clearly indicated and sometimes not.

Interesting history here http://en.montres-louiserard.ch/historique.php

As a brand making its own watches it barely goes back 25 years .
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 22nd June 2016 at 21:36.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    I would say that the Peseux 7001 movement is actually quite common and used by many brands (including some pretty high-end ones). It is a good movement and quite reliable in my experience.
    Thanks, I've seen a lot less of it than some of ETA's other movements (2824, 2892 etc). I like the idea of a manual wind, do you know of any other examples at around £1000?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Can't help re your questions but you must be aware that many of the 'articles' in men's magazines are just advertisements. Sometimes it is clearly indicated and sometimes not.
    Hi, thanks - indeed, I take these things with a pinch of salt but I sometimes stumble across things that interest me... Plus, the pictures are usually nicely done :)

Craftsman
    Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post

Interesting history here http://en.montres-louiserard.ch/historique.php

As a brand making its own watches it barely goes back 25 years .
    Yes, I've looked into it. They started making watches in 1931 then it looks like during World War II they moved in to parts manufacturing before moving back to watches - but this sort of thing is true of many brands, Blancpain and Lange both disappeared for a long time - I'm sure lots did.

Master
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I can't help with the watch manufacturer in question but I would say be sure before you commit as I can't imagine the residuals are up to much, ultimately you'd be keeping it until you pretty much give it away.

With that kind of budget I'd be looking pre owned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petewill View Post
    Thanks, I've seen a lot less of it than some of ETA's other movements (2824, 2892 etc). I like the idea of a manual wind, do you know of any other examples at around £1000?
    Tourby, Steinhart, Alexander Shorokhoff, Frederique Constant, and plenty of others, whom you’ve probably never heard of.
    Have a look on Chrono24, compile a shortlist for further research, and then decide which gets the nod.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I can't help with the watch manufacturer in question but I would say be sure before you commit as I can't imagine the residuals are up to much, ultimately you'd be keeping it until you pretty much give it away.

With that kind of budget I'd be looking pre owned.
    Hi, I'm more inclined to go for something because I like it rather than the residual value etc.. Same goes for cars, otherwise non of us would drive new cars! Pre-owned may be worth a look, thanks!

Master
    Hi, I'm more inclined to go for something because I like it rather than the residual value etc.. Same goes for cars, otherwise non of us would drive new cars! Pre-owned may be worth a look, thanks!
    Personally, I find Luis Erard to produce interesting watches. Not as obvious as TAG at that price point, however I would have to suggest looking at the current sales of Ernest Jones etc, as Longines make fantastic watches (part of swatch group) and they can be picked up at nice prices right now.

I do like the Louis Erard you've chosen though and if you like it, it's a case of go for it really.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Personally, I find Luis Erard to produce interesting watches. Not as obvious as TAG at that price point, however I would have to suggest looking at the current sales of Ernest Jones etc, as Longines make fantastic watches (part of swatch group) and they can be picked up at nice prices right now.

I do like the Louis Erard you've chosen though and if you like it, it's a case of go for it really.
    Absolutely, I like the idea of having something a little less common. The sale might be worth a look, thanks!

Banned
    Looks like pointless blah... why would you want that on your wrist?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Looks like pointless blah... why would you want that on your wrist?
    Braindead comment... Braindead moron

Banned
    Braindead comment... Braindead moron
    Some chaps buy an old brand and slap together some watches. Happens all the time. Doesn't really hold any horological interest. Cheap humdrum movement and seen it all before cases. Either save your money for a real watch or simply get a Casio.

Given your budget I'd take a good long look at our host's Sewills Ferreira PRS39. In particular look at the spec of the movement, and take into account that it's easily serviceable. You would pay an awful lot more for a watch of this quality and with this movement from one of the "upmarket" brands. Click on the Timefactors logo at the top of the page to find it.
    F.T.F.A.

Some chaps buy an old brand and slap together some watches. Happens all the time. Doesn't really hold any horological interest. Cheap humdrum movement and seen it all before cases. Either save your money for a real watch or simply get a Casio.
    Thanks for your laughably stupid input, I'll choose to ignore it though on the grounds that the entire luxury industry is based on old names being acquired and developed by investors. You're probably the type of person that can't look past Rolex, Omega etc because you desperately need the residual value, then convinces himself that he doesn't like anything else anyway. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Given your budget I'd take a good long look at our host's Sewills Ferreira PRS39. In particular look at the spec of the movement, and take into account that it's easily serviceable. You would pay an awful lot more for a watch of this quality and with this movement from one of the "upmarket" brands. Click on the Timefactors logo at the top of the page to find it.
    Looks like a nice watch! Not one I'm familiar with, thanks for the suggestion, lots to look in to!

