closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SmartPhones

Craftsman

SmartPhones

I am not some technological luddite but up until now have had no cause for a smartphone, instead relying on my Nokia with its 7 day battery life for calls, and an Ipad for email.

I have a new job which requires a smartphone as part of the remote email solution and can use either an Apple or Android device. I would also like to use the new phone to store some music for the gym (but not stream it via spotify or similar) and whilst I am at it a good camera would save me carrying extra tech.

I was thinking the iphone 5s as i already have an itunes account so the music will transfer easily but is the camera any good?

Alternatively, if I go with android will I have to purchase/ re-purchase my already downloaded music?

I had a look today but there is simply too much choice - any advice is much appreciated.

Regards

Roy

You can upload iTunes music to Google music and have it in the cloud so that's not much of an issue. You can then download it to the phone via wifi when required. (Works on iOS and Android)

5S camera is still pretty good but the SE is better (2 generations newer than the 5S)

Plenty of good Android phones about.

Probably easiest to narrow it down with budget and max screen size

The newest Motorola G4 is getting great reviews and starts at £160.

Nexus 5x and 6p are both very nice.

The new oneplus 3 sounds good.

The Samsung, HTC and LG flagships are all good too but are up with the iPhones in terms of cost
    Last edited by acg; 16th June 2016 at 21:33.

Journeyman
    This is bound to be a hot debate. If you have plenty of music already in iTunes it does make a lot of sense to stay with apple products. You can get music from iTunes into a non apple device but it's not as slick.
    For the money you'll get a better camera on a non Apple device but the 5s camera is not bad at all for general use.
    I think it's a very personal choice as all devices are good these days but I would say if you like your iPad you'll find iPhone ownership to be a very familiar place to be so there will be practically zero learning curve.
    I had an android device for work and iPhone for personal use concurrently a few years ago and the subtle but constant context switching involved drove me to distraction. For that reason alone I don't mix manufacturer any more.
    Hope it helps

Master
    Personally I'm a massive apple fan. The cameras are more than good enough for taking pictures of every day events. You'd struggle to find a new phone with a 'bad camera' IMO.

The not streaming music would lead me to an android though due to many models having expandable memory. That's if you're happy leaving iTunes; I'm sure android have many good media players available to take its place.

One plus 3 is a no brainer if you are buying simfree
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pho...1323353/review

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattleicester View Post
    One plus 3 is a no brainer if you are buying simfree
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pho...1323353/review
    I wouldn't say it's a no brainier as that company doesn't have the best reputation for customer service so the phone would be great if nothing goes wrong but if it does then you will need to send it back to China rather that send it back to a UK retailer and I know a couple of people who have had problems with these phones and they wouldn't buy one from them again, check but the new one looks pretty well specced but I would go for a different Android phone :)
    Last edited by andy armitage; 17th June 2016 at 00:28.

I'd say the iPhoneSE over the 5s, the camera is a major step up -as is almost everything else about it.

I've just swapped from having 2 previous iphones to a Sony Xperia Z5 compact which in my mind is so much better than the iphone 5 whatever I had before. Excellent screen, camera, expandable memory so you can bang on as much music etc (within reason) as you wish, seems well built and sturdy, good size that fits in your pocket unlike most behemoth phones these days. Got it sim free off ebay for about £250.

I have switched from an iPhone 6 to the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge and I would say the android system is far and away better than the IOS operating system. Expandable memory, once practiced with the system it is customisable, longer battery life and cheaper better Apps. The only draw back is that from a music playing device the APPLE has better music quality which is noticeable and the music player functions are intuitive in a way the Samsung is not.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd say the LG G4 is still best bang for buck smartphone excluding Chinese phones.

Awesome camera, screen, replaceable battery, good battery life, expandable memory for your music, 3gb ram, snapdragon 808 (810 has heat issues)

The buttons on the back are a brilliant idea and can't believe they dropped them on the G5. Such a natural place to have them.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I'd say the LG G4 is still best bang for buck smartphone excluding Chinese phones.

Awesome camera, screen, replaceable battery, good battery life, expandable memory for your music, 3gb ram, snapdragon 808 (810 has heat issues)

The buttons on the back are a brilliant idea and can't believe they dropped them on the G5. Such a natural place to have them.
    Yes I stuck with the G4 for that reason, the official additional battery (with a charging caddy) is only £18 or so...

Finding a new or refurbished but two years old HTC M8 will trounce all those above, especially in the camera department.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Finding a new or refurbished but two years old HTC M8 will trounce all those above, especially in the camera department.
    If anyone wants to buy mine they are welcome to it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Bit early to be on the sauce

Craftsman
    I have an M8 and find it a little sluggish at times. Wanted to upgrade to the One Plus 3

Craftsman
    flippin eck you lot are worse than carphone warehouse. I was hoping someone would just tell me what to buy!

In all seriousness i think I am going Apple because I have quite a catalogue on itunes now and it seems the easiest way to access it. Havent decided whether SE or 5s yet - held a '6' in the office today and it was just a bit too big for me.

just need to work out how much difference the better camera makes on the se

Master
    The SE is the newest and will be the more "future proof" of the two. When Apple roll out the new iOS, they limit it to certain models. The 5S will probably make it through for iOS 10, but after that it may not be able to update to the next level. If price isn't an issue I'd get an SE

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    The SE is the newest and will be the more "future proof" of the two. When Apple roll out the new iOS, they limit it to certain models. The 5S will probably make it through for iOS 10, but after that it may not be able to update to the next level. If price isn't an issue I'd get an SE
    Thanks steve, work subsidise part of the cost so the difference between the 2 is £55 for me which i think makes it the SE given what you have said