Personally, I'd say that Nomos is by far the watch to have around the £1K mark, especially if you like the style of that Louis Errard.

They're a thoroughly no-excuses independent watchmaker with an exemplary service and parts policy, and their basic Club model is simple and perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Personally, I'd say that Nomos is by far the watch to have around the £1K mark, especially if you like the style of that Louis Errard.

They're a thoroughly no-excuses independent watchmaker with an exemplary service and parts policy, and their basic Club model is simple and perfect.
    Hi, Nomos is still very much a consideration, although in the flesh I was a bit underwhelmed by the dials. I'm down to about 4 or 5 manual wind contenders now

Hmmm... Not loving the JLC Master Calendar rip-off at all.

Banned
    Not loving spammers who abuse the forum by posting ads for dubious products in their first post here.

If you are going to use the forum to spam, could you try to be a bit more subtle? I find your crude approach insulting and I find the watches you are trying to peddle pathetic.

Not loving spammers who abuse the forum by posting ads for dubious products in their first post here.

If you are going to use the forum to spam, could you try to be a bit more subtle? I find your crude approach insulting and I find the watches you are trying to peddle pathetic.
    ???? I joined the forum for advice and get this???? Go back to checking your Rolexes for scratches just in case you've devalued them before you've finished paying off the finance x x x

Banned
    ???? I joined the forum for advice and get this???? Go back to checking your Rolexes for scratches just in case you've devalued them before you've finished paying off the finance x x x
    Didn't it occur to you that by posting this kind of thing in your first post: "the designs are nice and the pricing is very good" is going to look suspect, especially when the prices are not good at all and the designs are derivative? If you think you know so much, then why bother asking for advice, extolling the virtues of this brand and posting an article about it?

Why not make your first post about who you are and discuss your interest in watches, what watches you have and which ones you want? This is what most honest forum members do.

If you must make your first post a question about a brand I think you should simply ask: "I am considering brand X, does anyone have any experience with it and what do you think of it?" That would look honest, while the drivel in your first post most certainly is not.

Didn't it occur to you that by posting this kind of thing in your first post: "the designs are nice and the pricing is very good" is going to look suspect, especially when the prices are not good at all and the designs are derivative? If you think you know so much, then why bother asking for advice, extolling the virtues of this brand and posting an article about it?

Why not make your first post about who you are and discuss your interest in watches, what watches you have and which ones you want? This is what most honest forum members do.

If you must make your first post a question about a brand I think you should simply ask: "I am considering brand X, does anyone have any experience with it and what do you think of it?" That would look honest, while the drivel in your first post most certainly is not.
    I shouldn't have to worry about what my first post is! Especially not just to appease some grumpy a***hole. My question relates to alternatives with the peseux movement, and I was explaining why I'm considering the watch in question. If it doesn't interest you, then don't comment with offensive nonsense - from what I can see, you own a Grand Seiko and I'm sure you don't want me telling you that it's derivative and you've wasted your money, correct?

Banned
    I shouldn't have to worry about what my first post is! Especially not just to appease some grumpy a***hole. My question relates to alternatives with the peseux movement, and I was explaining why I'm considering the watch in question. If it doesn't interest you, then don't comment with offensive nonsense - from what I can see, you own a Grand Seiko and I'm sure you don't want me telling you that it's derivative and you've wasted your money, correct?
    Are you saying that you already own an Erard? If you honestly think GS is derivative and overpriced, then you are entitled to your opinion, same as I am when I say what I think of Erard. No harm done unless you own one, or do you maybe own one already, or two or three, or a share in the whole flaming company? I can't see any other reason for the level of name calling you have resorted to. The opinion of one person on a forum would not have worried you much if you had no vested interest, would it?

If it looks like a spammer, swims like a spammer, and quacks like a spammer, then it probably is a spammer.

If you want to stay on this forum I suggest you untwist your knickers and clean up your act. A fresh start might be a good idea, and a good wash of the inside of your mouth with soap would help.

Are you saying that you already own an Erard? If you honestly think GS is derivative and overpriced, then you are entitled to your opinion, same as I am when I say what I think of Erard. No harm done unless you own one, or do you maybe own one already, or two or three, or a share in the whole flaming company? I can't see any other reason for the level of name calling you have resorted to. The opinion of one person on a forum would not have worried you much if you had no vested interest, would it?

If it looks like a spammer, swims like a spammer, and quacks like a spammer, then it probably is a spammer.

If you want to stay on this forum I suggest you untwist your knickers and clean up your act. A fresh start might be a good idea, and a good wash of the inside of your mouth with soap would help.
    If I ask for advice and get an offensive comment like yours that questions my personal tastes then how do you expect me to react? If you talk like an a***hole and act like an a***hole, then sorry mate - you're an a***hole...

Think before you comment.

Master
    Nothing special, to my eyes, many are DJ, AT JLC PP homages.
    But for a grand I suppose they're OK, personally I'd be looking at pre owned probably Longines flagship of some sort

Banned
    If I ask for advice and get an offensive comment like yours that questions my personal tastes then how do you expect me to react? If you talk like an a***hole and act like an a***hole, then sorry mate - you're an a***hole...

Think before you comment.
    I love your little rant. Your spam attempt backfired, did it? I think this calls for a gif.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Nothing special, to my eyes, many are DJ, AT JLC PP homages.
    But for a grand I suppose they're OK, personally I'd be looking at pre owned probably Longines flagship of some sort
    Hi, JLC and PP I know, but DJ and AT have me stumped? I'm sure they're out of my price range anyway! I've looked at Longines, someone mentioned there's a lot on sale at the moment in Ernest Jones but I feel like they're maybe a bit too mainstream, do they make any manual wind models that you know of? That's what I'm after really. Cheers

I love your little rant. Your spam attempt backfired, did it? I think this calls for a gif.

I'm embarrassed for you now mate, surely you have better things to do? Maybe not...

Do Longines use only ETA movements?

Master
    DJ, Rolex DateJust
    AT, Omega Aqua Terra
    I wasn't suggesting them as alternatives, I was saying that many LE watches look like cheap homages of the originals
    There's the odd El Primero looky likey too
    Looks to me like they're the Swiss Sekonda!
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Longines+manual+wind
    Last edited by nunya; 25th June 2016 at 21:43.

Banned
    I was saying that many LE watches look like cheap homages of the originals
    So did I, but my input was deemed: "laughably stupid".

Master
    So did I, but my input was deemed: "laughably stupid".
    Yes I saw that, aggressive little fellow isn't he?
    Guess you've got company in dunce corner then!

my input was deemed: "laughably stupid".
    It is.

Even the newbies get your number in their first few posts.

You're an unfunny joke, repeated again and again.

Yes I saw that, aggressive little fellow isn't he?
    Guess you've got company in dunce corner then!
    Funny, I was thinking exactly the same. Thanks for your and your friend's input, but I came here for advice, not to be put down for looking at watches at 'only' £1000

Master
    Funny, I was thinking exactly the same. Thanks for your and your friend's input, but I came here for advice, not to be put down for looking at watches at 'only' £1000
    Calm down dear
    GrandS is not my friend we've had run ins many times, it just happens we are in agreement this time. You asked for advise and you got it. To me, many of the LE watches are homages of more expensive ones, imo I would be looking at other brands in your price bracket, suggesting Longines is worth a look. I don't really see how that can be a put down.

I'd also suggest relaxing a bit and don't take things so personally, no need to get het up over an opinion.

Banned
    There are plenty of respectable watches that cost less than £1000. No one was putting you down, unless you are somehow connected with Erard watches, in which case you are a spammer.

Do Longines use only ETA movements?
    Longines are part of the Swatch group who also own ETA, so all modern Longines will have ETA movements.

The peseux 7001 is a common, but very reliable handwound movement. Nomos did use them and their current Alpha movement, although now 'in-house', take the 7001 as a base. Stowa use them for the Antea KS and Montblanc's Ultra Slim has one to name a few others.

I have no experience whatsoever of the brand, but will happily comment on what I see.
    It seems they have built up what looks like a relatively safe range of models, largely inspired by all sorts of relatiely successful models from other brands. It is relatiely easy to see the clear influence of the Datejust, the IWC Portugese, Max Bill's, Zenith's and so on.
    But, to be fair, it would be hard to develop such a comprehensive range without borrowing quite heavily from many sources.
    The range is quite conservative, and the gents watches seem quite universally large, with the attached problem of many of the features looking too close to the centre of the dial to look totally "right" to my eyes.
    It seems that the Perseux movement that you mention is especially guilty of that, managing it on only a 40mm diameter case.
    I usually look at the chronos in a range.
    The Heritage (uni-compax style) chronos are quite a successful design. The 3 register ones less so, for me
    They do not seem to be outrageously specified, nor overpriced.
    I see no reason not to get one of their watches, and it is true you are unlikely to find the next person you meet wearing one.
    But neither do I feel a particular desire to get one. Nothing grabs me as interestingly different and compelling.
    But that's just me.
    Keep us up to date with your thoughts. What are the other handwinds you are comparing these to??
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Longines are part of the Swatch group who also own ETA, so all modern Longines will have ETA movements.

The peseux 7001 is a common, but very reliable handwound movement. Nomos did use them and their current Alpha movement, although now 'in-house', take the 7001 as a base. Stowa use them for the Antea KS and Montblanc's Ultra Slim has one to name a few others.
    Thanks, not familiar with Stowa, just had a quick look, are they direct only?... I think I've looked at the Montblanc you're talking about, Hodinkee did an article on it - but I think the movement finishing in the Louis Erard is better, blued screws etc...

Banned

I have the same feeling about these. Somehow I find these watches very "Aliexpress". They would make sense if they charged around 100 quid for them, but the price they are asking is outrageous.

Mentioning these watches and Nomos in the same breath is an insult to Nomos. Nomos actually make decent honest watches and can be safely recommended.

Thanks, not familiar with Stowa, just had a quick look, are they direct only?... I think I've looked at the Montblanc you're talking about, Hodinkee did an article on it - but I think the movement finishing in the Louis Erard is better, blued screws etc...
    Stowa are direct only but they are well regarded and very good value IMHO. I've never owned one but have been looking very closely at their flieger. They were actually one of the original companies to produce pilot watches for the German Luftwaffe. The others being IWC, Laco, Wempe and Lange. So despite being bought over in 1996, they have a bit of history.

Personally I think the 40mm of the Louis Erard is too large for this style of watch. The movement is small and there is a lot of space in the watch case. You can see the amount of steel around the display back.

Have a look at the Junghans handwind options. They use an ETA 2801 handwind, but it's quite similar to the Peseux.

I have the same feeling about these. Somehow I find these watches very "Aliexpress". They would make sense if they charged around 100 quid for them, but the price they are asking is outrageous.

Mentioning these watches and Nomos in the same breath is an insult to Nomos. Nomos actually make decent honest watches and can be safely recommended.
    I certainly wasn't comparing them to Nomos, but the same Peseux movement was used by Nomos pre 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I have no experience whatsoever of the brand, but will happily comment on what I see.
    It seems they have built up what looks like a relatively safe range of models, largely inspired by all sorts of relatiely successful models from other brands. It is relatiely easy to see the clear influence of the Datejust, the IWC Portugese, Max Bill's, Zenith's and so on.
    But, to be fair, it would be hard to develop such a comprehensive range without borrowing quite heavily from many sources.
    The range is quite conservative, and the gents watches seem quite universally large, with the attached problem of many of the features looking too close to the centre of the dial to look totally "right" to my eyes.
    It seems that the Perseux movement that you mention is especially guilty of that, managing it on only a 40mm diameter case.
    I usually look at the chronos in a range.
    The Heritage (uni-compax style) chronos are quite a successful design. The 3 register ones less so, for me
    They do not seem to be outrageously specified, nor overpriced.
    I see no reason not to get one of their watches, and it is true you are unlikely to find the next person you meet wearing one.
    But neither do I feel a particular desire to get one. Nothing grabs me as interestingly different and compelling.
    But that's just me.
    Keep us up to date with your thoughts. What are the other handwinds you are comparing these to??
    Dave
    Hi Dave, thanks - I'm primarily looking at the Peseux and watches that use it, it's a movement I hadn't seen much of so still finding out what's out there. Nomos seem to be good value but their designs don't really do it for me. The Limes Pharo also looks like good value but the finishing is basic (it's approx. £600)

Banned
    Welcome to the forum...

I'm sure Goldsmiths and Watches of Switzerland don't sell fake watches - I would never buy a watch from Amazon. Please leave me alone.

Banned
    I'm sure Goldsmiths and Watches of Switzerland don't sell fake watches - I would never buy a watch from Amazon. Please leave me alone.
    I am not saying that these watches are fake. They just have the same kind of aura about them that the kind of cheap Chinese watches you can buy on Aliexpress have, no doubt made in the same factories that also churn out fakes...

Welcome to the forum...

Judging from other people's comments and PMs I've received your reputation around these parts isn't great. I came here for expert advice, not yours, thanks though.